Weddings!

739 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
I'm terrified whats going to happen with my bachelor's party. My best man is a long time friend from High School... and he really hasn't changed since High School and still thinkgs im High School Dave.

I flat out told him i'm dropping him as best man if he hires strippers or if there is excessive drinking planned.

Just want a basketball game and some cake...

Do muslim men have bachelor parties or is that more of a western thing

Depends, a stag night is more like drinkin etc but if Muslim guys are used to the western way of life ie clubbing/drinkin then they are likely to have the above.

I think its cool as long as it is halal, you can play pranks on the groom!

"latifah" wrote:
Dave...

Just don't let them get you totally drunk and tie up to a lamppost...

Congrats on you engagement!

Biggrin

Thanks!

lol... and that's not terribly outside the bounds of reality with these people

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
[b]And spas are creating groom packages that include nail treatments, hairstyling and even tanning sessions.

Exclusively Male in Cincinnati, Ohio, offers a groom-groomsmen special, including hairstyling, manicure and pedicure, for $90 a person. [/b]

So Dave

u booked ur appointment then :twisted:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
[b]And spas are creating groom packages that include nail treatments, hairstyling and even tanning sessions.

Exclusively Male in Cincinnati, Ohio, offers a groom-groomsmen special, including hairstyling, manicure and pedicure, for $90 a person. [/b]

So Dave

u booked ur appointment then :twisted:

I'm marrying a beautiful girl that actually wants to have children with me.

Couldn't feel more secure about my sexuality.

So [i]sure[/i] i'd be game for a little pampering, i'm not afraid to get in touch with my feminine side.

Sometimes I even wear [i]pink[/i] shirts *GASP*

Around here we call this "confidence" - and most girls seem to like it.

"Andoverpolo" wrote:

Well its in fashion now DUH :roll:

I personally think only a FEW guys can pull off the colour "pink"

"Angel" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

it IS??! Fool

no offence but thats just GAY. :? there are some things 'in fashion' that i can never accept. Wink

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

It's GAY with gay men.

But I am a text book straight alpha male, and that's obvious.

Ergo it's acceptable.

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Angel" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

it IS??! Fool

no offence but thats just GAY. :? there are some things 'in fashion' that i can never accept. Wink

Yep its in and i agree its gay but i do also think few, VERY few guys can pull it off without lookin gay

What does "ergo" mean Dave :? my mate uses it, never had the chance to ask her!

EDIT

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
It means "therefore"

ooooook

Where does this word derive from?

Latin

Impress her by using these other Latin Phrases and Words:

Id est
Quid pro quo
Res ipsa loquitur
Ipso Facto
Alia jocta est
Videlicet
Ad hoc
Ad Nauseum
Caveat
Exempli Gratia

"Angel" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

true....

but i agree wiv aasiyah does look pretty gayish... ewww

So Dave!

Have you set the date for the wedding yet? Biggrin

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
It's GAY with gay men.

Ergo it's acceptable.

it's not acceptable regardless of how much weight one lifts... :roll: Blum 3

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Mez" wrote:
So Dave!

Have you set the date for the wedding yet? Biggrin

Yes! September 2nd.

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:
It's GAY with gay men.

Ergo it's acceptable.

it's not acceptable regardless of how much weight one lifts... :roll: Blum 3

It's just a color! I don't know who randomly decided one day that henceforth and forever the colors pink and purple can only be worn by gays - but I don't care.

If I like a shirt i'll wear it.

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
It's just a color! I don't know who randomly decided one day that henceforth and forever the colors pink and purple can only be worn by gays - but I don't care.

purple? dunno bout that one but pink is definitely a girls colour. :roll:

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
Latin

Id est
Quid pro quo
Res ipsa loquitur
Ipso Facto
Alia jocta est
Videlicet
Ad hoc
Ad Nauseum
Caveat
Exempli Gratia

What do they mean, translation please!

Agree with Aasiyah pink is a girly colour, everyone knows that :roll:

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

purple? dunno bout that one but pink is definitely a girls colour. :roll:

lol who decided it's a girls color?

...and don't say the hospital because baby blue is also considered girly.

Back to marriage - help me out with this one. How do you work out competing careers when they are leading literally in two seperate directions?

EG. NYC and Oxford

It's impossible to get married and then split up for 3 years, and NYC to London is a bit of a jump - though makeable.

But when you want something for yourself and somebody else it's kind of like fighting yourself.

Ahh I remember the times when a difficult decision was whether to play nintendo or go to football

What a dilemna.

I personally would pursue my career path...after all you have the rest of your life to be together.

I'm sure you can get married but spend the first three of marriage just phoning/emailing and seeing one another every holidays.

Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
I'm sure you can get married but spend the first three of marriage just phoning/emailing and seeing one another every holidays.

i know a couple who did that for a year after marriage - but they were muslim. correct me if i'm wrong but that^ isnt particularly the done thing for non-muslims is it? :?:

"*DUST*" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

i know a couple who did that for a year after marriage - but they were muslim. correct me if i'm wrong but that^ isnt particularly the done thing for non-muslims is it? :?:

My cousin got married this summer. She lives in Bolton and her husband lives in Birmingham.

However, she is one year away from becoming a doctor. So she's still in University and visits her husband in B'ham every weekend.

I like her set up.

"Angel" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:
Latin

Id est
Quid pro quo
Res ipsa loquitur
Ipso Facto
Alia jocta est
Videlicet
Ad hoc
Ad Nauseum
Caveat
Exempli Gratia

What do they mean, translation please!

Agree with Aasiyah pink is a girly colour, everyone knows that :roll:

lol aren't you the one that said some guys can do it though?

Okay translations:

Id est (ie) - "the thing is" - used when you are saying "that is" or providing clarification.

Quid pro quo - "A thing for a thing" used to describe any situation in which you are offering an exchange of one thing for another. You scratch my back I scratch yours kind of a thing.

Res ipsa loquitur - "The thing speaks for itself" .... what can I say it speaks for itself.

Ipso Facto - "by the fact (or virtue) of" any time you are proving a point based on a logical if then statement that employs a fact you would use this. All trees are green, the douglass pine is a tree therefore, ipso facto it is green.

Alia jocta est - "The die is cast!" I think this is a caesar quote... either crossing the rubicron or the rhine. I'm pretty sure it's the rubicron because the austerity of it seems consistent with finality of a Roman Army invading.. Rome - basically you can throw this out any time you are talking about a situation which is past the tipping point. For example if you decided to build a hotel in your backyard and you dug the basement, had cranes on the property and the metal framework was in place, your father said "what are you doing!! stop this hotel immediately!" you could respond "Alia Jocta Est!"

Videlicet - "by name" or "namely" - often abbreviated "Viz"

Ad hoc - "as needed" any time something is used as needed - for example tribunals are often ad hoc, as are raincoats.

Ad Nauseum - "to the point of nausea" my explanations are going on ad nauseum

Caveat - "exception" pretty much speaks for itself (res ipsa loquitur)
Exempli Gratia - "by gift/grace of example" often abbreviated "eg"

There ya go. Next time she says "ergo" you can slap her back with more latin than she can handle - et sic est veritas.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

My cousin got married this summer. She lives in Bolton and her husband lives in Birmingham.

However, she is one year away from becoming a doctor. So she's still in University and visits her husband in B'ham every weekend.

I like her set up.

Yea... we've already spent four years apart, another 3 is nearly a decade and i'm not too thrilled about that.

Not to mention i'm an extremely jealous person with her...

And she isn't too interested in further seperation - but I don't want to put off LS or QC and she doesn't want to put off Medschool or Columbia.

A bit of a problem...

Do your cousin and cousin in law see each other a lot?

"Andoverpolo" wrote:

Do your cousin and cousin in law see each other a lot?

Every other weekend.

Thing is...its unfair to make either one of you sacrifice your chosen career. You've come so far.

And you have the rest of your life to be together...Just get your education out the way first.

Then you can totally relax, just enjoy each others company and grow old together.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
And you have the rest of your life to be together...Just get your education out the way first.

Then you can totally relax, just enjoy each others company and grow old together.

but we have no guarantee that we're gonna be alive tomorrow... Blum 3

"*DUST*" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

True...

"*DUST*" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

True. But he's not putting off his marraige....which is a good thing.

Sometimes when one or the other holds their partner back it results in bitterness and this is not good for a marriage.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Sometimes when one or the other holds their partner back it results in bitterness and this is not good for a marriage.

but that bitterness could go both ways - if one partner insists on going ahead with his/her career whilst the other isnt too keen on the idea of seperation... if it's a mutual decision for the sake of both their careers then no biggie, but if one is undecided yet they stil go ahead with it, this could lead to bitterness too...

Pages