Pilgrims killed in Hajj stampede

86 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Beast" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

What caused the decline of the Turks anyway (I get the feeling this is your domain)

Can never remember too much from the top of my head, but:

From about the 16 century its administrative structure broke down. Maybe due to too many military comittments. Local 'rulers' emerged who were little more than bandits. It lost out on contact with the New World. Had no Industrial Revolution, lost out to those that did. Added to this was the development of nationalism (have to submit bad essay on nationalism tomorrow). Russia kept going to war against it. Europe kept carving it up. Fatally it chose the wrong side in WW1.

Since the 16th century!? Yikes...

But wasn't the 15th century sort of the glory years of Istanbul - or had they essentially become decadent Romans, beautifying their cities and baths while ignoring the management of their empire?

It seems like the real golden age for the Turks was before they took Constantinople - 14th century especially, perhaps the taking of Const. was the crescendo.

Too bad... it would have been interesting to see what one of the great classical empires would have looked like in the modern world.

I suppose that sort of imperialism simply couldn't adapt.

I had though it started its 'decline' from late 17 century.

But some English official who went there in the 16c spoke of it as being a mess. :?

Yikes... the sickman was sick for quite a while

"Andoverpolo" wrote:

But, interestingly, just before WW1 it picked up. It could have remained viable if it didn't enter the war.

"Beast" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

But, interestingly, just before WW1 it picked up. It could have remained viable if it didn't enter the war.

The Empire or the country?

lol because doesn't Britain still pretend she's an "Empire"

Islam got destryed because of all the muslims were not united, the ottoman turks who ruled the islamic empire did not treat the arabs eqaully and in turn arabs were agaisnt the turks, this was exploited and the arabs helped fight agaisnt the turks

overall the blame for the demise of the islamic empire may lay on turkey for it role in poor leadership but i think it was because of weak faith and lack of unity

after ww1, islamic empire was made into british mandates and britain created borders of most the arab countries today e,g. iraq,quwait ect

Salaam

I'm so glad its forbidden to do Hajj without a Mahram. If I didnt have dad holding my hand very tightly I would have been seriously hurt when I did hajj last year.

No woman can go there without a man.

I rate the saudi government...I KNOW its not easy to cater for millions. Overall they DO take care of the Hajji's every step of the way.

There was always someone you could go to if you were lost...there was always someone giving out food or water...there was always a doctor/ambulance near by.

But of course, there's room for improvement.

Lots of deaths take place in Mina...one reason is cos people go in AND out to stone the "devils" from the same direction.

The attitude that "at least they'll get into heaven" is not good enough. This is not an excuse to not take more precautions next time...nor does it console the family of the deceased.

Also..in such a crowd people should do Sabr and be considerate to others too. If you lose your shoe, bag or whatever....never stop in the crowd or try to retrive it..its not worth the danger to yourself and others it causes.

Wasalaam

Nearly 3 million performed Hajj

JEDDAH, Arab News — Haj Minister Fouad Al-Farsy said that nearly three million Muslim faithful, including foreign pilgrims, Saudis and expatriate workers performed Haj this year.

He said the happiness of a successful completion of Haj this year was marred by Thursday’s stampede at Jamrat in Mina, adding that the accident was caused by those pilgrims who ignored instructions.

He said most pilgrims involved in the stampede were carrying large bags, obstructing movement of their fellow faithful. “We have advised pilgrims several times not to carry baggage while heading for Jamrat for the stoning ritual for the sake of their own safety.”

Al-Farsy called upon pilgrims to make use of the concessions given by Islam in performing rituals. “Our Prophet (peace be upon him) selected the easiest option whenever he had a choice,” he pointed out.

The minister was apparently referring to the insistence of many pilgrims to stone the Jamrat as soon after noon as possible on the 12th of Dul Hijjah (Jan. 12), putting the lives of themselves and others in trouble, ignoring the religious edicts issued by scholars that they could stone any time on that day to save lives.

[url= News[/url]

I am amazed by some peoples attitude to the Saudis.

ALLAH knows what their intentions are to help the pilgrims.

Their claim to legitimacy is deep, mainly to do with purifying the Holy Land from tombs and shrines. mashaALLAH.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Their claim to legitimacy is shallow.

Afterall they won power on the day of hajj after slaughtering 10,000 people.

And then they desecrated the graves of others. Its as if they knew better muslims of the 1300 previous years.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

[size=18]Letters in the Independent [/size]

Sir: The horrific deaths of people at the annual pilgrimage to Islam's holy places are truly tragic. Several score pilgrims died at the beginning of the Haj, while several hundred perished at the end. The Saudi government conveniently places the blame on pilgrims for both disasters.

However, during the past 15 years, hardly a year has gone by without some preventable loss of life. It is clear that an inept and corrupt Saudi ruling class should not be assigned the continued task of organising the biggest annual assembly of humanity, because they have repeatedly failed in this sacred duty.

The haramayn (Makkah and Madinah) are the collective patrimony of the worldwide Muslim community and not the exclusive fiefdom of a repressive monarchy. It is time to place Islam's holiest sites under proper international jurisdiction, so they can be run by efficient, elected and responsible administrators. The latest catastrophes make the internationalisation of the haramayn an imperative.

The creation of an independent state (comprising Makkah and Madinah) would bring about better management of the Haj and also consign the writ of extremist Wahhabi ideology to its origins in the primitive Arabian hinterland. The establishment of this new sovereign entity will be liberating for all Muslims.

DR T HARGEY

CHAIRMAN, MUSLIM EDUCATIONAL CENTRE, OXFORD

[url= Letters[/url]

Sir: The scenes at Jamart bridge during the Haj were dreadful and horrific, but it seems unfair to lay the blame on the Saudi authorities alone (letter, 14 January). I am an Iranian with no political affinity to the Saudis, but I have seen for myself the effort, time and expense that the authorities expend in preparation for the holy pilgrimage.

I am an engineer and was asked by the Saudis to examine the bridge for structural safety and to monitor it closely during the 2005 festival. I found nothing wrong with the structure except that it needed some minor repairs. Many measures had also been taken to make the movement of crowds safer, such as widening the bridge at bottlenecks and streamlining the area around the Jamarah stones. This was undertaken at great expense and with the help of international experts.

The problem is that up to four million people try to walk from above, below and around a 1km-long bridge that varies in width between 20m and 50m. At three locations, people stop to throw stones at a wall while there is still a mass of people behind them. These men, women and children have different cultures and attitudes. Some carry their baggage, some push buggies. Some are weak and slow and some are strong and fast. The strong push their way through the crowd with little regard for the weak, young and elderly.

The real tragedy is people's poor behaviour, lack of respect for one another and little common sense. I fail to see what difference it would make if there was an independent state looking after the holy cities, as suggested by Dr Hargey in his letter.

DR DAVOOD LIAGHAT

FELLOW OF THE INSTITUTION OF CIVIL ENGINEERS LONDON N14

[url= Letters[/url]

"Beast" wrote:
DR T HARGEY

:roll: :evil:

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Beast" wrote:
DR T HARGEY

:roll: :evil:

I see this is one of your favorite people

Who is this retard?

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Out of curiosity what's wrong with setting aside Mecca Medina and the Dome of the Rock as "holy lands" under the control of the entire muslim world - and setting up some sort of structure, doesn't have to be democratic, to govern it in the interests of all muslims. It could be an excellent step toward the unity you so desire.

nothing wrong with it but personally I think the saudis are doing a fantastic job.

And with regards to jerusalem, never should it be under international governance, the muslims should and will rule the city, inshaALLAH.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

lol Jerusalem will be destroyed (again).

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Out of curiosity what's wrong with setting aside Mecca Medina and the Dome of the Rock as "holy lands"

[url= Dome of the Rock[/url] and [url= Mosque[/url] are seperate - the latter is the third Islamic Holy site.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
Out of curiosity what's wrong with setting aside Mecca Medina and the Dome of the Rock as "holy lands"

[url= Dome of the Rock[/url] and [url= Mosque[/url] are seperate - the latter is the third Islamic Holy site.

Right forgot - Q on the Al Aqsa:

Muhammad supposedly went to "the furthest mosque" which muslims keep saying is the Al Aqsa mosque.

But it didn't exist until the ummayads put it there in 710.

Sooo... whats up with that

actually the silver domed masjid and the gold domed masjid are all within the holy haram.

That whole plane is holy land and is considered the Masjid al Aqsa. By us the silver domed masjid is masjid Umar.

The actual Masjid Al Aqsa is not a building, it is the holy land on which the silver domed and gold domed masjid buildings are present.

Hence when the reference to the Holy Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam travelling to the Farthest Mosque and leading the Prophets alayhim us salaam in salah, the meaning is to the LAND - masjid al aqsa.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
actually the silver domed masjid and the gold domed masjid are all within the holy haram.

That whole plane is holy land and is considered the Masjid al Aqsa. By us the silver domed masjid is masjid Umar.

The actual Masjid Al Aqsa is not a building, it is the holy land on which the silver domed and gold domed masjid buildings are present.

Hence when the reference to the Holy Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam travelling to the Farthest Mosque and leading the Prophets alayhim us salaam in salah, the meaning is to the LAND - masjid al aqsa.

I was under the impression you called the entire area Al-Haram al-Sharif, and that the Masjid al Aqsa referred only to the silver domed Mosque.

Also how, if Muhammad did not explicitly state it, would muslims know where this "Masjid Al Aqsa" is if it did not refer to a specific building?

yes its called haram shareef and masjid al aqsa.

In Madinah also they refer to the Prophet salallahu alayhi wa sallam's mosque as the haram shareef.

In Makkah also they refer to Masjid al Haraam are the haram shareef.

Answer to your qsn. I dont know.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

[size=18]Saudi seeks Fatwa on stoning devil[/size]

SAUDI authorities are looking for Fatwa from scholars around the world concerning working out a new method for the symbolic stoning of the devil.

In a bid to avoid any deadly stampedes in future, the latest of which claimed the lives of 363 people last week, the authorities also unveiled plans to replace the current Jamarat passage with a 10-level structure, to ensure the safety of pilgrims on this site where incidents over the years marred one of the five pillars of Islam.

According to Maj-Gen Eng. Mansour Al Turki, spokesman of the Saudi Ministry of Interior, the planned 10 levels would be built in the next 10 years. The first four will be completed within the next two years.

The Al Jamarat platform, where three pillars representing the devil are located, will be rebuilt with one underground level and four 100-metre wide ramps that can accommodate 250,000 pilgrims per hour, said Osama Al Bar, Head of Haj Research Centre. There will be 12 entrances and 12 exits.

Other improvements being made include multiple vehicle tunnels to facilitate traffic flow and a landing area for helicopters that might be required to rush in medical aid.

The minister thanked King Abdullah for sanctioning the SR4 billion project. The first phase of the project , which is a four-floor facility, will allow 500,000 pilgrims to perform the ritual in one hour.

This will accommodate three to five million pilgrims per year. This year around three million pilgrims performed haj.

The expansion project will help avoid the recurrence of stampedes that have resulted in several deaths in the past.

The project includes expansion of the area around Jamarat, automatic cleaning of the area and transportation of pilgrims from tents to the Jamarat and back by train. The new Jamarat, with four floors in addition to ground floor, will have electronic staircases, 12 entrances and 12 exits and will be linked with tents by hanging bridges.

The project also includes three tunnels. First-aid services would be available underground, which would be connected by tunnels. No vehicles would be allowed to enter the area around the Jamarat and would have to move through the tunnels. The Jamarat Bridge would have medical clinics and operation facilities to deal with emergency cases. It would also have an advanced air-conditioning system.

As for cleaning, all garbage and stones would be transferred automatically from the ground floor to the underground area. There would be a mechanised storage area and trucks would take the debris out of Mina.

The Al Jamarat site, located in a desert plain of Mina outside the holy city of Makkah, has seen deadly incidents in seven of the past 17 years.

[url= Times [/url]

My dad went this year and thankfully he's OK. No thanks to the money grabbing government :evil:

"Ramz" wrote:
My dad went this year and thankfully he's OK. No thanks to the money grabbing government :evil:

Thats very good... It must be so hard for people to lose family on the Hajj - it's the last thing you would ever expect.

What did he say about the Saudi organization of the pilgrimage?

Pages