Dr. Zakir Naik - good or what?

221 posts / 0 new
Last post

"yashmaki" wrote:
I wouldn't say he's a showman. But i too think the stage is not the best place to be discussing our sacred religion, or any religion. A hall, or place of worship seems more appropriate, and respectful. But you can't blame Dr Zakir Naik for that alone, many interfaith scholars use the stage, for the convenience it offers. You can accomodate a very large audience, mosques can't always do this.

It reminds me of the way Christian preachers took to the stage. Ditched their priestly robes for armani suits. Their pulpits for a stage, their voices for microphones, their small churches for concert halls, free admission to expensive box office tickets. It's like they're selling you religion. You ever seen them on tv? I almost expect them to say call this number today for your free introduction to God, money back guarantee. So distasteful

Muslim preachers are going in the same direction, perhaps they don't realise?

P.S Dave wasn't Swagat destroyed over adultery charges? I never liked Swagat. Not coz of his faith or anything like that he seemed soo arrogant and smug. He really was a salesman. I could never trust a word he said. How did he manage such a large following :?

That's absolutely correct - it's that kind of Christian that engages in these debates for the sole purpose of ramming their theology down somebody elses throat, supposedly speaking for all of us.

And you're right about Swaggart - about the same time he was running around "healing" people and "driving out demons" he was buying prostitutes on the street.

I can't stand that kind of theology. It does so much damage to everybody, cheapens and in completely twists Christianity in many ways and most of the time just insults people. It's not interfaith dialogue at all, it's a street brawl over whose God is bigger, the evangelist's or the "muslims"

well said Augustus i agree totally!

Quote:
it's a street brawl over whose God is bigger

mate we believe in the same God coz theres only one, just have different beliefs like thy say God has a son..when that itself is so UnGodly!? comparing God to human nature.....

"Augustus" wrote:
I can't stand that kind of theology. It does so much damage to everybody, cheapens and in completely twists Christianity in many ways and most of the time just insults people. It's not interfaith dialogue at all, it's a street brawl over whose God is bigger, the evangelist's or the "muslims"

i understand ur point now - evangelists represent noone but themselves. but is there anyone who can represent ALL christians of today? - wud u consider an orthodox or roman catholic speaker representative of ur views?

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"wass786" wrote:
thy say God has a son..when that itself is so UnGodly!? comparing God to human nature.....

um i hear thats a gross simplification, or even misinterpretation, of the concept of trinity...

hey dave, random interesting fact which i just realised myself recently: the angel Gabriel (Jibreel) is referred to as 'Holy Spirit' in the Quran.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Augustus" wrote:

i understand ur point now - evangelists represent noone but themselves. but is there anyone who can represent ALL christians of today? - wud u consider an orthodox or roman catholic speaker representative of ur views?

No, there is no one voice representing all Christendom - just like with Islam.

But just like with Islam there is consensus on a wide range of issues central to the faith which the majority of Christians regardless of denomination would ascribe to. There are degrees to which each church or movement ascribes to these core values, and depending on the degree they are considered more or less mainstream by the rest of Christendom.

So while a Catholic or a Greek Orthodox wouldn't represent my personal views as a reform protestant, they would be closer to the core values shared by all Christians than an evangelist on many issues.

The evangelical movement is the smallest of all Christian movements - they see themselves as a second reformation and therefore protestant, but a new kind of seperate protestant, and the rest of Christianity understands them that way also. They are also the newest movement in Christianity, with a roughly 130 year history and their doctrines creeds and theology has been fiercly debated within Christendom. To such a point in fact we are at a bit of a cold war... it's not discussed anymore and nothing was resolved.

Meanwhile the Eastern Orthodox, Catholic and Reform Protestant churchs have done a great deal of reconciliation in the last century, especially the last decade, Pope John Paul II especially has done a great deal of work reforming Catholic Canon Law, Doctrine and Dogma to seek greater integration with both churches.

So the old churches have made crossroads and found common points to bind to, while the small, new - but fastest growing evangelical movement is quickly alienating itself from the rest.

On an interesting note the Fundamentalist movement was originally what binded the evangelist movement and Protestant church, however it fizzled away and died under the evangelist (leaving only the perfect scripture doctrine) while it's found a quiet resting place in much of the Protestant world.

"*DUST*" wrote:
"wass786" wrote:
thy say God has a son..when that itself is so UnGodly!? comparing God to human nature.....

um i hear thats a gross simplification, or even misinterpretation, of the concept of trinity...

hey dave, random interesting fact which i just realised myself recently: the angel Gabriel (Jibreel) is referred to as 'Holy Spirit' in the Quran.

Why?

"Augustus" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
"wass786" wrote:

Why?

The Holy Spirit. Another name for the Angel Jibreel (Gabriel), peace be on him.

Jibreel): We quote, 'The word is from Hebrew. It has been used in the Qur'an three times, twice in sura 2:97, 98 and once in sura 66:4.

It refers to that heavenly force which brought the Holy Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (2:97). It has also been called Holy Spirit (Ruhul-Qudus) (16:102) and True Spirit (Ruhul-Ameen) (26:193).

We cannot comprehend or conceive anything about this heavenly force, as only a Prophet would know. This force used to bring the revelation exactly as ordained, without any addition, alteration or mixture.

source.........

"laila" wrote:
well said Augustus i agree totally!

"Next question please"..........................

Wink

I like this question actually.

Look you guys want muslims and especially nonmuslims to take this guy seriously so it's natural to question his accredations, beliefs, purpose and the venues in which he speaks.

If that leads to the conclusion that he isn't all that grand, the "or what" option than it's just going to have to be accepted.

And not avoided.

This is very much like me reading over Dr. Campbell's work and the folks over at answering-islam.com and coming to the conclusion they are 1. Hacks with no real accredation in comparative religion, 2. Outside the mainstream of Christianity, 3. Have a very obvious bias which peppers their "scholarly" work, and 4. Generally associated with [i]like minded hacks[/i].

Consequently the reason I not only don't recommend them, but condemn them for their misdirected work.

Source appraisal is a very important thing when you are recommending a a body of work to somebody.

Quote:

do you believe in '''trinity''' ? i mean they say 1+1+1 = 1. it even says they all have a different '[b]personality[/b]' which just kills it all off. LOL,,,pss

"wass786" wrote:
Quote:

do you believe in '''trinity''' ? i mean they say 1+1+1 = 1. it even says they all have a different '[b]personality[/b]' which just kills it all off. LOL,,,pss

i'm a muslimah, so no, i dont believe in trinity. but i think its all too easy to simplify someone elses beliefs in order to see yours as superior. the trinity is not as simple and 'easy-to-breakdown' as most muslims make it out to be.

is that right? then how come even the most highest of the christians cant explain it? ur saying WE are wrong thinkers then why dont you explain there way of thinking 1+1+1=1

i bet it'll never be clear it never has made sense and never will. thats not the only thing theres loads of errors

No point being confrontational.

(and wass you contradicted yourself in that post...)

She just said that its not as simple as muslims make it out when ridiculing it.

We still believe it is wrong, but there is no point in insulting others just to gain points...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
No point being confrontational.

(and wass you contradicted yourself in that post...)

She just said that its not as simple as muslims make it out when ridiculing it.

We still believe it is wrong, but there is no point in insulting others just to gain points...

exactly. thank you admin.

wass, it is not from the Prophet (s.a.w)'s example to argue for the sake of arguing. especially when we don't have enough knowledge on the matter. sure u can start up a discussion with one of ur christian friends, but y turn it into an argument? neither of you are going to get anywhere if you're trying to prove the superiority of your religion to eachother. imho, this is not the way to do da'wah.

"wass786" wrote:
sorry dust :roll: wasnt arguing really, just havnt had a propper answer to the question you see...

Wass, and only Wass;

Where is God?

well God isnt 'up' like people say.... because say if you had someone in America who said God is up, then you had someone on the other side of the earth who said God is 'up' it would make the American say God is 'down' get me?

so i believe God is everywhere Smile what about you..

"wass786" wrote:

So he is with you right now?

"Augustus" wrote:
"wass786" wrote:

So he is with you right now?

Allah swt is everywhere....................

At what point did I say I was opening this line of question to anyone but Wass?

Quote:

lol Augustus, yes i do believe so. you didnt answer my question hmm

Quote:
what about you..

"wass786" wrote:
Quote:

lol Augustus, yes i do believe so. you didnt answer my question hmm

Quote:
what about you..

I'm not done with you wass. You wanted somebody to explain the Trinity to you so i'm doing it, this isn't a discussion it's a lecture.

So answer my question - is he with you presently?

(The thing is he got the first question wrong... Allah (swt) CAN be everywhere/anywhere. However he is not bound by that 'limitation'.)

So do go on.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Is wass seriously this incapable of answering for himself?

I'm asking very simple questions of the most outspoken anti-Christian in this thread, and not only do I have to contend with his annoying attempts to preempt where i'm going, but now I have a growing peanut gallery jumping in to answer for him.

Wass, is God next to you?

thats what i said admin.. Allah swt is '''everywhere''' i think you read someone elses post :roll:

do i really have to say it again Augustus? Wink

"wass786" wrote:
thats what i said admin.. Allah swt is '''everywhere''' i think you read someone elses post :roll:

do i really have to say it again Augustus? Wink

You already answered that when I asked where God is.

I am asking you whether he is next to you.

That is a yes or no question.

Is God next to you?

Pages