General website stuff

129 posts / 0 new
Last post

Users have to be able see max. stuff on the homepage without having to scroll.

Why not have 2 parts to the homepage?

2/3 of the page is articles, and the other 1/3 is News and Events. Both running vertically side-by-side. No side menus.

You can 'list' the categories for the articles and news on the homepage. With as little serious text as possible.

By 'list' I obviously don't mean like a shopping list. Make it snazzy (if that's a word) and eye-catching.

Remember The Revival is for Muslim youth. These youth have to see the homepage and be gripped by it!

you can view my work in progreass on the test page.

Once it is ready, I will change it to the homepage.

Beast can you add your two articles into the People > historical category? I would, but I am busy trying to get the stuff to work.

And we will need to teach Ed how to use the thing. I am trying to simplify the post page, but not having much luck.

(I will keep the sidebars for a bit... and once I have everything working I will move things around then...)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
you can view my work in progreass on the test page.

Once it is ready, I will change it to the homepage.

Beast can you add your two articles into the People > historical category? I would, but I am busy trying to get the stuff to work.

And we will need to teach Ed how to use the thing. I am trying to simplify the post page, but not having much luck.

(I will keep the sidebars for a bit... and once I have everything working I will move things around then...)

i dont like the way the site is going... turning in to a boring, unattractive site, no appeal for youth..

that test page...u cant get rid of all the pages at bottom with their images... that is the most attractive part of the site, the stuff above that on current home page is what needs to be improved

uve introduced new topics..lifestyle??? islamic year??? looks dum!

i dunno....

Ed you have no imagination! wait and then speak. for everyone else, your input in welcome! Blum 3

The stuff at the bottom will be back. But not yet... the old stuff was not updated for about a year! when I put it back on, the new stuff will auto update.... and it will have to look better....

ok what should I call 'calendar'? we have a few aritles that are to do with the islamic year. where should they go? what should the category be renamed?

The news will only be a small part when finished. I know you allergic to news though... so probably still too much for you.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Ed you have no imagination! wait and then speak. for everyone else, your input in welcome!

The stuff at the bottom will be back. But not yet.

ok what should I call 'calendar'? we have a few aritles that are to do with the islamic year. where should they go? what should the category be renamed?

The news will only be a small part when finished. I know you allergic to news though... so probably still too much for you.

ok.
i wont argue with you here.

If your thinking of getting rid of the side menus why dont you create drop down menus from the top nav?

That would give you more room on the main page to add allsorts, articles, events as well as News.

Back in BLACK

Beast I have changed the title to one of the articles you put on.

I called it Sallahuddin Ayubi - A legacy of Unity. (change it to something better if you can think of anything... and you are still free to edit the article to improve it if you wish...)

I have added it to the features category, so that I can test if it works...

(There should be one feature at any one given time... all featured articles will show up [url=.)

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
Sallahuddin Ayubi

'Salahuddin Ayyubi'.

I have corrected the spelling. (and you do have a log in aswell... I may have forgotten to mention normal service has resumed in adding things.)

[EDIT]

I still have alot to do for the homepage... I got stuck at making the ten articles into two columns! I do have a solution, but I would rather await a better one...

I know how to add announcements on.

I also need to add something into faq's on guidelines. Announcements are only for Official Revival business... launch of the mag... press release... disasters etc...

ok Can someone have a quick look please:

[url= page[/url]

A few quick opinions... Its far from done... but it is looking tidy for now.

"Admin" wrote:
ok Can someone have a quick look please:

[url= page[/url]

A few quick opinions... Its far from done... but it is looking tidy for now.

y is 'introducing the Rev newsblog' so close to the section above it, and y is it bright red and not in the same font as 'announcements' and 'top 10...'?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

That bright red is from before...I am changing it for the dirty red...

Oh and I was looking at it in firefox... just looked in i.e, and I have alot of work to do... I thought I had split the ten articles intotwo rows! but it does not work in i.e.

On a related note, have a look at the [url= style[/url]

Its a bit girly (pink...)... but it looks alright!

(and before anyone asks, no I have not had the time to try blue yet...)

Ok I have put a gap where you wanted it, and made the title darker... Not too pleased with it IMO... does not look good.... will have to keep trying!

Anyone know the font that is used or the two banners 'Top Ten' and 'Announcements'?

And does anyone want to attempt to make a few more like them? (I will need 'NewsBlog' at a minimum... and a few more...)

They were made when another person was attempting to improve the revival website. He gave up, but I managed to get a few icons.

I to this day do not understand why I cannot do graphic design. Its like kryptonite to me. I can do most other things.

"Admin" wrote:
On a related note, have a look at the [url= style[/url]

Its a bit girly (pink...)... but it looks alright!

ewwww. plz dont do this to us admin. Blum 3 it looks like someone came and plastered their bubblegum all over our Revival. Sad Wink

(nah, i'm not much of a 'pink' person).

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

ok any opinions on the test page?

I think I will have it as homepage, and make changes later...

Anyone recognise the font used in:

[img]

And

[img]

???

I need to find it so that I can make a few more banner graphics...

shall I make the test page the homepage?

I know it is not ready... but IMO it is far better than the current homepage...

"Admin" wrote:
shall I make the test page the homepage?

I know it is not ready... but IMO it is far better than the current homepage...

Admin NO!

It's not snazzy enough!

[size=7]And the text in the side menu is too small. It' not asking to be clicked.[/size]

the man tried shocking barbie pink before blue?

mmmm

Mr Admin there sumin u aint telling us? Wink

"Admin" wrote:
Anyone know the font that is used or the two banners 'Top Ten' and 'Announcements'?

And does anyone want to attempt to make a few more like them? (I will need 'NewsBlog' at a minimum... and a few more...)

They were made when another person was attempting to improve the revival website. He gave up, but I managed to get a few icons.

I to this day do not understand why I cannot do graphic design. Its like kryptonite to me. I can do most other things.

Salaam Admin,

(Sorry, I have to make this quick - I've just got home...Anyway, I saw your message at work and I did the following:)

From what I can see your font looks like a type of cyber/robot script...

With this in mind I've created the following designs:
[img]
Hmm...
The pictures are playing 'hide and seek'... :?
If you can't see the image then you should, instead, be able to see it via this link [size=9](I've placed the image onto a public web-template from 'atspace'):[/size]
[url]

Different layouts and colours have been produced (just for you Wink ), simply use the ones you like Smile
Or let me know if you want a different colour applied to a particular layout. It'd be a pleasure to help.

May peace be blessed upon you.

Docendo Discimus

Beast: which text?

MuslimSis: I was playing around with the red that is in the logo... and that pink was the only colour that was not garish.

Everyone else: No that will not be the main theme for the site. However it MAY possibly be a secondary, selectable theme.

Paladin, thaks for your research. That bottom one italicised looks close. One thing though, the background text should be hidden behinf the foreground text (otherwise it gets a little muddled.) I will mess around with it. Thanks again.

(The font you have used is pretty close...)

"Admin" wrote:
Beast: which text?

The side menu.

That is the same size as before! (and for homepage it may be removed...)

Call that the side menu from now. I was wondering 'what side text?'

Blum 3

I'll experimenting having it a percentage larger... (you also have a 15" monitor do you not? If I make it much larger, I will need to widen the menu as a whole...)

You may need to change colour as it does look better on the pink menu...

I have changed the pink template to show exactly the same page, but in pink...

"Admin" wrote:
That is the same size as before! (and for homepage it may be removed...)

Call that the side menu from now. I was wondering 'what side text?'

Blum 3

It looks bigger in the pink template.

Besides, I said text in the [i]side menu[/i].

But no matter. I forgive you.

yes it does look bigger in the pink one... I will have to mess around with colours to get it to stand out in the main template...

The thing is I am fiddling about with positioning, and have not fully tried the page in allbrowsers, so I thought your browser may have been showing the bit in the box I made on the side... (it was at one point...)

I have changed the background colour.

What do you lot think now?

[url=

(be quick as I changed it in the stylesheet... which means the colour has been changed for full site... and the colour is slightly 'cold'...)

[EDIT]

I have changed it again,,, for something that is less cold... but now cannot notice a change...

[edit 2]

I have now changed it back to original... I will probably have to change all the colours toget this right... making the dark bits darker...

Pages