General website stuff

129 posts / 0 new
Last post

You don't have to use just the logo colours.

Here's a tip: red and black put people off, whereas blue and white draw people in.

The current light green and white combo is too plain and simple. It's just asking to be ignored.

The red provides the much-needed definition but isn't very welcoming.

I myself also prefer pastel colours for websites.

With that read theme... I still need to fix some colour clash. (blue on red will NEVER EVER work.. and that light red is too bright...., and the orange does not look good on it...)

I will need to create a page where people can put in their own colours.....

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

It is slightly garish.

Still playing around with the colours... I have already slightly altered the colours from the logo though... the orange was not being noticed enough.

and the light red in not in the logo...

colours used:

Red: #A21A21
Light Red: #C93232
Orange: #FFB872

I have not added corners etc... as a lot of work will be needed before hand.

(and this theme will be an alternate theme. Not default. Unless something drastic comes of it.)

Good God Admin this is a gaudy monstrousity!

This is all wrong - it looks like the inside of some kinda mediterranian villa or something.

Go back to the old style before I go into epileptic shock

The old style is still there. It will be for a long long time. The main style will always be easy on the eyes. Just Beast wanted something more exotic, and I decided to see what it would be like.

If I also make a blue theme, what would I call it? (Revival green for gren, Magazine Red for red...)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
The old style is still there. It will be for a long long time. The main style will always be easy on the eyes. Just Beast wanted something more exotic, and I decided to see what it would be like.

If I also make a blue theme, what would I call it? (Revival green for gren, Magazine Red for red...)

Blue is nice - i like blue.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Good God Admin this is a gaudy monstrousity!

This is all wrong - it looks like the inside of some kinda mediterranian villa or something.

Go back to the old style before I go into epileptic shock

Lol the first line makes u sound more English than the Queen... Lol [size=7](besides the fact u misspelled 'monstrosity':P)[/size]

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
Lol the first line makes u sound more English than the Queen... Lol [size=7](besides the fact u misspelled 'monstrosity':P)[/size]

lol and how is the dear old "anglische konigchen" these days?

[size=7]American spelling dear, american spelling.[/size]

"Don Karnage" wrote:

[size=7]nope, the american spelling is 'monstruosity' and u spelt it 'monstrousity'... Blum 3 [/size]

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

[size=7]nope, the american spelling is 'monstruosity' and u spelt it 'monstrousity'... Blum 3 [/size]

[size=7]damn it she's right[/size]

I have changed a few of the colours...

Its alot better now.

I may use the gold/orange colour for some heading on the revivalGreen style aswell...

Are you sure reds the way you wanna go?

Back in BLACK

no I am not.

But since I am experimenting with it, I may aswell give it a good shot...

... and I like the current unassuming style.

Well aslong as your experimenting i think blues alot better colour.

[size=6]hint hint... u knw wat[/size]

Back in BLACK

Is there anything that is really needed on the main site?

[EDIT]

I have made a few changes to the forums. The top menu bar should fit in better now.

What do you lot think?

(and should the width of the page be limited as it is with the main site, or should be as it is.... 95% width of the browser window?)

"Admin" wrote:
Is there anything that is really needed on the main site?

[EDIT]

I have made a few changes to the forums. The top menu bar should fit in better now.

What do you lot think?

(and should the width of the page be limited as it is with the main site, or should be as it is.... 95% width of the browser window?)

The main window seems to be fine... just a few nit picking problems really.

1. Ive been asking about this for sometime... the main splash screen it doesnt serve a purpose imo... maybe shud get rid of it.

2. You've changed the main page layout... looks a bit squashed... and if someones got a big monitor 19-21 inch theres gonna be way too much white space on the edges... which is very bad.

3. The top navbar jus beneath the revival logo on main site is there any chance you can make that extend all the way across the screen rather than a static image which is what its currenly at i think.

4. Hows the colour changing thing going?

Back in BLACK

ok i dont knw how to explain this but see when someone posts b4 we could click on person's profile and view it but now u cant click on it u have to go thru member list, it wud help in regards to adding members to the sister's forum rather than goin thru memberlist again and again. Although everyone has been added, just for future?

"Angel" wrote:
ok i dont knw how to explain this but see when someone posts b4 we could click on person's profile and view it but now u cant click on it u have to go thru member list, it wud help in regards to adding members to the sister's forum rather than goin thru memberlist again and again. Although everyone has been added, just for future?

um, yeh we can still go straight to their profile - just click on the 'profile' tab at the bottom of their post...

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Angel" wrote:

um, yeh we can still go straight to their profile - just click on the 'profile' tab at the bottom of their post...

hehe silly me :oops:

EDIT

Salaam

I want out for a while.

However I am not one of those who can lose all responsibility.

So first step is to have the website wellmaintained and maintainable.

I am thinking on moving the website to the newsblog type of thing. Much more maintainable, and I can walk away without any guilt.

I may do ALOT of work these next few days to change everything over, but before I do so, I wanna be sure its the right thing.

I am thinking having the news stuff on a separate menu system (I have today put the news categories as a subcategory of news... so Now I can put article categories as subcategories of Articles...)

As a side thing, many many pages can break (but that IS fixable...)

And I will lose my monopoly on updating the website (I have already delegated some on to the newsblod posters...)

what do you lot think?

I will make the full homepage autoupdateable.

There will be a 'feature' category, which will contain the stuff above the newsblog.

And a further events calendar, so tha diferent types of events can be added to the main site.

Taking a break or something a little more important?

Well - if you give the mods more power, or just hand over the admin job to Sajid and let him figure something out the forums should take care of themselves.

And there are a large number of folks here that know how to do webpages - Khan and Yuit both have their own bustling communities... so more power to the people!

Oh and good luck with whatever it is you are going to do with yourself

In holidays over xmas I was on here every single day for 10+ hours making back end changes that needed to be made.

If the current plan works, people will not really need to know how to make webpages as such. Everything will be autogenerated as in the blog.

I decided this mostly when I started the dejected topic... I am not a person who just cuts and runs. I need to have everything in a way that is fully working.

I will still be here, but I will also have a chance to do other things instead of spending my time before work, and after work, and weekends running this place.

I may still be admin, but with someone doing the work.... the website stuff will not need many changes.

Perfectly understandable - you've got a life.

Find a wife and buy a house in surrey or something - the forum will take care of itself if everything works out

a life.....a life he says Lol

and no, the forum wont

will people stop sayin they are goin

admit it, the forum is more addictive than crack

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I am the dealer. I know how addictive it is.

I have seen too many people try to leave, and come back as soon they need their enxt fix.

I am not looking to leave, but to just scale back a long long long long way.

I have been [putting the articles on since I got back from work! I need to not have to put this graft in.

And maybe I would be able to not come on for a few days, and I would not be missed, as everything would be uptodate.

Ok, it seems I am updating the site faster than I thought I would!

So far I have added:

General (MuslimUnity combined into it)
Islam (Basics of Islam)
Beliefs
Eid
Ramadan
Islamic Year
Hajj
History
Science
Prophet of Islam Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)
God Page
Women

[b]TODO:[/b]

[color=green]Marriage. DONE[/color]
[color=green]Islam In the west. DONE[/color]
[color=green]Quran. DONE[/color]
[color=green]Hadith. DONE???[/color]
[color=green]Misconceptions. DONE[/color]
[color=green]Comparative religion (the articles are really on non-muslim festivals...). DONE[/color]
[color=green]Politics. DONE[/color]
[color=green]Life after 9/11. DONE[/color]
[color=green]Q & A. DONE?????[/color]
[color=green]Editorials, press releases etc. WILL NOT DO NOW. I think static pages are better for this type of stuff.... May change my mind though. DID CHANGE MIND. DONE. EDOTORIALS FROM THE MAGAZINES HAVE BEEN LINKED TO INSTEAD OF HAVING IT FULLY DUPLICATED.[/color]
[color=green]Islam & Terrorism. Done. left the news articles though...[/color]

[b]KEEP AS IS:[/b]

The Magazine pages (anything in /magazine/)
Contact us pages
[color=green]Links page. Need to update the links though. I know of atleast one dead link. And maybe add a marriage bureau's section? [b]DONE[/b].I have Added a Marriage section, with one agency in it...[/color]

[b]DONOT PLAN ON DOING[/b]

1. Move over all the news articles.
2. Move over Iraq/Palestine pages, as are mostly news.
3. Leave most terrorism articles off as most are news opnions...

[b]FINISHING TOUCHES:[/b]

Move the newsblog page, call it content, and make it show latest content.
Add a new page which will only show News items. (a new NewsBlog page...)
Update the Homepage to make it fully dynamic.
Add a events calendar.

I had planned to use all today, 2moro for the majority, and next week to polish, but it may be quicker! (but I have a few things to do today aswell... so I may get slowed back onto schedule)

Just an update.

The Newsblog is now [url=. A second [url= shows the latest latest articles. All links to articles will be content.php?p=1234

Both news and Articles menu's on left side are autogenerated.

I have added the articles, and made the homepage have the CMS theme... (now has login etc buttons at the top...)

I now need to work on the homepage to make it have dynamic content.

I need to add a bit at the top to show feature article/s (I think only have one...)

[b]THE PLAN FOR HOMEPAGE:[/b]

From Top Down:

1. At the Top have a feature article.
2. Next maybe have a couple of quick links related to the first article. (just same category...)
3. A top Ten... latest articles
4. News Blog.
5. links to some category sections
6. Events calendar.

Ok... I have ran into a couple of major problems.

I'll call it a night and try to fix them tomorrow.

[EDIT]

I think I have solved atleast one of them now...

I have doe everything apart from

1. events calendar. its got complicated....
2. The homepage.

My current idea noted above would make the page look busy.

Any ideas of what I should do?

I am thinking get rid of the columns on the left... leaving more space for the centre. then split the news items into two columns instead of two rows...

Just above that have latest aritcles, and above that feature article.

Underneath the newsblog possibly have some sections as we have atm, but have them autoupdated....

Underneath that an announcements section, and under that events calendar?????

Pages