The Revival HomePage

272 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Admin" wrote:
hey can you atleast say what ypu want where?

Otherwise that comment has no purpose, other than to ridicule me... hang on... that IS why you posted it then? ok That is enough. Your ban is in the post... as soon as I find a ruddy stamp...

:twisted:

lol, admins right theres no point criticising if you dont also offer a suggestion to fix it.
Otherwise you suceed in only hurtng admins feelings, he works hard on it ppl have some sense.

Back in BLACK

OK, a slight complication...

Originally I wanted an events section aswell as a tv guide to be linked from the homepage. I discarded this idea when I ran into trouble.

Now that trouble is gone...

But it leaves behind a new headache. Of getting a layout that works with everything.

I am already struggling here... so any idea's?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I have added the tv guide.

I think this has given me some more options, and ways to resolve the placement issues...

Imagine a roll of film next to multimedia, and a tv next to the tv guide...

I am not sure where to put 'from the forums'.

Next to the announcements, I think I will have the search and the e-group boxes.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

whats the latest admin....

we need new site up soooon...

Things don't seem to be moving, do they Admin?

not going anywhere atm.

I cannot get everything to fit.

Admin when you've got time.

On the main site when you click on the Current Issue pickture and then it brings up a couple of links to the different articles at the bottom in the 'Current Issue' box on the right it also displays the previous revival issue (Eid Not Weed) i dont think that was intentional but when you get time, fix it... its prob something really simple anyway.

Infact alot of the old links when clicked on display the 'Eid not Weed' issue rather than the current 'Heave for a G?'... oh and im pinching the revival intro thingy for the you-know-what Wink

Back in BLACK

Fixed.

[url=

I like their homepage.

Nice, simple, professional, elegant.

no content?

As always that is the bit I really struggle with.

"Admin" wrote:
no content?

As always that is the bit I really struggle with.

Well i was gonna say it looks like they bought a template and filled in the blanks... even i can do that... even my little sister can do that.

But yeah... your critique is probably more out there.

Back in BLACK

I think there is no place for announcements on the new homepage... Its not really utilised.

What do you think?

There is no real problem with using a template.

There is a [url= site[/url] dedicated to this. (if you see any good combinations in there, let me know. I have not had much of a look.)

Ive never liked the over-use of Flash... too tacky.

But it has this whole newspaper look about it... havent decided if i hate that or what. That and the screens sooooo small.... what did they develop it on a 15 inch monitor... helloooo ppl get with the times.

I think a homepage should be able to stretch the length of the viewers screen... regardless of its size. Like i said... looks like they've just slapped a template on the web and filled in the blanks... no imagination... no soul.... too obvious.

Back in BLACK

on the oswd link I gave above, there is [url=.

It can be well adapted, but I may be too far in my design to give it a good go.

I also have a 15 inch CRT monitor. i was unwilling tomove before to TFT's due to colour reproduction. (I can notice the diference even though I am not supposed to be able to....)

Now there are 16.7milloion colour TFT monitors out there, I may need to invest.

I plan on going for something widescreen...

Back to webdesign, there is a real problem with stretchning designs. They always have a limt outside which they will not work.

Look at the big sites out there. The bbc. etc. They all limit the width.

I also limit the width on the main site, but by ems, which worlks by using the text size used by the viewer. Even here, the images do not resize.

the max width for a readable text should be around 35em. I use around 30em.

The full website width is 48.6em, but I may extend that to around 60em. That will not show the full page on 15inch monitors, but should work adequately for others. This is all just a thoiught atm.
[b]
Should the announcements section disappear?[/b]

I just ran the currently used homepage (not the one I am working on) through silktide.

[url= results are interesting.[/url]

It does give areas to focus on.

Alot of good stuff, and it gives info on what needs to be improved.

Apparently we break the British Disability Discrimination Act. I should sort that out.

The website seems to be popular, and fast. wahey!

[b]Design was given a 9.9 out of 10!!!!!!![/b]

Interestin!

Based on your webpage title, we guessed that your website / company name is "The Revival". In the text on your homepage, these appear to be the most significant phrases:

galloway israeli aggression
galloway israeli
george galloway israeli
eu asked

Why is george galloway mentioned so much?

This website is popular (approx #139,477 in the world) >>thats actually cool considering how many sites there are!

There is only one mention of galloway, but somehow it used that... dunno why.

I have got rid of announcements on the [url= page[/url]. From the forums is also Missing in action. However, the stuff now seems to be in the right places. (one article has gone onto a new line, but that is easily fixed.)

What do you lot think of the layout?

(I will soon concentrate on colours and images if people like the layout...)

Assalaamualaykum

...The website was created from scratch....and it was designed to be simple and as user friendly as possible, so that even computer novices can use it.
It is that size because we wanted to cater for all monitor sizes and we did not want to discriminate people who have a 15" monitor!

I think one way revival can improve their homepage is by cutting down on the links, as it may be confusing. Make it more simple by having them in different categories instead of trying to display too much on the homepage.

Also, the font should be consistent, i.e the main body text should have the same font as the menu on the right.

Just a few ideas, you dont have to take them if you dont like them

Also, we shouldnt see this as a 'competition' as in 'mines better than yours' we should work together in fulfilling our obligations of Da'wah, but there can be good competition i.e racing one another in performing good deeds.

This reminds of how Hadhrat Umar(ra) always tried to beat Hadhrat Abu Bakr(ra) and never used to be able to beat him! SubhanAllah!

As-Sabiqoon website:

Its healthy competition. Both trying to improve ourselves.

by homeopage, I mean the [url= homepage[/url].

I think I have got the things in the right place now.

I now have to concentrate on colours and images.

I like the As-Sabiqoon site. I like its layout aswell. Unfortunately such a thing will not work for us. I have already cut out alot of content to get the look to where it is.

The layout is done (I think). Now I need to work on the style.

(someone comment on the layout please!)

[url= test homepage[/url].

Comments please.

I think I will have one more change. I will replace the article bar (the bar with the 5 images) with a single banner for the forums.

The pics of the previous issues should be further down the page probably at the bottom.

Not sure about the red tho.

Back in BLACK

Looking good.

Remember to change the font and colours.

"Admin" wrote:
[url= test homepage[/url].

Comments please.

I think I will have one more change. I will replace the article bar (the bar with the 5 images) with a single banner for the forums.

very goos , few changes:

1. red bar at top looks out of place with rest of site

2. dont, i repeat DONT get rid of bar with 5 images...that is best bit and most attractive bit of site....
rather another 5 picture bar should be added right at the bottom of the site.... (eg Q & A, agony aunt etc)no it wont be cramed admin...

3. need links from forums eg. 'hottest topics'...they can be in the place where search and e-group are...these can be moved down...

need a flash bar to promote forums...

4. get rid of tv guide.. add that in red bar at the top underneath revival banner...in its place add ANNOUNCEMENTS here...

5. at moment we only have one main article at top...should have space for two...

also may be a poll section

without the above ppl will come on site for five minutes, and then just leave or go on forums....

I think the red looks good. however i dont like that pics which link to the articles they are a bit too bright and kinda dont go with the whole thing :?

All in all its great. Admin why dont u change the revival heading on this forum from orange to red so to give the two sites similarity and change the green to the greyish colour on the site?

"Angel" wrote:
All in all its great. Admin why dont u change the revival heading on this forum from orange to red so to give the two sites similarity and change the green to the greyish colour on the site?

I will not change the main site til the homepage is ready. otherwise its a moving target. everything always changing.

And 'Ed you want way way way too much on the home page.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
1. red bar at top looks out of place with rest of site

I think it's the rest of the site which out of place with the red bar.

2. dont, i repeat DONT get rid of bar with 5 images...that is best bit and most attractive bit of site....
rather another 5 picture bar should be added right at the bottom of the site.... (eg Q & A, agony aunt etc)no it wont be cramed admin...

The 5 image bar is so 90s. Get rid of it.

Replace it with a category bar that's more up to date.

need a flash bar to promote forums...

Flash is good. We need flash.

4. get rid of tv guide.. add that in red bar at the top underneath revival banner...in its place add ANNOUNCEMENTS here...

Announcements needs to come back. But not at the expense of the TV guide.

We need features on the homepage that are regularly updated. It keeps people coming back.

The past issues bar needs to go. It takes up too much space and takes the focus ff the website. It's not like the website is here to promote the mag - they complement each other, right? But the website gets priority because it has more info and is therefore the real deal. Just have the current issue and a text link to past issues.

I agree with most of what you say beast.

Except two points.

1. The past issues. I think we need to have some focus on the magazine. It could be lower down, but I think that is needed.

2. Flash. I do not like the thing. I may use it though, as it would be good for a banner for the forums. This in turn will mean I can say missout on things such as 'from the forums'.

I cannot see how to fit announcements. It was not updated much either, so I see it as good riddance...

For feature, I can have another underneath it, and then on the left instead of having 10 articles, maybe have 15 or something? that would show the two 'Ed wants... but it will not work IMO.

Pages