Pilgrims killed in Hajj stampede

salaam

Pilgrims killed in Hajj stampede

Ambulances and emergency crew are at the scene
At least 50 Muslim pilgrims have been killed in a crush in the stone-throwing ritual during the Hajj pilgrimage in Mina, Saudi Arabia, officials say.

A BBC correspondent at the scene said he saw dozens of bodies lined up on the ground, covered in white sheets.

The ritual has been marred by deadly stampedes in the past.

After a deadly stampede in 2004, the authorities built barriers and deployed tens of thousands of stewards in a bid to improve safety during the ceremony.

Bridge surge

"There is an accident at the beginning of the bridge of Jamarat," Adel Zamzami, head of civil defence forces in western Saudi Arabia, told the AFP news agency.

"We have a number of casualties and injuries. The [exact] number is not known yet," he said.

An interior ministry spokesman, Maj Gen Mansour al-Turki, told the Associated Press news agency that the stampede happened after pieces of luggage spilled from moving buses in front of one of the entrances to the bridge, causing pilgrims to trip.

More than two million people were thought to be performing the rite, in which pilgrims hurl stones at pillars representing the spot where the devil appeared to Abraham.

In 2004, more than 200 pilgrims were trampled to death while performing the same ceremony.

wasalaam

May ALLAH accept these fortunate people and raise them up as His Beloved Guests.
ameen

May ALLAH Rabbul Izzat grant us all the Hajj and Umrah of Makkah Mukarramah, the Ziyarah of Madinah Munawwarah and the Ziyaarah of Bayt ul Maqdis.

ameen Ya Rabb e Muhammad salallahu alayhi wa sallam.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

so why does this happen year in, year out....

are ppl too careless, in a rush, push each other about? or is it organised badly?

it is reported that 345 have died so far...with hundreds injured....

May Allah grant the dead Paradise...

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
so why does this happen year in, year out....

are ppl too careless, in a rush, push each other about? or is it organised badly?

It happens because people do not respect the rules.

HAve you seen 20 pakistanis at a bus stop? is there ever a queue?

Its the same almost all over the muslim world.

Now crap 2,500,000 into one place, and all it takes is one person panicking and you have a whole lot dead.

If this was organised badly, I think thousands would be dead. Alot more died in the smaller shia gathering in baghdad a few months a go when there was a stampede...

I congratulate the authorities in trying to implement procedured to limit such things.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:

In 2004, more than 200 pilgrims were trampled to death while performing the same ceremony.

That year the deaths occurred cos it was badly organised.

There’re two ways to get to the “devils” in Mina. However, they blocked one entrance so that the Royal family was able to stone the “devils” without any inconvenience…..thus causing the death of 100’s of people in the process.

That was the scariest day of my life. I thought I lost dad.

However, the family of the deceased were “compensated” with a free hajj the following year.

I know the Hajji’s were destined to die that year (and this year) and they are all inshallah jannati people now…and I KNOW it cant be easy to cater for millions at hajj time…(if you trip up your done for).

But at the same time….I can’t help but be extremely critical of the way things are managed.

Many fatal incidences could have been avoided.

Congratulations to the authorities for the great service they have rendered to the Ummah.

These accidents I think to a certain extent are inevitable. No matter how good crowd control and organisation is there will always be a risk of such accidents occurring because so many people are present together at the same time.

The death of each person is predestined and it cannot be hastened nor delayed by even a second.

The deceased are fortunate indeed that they are destined for the earth of Makkah Mukarramah and will arise as the Guest of ALLAH Most High.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

I'm sure the police are doing the best they can to control the crowds. But I remember hearing a news report about this last year, Saudi officials were talking about redesigning the whole stoning area because crowd control wasn't working. So they admit there is a safety issue which could be improved upon.

Apparently work on new safety measures should now be complete by next years Haj. I doubt it will eradicate all dangers, but should reduce problems hopefully.

Sure death is predestined, and yes it is a blessing to die in such a sacred land, but can you imagine what it's like for those who have lost their loved ones in this stampede. They will be resigned to Allah's will and be content but they are full of grief right now, i doubt many of them will be thinking it's great my father died on pilgrimage.

no one denies that death is predestined

but that doesnt diminish the blame on the people who caused the death

Salam

They rushed to stone the devil and got stoned themselves.

I bet Satan was giggling.

Many pilgrims are complete idiots.

No doubt many hypocrites also attend the House of God every year.

It is they who cause so much problems for the rest of the people.

I suppose fasting during Ramadan taught them no patience.

Omrow

its not the fault of the pilgrims stupid :roll:

the just have to follow the crowd-literally

a hajji has no control over where he is pushed

I disagree. Patience is in your hands.

"Omrow" wrote:
I disagree. Patience is in your hands.

u have to go there to talk.

I aint done Hajj but heard bear stuff about the crowd-

but I done umrah in ramadan-

I remember tripping up in Medinah-loads of ladies fell on top of me

it wasnt their fault-it was cos of the people behind them

its the Saudi's fault for sqezing thousands of women in Masjid ul nabi for two hours whilst the men get to go in all day long :roll:

I have not been to Jupiter either. But I do know how a furbal would bounce there.

"Omrow" wrote:
I have not been to the Jupiter either. But I do know how a furbal would bounce there.

use ur brains dumbo.

u squeeze millions of people in a tight spot-OF COURSE they're gonna end up ACCIDENTLY UNINTENTIONALLY pushing one another

that dont mean that they aint doing Sabr

its only when they start swaering at one another that shows their lack of Sabr

Which is what you are doing now.

"Omrow" wrote:
Which is what you are doing now.

Yes. And what's ur point?

I aint in hajj right now am I? :roll:

Thursday, 12, January, 2006 (12, Dhul Hijjah, 1426)

Ring-Tone Rage at Haj
Arab News

MINA, 12 January 2006 — A pilgrim acted out the anger that many people have over the disrespectful use of overly loud and offensive mobile-phone ring tones, reported the Okaz daily. While many might simply stew quietly over the rudeness of a gadget freak and his obnoxious club music announcing a constant barrage of incoming calls, one Haj pilgrim took another to task for interrupting the spiritual experience. The owner of the mobile refused to change the tone or to reduce the volume. Security men had to intervene before the two men began brawling over the noisy gadget.

----

I agree. You won't be crushed by a mouse.

I heard the Saudis are replacing, or have replaced, the pillar you stone with a padded wall or something like that... are they allowed to do that?

Respect for the Holy Haram and the Holy Sites is paramount.

It is sinful for engage on the fone in a normal masjid, greater still is the sin to come to the Baytullah and Holy Lands and have fone conversations.

Music is haraam.

It is imperative to maintain the sanctity of the Symbols of Religion, disrespect causes calamities in this world and the next.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

The whole of hajj is not in a mosque...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Hence the reference to the Holy Sites.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
I heard the Saudis are replacing, or have replaced, the pillar you stone with a padded wall or something like that... are they allowed to do that?

Why not?

Its not the pillars that are important, but their significance.

As long as they are in the corretc places, its ok.

Afterall even the Ka'abah is semi-regularly rebuilt.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

Security men had to intervene before the two men began brawling over the noisy gadget.

its important not to lose ur temper in hajj

religious bullies shud get that thru their thick head before they start having kick offs with one another :roll:

"Admin" wrote:
"Andoverpolo" wrote:

Why not?

Its not the pillars that are important, but their significance.

As long as they are in the corretc places, its ok.

Afterall even the Ka'abah is semi-regularly rebuilt.

Thats interesting... I didn't know the Ka'abah is renovated.

I was talking to an individual not too long ago that was under the impression it's invincible.

lol.

Originally the Ka'bah was not rectangular.

If you look at the pictures, there is a curved wall on one side of the Ka'bah.

Orginally the Ka'bah was upto that wall.

Just before the time of the Prophet (saw), when the Quraysh of Makkah were rebuilding, they did not have enough 'halaal' money (they had types of money allowed... stolen, from alcohol etc was not allowed...), so they made it smaller. A wall was built at the original place.

That is how it has been ever since.

It has been rebuilt many many times.

"Andoverpolo" wrote:

yeh they already have - i think they made that change in time for the 2005 hajj. the [url= were changed into [url=.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

The Saudis are incompetent.

Thats why these events keep on happening.

These Saudis are fabulously wealthy but they still cannot deal with a large number of pilgrims despite plenty of notice.

They are not fit to control Mecca and Medina.

Pages