Can you strengthen your willpower?

45 posts / 0 new
Last post

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
Rawrs has already given her thoughts, read up!

I knew that before I wrote that because I can see lots of writing under her name.

Willpower = self control. Use your mind, give yourself reasons. If you need to/want to, you will.

What else is there to discuss?

s.b.f wrote:

What else is there to discuss?

I don't really know, I had never had come across anyone who thought willpower couldn't be strengthened so I was wondering if anyone else thought it too - but it seems it's just admin being admin Blum 3

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

s.b.f wrote:

I knew that before I wrote that because I can see lots of writing under her name.

Well why'd you say it then? Wink

s.b.f wrote:

Willpower = self control. Use your mind, give yourself reasons. If you need to/want to, you will.

And Exxxxactly.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

I think some1's willpower can go up & down during their life. But there are a lot of circumstances which can affect it. So maybe it could be argued that God alone affects our willpower.
But that approach would lead to saying that we are not responsible for our actions.... So maybe it's somewhere in between.

Or maybe there is no such thing as willpower. Maybe it just relates 2 ppl's changing priorities. Eg when some1 'tried 2 give up smoking', if they GENUINLY wanted to stop they would stop. If they were just trying to give up smoking because ppl told them too or even if they're worried about health issues, but didn't genuinely want to stop smoking, they probably wouldnt be able to.

But isn't (part of) Islam about controlling our actions & not giving into temptation or desire?

So basically I have no idea. Biggrin

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
I think some1's willpower can go up & down during their life. But there are a lot of circumstances which can affect it.
True, but I don't believe only God controls it; for the reason you mentioned.
Quote:

Or maybe there is no such thing as willpower. Maybe it just relates 2 ppl's changing priorities. Eg when some1 'tried 2 give up smoking', if they GENUINLY wanted to stop they would stop. If they were just trying to give up smoking because ppl told them too or even if they're worried about health issues, but didn't genuinely want to stop smoking, they probably wouldnt be able to.
I was thinking that.
Quote:

So basically I have no idea. Biggrin

lol thanks for the contribution anyway Biggrin

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

on the religious side

maybe patience has something to do with willpower?

does willpower exist? coz ive never read anything about it, religiously speaking, maybe "willpower" is a mixture of loads of different things. e.g: patience and sincerity and faith?

the last three mention i know exist. coz they've been mentionned in the Quran and Ahadith and there's way to strengthen them.

but willpower...what Is willpower. i think we need to establish that before we can figure if it can be strengthen/weakened and the how.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

either you r born with it or not. It depends on your motivation level in a given situation that will determine how much you use.

I think most people are born with it; they just don't realise it yet. I suppose what can help strengthen it is taking baby steps- not smoking/having coke for a few days, so long as you don;t think the baby steps are the end of the matter.

Next I think you need the right mindset: you need (as Lilly mentioned) faith, sincerity and calmness. There are ways to develop them by say doing Dhikr/meditation or by constantly reminding yourself of what you can do. And actually doing it and rewarding yourself (maybe with a big hug) for achieving your goal.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

lol at the thought of giving yourself a big hug Blum 3

I think most people are born with it; they just don't realise it yet. I suppose what can help strengthen it is taking baby steps- not smoking/having coke for a few days, so long as you don;t think the baby steps are the end of the matter.

Next I think you need the right mindset: you need (as Lilly mentioned) faith, sincerity and calmness. There are ways to develop them by say doing Dhikr/meditation or by constantly reminding yourself of what you can do. And actually doing it and rewarding yourself (maybe with a big hug) for achieving your goal.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

I am surprised to see just how many people are wrong in this topic.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I am surprised to see just how many people are wrong in this topic.

:shock: mean.

Why is this topic even of interest?

s.b.f wrote:
Why is this topic even of interest?

because people want to strengthen their willpower (whatver that is)

and because its a muslim site, we also want to fight ze sins.

Pages