we need to be more healthy what do you do to keep healthy?

246 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Augustus" wrote:
"nana" wrote:
Yep .....never come across anyone hacking a full pizza apart from my bro who clocked it once, he couldnt move... later he was sick lol.

lol back when I was significantly larger I could handle an 18inch.

I'm going to pay for that when i'm in my 60s...

no U must be kidding me :shock:

Erm you must have been quite large then lol.... im guessing above 90kgs

Mez: ur first recipe is rather complicated, what is a basil leave ?

I'm a large mammal. lol used to be much larger when I broke my leg and got lazy, but now iiiiiiiiiiim back!

"Augustus" wrote:
I'm a large mammal. lol used to be much larger when I broke my leg and got lazy, but now iiiiiiiiiiim back!

Scary

"Guest" wrote:
we need to be more healthy what do you do to keep healthy??????????????????????????

Salaam guest,

You ask a simple question that has a multitude of answers...

Well eating more fruit and veg is always a good place to start...

If, like me, you are really good at eating crisps [size=9](sweet chilli walkers sensation were my favourites, but they have like way too much monosodium glutamate) [/size]and chocolate [size=9](I especially like anything with gianduja in it)[/size] and are rubbish at eating fruits then smoothies are the way to go!

Buy a Blender (you can pick a good one up for around £15 or £3 from a car boot sale Wink ).
Just get the contents of your fruit bowl, even throw in a few vegetables if you like, chop ' em up, place them into the blender and keep on blending until you have no more lumps. Then you can either drink it 'neat', or add milk or yogurt or anything you like!

Don't put any sugar in, use honey instead.....Ahh Honey.....Used to hate it as a kid, but now I have it everyday! The best honey I've had is Sainsbury's Eucalyptus honey. The cheaper honey varieties are okay but they lack any real depth in the taste department...

Some good combinations of fruit and veg. are:
-Carrot, Orange and Ginger
-Banana and Honey
-Mangoe and Passion Fruit
-Strawberry and Banana
-Cranberries, raspberries and blueberries
-Mango/banana with ice cream/semi-skimmed milk - great to cool you down in summer.
-In fact, just throw together whatever you like. Experiment, taste and learn!

The really soft, sloppy, bruised mangoes that no one likes to eat are the best ones for a smoothie (it’s the same for bananas, raspberries, strawberries etc. the more bruises, the better).

In fact you can also make more than just smoothies with your blender e.g. Just roast some tomatoes with garlic, pop them into a blender with a little vegetable stock, a few basil leaves, salt and pepper and a little Tabasco and you have a healthy tomato soup.

If you don't have a blender, then the smoothies made by 'Innocent' are also good – although they are expensive. However Asda have them on sale at the moment; 1 litre comes in at around £1.48. They only contain fruit and nothing else, no extra water, preservatives or additives.
If you can afford them then they are a quick and tasty way of increasing your daily fruit intake.

May peace be blessed upon you.

Docendo Discimus

Good point - a blender was one of my best investments so far.

It's about the only way I can stand to eat fruit, and if you throw in some creatine or protein you've got yourself an even more healthy substance

Ok just an update on the food situation.

I was here at about 9... and realised I needed to make the jalfrezi!

legged it to kitchen, cut the boneless chicken I had brought earlier, sliced some tomatoes.

I oiled a pan, and put the sliced tomatoes in. cook into a paste. Then I added the chicken. and a bit of water. a bit turned into a lot.

I stood mixing it whilst cooking. then time for salt. How much? I aint got no idea. rang someone, and got the reply the normal ammount you use. a great help. thanks. after a few more question was told try half a tea spoon.

put that in kept mixing.

I also needed to amke dough for chappati, so i thought this was a good time. I made it too watery. added some flour. not watery enough. a bit more water, and too watery.

as i was doing this the chicken was nearly cooked! I needed to add the chilli and the spices. I lobbed them. abit too late. Added a bit more water. that dried quickly. Then remembers its jalfrezi i need eggs! lobbed some eggs in. Now the chocken had been cooking so long it was starting to break. quickly mixed everything again, threw in some corriander, and it was ready.

Now for the chappatti.

Did I mention the dough was a little watery?

I broke some dough away from the lot I had mixed, added a bit of flour on the outside, so that it would not stick on my hand. Made the chappatti shape. picked it up to place on the 'tawwa'. it broke apart.It was too watery. I added a bit more flour, remade it and finally placed it on the tawwa. cooked it. Nice triangle shape. a bit small.

for the second one I did th same thing again (including the too watery bit). Apart from i misse the tawwa landing. great make it again. This was more rounder.

instead iof the 30 mins its supposed to take, including cutting it took 1.5 hours in total. and the chilli's were slightly raw. And i put a bit too amny chillies in. And I made too much chicken.

I can handle chillies though, so I call this a success.

Now I have some too watery dough which I am stumped at what to do with... i think just leave it and hopefully it will go ok...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Now I have some too watery dough which I am stumped at what to do with... i think just leave it and hopefully it will go ok...

Salaam Admin,

Place it in a bowl and wrap it in cling film (basically just protect it from the air) and it will stay fresh. Just add some more flour to it to make it less watery Wink

Docendo Discimus

"Guest" wrote:
What are your favorite foods???????????????????

Any food you didn't like that you like now??????????????????

Salaam Guest,

Well, seeing as how the question [i]was[/i] asked:
A new favourite for me is chips, fish and mushy peas. I used to really hate mushy peas when I was a kid - I used to think they looked like bogeys. I'd always opt for baked beans whenever we had a choice, besides I'm not too fond of peas generally...

However, recently I was at a residential course and one the ladies that served lunch seemed to like me and so she'd give me really generous portions of food (she probably thought I needed fattening up). Anyway, it was the last day of the course and for Lunch we were having fish and chips.

So this lady got the biggest, juiciest cod portion she could find, piled a huge amount of chips on top of it and I was in the middle of thanking her when she emptied two huge ladles of mushy peas onto my plate...

I politely finished thanking her (through gritted teeth) and I wondered how I was going to eat this bogey ridden mountain of food...?
I couldn't throw it away, and there were much worse things to eat (like whitebait) and so I tucked in, the first few mouthfuls were full of a pea tasting horribleness, but then it all seemed to work. All the oil form the battered cod and chips was nicely offset against the earthy taste of the peas...
I carried on munching and I began to really really like it...?!
Now it’s one of my favourite dishes...

So there you go I used to hate mushy peas but now I think they’re great (but only with fish and chips).

Docendo Discimus

thanks paladin. I never minded mushy peas. but I hated 'stinky' peas. the solid ones that had an odour.

One thing I would not ming eating which I used to eat at school was baked bean pie. Oddly I preferred that over chips.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
thanks paladin. I never minded mushy peas. but I hated 'stinky' peas. the solid ones that had an odour.

One thing I would not ming eating which I used to eat at school was baked bean pie. Oddly I preferred that over chips.

Salaam Admin,

'Baked Bean Pie'? Is that a northern dish? Never had that when I was at school...
Is it just a pie case stuffed full of beans?

Docendo Discimus

Salaam

I think it is. Its simple really. as you said, baked beans in a pie.

But it tasted so good.

And I have never seen it anywhere else apart from that school.

and may peace be blessed on you too.

"Guest" wrote:
Why do you think that old asian people are unhealthy??????????????? So many people I know suffer from sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any ideas why??????????????
"yashmaki" wrote:
i'll give you one good reason. Asian ppl tend to have either chapattis or rice as part of their staple diet. But they tend to use either white flour or white rice, incidentally they're packed with sugar. They have that over years and years, in addition to any other sugar they may have.

My mother has recently been diagnosed with diabetes just out of the blue.

Salaam guest and yashmaki,

Sorry to hear about your mother yashmaki - may we pray for health and hope that she can recover from her ailment. Otherwise may she be rewarded for her patience...

The question of diabetes and health is a thought provoking one...

I wouldn't say the Asian diet is more oily (unless you use ghee a.k.a. heart attack paste) than that of any other culture.
Certainly no more oily than if you eat chips, sausages, bacon (and all the other meat from the swine which is amongst the fattiest of any any animal) on a regular basis.

I wouldn’t even say the problem with the Asian diet is due to white flour or white rice, althougth this idea from Yashmaki is along the right lines...

The problem, in my 'scientific' opinion, is the unleavened bread Asians eat; rotis, chappattis, taampa, and whatever else you might call them...
For the sake of clarity I will refer to it as 'Asian bread' – a bread made without the use of yeast.

So why is 'Asian Bread' so bad?
Well just look at how much flour is used to make two portions of 'Asian bread'. Imagine how much normal bread (like the one you have for toast) you’d need to eat (with all its air pockets and fluffiness) to equal two portions of 'Asian bread'. On average it takes 2.5 slices of normal bread to equal 1 portion of 'Asian bread'...
Basically Asians from the subcontinent eat a lot of bread, day in day out, throughout their lives; more than any other culture...

So what?
Asians have had the same diet for centuries and diabetes has never been a problem?
That’s true, but in the 'olden days' the Asians were much more active, sweating away in the fierce heat of the sun, working extremely hard. Then, even when they did eat, they ate far less than what is eaten today...
Today Asians eat much more than their ancestors and exercise much less...

But eating more bread and being less active, can this really cause diabetes?

Well, bread is rich in carbohydrate (also known as 'complex sugars') which your body needs to create energy.
Here’s some unrelated quick medical trivia:
If you run out of carbohydrate your body starts to break down adipose tissue (fat) to produce energy (this forms the basis of the Atkins diet). If you run low on fats then your body starts to breakdown proteins (muscle) to produce energy – this is a sign of malnourishment as people start ‘wasting away’.
If you run low on protein then your body starts to breakdown your organs (brain,liver etc.) to produce energy – better to be dumb than dead.

Eating a diet high in carbohydrates helps to give your body a constant source of quick energy. So the more carbohydrates that you eat the better, right?

Wrong!

Carbohydrates need to be broken down into glucose (the basic unit of energy that all sugars can be broken down to) before they can used by the body. However your body, quite rightly, thinks that glucose is really valuable and if you’ve eaten more glucose than you need, then your body’s pancreas (located just below the stomach) produces Insulin to convert the glucose to glycogen.

Basically, just like vitamin C, the body cannot store glucose. However, if it changes the structure of glucose to glycogen (by using Insulin), well, then it can store glycogen and convert it back to glucose when energy is needed; without having to breakdown any fat or protein.

If you eat too much carbohydrate, that you can't immediately use (because you are being inactive), then your pancreas has to produce lots and lots of Insulin.
If it has to do this at every mealtime, over a number of years then there comes a point where the pancreas can’t be bothered to produce adequate amounts of Insulin as it feels it is always working to maximum capacity and the levels of glucose never seem to go down.
This results in elevated blood glucose levels and diabetes...

Now, getting back to Asians and diabetes...
Well, the interesting thing here is that there are 2 types of diabetes.
Type 1 - Where you usually have it from birth and you have to inject yourself with insulin, because the pancreas doesn’t produce enough Insulin.
Type 2 -Where you get it later in life, but it can be controlled via taking tablets. This is where the pancreas stops responding to glucose levels in the body.

Awww, no......This is getting long, so I’ll keep this really short...

It is type 2 diabetes (more commonly known as 'Sugar' amongst the majority of the elders) a regime of drugs, normally in the form of Metformin tablets, is taken. The diet has to be watched and exercise should be taken regulary.
Type 2 diabetes is reversible and if people take the right steps, their poor pancreas can recover and become more responsive, and they can then stop taking the tablets.

[u]So my advice would be to cut down on the amount of 'Asian bread' you eat and do more exercise.[/u]

I'd welcome the opinions of biologist, medics, and anyone else who’d like to comment on (lambast) my theory.

Or if you have any questions I'll answer them whenever I log on (most probably late in the evening on odd nights [size=7]or whenever I'm bored[/size]).

Docendo Discimus

even with chappatis or whatever anyone calls it it depends on the type of flour.

brown flour is better for you than white flour.

Salaam Admin,

Wholemeal flour is better than brown flour and
brown flour is better than white flour.

For the following reasons:
-The darker flours contain more fibre and so are better for your digestive system.
-The darker flours contain more complex carbohydrates and so take longer to digest and do not overload your pancreas, as much.

However, if you eat too much of any type of flour, it is bad for you.

Please let me know if you any other questions.

Docendo Discimus

"Admin" wrote:
Ok just an update on the food situation.

I was here at about 9... and realised I needed to make the jalfrezi!

legged it to kitchen, cut the boneless chicken I had brought earlier, sliced some tomatoes.

I oiled a pan, and put the sliced tomatoes in. cook into a paste. Then I added the chicken. and a bit of water. a bit turned into a lot.

I stood mixing it whilst cooking. then time for salt. How much? I aint got no idea. rang someone, and got the reply the normal ammount you use. a great help. thanks. after a few more question was told try half a tea spoon.

put that in kept mixing.

I also needed to amke dough for chappati, so i thought this was a good time. I made it too watery. added some flour. not watery enough. a bit more water, and too watery.

as i was doing this the chicken was nearly cooked! I needed to add the chilli and the spices. I lobbed them. abit too late. Added a bit more water. that dried quickly. Then remembers its jalfrezi i need eggs! lobbed some eggs in. Now the chocken had been cooking so long it was starting to break. quickly mixed everything again, threw in some corriander, and it was ready.

Now for the chappatti.

Did I mention the dough was a little watery?

I broke some dough away from the lot I had mixed, added a bit of flour on the outside, so that it would not stick on my hand. Made the chappatti shape. picked it up to place on the 'tawwa'. it broke apart.It was too watery. I added a bit more flour, remade it and finally placed it on the tawwa. cooked it. Nice triangle shape. a bit small.

for the second one I did th same thing again (including the too watery bit). Apart from i misse the tawwa landing. great make it again. This was more rounder.

instead iof the 30 mins its supposed to take, including cutting it took 1.5 hours in total. and the chilli's were slightly raw. And i put a bit too amny chillies in. And I made too much chicken.

I can handle chillies though, so I call this a success.

lol.......... found that very humerous....

terrible, and i thought men were useless.

The Dark Paladin ; mashallah very intelligent.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Drink plenty water, eat fruit and veg, get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night and keep away from stress.

And exercise and/or keeping your self active is a must.

I agree with all of the above......... but you forgot to mention drink plenty of tea- I’m on my 7th cup- and the night is still young. Wink

Aycarumba 7 cups?

That's a hefty amount of caffeine

"Augustus" wrote:
Aycarumba 7 cups?

That's a hefty amount of caffeine

Without going into the science of tea, I couldn’t tell you from top of my head how much caffeine is in my tea, but tea and Green tea do have allot of health benefits.

Isn't is Milk carumba?

I dunno might be - I usually say "leche"

Not precisely sure what Aycarumba means... I know it's used as an expression of amazement though

"Augustus" wrote:
I dunno might be - I usually say "leche"

Not precisely sure what Aycarumba means... I know it's used as an expression of amazement though

Hold on to that phrase on your side of the Atlantic Lol

lol very good then.

Brought up an interesting addition though! Milk!

It's very good for you and is in a variety of products I enjoy:

Cheese, Cheesecake, Icing, Butter, various kinds of sour cream and dip.

"(*_Shazan" wrote:

:?: :?

Who is the cat of the Forum? MEZ!
Your damn right!

"Augustus" wrote:
lol very good then.

Did somebody say Milk!!
I love Milk! Blum 3

Your damn right!

"Mez" wrote:
"Augustus" wrote:
lol very good then.

Did somebody say Milk!!
I love Milk! Blum 3

lol do you take it out of a saucer?

:oops:

Not really of course!!

Your damn right!

"Mez" wrote:
"(*_Shazan" wrote:

:?: :?

Whats with the confusion young Mez?

I'm avid milk drinker but only when it's fused with tea

"Augustus" wrote:
lol very good then.

Did I tell you I used to work for Arla food's (the same Arla that’s losing 1million per day in the Gulf states due to the boycott) And to add insult to injury they have to pay me out for my compensation Lol

Pages