Bling Bling It’s a Paki Ting

181 posts / 0 new
Last post

This aint connected to gold but I wud say connected to bling bling and it is a paki ting.

In our house we have some sheets of silver, REAL silver that my nani brought from pakistan when she came to visit. Must be about . . . 16 years . . actually is 16 years ago that she brought the silver foil and it aint all been finished.

On eid, and only on eid does my mom put it on the sweetdish that we made. Turns out it is foil made from real silver, yes the silver that you wear, and mom goes they put it on food as a status symbol that look we so wealthy we eat silver.

Any1 else seen this. My mom is the only person who puts the foil on, she goes its so expensive and really delicate and that us boys will just tear it or drop it and so she's the only one who opens the packet, remves one layer of it, and puts it on the sweetdish.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

dont have a clue...like kitchen foil???

i think most of the stuff the put on is fake.

The one we got in our house is real silver. Moms got it with the jewellery, actually shudnt give so much info cos dont want my moms daughter in law to knw where we got all the expensive stuff stashed away .

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

is that real silver foil that they have on paki-barfee eh? :?

Thats alright. We will get there and store it safely before she finds out...

Just mention exactly where the money is.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Thats alright. We will get there and store it safely before she finds out...

Just mention exactly where the money is.

lol. May ALLAH make you smile in highest paradise.

I aint a fool to tell you that info bruv, cant trust ne1 these days. Not even respectable people like urself, and I use respectable in the LOOSEST terms possible.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Beast" wrote:
In the US 'Indian' refers to anything from the Subcontinent...

lol nope, it could refer to the 'Red Indians' too... Smile

lol that did run through my mind the first time he said that.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:
I think the [url= is really pretty.

Its an old fashioned thing though.

And Dave, many UK Asians are heavily influenced by RnB and Rap...more then "Bollywood". But the term "Bling bling" isnt that commonly used here...I just used it cos it rhymed with "Paki ting".

jhumars, like the one u posted, look pretty on their own, but IMO they look wierd when on one's head... :? Wink

tikas are great tho.

Okay that's the second time somebody's made a remark about where these things are worn...

Is there something outside the description I haven't picked up here?

"Med" wrote:
speaking of gold. My grandmother has loads. She was dividing it up a lil while back, deciding whats gonna go go to who after she dies.

My future wife is gonna be VERY lucky indeed, being my dadi's favourite she was showing me this big chunky chains and bangles and bracelets and saying these are for Med's dulhan. I just hope that whoever I marry aint just marrying me so she and her mom can get their grubby hands on my dadis gold.

lol

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:
I think the [url= is really pretty.

Its an old fashioned thing though.

And Dave, many UK Asians are heavily influenced by RnB and Rap...more then "Bollywood". But the term "Bling bling" isnt that commonly used here...I just used it cos it rhymed with "Paki ting".

jhumars, like the one u posted, look pretty on their own, but IMO they look wierd when on one's head... :? Wink

tikas are great tho.

but on ur head is where u wear these things :? where else do u wear them

I 've only seen few brides wear them with their tikka's and i've thought it looked pretty-very traditional

the jhumar looks good if the tikka aint too OTT

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
We do have a fascination with malcolm X.

Its an intriguing story.

How an african-American accepted Islam. How he first went through the NOI phase. When he went to hajj realised that NOI version did not fit in, and became a Muslim. And that he had alot of power behind him.

Ah-hah.

lol that tells me you really did watch only part of the story then.

He joined NOI - eventually converted to actual islam after the Hajj - started preaching actual Islam.

And then got shot for it.

So really he's a bit of a martyr.

It is funny about the Malcolm X story, is that most muslims will quote most of his saying from the time at NOI rather then what he did and said after his Hajj. He was a very deep person and there alot too learn about him and his views.

On Gold, it is overdone in most wedding, but the sad thing is that loads of people put themselves into debt doing it. That was one of the reason that law in pakistan was introduced in pakistan about what you ar exactly allow too do at weddings. I personally agree with it, i see too many people have expensive weddings, on ly too see them struggle afterwards.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Beast" wrote:

Don't you mean 'Native Americans'?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

lol lilsis, i meant if ur not wearing it and just admiring it as a peice of jewellery, its fine, but as soon as it goes on one's head, it just looks 'out of place'... Smile

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Okay that's the second time somebody's made a remark about where these things are worn...

right, here's the only pic i cud find via google, maybe proof that jhumar isnt all that popular? Wink the thing that goes down the centre onto the forehead is the tika, and the thing on the side of the head is the jhumar.

oh, and naj, it seems those 'things' we were chatting about are called 'finger bracelets' by some people... Wink the only one i have is a bit flashy coz i had to wear it to a wedding, its very similar to this one:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Beast" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Beast" wrote:

Don't you mean 'Native Americans'?

nope, thats more of a 'formal' way of putting it thats emerged lately, they're more commonly known as 'American Indians' or in England, 'Red Indians' (the latter isnt used much in America as people would see it as offensive).

basically they're all synonyms, but in America itself, 'Indian' can also refer to the American 'Indians' (thanx to Christopher Columbus getting his geography all wrong...;))

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

lol lilsis, i meant if ur not wearing it and just admiring it as a peice of jewellery, its fine, but as soon as it goes on one's head, it just looks 'out of place'... Smile

"Don Karnage" wrote:

right, here's the only pic i cud find via google, maybe proof that jhumar isnt all that popular? Wink the thing that goes down the centre onto the forehead is the tika, and the thing on the side of the head is the jhumar.

oh, and naj, it seems those 'things' we were chatting about are called 'finger bracelets' by some people... Wink the only one i have is a bit flashy coz i had to wear it to a wedding, its very similar to this one:

Aasiyah come on-that an OK picture of the JHUMAR-but most of them look good

reason why it aint that common is cos most brides dont wear it-its an old fashioned thing

I'll be def wearing one-obvioulsy most of its is covered by the bridal dupatta-u can only see a tiny bit poking out

some brides wear tiara's too-that IMO dont look good

I like the hand thing too

"naj" wrote:

kitchen tin foil gets the same job done

God knows why some people would want to make out that they're so rich they eat silver :?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

lol, no it doesnt actually, coz u cant eat it... Wink

and Med, i'm pretty sure everyone puts the same silver foil on their kaju barfi, i wasnt aware there's a 'fake' version.

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

and Med, i'm pretty sure everyone puts the same silver foil on their kaju barfi, i wasnt aware there's a 'fake' version.

I always eat it-it takes too long to pick it off :?

mum always adds it too the sweet milk dishes she makes

but I thought it was just cos it looks pretty-I never thought it was cos to show people "we so rich we eat silver"

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Aasiyah come on-that an OK picture of the JHUMAR-but most of them look good

reason why it aint that common is cos most brides dont wear it-its an old fashioned thing

I'll be def wearing one-obvioulsy most of its is covered by the bridal dupatta-u can only see a tiny bit poking out

some brides wear tiara's too-that IMO dont look good

I like the hand thing too

yeh i know, thats the only pic i cud find of someone wearing the jhumar.

my cousin wore one on her wedding, but she got married in Pakistan.

personally i wouldnt wear it, but i'm sure it'll suit u if u decide to wear it on your wedding day... Smile

tiaras would look silly on an Indian bride, tho arab brides look cool with em, coz they wear white dresses.

"Aasiyah" wrote:

personally i wouldnt wear it, but i'm sure it'll suit u if u decide to wear it on your wedding day... Smile

I was inspired by the jewellery in Devdas

and saw someone recently wear one on her wedding day and it matched her suit-it was similar to the one sis posted

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

oh wait, i think i might've confuddled you... the silver 'foil' on barfi is [b]meant[/b] to be eaten, my point was that kitchen foil doesnt get the same job done because u [b]cant[/b] eat it.

and yeh, this is the first time i'm hearing people use it to show how rich they are, i thought its a fairly common thing... :?

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

oh wait, i think i might've confuddled you... the silver 'foil' on barfi is [b]meant[/b] to be eaten, my point was that kitchen foil doesnt get the same job done because u [b]cant[/b] eat it.

LOL

I still lost u

we shouldnt eat kictchen foil-I know that

BUT we do eat the ones on Barfi

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

and saw someone recently wear one on her wedding day and it matched her suit-it was similar to the one sis posted

lol, ohhh, in that case i shud definitely hate it... [size=7]u know my view of bollywood movies...[/size] Wink

yeh the one ur sis posted is definitely pretty, mainly because its more delicate than chunky yellow gold... Smile

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

lol, ohhh, in that case i shud definitely hate it... [size=7]u know my view of bollywood movies...[/size] Wink

yeh the one ur sis posted is definitely pretty, mainly because its more delicate than chunky yellow gold... Smile

the film was crap-

but u gotta rate the eloborate jewellery-did u know that it was after that film that them bangles came out

[url= ones [/url]

they are SO beautiful-they called jhumars too apparentely

but I'm with u on the chunky ugly yellow gold

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

LOL

I still lost u

we shouldnt eat kictchen foil-I know that

BUT we do eat the ones on Barfi

lol, we eat the foil on barfi because its edible - its not the same as kitchen foil.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

God knows why some people would want to make out that they're so rich they eat silver :?

lol... silver tinfoil? - that just sounds outrageously tacky and plebeian.

What's with wealth anyway. I understand why people want it - being able to finance all your desires is obviously an attractive thought. But it seems like what people really want more than anything else is to prove to [i]other people[/i] that they are wealthy. Why else would somebody waste their money on silver tinfoil to "make people think they are wealthy" when they could just as easily have taken their hard earned money and invested it in Exxon before last quarter - then they would REALLY be wealthy.

The pursuit of making other people think you are wealthy seems to be stronger, for some, then the actual pursuit of wealth!

The best way to demonstrate you are wealthy is to do charity work - set up a foundation or something. The only problem with that is 1. You usually have to be genuinely wealthy, and 2. You are probably a charitable person to begin with that isn't as vain (though that certainly isn't true of all).

"Aasiyah" wrote:
i think he means this stuff, u mustv seen it before:

[img]

we eat this, its common on barfi, wasnt aware of the real silver factor, just edible foil rite? learn something new everyday.

the jhumar- is very pretty, both my cousins wore it, but personally i dont think i cd wear it, purely becuz you wear so much jewellery on wedding day, it just looks unnecessary to me, regardless of tradition.

malcolm x- what a guy. denzel washington looks scarily like him in movie, unbelievable, bits where they show real malcolm x and him are confusing cuz you cant tell who is who.

never thought of him as a major icon, not aware how many asian boys are aware of him, but his story is amazing, especially as he was so brainwashed with the false idea of islam but found the real islam on his own.

its a sad thing that he was killed for his faith, so can see the martyr aspect. many parallels with martin luther king - both influential black americans standing up for their rights during a similar time, and killed as a result.

"Don Karnage" wrote:

The best way to demonstrate you are wealthy is to do charity work - set up a foundation or something. The only problem with that is 1. You usually have to be genuinely wealthy, and 2. You are probably a charitable person to begin with that isn't as vain (though that certainly isn't true of all).

Good point.

And back to the “Paki ting” another thing that annoys me is the competition when it comes to gold….even when attending a small get together it’s kinda funny how much gold some ladies wear.

Obviously, if they want to wear it then it’s all good…but must they go on and on about it?

There’s two types of conversations that bore me to death…one is when people go on and on about how they made a particular dish and describe in details where/how/when they got their ingredients (I know I should be interested in such talk-so I’ve been told)…. and another is when aunties go on and on about their wealth and possessions…what/when/how/why they brought it.

"fizzy1" wrote:

the jhumar- is very pretty, both my cousins wore it, but personally i dont think i cd wear it, purely becuz you wear so much jewellery on wedding day, it just looks unnecessary to me, regardless of tradition.

I'd wear the delicate Jhumar, the tikka and some bangles on one hand. And maybe a smallish necklace.

None of the above necessarily has to be gold. But they must be delicate and not fat and chunky.

I will (kinda) be a traditional bride.

Pages