Love thy neighbour

99 posts / 0 new
Last post

this love thy neighbour quote, is it similar to the idea of loving your neighbour in Islam? Coz in our religion we have this concept that we shouldn't fill our bellies whilst our neighbours go hungry. See here:

[b]Allah, the Exalted, says:

"Worship Allah and join none with Him (in worship); and do good to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, Al-Masakin (the poor), the neighbour who is near of kin, the neighbour who is a stranger, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (you meet), and those (slaves) whom your right hands possess.'' (4:36)

306. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "O Muslim women! No one of you should consider insignificant (a gift) to give to her neighbour even if it is (a gift of) the trotters of a sheep".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith means that neighbours should present gifts to each other. The rich men and the poor according to their means. One who is poor should not think that what he is presenting to his neighbour is not worthy of giving. Even his humble gift, provided it is presented with sincerity, will find acceptance with Allah. According to the Noble Qur'an: "So whosoever does good equal to the weight of an ant (or a small ant) shall see it.'' (99:7)

It is, however, better for a rich person to present a gift which goes well with his means. He should not give anything to his neighbour which is stale or which he does not like for himself because apart from insincerity, such a thing shows his contempt for the neighbour while gift is, in fact, a token of sincerity and brotherhood. [/b]

Many more, Ref:

Treating our neighbours with the upmost respect muslim or not is a duty bound on us. But this goes beyond just neighbours to the interactions we have with ppl and society in general. What's the Christian concept on the quote?

"yashmaki" wrote:
this love thy neighbour quote, is it similar to the idea of loving your neighbour in Islam? Coz in our religion we have this concept that we shouldn't fill our bellies whilst our neighbours go hungry. Treating our neighbours with the upmost respect muslim or not is a duty bound on us. But this goes beyond just neighbours to the interactions we have with ppl and society in general. What's the Christian concept on the quote?

Actually the quote itself is Christian.

Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, [b]but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself[/b]: I am the Lord.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, [b]Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.[/b]

Constantine,

Leviticus (Vayikrah) is Torah. Credit where credit's due.

There is a story that a man asked Shammai to teach him the Torah while he hopped, and Shammai (a fairly strict literalist) sent him away. So he went to Hillel (big heart) with the same request, and Hillel quoted Rabbi Akiva, "ve'ahavta le'reiacha k'mocha, ze klal gadol b'torah" - "love your neighbour like yourself, this is the great essence of Torah".

So, all three have the same teaching on this subject...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

the talmud needs to be read to understand the torah of the jews. There it is clear that the ''neighbour'' referred to is the jew, the chosen person of G-d's chosen people.

Their theology towards the gentile, is somewhat different.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Med,

That is a falsehood. To understand Jews you merely have to meet with Jews like anybody else. You do not understand Talmud, if you believe that. Not every point in the Talmud is a central authority, and if you have been offended by it you should ask a Rabbi if the matter is discussed rather than read a catalogue of extracts with antisemitic intentions, and pass that antisemitism on.

Can you please not throw about the accusation of anti-semitism.

You say he is wrong. Now discuss this as gentlemen.

I would assume Med is wrong aswell, but him being wrong does not make him antisemitic or anti jewish. It does not clear him either. It means he is wrong.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Salam

Yes Admin, but he hates the Jews.

Omrow

"100" wrote:
Constantine,

Leviticus (Vayikrah) is Torah. Credit where credit's due.

There is a story that a man asked Shammai to teach him the Torah while he hopped, and Shammai (a fairly strict literalist) sent him away. So he went to Hillel (big heart) with the same request, and Hillel quoted Rabbi Akiva, "ve'ahavta le'reiacha k'mocha, ze klal gadol b'torah" - "love your neighbour like yourself, this is the great essence of Torah".

lol - when I was looking for the quote from matthew I ran across a website that showed all the references in the torah and the bible to the phrase, that's actually the first I had heard of it in the OT and I was too lazy to change my post.

But yes - credit where credit is due the phrase originate from the Torah.

Out of interest I never considered that Jesus might have been quoting or reflecting a notion shared by other Rabbis, that you can "boil down" the torah into these several phrases - if you read the Matthew quote it's very similar to Hillel/Akiva's quote.

Jesus was jewish and was called Rabbi - I have no idea if he had any particular training - is it possible he wasn't really revealing anything new with that thought but rather he was repeating an orthodox already in existance belief?

He may have been.

Admin, I certainly didn't. But his sources are pretty hateful, and I don't mean Talmud.

k whatevaa 100. I have met a number of jews so I speak from experience of the ones I have met.

Secondly, the stuff that is in that talmud is pretty heavy, I have seen a wealth of evidence in regards to my statement that the neighbour is always referring to the fellow jew, the gentile is little more than an animal.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Constantine,

To some degree, and for my part that is close to how I see him. He is considered in traditional Jewish lore to have been a false messiah, acceding to moral compromise for the sake of rallying the masses.

"Med" wrote:
the talmud needs to be read to understand the torah of the jews. There it is clear that the ''neighbour'' referred to is the jew, the chosen person of G-d's chosen people.

Their theology towards the gentile, is somewhat different.

lol

Med, quote the Jews you have met, on this subject.

lol. Med you read the b'ham riots topic?

"Admin" wrote:
lol. Med you read the b'ham riots topic?

no. y?

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

lol. Med you read the comment I left just now?

"100" wrote:
Constantine,

To some degree, and for my part that is close to how I see him. He is considered in traditional Jewish lore to have been a false messiah, acceding to moral compromise for the sake of rallying the masses.

Gotcha - I think to a certain degree gentiles read his words and think "Wow! what insight!" largely because they are unfamiliar with what the Jews already knew (you guys do keep to yourselves... can't think of any jewish evangelists).

It's would be nice to see Christianity get closer to it's jewish roots

Constantine, why is that?

btw you can say a lot of things but you can't say we keep ourselves to ourselves. So many half-truths, so little good.

"100" wrote:

btw you can say a lot of things but you can't say we keep ourselves to ourselves.

When it became the imperial state religion it latinized. The practices and religious traditions (though monotheistic) that the church embraced were just an adaptation of the Latin cults.

For example the Pontifex Maximus is a position that actually stretches back millenia - hundreds of years before Christ.

Julius Caesar was a pope.

We stopped thinking of ourselves as "Jews + converted Gentiles following a different path within Judaism" and began to think of ourselves as a whole new religion.

Technically there is no reason Christians shouldn't be taking Jewish names, celebrating Jewish feasts and the like.

The original Christians were the Jews who followed Jesus and the gentiles they converted to this new path in Judaism.

"100" wrote:

btw you can say a lot of things but you can't say we keep ourselves to ourselves. So many half-truths, so little good.

Compared to Christianity or Islam I think it's certainly a fair comment - most of the Jews I know only talk about Judaism with me in response to direct questions - i've never met a Jew who tried to convert me or anyone around me.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing - just a thing.

"100" wrote:
Why bother?

It would be the right thing to do.

We are a large religion, and for years we have been abusing our "older brothers" which really shouldn't happen.

Certainly we understand you believe we are really really really confused but if we stick to our guns we cannot believe the same of you.

If Christian doctrine got back to it's roots I think you would see far less obsession with stomping the Jews out and flat out antisemitism coming from the Christian world.

But not the same as keeping ourselves to ourselves, see.

Constantine, if we were not ever confused there would be no dogma in the first place. Confused has nothing to do with it.

"100" wrote:
But not the same as keeping ourselves to ourselves, see.

Constantine, if we were not ever confused there would be no dogma in the first place. Confused has nothing to do with it.

lol no I don't mean you ghettoize yourself if that's what you took from it. Jews are actually quite prominent in civic and cultural affairs from Justice Brandeis to Steven Spielberg.

Also... perhaps I misunderstand your second comment but I was if the Christian community pulled back to its 1st century roots I think you would find that Jews then would begrudgedly admit Christians are Jews - just way off track and therefore are rejected but still "Jewish-like," whereas the Christians would not make such a distinction seeing themselves as still with it.

There is nothing particularly bad about that relationship - but it certainly stressed our commonalities more than our differences.

I don't see a reason that had to die.

I declare victory for the forces of Uberjustice.

I'm just in a rotten mood. btw nobody won, do as you please.

"Constantine" wrote:
I declare victory for the forces of Uberjustice.

Doesn't that mean you're declaring war on youself?

Pages