Documentaries...

82 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Augustus" wrote:
Has anybody seen the documentary "The Last White Kids"

It's British - and I just caught it the other day

I found a review of this documentary in old issue of Q News. [size=7]Sorry for the long post. [/size]

[b]THE LAST WHITE KIDS[/b]

There was a time, not so long ago, when there wasn’t much on TV worth watching. Occasionally, pure gems such as The Last White Kids, has me whooping with pure joy. Right away, the reporter announced, “No school in the city would allow filming”. Clearly, racial tensions were bubbling away just below the surface. But there is a long history of distrust in the media or anyone coming to Bradford for a ‘good story’. We know how we might be perceived or misrepresented ultimately lies in the editing room, guided by the producer’s brief. From the Honeyford and the Rushdie affair to the more recent riots and dramatised fiction highlighting the problems of drugs, prostitution and the underclasses, Bradford sends out a bleak picture. Real voices are rarely heard.

Sharon Gallagher and her three children, Ashlenne, Jake and Aimee - 13, 11 and 10 years old respectively, live in Manningham and feel they are part of their community. Sharon is relieved at the long-awaited stability that their home provides. Manningham is predominantly Asian and would seem exclusively so, even to many Bradfordians. The Gallaghers are the only white family living in the area but having moved in eighteen months ago they are not quite the “Last White Kids”. The title, however, caught the imagination of the entire the nation.

Suzie, Sharon’s sister makes disheartening attempts to move out of the area. “I’m not racist but I like half and half,” she says. Her own prejudices perpetuate the misery which she believes she is in. She is right to want a balanced community. And as it is with most people, there is a need to be near like-minded people.

We see the struggles, disappointments and frustrations of the Gallagher family. But ultimately we see a mother who really cares and three very intelligent children who have responded to their environment in a unique way. In one scene, Sharon is cradling a Pakistani baby and cannot pronounce his name. Her daughters attempt to correct her. “I’ll never get the hang of them names. But oooh he’s gorgeous in’t he. I could just keep him.”

Now here’s the surprise. Having lived amongst Muslims, Ashlenne and Amie have an impressive understanding and a surprising empathy for Islam. They regularly attend their local mosque, learned to pray and read Quranic Arabic. Their mother accepted this but felt uncomfortable with the girls praying at home. She withdrew them on finding that the mosque had given the girls Muslim names. “That were going too deep”, she said. Her distrust is evident in her facial expression and body language. The Islam there may seem very exclusive but in reality embraces the girls’ enthusiasm. Those who feel excluded naturally react with rejection as have the Muslim community years before them. The tables have turned for these people.

In the course of the programme we see Sharon organising a return for the girls to the mosque. At the same time, at his insistence, she lets her son travel to an out of area school where there are far fewer Asians. Her decision proves sound. He becomes more enthusiastic about learning. There is a poignant scene between mother and daughter when Aimee is ready to go to the mosque in her black burka and her mother affectionately ties back the ends of her scarf saying, “Now that looks pretty.” We then see Aimee playfully attacking her mother pretending she is a ninja. You can’t help but warm to the family.

Ashlenne, Jake and Amie are comfortably bi-cultural in a way I never thought was possible for the indigenous white. The girls feel that they are “half Pakistani and half English” but Jake tolerates and resists. He wants to stay as he is born - English. He could never be a Muslim as they “seem to go the Mosque a hundred times a day, read backwards” (the Arabic script is read from right to left and Jake has enough trouble reading English) and he would miss The Simpsons. He can however, give a pretty impressive rendition of the adhaan (call to prayer) which the muezzin calls from the local mosque. We see the girls dancing to Asian-Fusion music in their bedroom where there is also a Gareth Gates poster and the usual paraphernalia of teenagers regardless of race. Then we see the boys playing derogatorily with a headscarf and saying that they feel like battering all Asians. They have defensively created identities apart from the Muslims. We are introduced to their concept that you’re either a Porky or a Paki. No racial background information required.

So why the difference between Sharon’s male and female children? We see another tender scene, this time between brother and sister. While chatting to the reporter, Aimee is leaning in front of and into her brother when Jake wants to ask Aimee a question. He wonders whether she would have still been inclined towards Islam and so comfortable within the community had the Muslim girls been like the Muslim boys. How insightful and precise! There is a vicious circle of racism and rejection going on and the boys on both sides are bearing the brunt of it.

Bradford has a long history of immigration. Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Indians from India and East African countries started arriving in large numbers from the former colonies from the early 1950’s; Poles, Ukrainians and Italians came in the 1940’s; the Irish and Germans came before the Second World War and more recently immigrants from over 60 countries are seeking refuge in this, now, post-industrial ‘multicultural’ city. Asians filled the need for intensive, cheap and relatively lowskilled
labour which would maximise profit for the textiles and manufacturing industries. The men worked long, hard and unsociable hours gratefully, fulfiling the immigrant dream to make good money and eventually return to their families.

It was the Indian Hindus and Sikhs who changed their earlier intentions and sent for their families in the mid ‘60s, and by the mid ‘70s most of them were living as complete family units. Their decision to do so can partly be explained in terms of their better standard of general education and fluency in English, their intention that their children receive western education, gradually diminishing chances to gain good jobs on their return home, and a taste for western lifestyle and comforts.

However, Pakistani and Bangladeshi immigrants, predominantly Muslim, delayed their decision to bring over their dependents because of their relatively lower standard of education, stronger commitments to their joint families at home and perhaps, stronger resistance against the exposure of their women and children to more liberal western value systems. The introduction of tighter immigration laws in the 1960’s eroded some of the rights of the dependents of migrants to enter Britain. This brought forward their plans to bring their families over. Their settlement was concentrated heavily in very small inner-city areas, home to the migrants before them and the host community originally. They preferred cheap housing accommodation near their workplaces and added to this was their wish to preserve their cultural identity which was more likely in numbers.

As the textiles and manufacturing industries in the city declined, middle-aged workers were squeezed out, but having accumulated some capital, became self-employed mainly in retailing, off-licence shops, taxis and restaurants and newspaper agencies. A substantial number without the skills and opportunities joined the long-term unemployed in the city. The younger and better-qualified sought employment in the expanding service industries in the private sector, local authority services and through further study joined the professions. The economic success of these Asians has been quite remarkable in comparison with their host community, probably due to the strong sense of familial obligations and that strength of will to succeed which had originally spurred them to make the huge impetus of migration. With success came the opportunity to move into better residential areas which were still mainly white.

Concentration of Asian communities in inner-city enclaves has had both positive and negative consequences. The social infrastructure in the form of food stores, personal and financial services, places of worship and social centres has developed providing a system that supports and meets their specific needs on the one hand, but also perpetuates ghettoisation and concentration. A further consequence is that once settled in declining, areas of the city with limited access to better residential accommodation, their deprivation and disadvantage is perpetuated.

Among the external constraints on the housing choice were white prejudice and discrimination, and the discriminatory practices of the money-lending agencies. The indigenous white population had access to living accommodation in better residential areas. As white flight took place, they were reluctant to share their new neighbourhoods with Asians.

There then exists a vicious circle of general deprivation. Those remaining in the inner-city areas display more signs of suffering from high unemployment, under-achievement in education, and a high level of dependence on state benefits. The concentration of Asian communities in inner-city areas had for a long time denied them access to good education under the local policy of catchment areas for secondary school admissions; and poor housing results in poor health.

This pattern of settlement is well known to be not conducive to the development of a harmonious multicultural, multiracial and multilingual society. Heavy clustering reduces the interaction and communication vitally needed for change, and reinforces the lack of understanding that exists outside their communities, of the social and economic deprivation which Asians have suffered.

For many years Asians were perceived as ‘the inward looking, conservative, self-contained and low profile communities’. How this has changed. The rise in unemployment along with exclusion brought this home more firmly. Asians not only articulated their problems more loudly and effectively, but have demonstrated their determination to fight against discrimination and their demands to be met.

This account of the settlement of Asians is not unique to Bradford but does go some way to explain the characteristics of such inner-city areas and the dynamics in play today.

What continues to remain most urgent is the Islam we practice and portray. Our communities are filled with disaffected male youth, young girls using hijab as a fashion statement and the oppression of dogmatic interpretations. The fears of the white working-class will have been confirmed by this documentary. Will there ever be a positive outcome? Unless we tackle our own problems we can only expect increasingly difficult times and more hostility from those ‘on the outside’.

The documentary gives us an insight into an underclass of British society, which for many remains unknown. It highlights the complexities of urban life and the problems of identity which exist. It points out to us the issues that are most pressing for a group of people and an articulation, struggling unsuccessfully to surface, sometimes destructively. This was a unique story, beautifully told, that surprised and informed as well as entertained. “The Last White Kids” was shown on Channel 4 on Thursday, 30th October 2003
RADHIA TARAFDER

[url= News Nov 2003[/url] (pdf)

I gather from the review the author approved.

I was concerned by two things in particular. The antagonism the "porkies" recieved at school and at home was first and foremost. The second was the absolute intrusiveness of the mosque, community and the Imam in interrupting the affairs of that family. The girls sought an interest in Islam to fit in at school, nothing more. A ten year old simply isn't capable of understanding issues of faith that complexed. The mosque had to have known that, yet it continued to push culminating in the girls conversion and ultimately the incredibly insulting presumption of the Imam to actually rename one of them.

"Augustus" wrote:

I was concerned by two things in particular. The antagonism the "porkies" recieved at school and at home was first and foremost. The second was the absolute intrusiveness of the mosque, community and the Imam in interrupting the affairs of that family. The girls sought an interest in Islam to fit in at school, nothing more. A ten year old simply isn't capable of understanding issues of faith that complexed. The mosque had to have known that, yet it continued to push culminating in the girls conversion and ultimately the incredibly insulting presumption of the Imam to actually rename one of them.

HUH?

From what I understood the girls came to the mosque of their own accord, the Imam made some contact with the mother, she was happy for them to go.

The imam, the masjid and the community were not forcing any1. Maybe it is hard for some people to accept that children can find islaam interesting and enjoy going to a mosque when all their schoolmates also go.

"Adil" wrote:
"Augustus" wrote:

HUH?

From what I understood the girls came to the mosque of their own accord, the Imam made some contact with the mother, she was happy for them to go.

The imam, the masjid and the community were not forcing any1. Maybe it is hard for some people to accept that children can find islaam interesting and enjoy going to a mosque when all their schoolmates also go.

I'm going to assume you saw the documentary and are therefore not challenging my first hand account with second hand information.

The girls were not "drawn" to islam, but rather felt social pressures to be like everyone else. The comment when the girl was wrapping herself up in a burqa and noted that no one could tell she was white. For learning arabic and Islamic sayings the children were rewarded with food and attention from the community they were obviously shut outside from. Meanwhile the boy was picked on quite mercilessly at school to the point he compared it to Harlem.

While the mother did allow the girls to go to the mosque (quite hesitantly) to learn arabic, the Imam took that as a license to convert her children which the mother was obviously uncomfortable with and then rename her ten year old.

The mother upon learning this had enough and pulled the children out.

Only when it was clear that her girls were not altering course did she change her mind.

From the beginning this family was under assault to assimilate. I find it particularly disquieting that the Imam, mosque and community went so far as to target her children.

There are boundaries - which were crossed.

Does Islam recognize these boundaries or not?

IMO bringing people to Islaam is a virtuous act. We will disagree.

"Adil" wrote:
IMO bringing people to Islaam is a virtuous act. We will disagree.

In my opinion invading a persons home changing their children and using bullying social pressures to cement it is unconscionable.

If that those were my kids the Imam would be dead for taking that kind of license.

"Augustus" wrote:
From the beginning this family was under assault to assimilate. I find it particularly disquieting that the Imam, mosque and community went so far as to target her children.

For heavens sake Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[b]Does Islam recognize these boundaries or not?[/b]

Of course Islam respects and recognises these boundries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hasn't your time on this board taught u anything?????????????????/

I feel insulted that you whitewash the whole faith by one documentary that you happended to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I thought u were better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

"Seek and you shall find."

"Augustus" wrote:

In my opinion invading a persons home changing their children and using bullying social pressures to cement it is unconscionable.

If that those were my kids the Imam would be dead for taking that kind of license.

InshaALLAH one day bruv you YOURSELF will be inviting the Imaam into your house :!:

"Guest" wrote:
"Augustus" wrote:

For heavens sake Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[b]Does Islam recognize these boundaries or not?[/b]

Of course Islam respects and recognises these boundries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hasn't your time on this board taught u anything?????????????????/

I feel insulted that you whitewash the whole faith by one documentary that you happended to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I thought u were better than that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

lol guest - the answer was already given by Admin.

That was actually an invitation for Admin (or any other muslim) to reaffirm it for our new friend Adil.

Sorry if you interpreted a personal judgement on Islam when I have made none.

I'll be back in about an hour.

Hang on a second...

Guest you assume a level of familiarity which suggests you are less than 60 posts new.

Who are you?

yes who are you?

I found an interesting bit in that interview where Hamza Yusuf mentins that most converts (from any religion to any religion) are aged between 12 and 22.

I would have thought it would be older when people have matured...

Back to this topic, I have not seen the documentary, so my comments are not first hand evidence.

kids can be bullied by peer pressure.

Kids can occasionally have the maturity to make decisions that adults would be scared to make.

It all depends on what happened, how they were treated, how the family was treated and how old they were.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
Back to this topic, I have not seen the documentary, so my comments are not first hand evidence.

kids can be bullied by peer pressure.

Kids can occasionally have the maturity to make decisions that adults would be scared to make.

It all depends on what happened, how they were treated, how the family was treated and how old they were.

ditto.

(i havent watched it yet either, so go by wot dave has said, other ppls comments, and the review up there).

ofcourse Islam has boundaries Dave, and it is a religion that cannot be forced upon anyone.

but may i point out that "invading a persons home changing their children and using bullying social pressures to cement it" is exactly wot is happening to people of other faiths/cultures living in the West - parents are struggling to keep their children on what they (the parents) perceive to be the right path due to social pressure placed on the kids to conform...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

and have you seen the kiddy cartoons recently? :shock:

They involve dating and things!

and one teletubby is supposedly gay.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"*DUST*" wrote:
but may i point out that "invading a persons home changing their children and using bullying social pressures to cement it" is exactly wot is happening to people of other faiths/cultures living in the West - parents are struggling to keep their children on what they (the parents) perceive to be the right path due to social pressure placed on the kids to conform...

Good point - this would be the "assimilation" muslims are afraid of then?

I can see why, absolutely nobody has the right to do that.

"Augustus" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:

Good point - this would be the "assimilation" muslims are afraid of then?

I can see why, absolutely nobody has the right to do that.

yea... not just muslims, generally ppl of other cultures and faiths which happen to differ from the Western culture in such matters.

the telly is bad enuf, but even at school kids are being bombarded with stuff their parents would see as wrong... and the poor kids are stuck in the middle, on the one hand there's pleading parents, on the other peer pressure - we all know which they'd rather go for...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

[b] Muhammed saw Legacy of a prophet, PBS Productions[/b]

[b]
Islam Empire of faith part 1[/b]

[b]Islam Empire of faith part 2[/b]

[b]Islam Empire of faith part 3[/b]

Two basic documentaries, love the first one, give a real insight into how we really should lead our lives in relation to the teaching of the Prophet (saw).

Second one gives a brief inside into islam and its history.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

cheers yuit..

have seen the first one and can say its very good.

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

I've seen empire of faith before - that is very interesting.

I think PBS did that didn't they?

Jus watched the 30 days as muslim now finally!

nust say, mostly a reeally good show

anywhere i can watch any of the other 30 day shows?

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Pages