Documentaries...

Hey guys,

just came across a really cool documentary which i thought i'd share with u, but creating a whole thread just for the one docu didnt make much sense so u can use this thread to tell everyone about any documentary (available online!) that u come across.

in this one, Morgan Spurlock, the guy who did 'Supersize Me', makes a devout Christian live with a Muslim family and practice Islam for 30 Days...

I been trying to catch this docmentary for a little while, so cheers for that Aasiyah.

What the chance that was our Dave from the Forum? was they not from the same town. Smile But i thought that he was a reasonably cool bloke, personally if the role was reverse i don't think i would have been able to do what he done in a christian family, he showed quite abit of tolerance IMO. Abit surprise that it took someone 13 days to give him the meaning and explantion for the salah. But I think you can learn alot about what type of Dawah is effective by watching the show.

Anyway keep the links coming for more documentaries.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

yup I also cauht that charleston bit...

still watching.. (listening)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

This guy is from Charleston, West Virginia. Dave is from Charleston, South Carolina. Keep up.

Oh been looking for this for ages. I LOVE YOU DUST.

ok, time to calm down :oops:

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

I'm watching it too

a bit in the doc remined me of dad

when he was asked to remove his shoes on the way to US he kicked up a MASSIVE fuss and delayed the flight

never expect a proud man to bend

no prob yuit.

"Beast" wrote:
This guy is from Charleston, West Virginia. Dave is from Charleston, South Carolina. Keep up.
lol, was about to point that out, but u got there b4 me.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
I'm watching it too

a bit in the doc remined me of dad

when he was asked to remove his shoes on the way to US he kicked up a MASSIVE fuss and delayed the flight

never expect a proud man to bend

yea last time i went to the US with my mom we were made to take our shoes off as well... :roll:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

does anyone know if that Channel 4 'Gay Muslims' documentary is available on the net??

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

I got a question.

In the "30 days as a muslim" documentary, when the guy goes to jummah n goes to pray in mosques, they dunt put there hands together, and are all reading everything out aloud.

It is a form of praying which i have rarely come across. Is it the shia form of praying?

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

"razor" wrote:
I got a question.

In the "30 days as a muslim" documentary, when the guy goes to jummah n goes to pray in mosques, they dunt put there hands together, and are all reading everything out aloud.

It is a form of praying which i have rarely come across. Is it the shia form of praying?

his first 'spiritual advisor' or whatever, 'Imam Husseini' was a Shi'a. so the first Jumu'ah he went to where he told the imam he wasnt comfortable with praying, was in a Shi'a mosque.
but all the other muslims he associates with, his hosts, arabic teacher, etc. are all Sunni. so the Jumu'ah in which he participates at the end would have been in a Sunni mosque.
i thought it was silly that he had to actually pray Salaah, felt sorry for him, but moreso from an Islamic point of view, that was so wrong - he ended up doing it with a cross in his hand... :?

"*DUST*" wrote:
does anyone know if that Channel 4 'Gay Muslims' documentary is available on the net??

:?: Sad

"*DUST*" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:

:?: Sad

Thought i'l quickly pop on.... AHHHH sorry dont know man...

lemme make you feel better it wasnt al dat Wink

no idea. Had a quick google...

They normally do put stuff up on their site... but I cannot seem to find anything.

(Dust shall I add the 30 days docu to our multimedia page?)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
no idea. Had a quick google...

They normally do put stuff up on their site... but I cannot seem to find anything.

yea go ahead, y not! Smile

and i had a look on google too but no joy.

naj, i would not watch it out of choice, but i have to as i am looking into the topic for an assignment... Wink

"Admin" wrote:

Can i just say... i kinda watched that clip on the link aasiyah gave. Is very intresting, that would be a good idea to put it somewhere.

By the way had not heard of the programme before. Are they showing it on what channel? if.

"*DUST*" wrote:
naj, i would not watch it out of choice, but i have to as i am looking into the topic for an assignment... Wink

Oh acha... well i shall try looking for it. Upon knowing i shall notify you.

Its american I think.

I have added it.

Just to those who want to add multimedia content: a word of caution:

Wordpress has a bug that you cannot embedd content with the normal editor. You have to disable the rich text editor before you can embed media, or make changes to items which have embedded media. So be careful.

If you just add a link, the normal rich text editor will work.

It was aired on More4 a while back...

Erm I’m a little confused but the first mosque he went into... it said something about Karbala... can someone explain how it fits into Islam... I always thought it was a branch from Judaism...

I may have that wrong and it may be to do with Karbala and Hussain... I'm thinking its a Shia mosque?

"Tara" wrote:

Erm I’m a little confused but the first mosque he went into... it said something about Karbala... can someone explain how it fits into Islam... I always thought it was a branch from Judaism...

I may have that wrong and it may be to do with Karbala and Hussain... I'm thinking its a Shia mosque?

ur thinking of Kabbalah, its a mystical branch of Judaism, sounds like wot Sufiism is to Islam? 100man may be able to shed more light on it if ur interested.

but ur second guess was right - it was a shi'a mosque, named after the shi'a holy site of Karbala.

"Tara" wrote:

Karbala or Kabbalah?

Karbala was a place, and the events of Karbala (sometimes just called 'Karbala') are important.

Kabbaalah, Is supposedly a branch of Juddaism but some say it was incorporated into Juddaism wrongly by some hebrews in The time of Mosses AS.

BTW my definitions aren't definative, use Shaykh Google to help you..maybe. Biggrin

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

So they're two completely separate things... i had a hunch :oops: Thank you Dawud.

"Beast" wrote:

Yall confused the 300 year old Colonial Capital Charleston with the 200 year old hill billy meeca Charleston!?

This is a dark day...

lol not to mention guys i'm not over 30, not married (yet), don't have kids (yet), am not Catholic - and the accent is aaaaaaaall wrong.

Charleston Accent = Stephen Colbert
West Virginian Accent = Senator Byrd/Dave from the Documentary

Speaking of which - thanks for that Dust, i've been meaning to watch that episode for the longest time since it made some real waves when it first came out, I loved the joke at the end abuot the cake "let's agree to disagree" - anybody catch that? The father said cut the "to disagree" piece out first.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Speaking of which - thanks for that Dust, i've been meaning to watch that episode for the longest time since it made some real waves when it first came out, I loved the joke at the end abuot the cake "let's agree to disagree" - anybody catch that? The father said cut the "to disagree" piece out first.

hey no prob, and yea lol that part was cool. but what father? i thought it was his arabic teacher who said that?

Yea you're right it's his arabic teacher - I couldn't really see who all was at the party so I assumed it was his muslim host's extended family and all the people who he worked with.

That had to have been difficult for him - trying to experience life as a muslim without betraying Christianity in the process. He was clever though - I see he prayed with his confirmation cross.

Has anybody seen the documentary "The Last White Kids"

It's British - and I just caught it the other day

"*DUST*" wrote:
ur thinking of Kabbalah, its a mystical branch of Judaism, sounds like wot Sufiism is to Islam? 100man may be able to shed more light on it if ur interested.

but ur second guess was right - it was a shi'a mosque, named after the shi'a holy site of Karbala.

Kabbalah is nothing like sufism. Sufism is just about spirituality whereas Kabbalah is sort of metaphysical science by which rabbis understand God. It's sort of more magical.

Is it the one thats like 2 years old or sumthing....dave

"naj" wrote:

Yea I think it was older, it's about a white family in a prodominantly asian British city.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

Yea I think it was older, it's about a white family in a prodominantly asian British city.

Yea i kinda remember seeing that

Bradford City..... Manningham area, my sis lives close by...

Cant remember much but sumfin about some white family living/ only 1s in packed asian community.. :?

lol yes something like that. I suppose you don't remember enough to tell me what you thought of it?

lol your right .....

Cant remember much at al........baaad memory

where did you come across it ? you seen it where?

Naturally, it is two years old.

It was on public access for my school recently, put on by one of the clubs.

Pages