Pack Your Bags I’m Taking You to Pakistan…

272 posts / 0 new
Last post

"irfghan" wrote:
Because it more closely resembles Eng-land.

not really

its cos its the LAND of Paki's

hence "Pakiland"

If you want to say Land of Pakis, then say Pakistan!

lol I thought "Paki" was a made up word

some kinda acronym for a buncha locations including kashmir

"Constantine" wrote:

That's one theory.

But actually, 'pak' is an urdu word for 'pure'.

Land of the Pure.

Pakistan Its a dual word... from locations, and also means land of the pure.

P from punjab... k from kashmir... no idea about the rest ... think stan from Balochistan...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"irfghan" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:

That's one theory.

But actually, 'pak' is an urdu word for 'pure'.

Land of the Pure.

Well isn't that just slightly elitist

"Admin" wrote:
Pakistan Its a dual word... from locations, and also means land of the pure.

P from punjab... k from kashmir... no idea about the rest ... think stan from Balochistan...

yeah I remeber listeing to a speech on that

apparenty allama iqbal spilt them letters up

I also forgot what each one of them stood for

"Constantine" wrote:

Well isn't that just slightly elitist

maybe.

So ethnically are "pakis" related to one group in the region more than another?

"Constantine" wrote:

Pakistanis are a mixture of ethnicities I would think.

There's Persian, Afghan ethnicity in there somewhere too.

More about regions that tribes etc.

baloch was a region, same with punjab, sindh etc...

Not elitist...

But originally there was a plan for a united India.

later this was scuppered, and India became Hindu stan... land of the Hindu's.

So muslims chose land ofthe pure... It was a division on religious lines.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"irfghan" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:

So there isn't some grand pakistani empire of yester year that pakistanis look back and "ahhh our glorious history" or something

there were the mughals... I think...

But no.

A new begining.

The regions were chosen for because they were predominantly muslim.

"Constantine" wrote:
"irfghan" wrote:
"Constantine" wrote:

So there isn't some grand pakistani empire of yester year that pakistanis look back and "ahhh our glorious history" or something

No.

But each region tends to have its own ethnicity and culture.

Some regions have many diff tribes, cultures etc.

Difference are result of immigration and stuff.

No Pakistani Empire.

Pakistan also has many diff langiuages. Only 12% speak Urdu as their fist language.

Here's Wiki on ethnicity in Pk.

Ethnic Groups
Punjabis comprise the largest ethnic group in the country. Other important ethnic groups include: Pashtun/Afghans, Sindhis, Gakhars, Balochis, Muhajirs and Seraikis. The numerous other ethnic groups are mainly found in the northern parts of the country such as Turwalis, Kafiristanis, Hindko, Brahui, Kashmiris, Khowar, Shina and so forth. There are also sizeable numbers of refugees from neighboring Afghanistan, who are found mainly in the NWFP and Baluchistan - in the 1980s, Pakistan accommodated over three million Afghan refugees - the largest refugee population in the world, which includes Pashtuns, Tajiks, and Hazaras among others. A sizeable number of Bengali immigrants are mainly concentrated in Karachi. A smaller group of refugees from Iran can also be found in the country and numbers in the hundreds of thousands. People of Sephardic Jewish descent are also found in the country and probably number less than 200 since the creation of Israel.

I take it this hodgepodge is more or less the result of western imperialism mixing everything up?

guys ur boring me........ :roll:

if u want to discuss the boring History of pakistan-split this topic

No that is kashmir.

This was a hodgepodge of people wanting freedom.

United by the urge for freedom.. and united by religion...

"Constantine" wrote:
I take it this hodgepodge is more or less the result of western imperialism mixing everything up?

Even before that there was a mixture in that region.

Partition stuck it all together in one state.

You get a bit of seperatism in Pk today as a result.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
guys ur boring me........ :roll:

if u want to discuss the boring History of pakistan-split this topic

so you can get back to the shopping hotspots in pakistan?

Never!

i wont discuss shopping

but i want to discuss this topic

if i wanted to have a lame Paki history lesson I'd sit with my grandad :roll:

lol never marry a persian.

They love to regale people with droning pointless stories about Persian history.

Ugh

"naj" wrote:

i've never really been hit by my parents BUT i know i wont hesitate in raising my hands to my own children when their in the wrong, personally i think shouting isnt as effective.

i think them who have to beat their kids in order to dicipline them have failed as parents

i would never raise my hands to my kids

the last time i went to pak was when i was 14. i went for 5 weeks

the first week i was in lahore. i hated it cuz of culture shock and heat, (it was august)

then went to nr fslabaad, and i loved it!!! it was soo much fun in the villages. i grew accustomed to the culture and by the time i got back to lahore in my last week there, i was crying i didnt want to leave.

i was miserable by the time i got home

im interested in da history of india and pakistan...lil sis should start up a few girly topics so dat the boys can discuss heavy topics without interuption... Lol

i was chattin to an indian muslim yesterday…we was watchin da cricket…india whupped south africa…good match…irfan pathan is one hell of a player…

he doesn’t like pakistan…he argues dat the creation of pakistan betrayed millions and millions of indian muslims who were left abandoned in a hindu dominated state…left to be percecuted and discriminated against…

then there was all the deaths in the partician and so mnay ppl forced from their homes...

then there was pakistans war on bangladesh…millions more die and suffer…

then there is the scandal of india and pakistan wasting untold millions on nuclear weapons, while widespread poverty remains in both countries…

now pakistan demands £millions for victims of the earthquake…well maybe they shouldnt have wasted so much on the army…

the division of india was a major mistake…

y’all shoulda listened to Ghandi…

:!:

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

St George, you can only live in a country freely as equals.

If gandhi and his supporters wanted a hindu state, muslims would be second class citizens.

It was at this stage that the drive for a separate muslim state came.

Muhammad Ali Jinnah originally wanted a single state, but was forced to change his mind when he saw what was going on.

[the pakistani treatment of Bangladesh was shocking!]

The separation was brutal, but it would have been so even if it was a single state.

Alot of people migrated. alot got kiled migrating. It was bloody.

No country could have singlehandedly coped with the earthquake.

The disasster area is bigger than england.

imagine every single road between london and manchester destroyed. Imagine snow storms in the middle. Imagine unpassable mountains in th middle.

And now add the almost daily 'aftershocks' that frequently go over on the richter scale.

Do you think it would have been any different?

Granted due to better buildings, the damage he may have been less. but no country would have coped.

Even America (richest country?) accepted foreign help in New orleans.

Pakistan = Land of the Pure, and this is the most obvious and apparent meaning.

It was called this in opposition to india which was preceived to be polluted with idolatory and paganism, hence the reference to purity.

Ethnically there is not one pakistani people, they are aplit broadly as sindhi, balouch, pathan, punjabi, kashmiri, farsi, katchi. There are others aswell but these are the main ethnicities, and in addition some ethnicities are crossbreed between two major ones, eg tchatchi's are the result of pathan-punjab fusion.

In regards to partition, there is a lot of dispute regarding it. Major ulama both supported and opposed the idea of partition and they had valid reasons. Now there is no benefit in discussing the partition in great detail or with great emotion.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Katchi? Are you sure you haven't just made that up?

Sounds rude.

Pages