General website stuff

Salaam

I have holidays from work now til the new year, and will do alot of work cleaning up the website.

Most of it is mundane stuff, and no-one should really notice (updating template on almost 600 pages... making sure formatting is right... removing old colour scheme on older pages... applyind CSS to pages not using it... gettig rid of garrish colours on some pages...).

I am also gonna move around a whole lot of pages... hopefully nothing will break.

If there ios anything that you think need looking at, just post here.

I have a 'fix' for those with larger monitors for whom the site is just on the left side atm, leaving too much blank space on the right... but the fix involves having it in the middle... Not sure if that is a good idea... those with the larger monitors care to comment?

Any other thing that need sorting?

How about some new articles? The same stuff has been there for as long as I can remember.

After the clean-up.

We used to add articles very regularly, but for the past few months, I have been going mainly housekeeping work.

Inshallah by the new year everything will be in order, and we will have better infrastructure to continue apace...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Well I have got most of the backend stuff ready to update site.

It may be down for a few mins some time in the night when noone is around.

You should not notice any major difference.

But some pages may be borked, so report them to me if you find any.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Well I have got most of the backend stuff ready to update site.

It may be down for a few mins some time in the night when noone is around.

You should not notice any major difference.

But some pages may be borked, so report them to me if you find any.

[color=darkblue][b]I hpe its around 4 in da mornin..[/b][/color]

"Duniya toh badalti rehti hai...Ey mere Quaid tuh kabhi Na badal janaa"

probably is gonna be, as I have decided to experiment with a few things before finally pushing it online...

It is a huge weight off my shoulders though. This week I have put alot of time and effort into it.

(I even pulled a complete allnighter, and another 80% allnighter... and you know how bad computer screens are when you lack sleep...)

On a positive note I have decided to treat myself with a new monitor.

My current one is a 15" CRT one (the reason the site looks better on smaller monitors... I have a potential fix for the larger ones which I may try to push...)

Gonna see if I can find myself a decent 19" widescreen TFT monitor at a decent price.

The forums may be down for a min...

do not worry he website update will be later on in the night... This should be pretty routine.

"Admin" wrote:

do not worry he website update will be later on in the night... This should be pretty routine.

Done.

"Admin" wrote:

yep they just were, i gues the minit is over. Smile

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Well I have done the main changes.

However they will take upto 3 hours to activate.

And I will probably will be in bed at that point.

So blame 'Ed or someone else if something goes wrong.

:twisted:

All being well, everything should be fine, and you lot should NOT NOTICE ANY CHANGES WHATSOEVER.

However if there are any broken pages etc, let me know.

Is it too late to suggest that the whole website design, layout, colour could be overhauled?

:oops:

"Beast" wrote:
Is it too late to suggest that the whole website design, layout, colour could be overhauled?

:oops:

No it is not.

I was clever, and used a stylesheet for most things. All colours on the stylesheet.

what colours would you like, and where?

I have not worked on thsi yet.

I will get back on this as soon as I have added the blog in a suitable fashion to the homepage...

Any of you have large monitors?

I wanna make a few quick changes to the site...

But my monitor is a 15" CRT, and the changes are there to benefit people with larger monitors...

so Anyone of you have larger monitors?

chop chop...

All I would want is a screenshot of now and then...

I have got the changes ready (which should not really be noticeable). I just need to upload them to see if they work, and wether it is better or worse.

How about you make noticeable changes?

Did you look at the link I posted above?

Noticeable changes will come...

I am working on something there aswell... but there is a limit to what I can do at once...

So what size is your monitor?

actually I will just push the changes, and see if they work...

no they have not worked...

back to square one...

my eyes are now hurting.

I had my monitor at 1600x1200 resolution to see if the stuff worked...

Ok... now on larger monitors, the non-forum website pages now in the middle instead of being to the left.

I have one other change to make aswell... which I may not make...

and once I finish working on the newsblog, I will work on:

1. a print layout. This will basically remove most things apart from the main content.
2. A new layout that uses the colours of the magazine logo. To test this, I will add a dynamic colour changer (TM) to the site so people can see which combinations work, and which do not.

I have now added rounded corners to the top menu on the main site.

how does it look? should I keep them, or remove them?

ok... for a new website colour scheme that matches the Logo....

I will name the new so far non existant theme 'Magazine Red'

Item Revival Green Magazine Red

Background White White
top Menu/Menu title Background Light green (#DDEDCB) Dark Red (#A21A21)
Menu items text colour Dark Green (#006600) Orange (#C27628)
side menu background colour greyish/greenish (#F1F5EB) Light Red (#D82433)
hover colour grey (#dddddd)
Heading 1 Red Red
Heading 2 Black Black
Heading 3 Blue Blue

Others are nt important... can be worked out later...

It is slightly garish.

Still playing around with the colours... I have already slightly altered the colours from the logo though... the orange was not being noticed enough.

and the light red in not in the logo...

[deleted - stuff has been updated]

(and this theme will be an alternate theme. Not default. Unless something drastic comes of it.)

"Admin" wrote:

It is slightly garish.

Still playing around with the colours... I have already slightly altered the colours from the logo though... the orange was not being noticed enough.

colours used:

Red: #A21A21
Light Red: #C93232
Orange: #FFB872

I have not added corners etc... as a lot of work will be needed before hand.

(and this theme will be an alternate theme. Not default. Unless something drastic comes of it.)

wow. hey thats not so bad yaknow. probably seems garish coz its so different to the current theme, but it definitely livens the site up...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

It is slightly garish.

colours used:

Red: #A21A21
Light Red: #C93232
Orange: #FFB872

I have not added corners etc... as a lot of work will be needed before hand.

wow. hey thats not so bad yaknow. probably seems garish coz its so different to the current theme, but it definitely livens the site up...

Are you kiddin me? :?

It hurtz my eyes to look at it. Sad

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
Are you kiddin me? :?

It hurtz my eyes to look at it. Sad

lol. i know its a bit of a shocker in comparison to our current (dull, british :P) theme.
and i guess it'd look better for ppl with bigger screens as everythings more spread out... :?:

No....I think lighter pastel colours would look better.

Thats TOO red and red happens to be my fav colour too. :?

Pages