Girls MUST Learn How To Cook

Says my gran each time I go and visit her-and whenever she finds out that I still only know how to make tea and boil rice she gets angry with me Cray 2

Anyways-this topic makes me laugh

I have a cousin around my age who is ALWAYS getting told off by her mum cos she don't know how to cook-apparently no guy will want to marry her :roll:

thats bull-she's pretty, religious and clever

her and her mum have massive kick off regarding cooking

cooking is not rocket science-if u can read and follow directions all u need to do is purchase a good cook book and ur sorted

ALSO boys should be self sufficient-there's too many mummy's boys out there who dont know how to do jack-they should learn

of course-I'm not saying that girls shouldnt cook-all I'm saying is that cooking aint the be all and end all

there's more to life

Anyways, discuss gender stereotypes and the misconception that girl MUST know how to cook otherwise no one will want to marry them

Dirol

LOLZ GIRLS SHOULD LEARN IN THERE OWN TYM, i used 2 say 2 ma mum dt me gna strt cookin wn me turn 16 bt it neva worked nw me sain 2 her wen me turn 18 il learn to cook 4 defo. i do cook english food bt ent got 2 cook asain curries yet js d rotis lolz

i can cook

lots of stuff. i lived away for a year and used to make curry whenever i missed home, so think im self sufficient, but could still learn more complicated stuff.

guy i want to marry cant cook though, he can boil an egg, make toast, thats about it

looks likei will be doing all the cooking

or we will be eating out

a lot

o i no wa dt cousin of urs is goin thru my mum says that to me aswel that no 1 gna marry me, or wn me marid d in laws gna blame my mum 4 not teaching me how to cook wn realy i dnt wna cook yet,
i fink the boys should get there lazy back side out of der car n do something in the kitchen should all b left 2 d lady, at d end of the day there are lots of guy chefs

lolz after all dts why the restaurants are available lolz,
me gna b 18 in feb muslim sis
u?

thing with my cousins mum AND my mum is that before marraige they also didnt know how to cook jack all

they both learned after marraige-and so did all my aunties in my family

so they cant really talk

-I shud be 19 in Feb

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
thing with my cousins mum AND my mum is that before marraige they also didnt know how to cook jack all

they both learned after marraige-and so did all my aunties in my family

so they cant really talk

-I shud be 19 in Feb

mahshallah

dts d thing the mums know what they been thru, they must hav been thru hard tym frm d in laws that why they dont want it happening 2 us lot now, dnt u fink?

i don't think just girls should learn, parents should teach both their sons and daughters to be self sufficient, and cooking is one of those means for both genders.

If your mother is ill and you're the only child, you have no sister. Your father is working why is it beyond you to russle something up for your mother? My sister has no daughters she is teaching her sons to cook, and they don;t raise any objections, in fact they enjoy it, it;s a new skill for them.

When you're at university it would be useful to know how to cook for both girls and boys. Since students are always complaining about money being tight, maybe they could save some by making their own food. Plus home cooked food tastes far better and is more nutritious than takeaways. And you know what's going in, how pure it is. (i used to love eating out but i'm totally put off, i think of hygiene matters too much. always wonder if the cook washed his hands after he used the loo. if he picked his nose and carried on cooking. A thousand things go through my mind lol)

When the husband is ill the wife will look after him and make sure he is fed. But when the wife is ill realistically how many men will bother to feed their wives? They will make excuses, so she will usually be forced to do it herself. Or they will get their mother or sister to make something. Thus making the wife feel like a burden. Learn to cook brother you're a disgrace can't even feed ya wife :x

Our prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) helped out with domestics why is it beyond men to do this. Saying it's just a female skill is a load of trash. Why are there more male professional chefs about if its merely a female skill duh?

So mothers and grans are right when they say a girl should know how to cook, but they need to adjust their ideas to include the male species too. I'm lucky my husband can cook, he often cooks for me on his days off.

It's true you can follow a cookbook but if you love your mothers homemade cooking and want to savour it for years to come you have to learn off her coz them recipes will never be the same in books trust me.

I don't think everyone can follow cookbooks though. There are some seriously slow ppl out there like my brother. Claims he's intelligent but the only thing he can make is tea and toast. I shouldn't forget the cereal coz it's taxing pouring in the milk and sugar Gordan Ramsey would be proud of him

Lol Gordon swears a lot but i think he's fab always makes me laugh ahhaah.

lolz dts tru wa u sayin der, r u gna mek ur sons cook?
cz i dnt fink i am lolz

"yashmaki" wrote:

When the husband is ill the wife will look after him and make sure he is fed. But when the wife is ill realistically how many men will bother to feed their wives? They will make excuses, so she will usually be forced to do it herself. Or they will get their mother or sister to make something. Thus making the wife feel like a burden. Learn to cook brother you're a disgrace can't even feed ya wife :x

easy Yash Wink

but yeah-girls should know how to cook

but realistically speaking-many girls are in full time education AND work

so how many can fit in cooking lessons in their timetable

yes i am i don't think it's a female skill as such is a life skill. The more skills you have in life the better. I want my kids to make good wholesome food not eat takeaways when i'm not around for them. Biggrin

i learned to cook from the age of 8 or 9. it;s best to learn whilst you're in early secondary school or end of primary school, coz you're at home more. But even if you're at uni if you go home on a weekend you could help your mum cook, then a week later you could try making the same dish under her supervision. It can be done if you really wana learn.

I love some of delia's recipes i always salivate over the pics say yeah one day i'm gona make that.. but i never get around to buying the right dish size etc never do. Other day made lasagne using one of her recipes trust me it came out phat darn tasty, and it looked amazing better than delias pics, "lets be avin ya!" Lol

"yashmaki" wrote:
It can be done if you really wana learn.

yep

that bits tru

but if cooking bores u then u ont get v far

i know how to boil an egg Dirol Dirol Dirol

....well just about Wink

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

i aint mad about indian cooking, just got sick of it. But i like trying out different cuisines. Particularly like Italian and chinese cooking. Mexican food tastes fab need to try cooking some of them dishes. I like experimenting. Indian cooking does bore me a bit though coz it's the norm, it's my staple food so :roll:

"xXkUr1Xx" wrote:

dts d thing the mums know what they been thru, they must hav been thru hard tym frm d in laws that why they dont want it happening 2 us lot now, dnt u fink?

I doubt it

none of my aunties or mum complained about having a hard time cos they couldnt cook

like I said-its easy to pick up

did you see that episode where delia smith showed us how to boil an egg. I was laughing my head off looooool. She was being so straight faced you may be thinking why am i showing you how to boil and egg but you'd be surprised how many ppl don't know how to do this correctly. ppl being a euphamism for men Lol

Ok to be fair to men it can be hard to boil an egg, when you're 5 Biggrin

I never thght of that she's got a point. I know of gals who get a lot of lip off their mother in laws coz they can't cook. Why should i cook for you. All my life i cooked it's my time to rest you come to my house live here and expect me to cook for you're. Them women are pure evil. Nice mother in laws would be patient and teach the girl. But then some mother in laws can end up dissing the girls parents saying they didn't do their parental job, failed to teach child how to cook. Evil Evil Evil.

If you wait until after marriage to learn how to cook then what are you going to cook on the first day after you get married?

Beans on toast?

:roll:

first day after marriage his cousins cooked for me. We had invites here and there no cooking. First week i wasn't to cook not the done thing in my culture apparently i chilled out Biggrin

First cooking i did husband was there he did one dish i did the other

Well enver i think you mean what am i (the husband) gona eat if my wife can't cook. as if you're concerned about whether the girl eats or not, you guys just wana sit back and be fed! :x

"yashmaki" wrote:
Well enver i think you mean what am i (the husband) gona eat if my wife can't cook. as if you're concerned about whether the girl eats or not, you guys just wana sit back and be fed! :x

I won't just be sitting back.

I'll be out there getting the food and utensils so she can cook, as well as the gas and electric.

Lol-Irfan on the first day of marriage are you going to send your newlywed bride into the kitchen?

And what’s wrong with beans on toast? Greasy parathe are so not good for you…

But on a serious note, yeah girls should learn to cook… for themselves. If they don’t know how to cook how will they feed themselves? Man can’t live on takeaways alone…

But the statement that “no man will marry a girl who can’t cook” is stupid…But why would a girl want to marry someone who wants to be with her based on her skill in the kitchen anyway?

That’s so not the “ingredients” to a happy marriage…

And Yash, that reminds me apparently in the Bengali/Pakistani culture a bride shouldn’t cook or clean until her mehndi fades….so it might be worth checking out some permanent stuff (j/k).

I can cook, but I don’t cook. I learnt when mum went away to Umrah for a few weeks. Dad taught me…he’s a great cook.

I know how to make the basic stuff….currently I don’t feel the need to cook. Nor do I have the time at all. On most days I get home around 6.00pm and on some evenings I have lectures from 6-9 in Uni.

Mum didn’t know how to cook before marriage, she’s an expert cook now.....

"yashmaki" wrote:

I never thght of that she's got a point. I know of gals who get a lot of lip off their mother in laws coz they can't cook. Why should i cook for you. All my life i cooked it's my time to rest you come to my house live here and expect me to cook for you're. Them women are pure evil. Nice mother in laws would be patient and teach the girl. But then some mother in laws can end up dissing the girls parents saying they didn't do their parental job, failed to teach child how to cook. Evil Evil Evil.

And that's why its important to check out what the mother in law is like before marraige...

I'd refuse a guy based on his mum. :oops:

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Lol-Irfan on the first day of marriage are you going to send your newlywed bride into the kitchen?

You have to start as you mean to go on.

If you give them any bit of leeway then they become complacent.

"Enver" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

You have to start as you mean to go on.

If you give them any bit of leeway then they become complacent.

Very intresting. And to think, some people are naive enough to consider the first few weeks of marraige the "honeymoon period".

Anyways, your "TheMan" Irfan. Wink

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

I have a cousin around my age who is ALWAYS getting told off by her mum cos she don't know how to cook-apparently no guy will want to marry her :roll:

yea my mum used to say that to...

i cant cook cnt be bothered, BUT obviously a guy whos desperate for a burgundy pass will marry any lass...whether she cant cook , dumb deaf or blind.

Obviously I'm kidding.

But my mate's brother gives him some interesting advice. He says you should shout at your wife at least once a month. Keeps 'em on their feet.

So whenever he realises he hasn't shouted at his wife for a while, he makes something up and starts shouting.

"naj" wrote:

i cant cook cnt be bothered, BUT obviously a guy whos desperate for a burgundy pass will marry any lass...whether she cant cook , [banned word] deaf or blind.

Welcome back Sis...

But I'm sure you wouldnt want to marry I-m so happy such a guy? :?

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

i cant cook cnt be bothered, BUT obviously a guy whos desperate for a burgundy pass will marry any lass...whether she cant cook , [banned word] deaf or blind.

Welcome back Sis...

But I'm sure you wouldnt want to marry I-m so happy such a guy? :?

no muslim sis i DONT, but looks like things are heading that way :x

"Enver" wrote:
Obviously I'm kidding.

But my mate's brother gives him some interesting advice. He says you should shout at your wife at least once a month. Keeps 'em on their feet.

So whenever he realises he hasn't shouted at his wife for a while, he makes something up and starts shouting.

Showing a woman love "keeps em on their feet". Women are also more likely to respect such a man.

Men lose their women's respect when they give in to ALL their unresonable demands.

When I get shouted at I just become stubborn and moody. :oops:

Pages