Women and Islam

182 posts / 0 new
Last post

why not?

as long its a segregated pool... and there is modesty in the changing rooms...

My lard will help me float... it has its benefits.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Constantine" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
can u go swimming

....can you go swimming?

YES you can

(women's only session though..and u have to be carefu about what u wear-please don't ask me to go into details about the clothes)

Remember Aasiyah, there'll be many questions at the end.

Be prepared for them too.

But you could prob answer them the way you would answer to a non-Muslim friend who asks about Islam.

"Enver" wrote:

thats what I just said :roll:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

YES you can

(women's only session though..and u have to be carefu about what u wear-please don't ask me to go into details about the clothes)

lol well I thought it was a rather strange point for you to make.

I love swimming.

and of course I won't ask - i'm not judda

"Enver" wrote:
Aasiyah, what is your pres about exactly?

Is it about how public sector workers should treat Muslim women?

yeh i guess... to b honest, all i know about it at the moment is wot i've posted up there^^.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Enver" wrote:

yeh i guess... to b honest, all i know about it at the moment is wot i've posted up there^^.

If that is the case then it isn't necessarily all to do with [i]Islam[/i] and women.

You'll have to talk about cultural sensibilities, and differences among different cultural groups.

You'll need to talk about eg how Muslim women don't like being touched, (believe me it's something some people don't realise).

[size=7]Still thinking... [/size]

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
She just came back frm Uni a while ago-she's gonna eat and do the dishes(cos I aint doing them :twisted: )

she also did a presentation

.she told me she'll PM u before ten in the morning

that aint too late is it?

should be ok inshaAllah.

do u know wots funny - ur sis seems to b generally of a quiet nature, whereas i'm usually really loud, yet she seems to b an amazing public-speaker (she's done loadsa talks b4 right).
with ppl i know i'd hav loads to say on any one topic, yet wen it comes to public speaking, i practically get 'stage-fright'. unfortunately no one else was available to do this thing so i've been pushed into it by a friend. it'll definitely b an experience, i'm just hoping it's a good one!

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Enver" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Enver" wrote:

If that is the case then it isn't necessarily all to do with [i]Islam[/i] and women.

You'll have to talk about cultural sensibilities, and differences among different cultural groups.

You'll need to talk about eg how Muslim women don't like being touched, (believe me it's something some people don't realise).

[size=7]Still thinking... [/size]

aww mannn, seriously? wel i'm stil waiting for the main guy to email me the powerpoint presentation and hopefully its just a matter of covering all the points in there...

"Enver" wrote:

But you could prob answer them the way you would answer to a non-Muslim friend who asks about Islam.

yeh thats not the part i'm worried about, i'm already involved in a da'wah initiative in my city so i'm used to that sorta thing alhumdulillah.

its just the presentation itself...

"Enver" wrote:

right, so i recieved the presentation a lil' while ago and thankfully i dont hav 2 chat about tht^ stuff enver - it is just a general 'women in Islam' presentation.

wish me luck everyone! :?

"Constantine" wrote:
Goodluck!

thanx...

i'm just considering whether or not to wear my niqab for the presentation... Lol on the one hand ppl like urself may see it as 'spooky' Blum 3 but on the other hand it often invites even more questions as it gets ppl curious, thats gotta b a good thing rite. hmm...

doesnt someone love thier voice eh Hedwig? :roll:

says me, watch the surprise on every1s face wen they see my name all over the forums, where it belongs Blum 3

Good luck with your presentation Hedwig, you will fly thru it Inshallah

its always nerve wracking, but jus be confident....once u get rolling, i swear you will be asking for more time

a few years ago, i was afraid to speak in class, or in a group of more than 5 people

now i try takin over seminars and lectures, not afraid to stand up, do stupid things, talk to the PM, the press, radio shows, organise events, run a footy team..........shows wat a lil confidence and self belief can do to ya

next you'll be famous for doin stuff like this Dirol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:

says me, watch the surprise on every1s face wen they see my name all over the forums, where it belongs Blum 3

I was aghast!

[4:34][i] The men are made responsible for the women, and GOD has endowed them with certain qualities, and made them the bread earners. The righteous women will cheerfully accept this arrangement, since it is GOD's commandment, and honor their husbands during their absence. If you experience rebellion from the women, you shall first talk to them, then deserting them in bed, then you may beat them. If they obey you, you are not permitted to transgress against them. GOD is Most High, Supreme.[/i]
God disencourage wife-beating by using the best psychological approach. For example, if I don't want you to shop at Market X, I will ask you to shop at Market Y, then at Market Z, then, as a last resort, at Market X. This will effectively stop you from shopping at Market X, without insulting you. Similarly, God provides alternatives to wife-beating; reasoning with her first, then employing certain negative incentives. Remember that the theme of this sura is defending the women's rights and countering the prevalent oppression of women. Any interpretation of the verses of sura 4 must be in favor of the women. This sura's theme is "protection of women." This expression simply means that God is appointing the husband as "captain of the ship." Marriage is like a ship, and the captain runs it after due consultation with his officers. A believing wife readily accepts God's appointment, without mutiny.
Men are physically superior to women, and exactly where are the limits to how much you can beat them?

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

actually its from my brothers disc

No doubt he got from the Submitters.

submission.org added to god verse in the koran

Quote:
[4:34] The men are made responsible for the women, and GOD has endowed them with certain qualities, and made them the bread earners. The righteous women will cheerfully accept this arrangement, since it is GOD's commandment, and honor their husbands during their absence. If you experience rebellion from the women, you shall first talk to them, then [b](you may use negative incentives like)[/b] deserting them in bed, then you may [b](as a last alternative)[/b] beat them. If they obey you, you are not permitted to transgress against them. GOD is Most High, Supreme.

i prefer plain text

"Enver" wrote:
No doubt he got from the Submitters.

well he only wrote that :roll:

but yea the dics here...

"Enver" wrote:
[b]SOURCE: submission.org [/b]

actually the source is my BOTHERS DISC but its available on ALL submitter sites coz like i sed b4 he is one of dem

as for me i am seriously considering rejecting the religion all together.... ofcourse i cant tell any1... i mean i dont want a death wish...

wife beating is in the koran and at the end of the day it aint banned. y cant women lead the prayers?

"Judda" wrote:
wife beating is in the koran and at the end of the day it aint banned. y cant women lead the prayers?

This is another prevalent trait in your posts.

You seem to link two things together which would not otherwise seem to be linked.

Here you are trying to link wife-beating with female prayer-leaders as if the two were linked.

No doubt you will take out of context an aspect of one argument and apply it to another in order to make a bewildering assertion.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
She just came back frm Uni a while ago-she's gonna eat and do the dishes(cos I aint doing them :twisted: )

she also did a presentation

.she told me she'll PM u before ten in the morning

that aint too late is it?

should be ok inshaAllah.

do u know wots funny - ur sis seems to b generally of a quiet nature, whereas i'm usually really loud, yet she seems to b an amazing public-speaker (she's done loadsa talks b4 right).
with ppl i know i'd hav loads to say on any one topic, yet wen it comes to public speaking, i practically get 'stage-fright'. unfortunately no one else was available to do this thing so i've been pushed into it by a friend. it'll definitely b an experience, i'm just hoping it's a good one!

I know you’ll be great. You’re very confident mashallah.

Being relaxed plays a huge part. Personally I find public speaking hell, cos I’m a bit too quiet and shy by nature…I hate all eyes on me, I never know where to look...and I find it impossible to say "No" to people….and despite the fact that I do public speaking fairly regularly now, for some reason it doesn’t get easier. :?

Questions are always the hardest part of any presentation/lecture…it catches you off guard.

I was asked by a group of non Muslim “Why women can’t lead prayer”…and how it was “sexist and unfair”….they really felt strongly about this….I was trying so hard to choose my words carefully, and really wanted to answer the question properly …I didn’t want to be too explicit or say something that was inappropriate…. And many of the non Muslims weren’t familiar with the motions of prayer. In the end after going round in circles…I asked a Muslim guy from the audience to come and demonstrate the movements in prayer and asked the audience…”Now, could any girl be comfortable doing THAT in front of hundreds of men?”…FINALLY they got it.

So be prepared for all sorts of questions.

I’ve sent you a PM…please let me know how it went.
x

"Enver" wrote:
"Judda" wrote:

This is another prevalent trait in your posts.

You seem to link two things together which would not otherwise seem to be linked.

Here you are trying to link wife-beating with female prayer-leaders as if the two were linked.

No doubt you will take out of context an aspect of one argument and apply it to another in order to make a bewildering assertion.

the thread is called [b]WOMEN AND ISLAM[/b] :roll:

I was reffering specifically to your post.

huh? i do that a lot y?

"Judda" wrote:
In too many Muslim countries, women remain second-class citizens, with many of their basic rights denied in the name of religion and tradition. The right to vote, drive, work, walk in the street without a man or receive a meaningful education are denied or curtailed to different degrees. Women in parts of the Muslim world live with customs that governed the world many centuries ago.

i copied and pasted this coz i couln't be arsed to write it :roll:

You have taken that quote from a non-Muslim source. It blames Islam for the state of Muslim women without actually mentioning Islam by name. For you to accept that it [i]is[/i] Islam that is responsible for this is naive. BTW, the article then goes on to give the customary 'I'm not being racist cos it's not like they all do it' appendage ie 'this is not true of every predominantly Muslim nation. The democratically elected president of Indonesia, for example, is a woman, as is the prime minister of Bangladesh.'

You accept too readily non-Muslim charecterisations of Islam. You refuse to belive that Muslims are capable of doing anything civilised. You have the idea that 'West is best'.

Anything from a Western non-Muslim source you accept readily. Maybe this is because the information is provided in a simplistic and generalised way - this you find easy to comprehend. But slightly more complicated and detailed rebuttals of misconceptions you refuse to accept largely because you lack the capacity to read and understand them.

[size=7]Great! I'm late for Uni now... [/size]

"Judda" wrote:
wife beating is in the koran and at the end of the day it aint banned.

Judda u should go study Islamic studies in detail before u make crass comments like that. in [4:34] the Arabic word used is "wadribuhunna," from the root word "darb." Linguistically, "darb" has many meanings, some of which include to hit or strike lightly. The English translations may be misleading in some cases and that is why it is important to go to the Arabic sources and see how the scholars have interpreted this verse.

there are many Ahadith in which the Prophet (s.a.w) forbids men to beat their wives. and it is further explained by the sahaba that this 'light hitting' is such done by a miswak, something that would b an admonition without causing pain or harm.

Pages