Heels...HARAAAAM!

146 posts / 0 new
Last post

Is there a heel fatwa lol seriously?? Heels from Faith Shoes are exempt because they maintain the faith as the name suggests, making them a must have item for every conscious muslimah...

The most natural way for humans to walk is bare footed. This was the norm for a long time until some man decided to design shoes. At first it had a practical purpose but slowly it just became a fashion accessory, and even luxury. Heels are designed to attract men, it forces a woman to have an abnormal posture, i don't want to explain in detail coz i think it would be immodest to do that in a mixed forum but if you do a google search about heel and posture i'm sure it will explain more clearly. I think this has a lot to do with foot fetishes that men have. Perhaps this is why some madhabs cite the feet as part of the awrah as well (Hanafis don't) Apparently women cite shoes as the one item they have most in their wardrobe. I know of girls who have more than 10 shoes, they obviously have money to waste.

In many third world countries they don't wear shoes due to poverty, but some don't wear it simply because it is more natural for them and easier to perform daily tasks. If you've noticed a lot of top footballer players recruited by agents for major football clubs trained bare footed in the dirt. No wonder they make some of the best players.

I used to wear heels, but i quit because of the noise, and unwanted attention, plus it makes the hips sway which doesn't look right if you're after modesty. Also makes the jilbab look shorter.

This said i do like heels but i don't think I'd buy them just to wear in the house , no footwear in the house for sheer comfort, except flip flops for the bathroom.

P.S I think a lot of western fashions and even asian clothing in the west isn't designed with thought for the average height of a woman 5'4-5'6. Instead they are designed a few inches longer on purpose I suspect so that a large majority of women are forced to wear heels, and thus get sucked into buying countless pairs of heels to match their outfits.

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

hmmm i just read thru the last few pages and totally forgot what i was gonna say now Lol

argh too early in the morning.

When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it is not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.

Hajjar wrote:
Heels are designed to attract men,

Yes originally when they came out that might have been the case but in the 21st century its not about the men anymore rather its about attracting other women and making them envious (i think Wednesday said something along these lines).

Hajjar wrote:
it forces a woman to have an abnormal posture,

A lot of women struggle to walk in heels sometimes because it dont know how to and other times because they are too high. If the heel is not excessively high, not worn on a permanent basis and you can walk in them properly it will not affect your posture in anyway.

Hajjar wrote:
I think this has a lot to do with foot fetishes that men have.

Come on when was the last time you heard a man saying he married his wife for her feet! Her skin colour (or should i say the lack of) or her eyes yes but her feet naaaa.

Hajjar wrote:
I used to wear heels, but i quit because of the noise, and unwanted attention, plus it makes the hips sway which doesn't look right if you're after modesty. Also makes the jilbab look shorter.

Flat shoes can make the hips sway as well. Heels can pick up the jilbab up from the floor (do in my case).

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Hajjar wrote:
Is there a heel fatwa lol seriously?? Heels from Faith Shoes are exempt because they maintain the faith as the name suggests, making them a must have item for every conscious muslimah...

The most natural way for humans to walk is bare footed. This was the norm for a long time until some man decided to design shoes. At first it had a practical purpose but slowly it just became a fashion accessory, and even luxury. Heels are designed to attract men, it forces a woman to have an abnormal posture, i don't want to explain in detail coz i think it would be immodest to do that in a mixed forum but if you do a google search about heel and posture i'm sure it will explain more clearly. I think this has a lot to do with foot fetishes that men have. Perhaps this is why some madhabs cite the feet as part of the awrah as well (Hanafis don't) Apparently women cite shoes as the one item they have most in their wardrobe. I know of girls who have more than 10 shoes, they obviously have money to waste.

In many third world countries they don't wear shoes due to poverty, but some don't wear it simply because it is more natural for them and easier to perform daily tasks. If you've noticed a lot of top footballer players recruited by agents for major football clubs trained bare footed in the dirt. No wonder they make some of the best players.

This said i do like heels but i don't think I'd buy them just to wear in the house , no footwear in the house for sheer comfort, except flip flops for the bathroom.

P.S I think a lot of western fashions and even asian clothing in the west isn't designed with thought for the average height of a woman 5'4-5'6. Instead they are designed a few inches longer on purpose I suspect so that a large majority of women are forced to wear heels, and thus get sucked into buying countless pairs of heels to match their outfits.

I agree on what u said after ps
thats so true!
trousers never fit me without heels!

BUT
nowadays
u cant exactly walk barefoot!
can u imagine walking barefoot on a pavement?!
it would hurt!

^^^ most women trousers come in short, regular and long.

yes but the short leg is sometimes too short for me, depends on where you buy it. Topshop is usually the best for a good range of trousers with different lengths. when i put my shoes on. yes my shoes are flat but they have a bit of a heel just like trainers do so you're not feeling the ground entirely. they're not totally flat like ballerina shoes get me? Alterations cost a lot of money if you aint got a machine to do it yourself dry cleaners charge 10 quid just to take up a few inches what a joke.

My mother in law is short and petite its a nightmare everything has to be altered or custom made, and it's all about convenience, time and money. Something most ppl don't have. When i go shopping i want to buy a garment without having to think it costs x amount and its gona cost y to get it altered then this much time before i can get it back for mother in law to wear. Its tough, i feel sorry for her, well for myself coz i have to shop for her lol

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

Naz* wrote:

true
but
short is too short
and regular is slightly too long!
I shouldnt have to alter my own trousers
n the problem with trousers nowadays is that they're low on the hip, and they dont fit on the waist like they used to
stupid hipster styles

1R4M wrote:
Naz* wrote:

true
but
short is too short
and regular is slightly too long!
I shouldnt have to alter my own trousers
n the problem with trousers nowadays is that they're low on the hip, and they dont fit on the waist like they used to
stupid hipster styles

Hmm strange. I think it depends on where you buy them from. I agree about them not fitting on the waist, takes the biscuit. :x Have you ever noticed how big the trousers and clothes in general are in the kids section in New look (not that i shop from the kids section)? My best trousers are my work trousers. They fit perfect around the waist (which is a first) and then they are lose all the way down which gives you room to manoeuvre.

What about in rural China where women's feet are bound from the time they are children so they don't grow properly, because small feet are seen as 'feminin'/'desirable'?

Is this linked, or am I being facecious?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Naz* wrote:

Hmm strange. I think it depends on where you buy them from. I agree about them not fitting on the waist, takes the biscuit. :x Have you ever noticed how big the trousers and clothes in general are in the kids section in New look (not that i shop from the kids section)? My best trousers are my work trousers. They fit perfect around the waist (which is a first) and then they are lose all the way down which gives you room to manoeuvre.

yeah my formal trousers fit PERFECTLY
Next do good trousers/jeans

Yeah im not really comfortable with this cant this be moved to the sisters(losers) sections please? lol only joking.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Funzo wrote:
Yeah im not really comfortable with this cant this be moved to the sisters(losers) sections please? lol only joking.

LOL bearing in mind ur gonna get married to a 'loser' one day ..Ha!

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

1R4M wrote:
Naz* wrote:

yeah my formal trousers fit PERFECTLY
Next do good trousers/jeans

Ditto at the trousers from next. Not really a jean person. Only own 2 pairs which ive only recently started wearing quite a bit coz its too cold to wear combats in this weather.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

xSmurfy786x wrote:
Funzo wrote:

Good thing she's marrying a winner then innit. It will all balance out.
Biggrin

Back in BLACK

Ya'qub wrote:
What about in rural China where women's feet are bound from the time they are children so they don't grow properly, because small feet are seen as 'feminin'/'desirable'?

Is this linked, or am I being facecious?

Yeah it's an example of men setting their fashion agenda on women.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

What is the ruling on women wearing high heels?

Praise be to Allaah.

Wearing high heels is not permissible because it exposes women to the risk of falling, and we are commanded in sharee’ah to avoid danger in a general sense, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves”

[al-Nisa’ 4:29]

“and do not throw yourselves into destruction”

[al-Baqarah 2:195]

It also makes women look taller than they really are and makes their posteriors appear more prominent, and this is a kind of deception and showing the adornments which the believing woman is forbidden to show, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam)” [al-Noor 24:31]

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, Majallat al-Buhooth, 9/46.

Moreover, it also makes a woman lean forward (maa’ilah ila al-amaam), so there is the fear that the warning issued to those women who walk with an enticing gait (al-maa’ilaat al-mumilaat) may apply to her too [in the hadeeth which says that such women will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise from afar]. It also harms the back, as has been proven medically. The heels also make a sound which attracts the attention of men and is a temptation to them. We ask Allaah to keep us all safe and sound.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

ام حسام الدين

Seraphim wrote:
xSmurfy786x wrote:
Funzo wrote:

Good thing she's marrying a winner then innit. It will all balance out.
Biggrin

LOL

I would be careful about getting answers from IslamiQA the TV programme some of them give you "what-the-hell" answers. Some are alright, though. I don't know which one Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid is.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

That answer is vague.

What size heels are they talking about? 1/4 inch? stiletto?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

heel cannot be classed as haram but can be makruh depending on the heel and how it looks. if it makes a really loud noise and makes people look at you when walking then obviously that is going to be disliked. the same with make up, make up itself isn't haram but the way and how much you apply can be.

i think i'll ask shaykh faraz rabbani to clear this up once and for all.

Umm Husamuddin wrote:

What is the ruling on women wearing high heels?

Praise be to Allaah.

Wearing high heels is not permissible because it exposes women to the risk of falling, and we are commanded in sharee’ah to avoid danger in a general sense, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves”

“and do not throw yourselves into destruction”

[al-Baqarah 2:195]

It also makes women look taller than they really are and makes their posteriors appear more prominent, and this is a kind of deception and showing the adornments which the believing woman is forbidden to show, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam)” [al-Noor 24:31]

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, Majallat al-Buhooth, 9/46.

Moreover, it also makes a woman lean forward (maa’ilah ila al-amaam), so there is the fear that the warning issued to those women who walk with an enticing gait (al-maa’ilaat al-mumilaat) may apply to her too [in the hadeeth which says that such women will never even smell the fragrance of Paradise from afar]. It also harms the back, as has been proven medically. The heels also make a sound which attracts the attention of men and is a temptation to them. We ask Allaah to keep us all safe and sound.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

The first verse (al-Nisa 4:29) used by the sheikh to back up his point is talking about suicide. Ive yet to hear a woman who has used the heel of her shoes to kill herself.

The second verse (al-Baqarah 2:195) doesnt even back up the point he has made. Let me show you.

This is what al-Baqarah 2:195 read froms my Quran "And spend in the cause of Allah and do not throw yourselves into destruction, and do good. Truly, Allah loves Al-Muhsinun.

This is another English translation taken from this site

"And spend of your substance in the cause of Allah, and make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction; but do good; for Allah love those who do good."

I dont think I need to say anything further, its self explanatory from the verses.

I do agree with issue of it making women look taller. Its a form of deception which isnt allowed in Islam.

The third verse (al-Noor 24:31) He has copied and pasted the wrong bit. The verse continues (which is the most important part in strengthen his argument) where he has stopped.

From my Quran reads as follows: ......."And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment."

The site reads as follows: "And that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments."

As for heels damaging the back, again depends on the size and how often they are worn.
Another issue for ppl to consider. A pregnant woman can damage/deform her spine by carrying a child for 9 months. Does that mean to say women shouldnt have children?

@Lampy not having a go at you or your scholar dude just some of things he said didnt really add up and wanted to clarify some points.

If someone wants to challenge me on my points feel free. Smile

The Lamp wrote:
I would be careful about getting answers from IslamiQA the TV programme some of them give you "what-the-hell" answers. Some are alright, though. I don't know which one Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid is.

The source you have mentioned is not the same source the fatwa is from.

The fatwa is from the website of Sheikh Munajjid,

It is not from a television programme.

ام حسام الدين

Naz* wrote:

As for heels damaging the back, again depends on the size and how often they are worn.
Another issue for ppl to consider. A pregnant woman can damage/deform her spine by carrying a child for 9 months. Does that mean to say women shouldnt have children?

You are comparing pregnancy to the issue of of a woman wearing high heels?

SubhaanAllah.

ام حسام الدين

i wouldn't take anything from that q&a website.

Umm Husamuddin wrote:

And do not kill yourselves

Sorry, had to LOL at that.

Maybe we shouldn't ever cross the road cos theres a chance of getting run over by a bus. Or go outside cos we might get skin cancer.

Noori wrote:
i wouldn't take anything from that q&a website.

Could you explain why please?

ام حسام الدين

ws,

wobblers.

sorry, I do not understand what you mean, please clarify, jazakAllaah khayrun.

ام حسام الدين

Umm Husamuddin wrote:
sorry, I do not understand what you mean, please clarify, jazakAllaah khayrun.

She means they are Wahabbi, but since you studied in Saudi Arabia maybe this isn't an issue for you.

Pages