Jilbaabis are so beautiful

256 posts / 0 new
Last post

the fact that my burgundy jilbaab has a pocket makes it all the more awesomer.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Ok i need to get a few jilbaabs asap.
1)Cuz otherwise i need to change my clothes everyday and i haven't got many proper casual clothes i can wear :x :/
2) before i totally change my mind again

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
1)Cuz otherwise i need to change my clothes everyday and i haven't got many proper casual clothes i can wear :x :/

Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

YEAH!! jilbaab if you're a normal clean kinda person, you can do two a week. Im a lazy kinda a person. So i wear the same one for 5 days.

FIND THEM! you're in B'ham! thats where are the gear is! (asking a jilbaabi might be extremely helpful)

Lilly wrote:

Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

YEAH!! jilbaab if you're a normal clean kinda person, you can do two a week. Im a lazy kinda a person. So i wear the same one for 5 days.

FIND THEM! you're in B'ham! thats where are the gear is! (asking a jilbaabi might be extremely helpful)

my mum's a jilbaabi Wink although she got hers from pk/saudi/sewn herself. The latter is what i intend to have done.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Lilly wrote:

Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

my mum's a jilbaabi Wink although she got hers from pk/saudi/sewn herself. The latter is what i intend to have done.

the latter is the best option indeed! practically free of charge..

haha i see first timers Wink ive been wearing jilbaabs since year 8 and if i ever go out without wearing it (sometimes in summer i wear dresses) i feel like im naked!! seriously its a horrible feeling! plus you dont have to worry about what to wear the night before Blum 3
and i hate college ¬.¬ second year lol

YasminCullen wrote:
haha i see first timers Wink ive been wearing jilbaabs since year 8 and if i ever go out without wearing it (sometimes in summer i wear dresses) i feel like im naked!! seriously its a horrible feeling! plus you dont have to worry about what to wear the night before Blum 3

Blum 3 im just a wear younger than you and i've been wearing it since year 8 too (well...not completely full time, would wear long skirts sometimes but i gave that up pretty quickly)

YasminCullen wrote:

Like wearing the scarf then? that naked feeling if someone guy sees you ACCIDENTLY etc. OMG Fool

and yeah thats my fav part - not having to think about what i wear.

(I really need to get rid of these second thoughts)

YasminCullen wrote:
...ive been wearing jilbaabs since year 8 and if i ever go out without wearing it (sometimes in summer i wear dresses) i feel like im naked!! seriously its a horrible feeling!

I normally wear a jubbah outside and very rarely when I do go out wearing a t-shirt I feel naked. I feel an emptiness as if something's missing.

MuslimBro wrote:
wear a jubbah outside and very rarely when I do go out wearing a t-shirt I feel naked. I feel an emptiness as if something's missing.

a jubbah?

let me google image.

OHHHHH!! Duh!

I've been thinking about starting to wear a jibaab but im facing two problems:
  • 'am i really "ready" to wear one / "cover up"?'
  • "Is it really better to wear one?"

Concentrating on the second one...

See I think that most young women who wear jilbaabs actually look very pretty - whether they're in all black or have colour co-ordinated hijabs, bags etc.

So I'm thinking does the jilbaab actually add to the beauty?

Is it cuz we can only see their faces so they look better?

Or they actually just pretty?

:S

If people do look better in jilbaabs doesn't it go against the whole point of wearing one? :s

So do you think they are mostly very pretty? (and "why"?)

I think its important guys answer this question too.

Some are pretty some not. I have seen some rather shocking ones. Whatever it is, you should be covering up.

It is done purely for the pleasure of allah. In fact you should be wearing the niqaab. To enter jannah you gotta pay the full price. There are no half price specials.

Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul, which sometimes helps me and sometimes opposes me.
-Imam Al-Ghazali

zdc wrote:
In fact you should be wearing the niqaab. To enter jannah you gotta pay the full price. There are no half price specials.

The vast majority consider that optional, so it is NOT included in the "full price". If people wear it for the right reasons, they will probably get a bonus out of it.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

zdc wrote:

Some are pretty some not. I have seen some rather shocking ones. Whatever it is, you should be covering up.

It is done purely for the pleasure of allah. In fact you should be wearing the niqaab. To enter jannah you gotta pay the full price. There are no half price specials.

You don't need to be wearing a jilbaab and niqaab aslong as you're wearing modest clothing its all good. (:

zdc wrote:

You don't need to be wearing a jilbaab and niqaab aslong as you're wearing modest clothing its all good. (:

What have you been smoking??

The Niqaab (Veil)

Al-Haadi Volume 1 Number 3

The laws of the Shariah are meant to protect the chastity and purity of the Muslims. Likewise the purpose of the niqaab is to protect the Muslim woman from the poisonous arrows of Shaitaan - the lustful gazes of all and sundry. Hence we find that in the pure and noble society of the Sahaaba (R.A.), the women regarded exposing their faces as being immodest .

Hazrath Qais bin Shammas (R.A.) reports that a woman came to Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alaihi-Wasallam) to enquire about her son who had just been martyred in a battle. She had come wearing a veil over her face. Observing this a person exclaimed: "You have come to enquire about your martyred son, yet you are veiled?" (ie. despite your extreme grief, you have maintained your composure to such an extent that you have also kept your face covered as always). Hazrath Umme Khallad (R.A.) replied: "I have lost my son, but I have not lost my modesty" (ie. if I have been plunged into grief due to the loss of my son, must I also lose my shame and modesty and bring upon myself another calamity?). (Abu Dawood)

From the above one can clearly understand the importance accorded to the covering of the face by the women of that pure era. Umme Khallad (R.A.) actually equated the uncovering of her face with the loss of shame and modesty.

It was the constant practice of all the women of that era to wear veils. They had adopted this practice eversince the following verse regarding hijaab was revealed wherein Allah Ta'ala says:

"O Messenger, tell your wives and daughters as well as all the other believing women that they should cast over themselves their outer garments (when in public)...".

Hence in the state of Ihraam (when performing Haj or Umrah), the women had to be specifically told not to wear veils since any cloth or garment should not touch their faces while they are in the condition of Ihraam. Hazrath ibn Umar(R.A.) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alaihi-Wasallam) used to prevent the women from wearing the niqaab (veil) or gloves in the state of Ihraam. (Abu Dawood) However, this prohibition does not mean that the face may be exposed to strangers in this state. This is understood from the narration of Aisha (R.A.) wherein she says: "Once we were in the state of Ihraam with Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alaihi-Wasallam). Whenever any rider would pass by us, we would cover our faces by lowering our "garments" (referring to the head covering). After they had gone past us, we would once again uncover our faces." (Mishkaat)

Thus it is evident that the niqaab has its roots in the Quran and Hadith.It is likewise absolutely evident that the pure and chaste women of the time of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) and the Sahaaba (R.A.) always donned the veil. It is only the plot of the enemies of Allah and His beloved Messenger (Sallallahu-Alaihi-Wasallam) who wish to tear down this veil in an attempt to eventually tear away the chastity of Muslim women. Indeed, those who wish to gratify their nafs by gazing at women would necessarily have to remove the veils of these women to achieve their purpose.

However, the following Hadith is food for thought, not only for men but for women as well. Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alaihi-Wasallam) is reported to have said; "Allah Ta'ala has cursed the naazir (one who looks at ghair mahram women- those with whom Nikaah is permitted) as well as the manzoor ilayha (that woman who does not properly conceal and veil herself, thereby making it possible for others to see her). (Mishkaat).

May Allah Ta'ala remove the veil that has fallen upon our intellect so that we may realise the importance of the veil on the faces of women. Aameen.

Never have I dealt with anything more difficult than my own soul, which sometimes helps me and sometimes opposes me.
-Imam Al-Ghazali

From the very first hadith you quote, if it was a requirement, the woman would not have been asked about the veil.

More, you can find sayings where men also covered their faces.

Are you willing to keep your face covered?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
From the very first hadith you quote, if it was a requirement, the woman would not have been asked about the veil.

She was only asked because even in this difficult and dire situation she was wearing the veil. One would expect a mother who has just lost her son to be in a state of grief and utter confusion, that had she forgotten to wear it, perhaps it would have been excusable. But even in this state she did not forget to wear it.

Please provide instances in which men covered their faces, I am quite interested.

-Imam Al-Ghazali

zdc wrote:

Thus it is evident that the niqaab has its roots in the Quran...

You haven't provided a Qur'anic evidence...
zdc wrote:

However, the following Hadith is food for thought, not only for men but for women as well. Rasulullah (Sallallahu-Alaihi-Wasallam) is reported to have said; "Allah Ta'ala has cursed the naazir (one who looks at ghair mahram women- those with whom Nikaah is permitted) as well as the manzoor ilayha (that woman who does not properly conceal and veil herself, thereby making it possible for others to see her). (Mishkaat).

veil means covering, i.e so just covering yourself properly would do i don't think any school of thought or Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) has said its fardh for a woman to wear a veil on her face however the rest of the body excluding hands and feet must be covered properly. (feel free to correct me if im wrong)
zdc wrote:

May Allah Ta'ala remove the veil that has fallen upon our intellect so that we may realise the importance of the veil on the faces of women. Aameen.

Ameen

zdc wrote:
You wrote:

She was only asked because even in this difficult and dire situation she was wearing the veil. One would expect a mother who has just lost her son to be in a state of grief and utter confusion, that had she forgotten to wear it, perhaps it would have been excusable. But even in this state she did not forget to wear it.

Please provide instances in which men covered their faces, I am quite interested.

None of the segment of text you quoted actually commanded the veiling of the face - those texts do not mandate it. There is a mixing in the text you quoted of veiling the face and veiling the rest of the body. Two different things.

More, in the text you post, there is this line:

It was the constant practice of all the women of that era to wear veils.

That is not true as it has been mentioned in a hadith about women atending fajr salaah, that some women's faces could not be seen. Scholars argue that even there, the womens faces that could not be seen was due to darkness and not due to a face veil.

There is also a hadith in sahih Bukhari where the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) married a woman (now our ummul Mu'mineen), but some companions were not sure if the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was taking her as a wife or as a concubine. They were told if she was veiled the next day, she would be the wife of the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) (otherwise, she would be a concubine). Next day, she was veiled.

This shows that veiling of the face was a special priviledge and requirement of teh wives of the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and not something done by all women at the time. Later on, there were some places where veils became common, but in many of them, the veil was a preislamic practice, and since it did not clash with islam, it was allowed to continue and seen as a good thing too.

As for men, there are still some communities in the world where the men cover their faces (men in Tuareg tribes in north africa veil their facesonce they reach adulthood) and prophet Musa (as) covered his face too.

There is also a hadith where if I remember correctly, the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was traveling somewhere with one of the ummul mu'mineen and a third sahabi. either all or some of the camels fell and the sahabi, before going to make sure the ummul mu'mineen was ok, readjusted his coverings so as to cover his face.

READ THIS IF YOU HAVE THE GUTTS

Hijaab - Purdah

Islam is not merely a religion; it is a way of life. Islam constitutes laws of the Qur'aan-e-Kareem and sayings of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam), the objective of which is to regulate man's life in such a manner that will result in it becoming pleasant and fruitful. Therefore, every command of Allah Ta'aala mentioned in the Qur'aan-e-Kareem and every instruction of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) is for the benefit of man and not to harm him and make life difficult for him.

Amongst these beneficial laws is the law of Hijaab for women. The enemies of Islam may criticize Islam for oppressing women and snatching their rights from them by compelling them to conceal themselves in front of strangers. However, if a person ponders with an open mind for a short while, he will be compelled to admit that, in fact, the law of Hijaab is there for the protection of a woman's chastity.

Adultery and illicit relationships have been regarded as evil in all times, by all religions. Adultery (Zina) is a major sin in terms of the Shari'ah. So, to save His servants from comitting this sin, Allah Ta'aala has prohibited them from doing any action that could lead to this grave sin. Therefore, looking at strangers of the opposite sex, listening to their voices, touching them, thinking about them, etc. have been prohibited by the Shari'ah.

Shaytaan, an open enemy of mankind, has vowed to mislead mankind by adopting every possible method. The accursed Shaytaan utilizes women as one of his greatest methods to lead man astray. Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wasallam is reported to have said:

“A woman is an object of concealment. When she leaves her house, Shaytaan glances at her (i.e. he glances at her to lead her astray and lead others astray through her).” (Mishkaat Shareef pg.269)

To assist mankind in protecting themselves from getting caught by the traps set by Shaytaan, Allah Ta'aala has made the hijaab necessary upon the women.

Question:Why did Allah Taa'ala make Hijaab incumbent on women and not men?

Answer: Because of a man’s role as a bread-winner, which requires him to leave the home, Islâm has not ordered him to cover himself. Also, man, being the stronger sex, has always found it easier than a woman to defend himself. A woman is physically weaker then a man and, therefore, Allah Taa'ala has ordered her to cover herself from all ghair mahram men, in order to protect her honour and dignity.

Islâm has made hijâb a symbol of honour and dignity for women. Hijâb has been ordered by Allah Taa'ala, not as western authors would have us believe to subjugate and oppress women, but rather to accord our mothers, sisters, daughters and wives the respect and dignity they deserve. Islâm protects them from the evil eyes of men with sinister motives, and grants them an elevated rank, dignity and such honour never granted to them in the history of humanity.

Islâm has categorically ordered women to seclude themselves from Ghair Mahram men, in the same way as it has ordered men to seclude themselves from ghair mahram women. Islam is a complete religion. Had the command of Hijaab not been given by Allah Taa'ala, then this would definitely have been a shortfall in the Shariah. Hijaab has always been an integral part of the lives of the Ambiyaa (alaihimus salaam), and nations who do not observe hijaab and exhibit immodesty, are deprived of the light (noor) of nubuwwah.

The compulsion of hijaab for women has been mentioned by the Qur'aan-e-Kareem and the Ahaadeeth of Rasulullah ( sallallahu alaihi wasallam). Hazrat Mufti Shafee' Saheb(rahmatullahi alaih) has written in Ma'aariful Qur'aan pg.213 vol.7 that the law of purdah/hijaab is understood from seven verses of the Qur'aan-e-Kareem and seventy Ahaadeeth of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam).

We clearly understand from the Qur'aan that there are different stages of hijaab according to different circumstances. The FIRST stage of hijaab, which, infact, is the most desired hijaab is that a woman should stay at home and conceal herself behind the four walls of her house, as far as possible. Only at times of dire necessity, should she leave her house. This type of hijaab has been explicitly mentioned in the Qur'aan-e-Kareem, wherein Allah Ta'aala says:

"And stay in your houses and make not a dazzling display like that of the former times of ignorance". (Surah Ahzaab:33)

When the law of hijaab was revealed, the Sahaabah( radhiallahu anhum) understood that it meant women should remain indoors. That is why, in many Ahaadeeth, we find that the wives of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) practised accordingly. When narrating the story of Ghazwa-e-Mutah, Ayesha (radhiallahu anha) mentions that when Rasulullah( sallallahu alaihi wasallam) received the news of the martydom of Zaid bin Haritha, Jaa'far bin Abi Taalib and Abdullah bin Rawahaa( radhiallahu anhum), he sat in the Masjid, with signs of sadness and sorrow on his face. Ayesha (radhiallahu anha) says that I viewed this from my room through an opening in the door. (Sahih Bukhari vol.2)

We understand from the above-mentioned verse that it is necessary for women to stay indoors, as far as possible. Yes, in times of necessity it is permissible for her to leave her home, obviously observing the hijaab, strictly.This is the SECOND stage of hijaab, which has been approved of by Shari'ah, for times of necessity only. Rasulullah( sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has given permission to leave the house at times of necessity. It is reported that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) told his wives:

“You have been given permission to go out of the house for your needs”. (Sahih Muslim).

Similarly, it is reported that the wives of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) and other women of that time used to go for out Haj and Umrah.

Allah Taa'ala mentions the Hijaab for a woman who leaves the home, in the Qur’aan-e-Kareem. Allah Taa'ala states:

“O Nabi (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) say to your wives, daughters and believing women that they should suspend over themselves their ‘Jilbaabs’. By donning the Jilbaab, they will be recognized more easily, hence they will not be harmed and Allah Taa'ala is forgiving and Merciful.”

Jilbaab is a large garment, which covers the entire body, including the face, without revealing the shape.

Ibn Abbas (Radiyallâhu A’nhu) says with regards to this verse:

قال على بن أبى طلحة عن ابن عباس رضى الله عنه امر الله المؤمنات اذا خرجن من بيوتهن فى حاجة أن يغطين وجوههن من فوق رؤوسهن بالجلابيب و يبدين عينا واحدا (ابن كثير 3\518)
“Allah Taa'ala has commanded the believing women that when they, out of necessity, emerge from their homes, they should cover their faces, including the head with the Jilbaab and they should only reveal one eye.”

An explanation of a Sahabi (Radiyallâhu A’nhu) is considered to be a shari’ee proof. In fact, some Ulamâ are of the opinion that the statement of Ibn Abbas (Radiyallâhu A’nhu) is “marf’u”, that is, a saying and hadeeth of Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam).

In Ibn Abbas (Radiyallâhu A’nhu)’s statement, permission is granted for the eye to be revealed, only due to the necessity of being able to see the road, otherwise even this should have been concealed.

Umme Salmah (Radiyallâhu A’nha) says: “When this verse was revealed, the women of the Ansaar came out donned in their black cloaks (and such peace descended on them) as if crows were on their heads.”

Abu Ubaidah Salmani (Radiyallâhu A’nhu) has mentioned that the women used to don their cloaks over their heads in such a manner that only the eyes were revealed in order to see the road.
So, this is infact the manner in which a woman should be when she leaves her house at times of necessity.

Another verse of the Qur'aan-e-Kareem, further substantiates the fact that women should not be seen by men, even at the time of necessary communication. Allah Ta'aala states:

"And when you people ask the wives (of Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wasallam) for anything, ask them from behind a hijaab/screen." (Surah Ahzaab:53)

When such great, noble and righteous people like the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum) were commanded by Allah Ta'aala to observe the hijaab when communicating with the purest of women (the wives of Rasulullah sallallahu alaihi wasallam), who are we not to observe the hijaab and to criticize it?

On another occasion, Allah Taa'ala states in the Quraan-e-Kareem:

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and protect their private parts and not to show off their adornment except that which is apparent.” (Surah Noor:32)

Allah Taa'ala, here, commands the Muslim women to protect their private parts. This command is not only confined to the private parts. No intelligent person can doubt that it is essential to cover the face in order to protect the private parts. When the face is left exposed, it leads to strange men staring at it, and pondering over its beauty and achieving pleasure. Hence, this is the first stage, which could eventually lead to adultery and fornication. Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) says, “The eyes commit zina and their zina is to look……and the private parts testify that or falsify it.” Therefore, when the covering of the face leads to the protection of the private parts, then it (concealment of the face) will also be included in the command of Allah Taa'ala to protect the private parts.

Allah Taa'ala further commands the believing women that they should not display their beauty, except that which co-incidentally appears. Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud (Radiyallâhu A’nhu) has stated that this exclusion refers only to the outer garments, such as the burqah, niqab etc. These will naturally be seen when a woman is forced, out of necessity, to leave the home. Abdullah bin Abbas (Radiyallâhu A’nhu), on the other hand, is of the opinion that it is permissible for a woman to reveal her face and the palms of her hands to ghair mahram men. The reason being that during the natural course of transactions, these might become revealed. This difference of opinion between two such eminent Sahaabah (Radiyallâhu an hum), has resulted in a difference of opinion amongst the Fuqaha(Jurists): Is it permissible for a woman to reveal her face and palms to ghair mahrams or not?

و ينظر من الأجنبية و لو كافرة مجتبى إلى وجهها و كفيها فقط للضرورة (الدر المختار6\369)

و أما النظر إلى الأجنبيات فنقول يجوز النظر إلى مواضع الزينة الظاهرة منهن و ذلك الوجه و الكف فى ظاهر الرواية كذا فى الذخيرة (الهندية 5\369)
However, despite this difference of opinion, the Fuqaha are unanimously agreed that where there is a fear that looking at the face and palms might lead to temptation and fitnah, then, under no circumstance is it permissible for a woman to reveal them. It is obligatory for a woman to conceal them. If, by any chance, they become revealed, then it is obligatory on the men to refrain from looking at them.
فإن خاف الشهوة أو شك امتنع النظر إلى وجهها فحل النظر مقيد بعدم الشهوة و إلا فحرام (الدر المختار 6\370)
و إن غلب على ظنه انه يشتهى فهو حرام كذا فى الينابيع (الهندية 5\369)

Furthermore, it is the consensus of the latter Ulama that the present era is one of great trial and immodesty, and thus it is incumbent for women to cover their faces, in today’s times. The Fuqaha have explicitly mentioned this with regards to their era, that it is incumbent for a woman to cover her face. What can we say about today’s times of trial and tribulation!

و أما فى زماننا فمنع من الشابة و غيره(الدالمختار 6\370)
Allah Taa'ala then goes on to order the believing women:

“and they should draw their veils over their bosoms”

The word Khumur, that appears in this verse actually refers to a cloth used by women to cover their heads and faces. It was a practice in the days of ignorance for the women to cover their heads with such a cloth and to throw both parts of the cloth behind their backs. Allah Taa'ala has ordered that these be used to cover their bosoms. Therefore, when she is commanded to draw the veil over her bosom, she will, as a direct result, or because of correct analogy (qiyaas) be required to cover her face. Some Ulamâ have taken the meaning of this verse that the entire body should be covered. The reason being that Allah Taa'ala has ordered women to conceal all their beauty in the same verse, just before this. Thus, in essence, the gist of the whole verse is contained in this meaning.

The face is one of the most captivating parts of a woman’s anatomy. We find that when a person searches for a beautiful woman, he asks only about her face. If the face is beautiful, then not much importance is given to the rest of the body. Similarly, when a person says “she is beautiful”, it is understood that it is the beauty of her face that is being referred to. When this point has been understood, then we should ponder about how we could ever consider that Allah Taa'ala would command the covering of the rest of the body and permit the face to be left uncovered.

Allah Taa'ala continues:

“And they should not strike their feet in such a way as to draw attention to their hidden beauty”(Noor:31)

A woman should not stamp her feet in such a way that her jewellery jingles and attracts the attention of ghair mahram men. When it is not permissible for a ghair mahram man to hear the jingling of a woman’s jewellery, then it goes without saying that it is inappropriate to listen to her voice either, which undoubtedly is one of her most attractive beauties. We will go one step further and say that when it is not permissible for a ghair mahram man to listen to the jingling of her jewellery, for fear of attracting him, then how can it be permissible to open her face, which is definitely her most attractive feature. Which is the graver temptation for a man: listening to the anklets of a woman whilst being ignorant of who she is, how beautiful she is, young or old, ugly or beautiful; or looking at an unveiled, young, beautiful, tender bright face which tempts one towards evil?

Allah Taa'ala states in the Quraan-e-Kareem:

“And as for those elderly women, who do not expect wed-lock, there is no sin upon them if they discard their outer garments in such a way, as not to display their beauty. But to refrain (from discarding their outer garments) is better for them. And Allah Taa'ala is All Hearer All Knower.” (Noor:60)

In the above verse, “to discard their outer garments” does not mean they should become naked. It means those garments, which are worn over the clothes. There is no harm for them in discarding such outer garments. Allah Taa'ala has confined this command to elderly women, which proves that young women will be commanded to don those garments, which cover the body completely. If it was permissible for young women to discard their outer clothing as well, then no benefit will be derived in specifying elderly women in the verse.

Allah Taa'ala further reveals:

“There is no sin upon them(women) concerning their fathers, their sons, their brothers, their nephews, other women and their slaves.”(Surah Ahzaab:55)

The verse gives women permission to remove the veil, when they come in contact with these specific people. Ibn Katheer (rahmatullahi alaihi) says that when Allah Taa'ala commanded the women to don the veil and to seclude themselves from strange men, thereafter, Allah Taa'ala also mentioned that it is not compulsory to seclude themselves from their close family members. This verse is a clear proof that besides close family, a woman has to conceal her face in front of ghair mahrams.

From the verses of the Qur'aan-e-Kareem mentioned above, together with those verses (verses no.30 & 31 of Surah Noor) regarding the lowering of the gaze for men and women, we clearly understand that observing the hijaab is NECESSARY. The highest form of fulfilling this command of Allah Ta'aala is by staying indoors. However, if due to necessity, the woman has to leave the house then she should cover herself completely, as explained above.

Those who are her Mahaarim (i.e. those men whom she cannot get married to at all; eg.her father, brother, paternal uncle, maternal uncle, son, etc.) can look at certain limbs of her body, which are haraam for others to see, if there is no fear of lust being created. These limbs are: Her face, head, hair, hands and arms, feet and shins, neck and chest. (Hidaayah vol.4 pg.461)

If we study the Ahaadeeth of Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam), we find ample evidence to prove that covering the entire body, including the face, is necessary for a woman in front of ghair mahrams.

Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) has mentioned:

“When one of you intends marrying a woman ,then there is no harm in him looking at her, even if she doesn’t know.” (Musnad Ahmed)

In the above Hadeeth, Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) has negated sin from one who intends marriage, provided he looks at the woman with the intention of marriage. This clearly shows that he will be sinning if he looks at a woman without the intention of marriage. Everyone knows that the aim of looking at a woman for marriage is to see how beautiful she is and beauty is judged by looking at the face. The rest of the body is generally not considered to be the criterion for beauty. Hence, it will be said that a male intending marriage may look at the face of the woman he intends to marry, and by way of elimination, we will say that it will not be permissible to look at the face of a woman, without the intention of marriage.

When Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) commanded the women to be present at the musalla(a place where the Eid salaah is performed-normally on the outskirts of the town),they replied, “O Nabi of Allah Taa'ala, there is one amongst us who does not possess a cloak(by which she can cover her entire body including the face). Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) replied, “Her Muslim sister should lend her one of her cloaks i.e. so that she does not come to the musalla without a cloak. (BUKHARI,MUSLIM)

Hence, the general norm amongst the wives of the Sahaabah (Radiyallâhu an hum) was that no woman would go out of her house without a cloak and fully covered. If she did not possess a cloak then they could not fathom her coming out without wearing one. For this reason, Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) did not say that she should go to the musalla without a cloak, but instead told them that they should lend her a cloak. When Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) did not grant them permission to go to the musalla for Eid salaah without a cloak, how will it be permissible for women to roam around freely today with their faces uncovered.

Hadhrat Aisha (Radiyallâhu A’nha) narrates:

“Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) used to perform the Fajr salaah and the believing women used to come fully clad in their cloaks. They then used to return to their homes, without anyone recognizing them.”

The Hadeeth clearly shows that concealing the entire body was second nature to the Sahaabah (Radiyallâhu an hum)’s wives. The Sahaabah (Radiyallâhu an hum) hold a lofty status in the eyes of Allah Taa'ala and their Imaan remains unmatched to this day. Hence, when the practice of the Sahaabah(Radiyallâhu an hum) was to wear the cloak and cover their faces, how can we deviate from their path?

Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) says:

“Whoever lowers his trouser out of pride, Allah Taa'ala will not look at him with mercy on the day of Qiyamah.”

Umme Salmah (Radiyallâhu A’nha) asked:

“O Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam), How should women wear their trouser?”

Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) replied, “They should lower it a hand span.”

Umme Salmah (Radiyallâhu A’nha) replied, “ In that case their feet will remain open?”

Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) answered, “They should lower it an arm’s length, not more.”

The above hadeeth shows that it is necessary to conceal the feet and this was common practice amongst the Women of the Sahaabah (Radiyallâhu an hum). Very little temptation is caused as a result of looking at the feet, in comparison to the hands and face. It is highly impossible that the Shariah would command the concealing of the feet and permit the opening of the hands and face.

Who could be more Allah-fearing then Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam)? However, the women used to cover their faces in front of Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam), as well.

Aisha (Radiyallâhu A’nha) says:

“A woman wanted to pass a note to Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam), inquiring something from him. She did so from behind a veil.”(ABU DAWOOD, NASA’EE, MISHKAAT)

It is stated in Majaalisul Abraar:

"فالمرأة كلما كانت مخفية من الرجال كان دينها أسلم"
“The more a woman conceals herself from men, the more her deen and Imaan will be safeguarded.”

Once, a young Sahabi (Radiyallâhu A’nhu) had been martyred in a battle. His mother presented herself before Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam), fully clad in a cloak, with her face covered. Some people present in the gathering exclaimed with surprise that even at the time of such a calamity she went through the trouble of covering her face. On hearing this, the mother replied:

“I have lost my son, not my modesty and shame!!”

Hasan Basri (rahmatullahi alaihi) used to say:

"أتدعون نساءكم ليزاحمن العلوج فى الأسواق قبح الله من لا يغار" (احياء العلوم)

“Do you leave your women to roam freely in the bazaars and market places, crowded with kuffaar?! May Allah Taa'ala destroy he who does not possess any ghairah (self honour and respect)”

Fatimah (Radiyallâhu A’nha) was asked as to what is best for women. She replied:

"أن لا ترى رجلا و لا يراها رجل"
“Her gaze should not fall on a man and a man’s gaze should not fall on her.”

Rasulullah (Sallallâhu Alaihi wa Sallam) was very pleased with her answer.(MUSNAD BAZZAAR,DAARU QUTNI)

This was the modesty and shame of the Queen of the Women of Jannah. In fact, she had so much modesty that she made wasiyyah that after her death, at the time of burial, her grave should be covered from all sides with a cloth, so that the shape of her body is not revealed. She could not fathom that a ghair mahram see the shape of her body even after she passed away. The body, at the time of burial is clad in a white cloth (kafn) from head to toe, and nobody is attracted to a dead body. However, despite all of this, Fatima (Radiyallâhu A’nha) was not satisfied and instructed that the grave be shielded from the glances of ghair mahrams.. It is in practice of her sunnah that even today, the grave of a woman is covered from all sides with a cloth, at the time of burial.

Some harms of not covering the face
1. Temptation: A woman tempts others towards herself when she beautifies herself using make up.

2. The removal of shame and modesty, which is an integral part of Imaan.

3. Men become enticed by her.

4. The free intermingling of men and women. When a woman thinks herself to be equal to men as far as opening the face and roaming around freely is concerned, it will be impossible for her to be modest. Hence, sin and evil will become rife.

SUMMARY OF THE ABOVE-MENTIONED FACTS:

We realize that the highest and most desired form of concealing one’s self for a woman is to stay indoors as far as possible. Out of some necessity, if she has to go outside, she should fulfill the following conditions:

1. She should lower her gaze

2. She should be fully covered, including the face.

3. She should not adorn herself with jewellery, make-up,etc.

4. She should wear old and tattered clothes. Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) has mentioned:

"و لكن يخرجن و هن تفلات"(رواه ابو داؤد\91)

“Women should come out in worn and tattered clothes”
Umar (radhiyallahu anhu) used to say:

"اعروا النساء يلزمن الحجال"( احياء العلوم)

“Don’t give women lavish clothes, they will remain in the home”

Umar (radhiyallahu anhu) said this because a woman does not like to leave the home in a dissheveled state. Thus, if she does not have lavish outfits to show-off to the world, she would be disinclined from going out.

5. She should not apply any perfume.

Yes, there are a few people in front of whom she may reveal certain parts of her body and they may see them on condition that there is no fear of lust being created. These people are known as her Mahaarim (plural of Mahram). Other than them, no other man may, under general circumstances, see her at all.

The law of Mahaarim has been clearly mentioned in Surah Noor (verse no.31), wherein Allah Ta'aala has excluded eight types of men from the law of Hijaab for a woman. These men are allowed to see her face, head, hair, hands, arms, feet, shins, neck and chest (on condition there is no fear of lust). Besides the husband, the other seven types of men are not allowed to see the rest of her body. ( Hidayah Vol.4 pg.461).

May Allah Ta'aala save us from the fitnahs of society and grant the ability to follow the complete Shari’ah and not only those aspects, which suit us. Ameen.

-Imam Al-Ghazali

No, I didn't have the guts to read all that.

Did you?

It is once again mixing two concepts - one of hijab and one of niqab.

It presents evidence of hijab and then it is assumed that it also applied to face veils.

I contend that it does not. Some others contend that it does, but in such cases you cannot enforce the more strict interpretation upon others but only the bit where there is agreement.

Yes, you are allowed to wear a niqab. But you cannot enforce it upon others while there is a second (valid) opinion with its sources, which I provided, that it is not compulsory.

The biggest thing however against your stance however is not what you say but by how you behave. You have replied to muslimahs on here win manners which are less than decent while demanding the world from them.

(yes, there is a difference between "this is allowed between husband and wife" compared with "I want you to do this for me")

Are you kidding me?!

That is way to long. If you think its worthy of reading you should have typed it up separately in different posts or something. Also if its not your own words please quote an extract and then add the link to the comment - or atleast credit/reference where you got it from!
And the bold bit "read if you've got the guts" - so amateurish and lame!

From the very first bit. I see it talks about hijab. No one said hijab isn't necessary.

Are you kidding me?!

That is way to long. If you think its worthy of reading you should have typed it up separately in different posts or something. Also if its not your own words please quote an extract and then add the link to the comment - or atleast credit/reference where you got it from!
And the bold bit "read if you've got the guts" - so amateurish and lame!

From the very first bit. I see it talks about hijab. No one said hijab isn't necessary.

Ok fine, don't read it, I won't force you. You can take the horse to the water but you can't make it drink. Most of you already have your preconceived ideas, there is not much that can be changed, you keep on justifying things YOU believe is right. Need I say to your OWN detriment.

Most of you girls on this website think I am a pervert right. I am a muslim and believe in hayaa, yet you see the crookedness in me right.

So how on earth do you expect the millions of non muslim men, who don't follow the same level of ethics and morality as muslims, to not be perverted??

Do you think when you are walking in a shopping mall displaying your face and beauty that they (non muslim men) are not looking at you in a perverted manner, do you think they are not stripping the hijab right off your body piece by piece, do you think your non muslim boss or colleagues do not strip you with their eyes everytime you walk through the door. If you answer no to any of these, you clearly don't have a slightest clue about men...

-Imam Al-Ghazali

one of the jilbaabis in school, was wearing a tasbeeh around her wrist too. Dunno if it was meant to be an "accessory" or she actually used it though lol

one of the jilbaabis in school, was wearing a tasbeeh around her wrist too.

Must have been a really long tasbeeh...

I didn't read all of it either BUT (someone might have already said this but i'm not prepared to check through the posts =S) men have clothing requirements too

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Of course they do! From navel to knees, and us being muslims there's always the atgument if those two bodyparts are included... There's also the thing abt trousers not going below ankles, but im not sure abt the stance of different madhabs on the subject or if its unanimous thing... and there's also the thawb/kamees, which is sunnah BUT TOPIC IS SIX PAGES LONG and has mostly being ON topic. Let's keep it that way...there's an 'islamic dress cose' topic somewhere...

Just after finishing Salat AlDuhur the other day, a girl complimented my abaya. After thanking her, she commented, “I feel like a abaya is more comfortable, but I’m too afraid to try it.”

“Yes!” I exclaimed, “I’m one to ask. I’ve tried it all! Sweat pants, jeans, blouses, skirts, and finally, the abaya. And it can’t be better!”

And I wasn’t just saying that. My mind immediately went back to a day when my mother and I were out shopping a couple of months ago. I was holding a cotton jacket between my hands in the store, and I could picture the jacket off the hanger and part of a potential piece of a hijab outfit – the ones I used to struggle trying to construct. I recalled the endless shopping nightmares of trying to find something loose, not see-through, fashionable, comfortable, cheap, my size, and the list goes on. I sighed out loud at those memories and mentioned to my mom, “Alhamdulilah that Allah has had mercy upon me with abayas!”

Now I confessed to the girl, “I didn’t realize what a headache the hijab-outfit-construction process was until I wore the abaya and felt the difference. I thought by wearing regular clothes I would be more comfortable. But I was wrong.” Shaytan always tries to convince us that the sin we are doing is the more comfortable route, and that obeying Allah is the harder way. But that’s rarely the case.

So if you’d like to take your hijab to the next level and “the comfort factor” is what’s holding you back, trust me when I say that I’ve found the abaya to be the most comfortable choice from all aspects. Now, when I go out shopping, my wardrobe options are no longer as limited because I know I’m wearing it at home or under my abaya. When I’m at the university, I can move freely because I no longer have to worry that something will show if I point or bend down to pick something up. I don’t have to worry that eating an extra meal will shift my favorite outfit from “kinda halal” to the “too tight” category. The abaya gives me that extra room to live.

I won’t argue with you that jeans are super-comfortable. But worn alone, they are not hijab-comfortable or conscience-comfortable for that matter. Abayas have too long been associated with negative and even scary descriptions, when in reality, they are the most practical, suitable, pretty, and easy options for hijab. So for all my dear sisters looking for the comfort factor, look no further. The abaya is here.

Taken from

Taken from

Shaytaan is such a p.i.t.a!

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Truth's_Razors wrote:

Taken from

Shaytaan is such a p.i.t.a!

lol, took me a few secs to work that one out. Yes, he is a p.i.t.a :x

Pages