Juma Mubarak!

691 posts / 0 new
Last post

[color=green][b]Juma Mubarak! :D[/b][/color]

"Ya'qub" wrote:
1. Jews see themselves as the 'chosen people of God' (the same way as the majority of religious people view themselves, including Muslims in a similar way).

BUT......

2. To be a Jew, your mother has to be a Jew. (Is this correct?)

3. 'The Jewish People' refers to a racial group, not people who share a belief system (i know some Jewish atheists for example).

4. Does this mean that all non-Jews are going to Hell?

5. I know we believe all non-Muslims are going to hell too, but 'Muslim' means 'someone who submits them self willingly to God', while 'Jew' means someone of a particular racial group.

6. If this is all correct (and i'm not sure it is), then could it be argued that 'Judaism' in itself is a [b]racist[/b] belief system?

Is there any way for someone who is not ethnically Jewish to have salvation?

How about people who have never heard of Judea, Moses etc etc. (eg the Aztec civilisation. Muslims would believe that God sent them prophets, messengers and signs that He is One, and so they each had as much opportunity as anyone else EVER born to become a Muslim.)

No problem Ya'qub. Although these questions are along a single theme, ie the suggestion that Jews are unique, I have numbered them for ease of reference. The last two paragraphs are also covered in these answers. I don't have sources handy but when I get back you can always ask.

1. Jews were chosen to receive the commandments. This demands a higher level of observance and assists us in fulfilling God's pledge to make the earth/man in his image (the word "adam" means both earth and man, and when he first made the statement "let us make man in our image" before breathing life into earth/man/Adam, we hold that he was talking to all of us, you included).

2. Someone whose mother is Jewish is considered Jewish. Some hold that apostacy is possible, still allowing for sincere Teshuva (repentance/returning). For most schools of thought there is no such thing as apostacy (in the sense of becoming non-Jewish anyway). Jews do not evangelise because we do not burden non-Jews with the commandments given to the Children of Israel. However, someone who earnestly wishes to become Jewish is very welcome and that is highly respected.

3. Many Jews are aligned with Maimonedes' principles of faith, however, that is not the definition of a Jew. A Jew is born Jewish or else a convert.

4/5. Non-Jews are not bound for hell. Nor is the Jewish tribe all going to heaven. We have a lot of commandments to keep (under 613 headings). It is easier for a non-Jew to get to heaven, having made fewer commitments. There are seven basic laws the sages consider universal, based on the laws given to Noah. These are laws against 1. idolatry, 2. murder, 3. theft, 4. sexual promiscuity, 5. blasphemy and dishonesty, 6. cruelty to animals (eating living flesh); and an obligation to 7. have systems of justice.

6. I don't find it racist to abide by traditions according to one's tribe. These traditions have universal implications of which we are bound to be aware. Maimonedes is probably the greatest example to us of willingness to engage with Muslims in good times and bad.

My personal view is somewhat broad, considering your point that all religions have a take on their own supremacy, and I am not concerned with a literal adherence to the word, but rather to be inspired, to understand the spiritual in the manifest and to perform good deeds. I don't think it matters what drives people to give of their best. "Tribal" affiliation, worldly activity and universal values are not mutually exclusive.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

ok, so a Muslim would go to heaven as long as he/she adhered to the 7 'Noah (as) laws' (all of which are Islamic duties I'm sure you havn't failed to notice).

I didn't know any of that at all. Thank you for explaining.

What about Moses' (as) 10 commandments? Are they more important/in line with the 613 commandments that u mentioned?

For example, if you work on a Saturday or something similar, would that be a sin equal to breaking one of the 10 commandents?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub, keeping Shabbat actually is one of the 10 commandments!

The laws don't all have the same priority, and the 10 are important, but as for how to form a hierarchy of laws I would have to look up a full response on my return. B'shalom!

Ya'qub, the answer I received from a friend, who is also a Rabbi, is that all the commandments are equally important, but the 10 are considered to be the root of all others.

jummah mubarak! Biggrin

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

Wa iyyaaki ukhti Smile

[b][color=green]Juma Mubarak![/color][/b]

"Joie de Vivre" wrote:
Ya'qub, the answer I received from a friend, who is also a Rabbi, is that all the commandments are equally important, but the 10 are considered to be the root of all others.

thanks 100man!

on a related note: if one were to commit a sin, what should they then do? do they merely ask God for forgiveness sincerley and in humilty (like in Islam), or is there some ritual to perform (like in Christianity)?

Ya'qub,

There are two categories of aveira (sin): Man against man, and man against God. Repentance encompasses both, but one cannot repair aveirot against man solely through an appeal to God.

T'shuva (repentance/returning) is always available. There are portions of the daily prayers dedicated to it, including optional parts, and in any event sincere t'shuva does not depend on these particular prayers. Rambam (Maimonides) describes successful t'shuva as comprising 1. regret 2. repentance 3. reform. First one must properly feel regret for one's sins, then one must express that regret, and finally one must refrain from the sin in future. If the sin is repeated the repentance is voided.

One month from now is Rosh Hashana, the New Year, and ten days after that is Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, on which we fast for 25 hours - even most non-observant Jews do this - and spend all day in prayer. The prayer takes the form both of personal reflection and liturgical acknowledgement of every sin under the sun. This current month of Ellul, from last Wednesday, is the beginning of that process, when we reflect on our sins and make our apologies. If we do not make amends with our fellow man (up to three sincere attempts are mandatory), our prayers to God are not accepted. Someone who is unforgiving is also responsible for that choice. At the beginning of the Yom Kippur service the Rabbi frequently reminds everyone of this last opportunity to apologise, to forgive and to be forgiven. We hope then to begin the New Year with a clean sheet and henceforth to be meritorious in our actions. It is often emotional.

Juma Mubarak and Shabbat Shalom

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

[img]

Quote:

[size=18]It's dove at first sight[/size]

It's a tale straight out of Disney – an abandoned baby monkey, close to death, is revived by the love of a bird.

The 12-week-old macaque was rescued on Neilingding Island, in Goangdong Province, China, after being abandoned by his mother.

Taken to an animal hospital, he was weaned back to physical health but still showed little appetite for life.

It was not until a fellow patient, a white pigeon, took him under her wing and showed him love and affection that he perked up.

Now the two are inseparable, say staff.

They are not the first odd couple. In March, we told how a tiger cub in China was being raised by a sow along with her piglets because his mother didn't know how to feed him.

And in 2005 Mi-Lu the baby deer became best friends with lurcher Geoffrey at the Knowsley Animal Park, in Merseyside, after being rejected by her mother.

Jumu'ah Mubarak (5 mins to go!)

Jummah Mubarak!

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

wa iyyaki

[b][color=indigo]Juma Mubarak Biggrin [/b][/color]

Juma Mubarak

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition, burns a picture to obtain the ashes!

Pages