Much emphasis has been given on the importance of fasting on the day of ‘Arafah, but don’t forget, this was a day the Prophet Muhammad (upon him be peace) “made du’a from the time of Dhur til the time of Maghrib on the day of ‘Arafah while STANDING.” (Sahih Muslim)
He also said, “The best du’a is that which is made on the day of ‘Arafah.” (Sahih Muslim)
If we can develop the capacity to binge watch on Netflix 5-6 for hours a day, we can develop the capacity to make du’a longer than 30 SECONDS on the day of ‘Arafah.
I used to be a person who couldn’t make du’a longer than 2 minutes.3 things changed
1. I started writing my personalized du’as on a mini-notebook
2. I started reading du’as using Hisnul Muslim (The Fortress of the Muslim)
3. I started following the etiquettes of making du’a.
As an Imam, I have numerous meetings with members of my community. Sometimes, at the end of my meetings, I asked the community member to end our meeting with a du’a. It is surprising that many of them do not know the etiquettes of making du’a. By following the above etiquettes of making du’a, you can make du’a longer than 2 minutes inshAllah!Here are 16 etiquettes of making du’a from the Qur’an and Sunnah
1) Have 100% conviction that Allah will answer you
2) Find a way to praise Allah before making your request
3) Use the proper names of Allah
4) Send salutations upon Muhammad (upon him be peace)
5) Raise your hand like a beggar
6) Face the qibla
7) Be in a state of wudu
9) Be a lone wolf (Be alone)
10) Ensuring that your food is pure
11) Acknowledge your sins (Privately)
12) Repeat the du’a 3 times
13) Start the du’a by praying for yourself
14) Expand your heart, pray for everyone (in particular those Muslims in China who wish they could fast on the day of ‘Arafah, but they are prohibited from doing so.)
15) Say Amin after making du’a.
16) Make du’a during the “prime-times” (From Dhur till Maghrib on the day of Arafah is primetime!)
Bonus tip: If you’re like me, you may get stuck when making du’a. An excellent tip given by our master Muhammad (upon him be peace) is to use the “filler du’a”. This “filler du’a” was actually what Muhammad (upon him be peace) and all of the Prophets made on the day of Arafat!
He said, “The best invocation is that of the Day of Arafat, and the best that anyone can say is what I and the Prophets before me have said:
Lā ‘ilāha ‘illallāhu
wahdahu lā shareeka lahu,
lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu
wa Huwa ‘alā kulli shay’in qadeer.
None has the right to be worshipped but Allah
Alone, Who has no partner.
His is the dominion and His is the praise,
and He is Able to do all things. (Al-Tirmidhi)To recap, here are 5 action items you and your family can perform on the day of Arafah.
1. Go over the following hadith with your family members.
“Allah frees far more people from Hellfire on the Day of Arafah than on any other day, and Allah comes closer this day and proudly says to the angels, ‘What do these people want and seek?’” (Sunan an-Nasa’i)
2. Say to your family members or whoever you have influence over,
“The Prophet made du’a on the day of Arafah from Dhur till Maghreb. How long do you think we can make du’a for on this day?”
3. Go over the 16 etiquettes mentioned in this post.
4. Challenge your family members to make a 10 minute du’a.
- A Creative mind
- Brainstorm with your family members what du’a you want to make and then write them on a whiteboard.
5. Whenever you get stuck and you can’t don’t know what du’a you want to make, make the “filler du’a” the Prophet (upon him be peace) made on the day of ‘Arafah.
The post Help! I Can’t Make Dua For More Than 30 Seconds On The Day Of ‘Arafah appeared first on MuslimMatters.org.