Can you strengthen your willpower?

Yes
93% (27 votes)
No
7% (2 votes)
Total votes: 29

If one can weaken it then course they can strengthen it.

How can you weaken it? And how can you strengthen it?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

motivation and demotivation?

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

they are just words.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"can you strengthen your willpower"

only if you have the will to do so

(dont kill me, someone had to say it...)

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

So basically yes? Blum 3

How?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Well obviously Or no-one would ever overcome addictions.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
So basically yes? Blum 3

How?

wanting to?

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
Well obviously

That's what I thought. {waits for admin to argue the opposite}

Quote:
Or no-one would ever overcome addictions.
That would work without you strengthening it, no? Like at first you may not want to give up, but then you do and your willpower comes into action.

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

You just replace one addiction with a stronger one.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

Oh right yeah.

So you replace your smoking addiction with an addiction for not smoking :roll:

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
You wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

Oh right yeah.

this time. i gotta love it.

Lilly wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
You wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

Oh right yeah.

this time. i gotta love it.

Pardon?

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

Waiiit. I don't get it.
Whilst you're trying to get over smoking how are you replacing it with an addiction for NOT smoking? That's just trying not to smoke. :S
And your will power is what's fighting your nafs and your need to smoke.
So... before you didn't have a strong enough will power. But now...by fighting the addiction, your strengthening your will power. So when you're fighting it, thats not an addiction for NOT smoking, it's just...trying not to smoke.
If you've never smoked, and you won't ever, does that mean you have an addiction for NOT smoking, or just that you don't smoke because you can't be asked or blabla? :S
Omg, Ive confused myself again.

it's just that there's loads of way of looking at it.

dont worry too much..

Lilly wrote:
it's just that there's loads of way of looking at it.

dont worry too much..

please do explain (I dunno why I keep using that 'phrase')

HarajukuDoll wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:

Waiiit. I don't get it.
Whilst you're trying to get over smoking how are you replacing it with an addiction for NOT smoking? That's just trying not to smoke. :S
And your will power is what's fighting your nafs and your need to smoke.
So... before you didn't have a strong enough will power. But now...by fighting the addiction, your strengthening your will power. So when you're fighting it, thats not an addiction for NOT smoking, it's just...trying not to smoke.
If you've never smoked, and you won't ever, does that mean you have an addiction for NOT smoking, or just that you don't smoke because you can't be asked or blabla? :S
Omg, Ive confused myself again.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic because I dont think every addiction is just replaced by another addiction. The act of giving up an addiction is only giving up an addiction, its an omission, you're not nec getting addicted to someone else. Its like saying cigarette smokers all turn into junkies after or smth.

I would think that if a person just quits, that willpower already existed.

and/or new activities were chosen to cover for the times when a person would habitually smoke.

You wrote:

If it did, then giving up smoking would be easy and done ages ago. I.e you dont have enough strength to pick something up (same like not enough will power to give up smoking) but now that you gained enough strength (will power- exactly how to gain it? I don't know) you now can pick whatever up (and thus give up smoking).

You wrote:

and/or new activities were chosen to cover for the times when a person would habitually smoke.

Right so a smoker who'd been smoking for years who did want to quit but they were so addicted that every time they tried they eventually gave in when it got too difficult but then they realised that cos they had a young child or something they had to force themselves to quit one at a time but it was very hard for them.

OBVIOUSLY they had some sort of willpower and the Capacity to improve their willpower but they only got the means and motivation to STRENGTHEN it by the realisation that their kid might suffer for it.

Just because they did it FOR a child, they're not REPLACING cigarettes with a kid, it's a completely different thing. Lack of smoking is merely an omission of smoking, there is a gap where the smoking would have been and there is also a kid.

So how do we actually strengthen our will? (and if any different, what about sins specifically)

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
So how do we actually strengthen our will? (and if any different, what about sins specifically)

I dunno, i'm guessing you do stuff like
-Pray to God to strengthen your will
-Be more proactive around it Islamically
-Exercise the self control you know you have by mentally prioritising differently

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
You wrote:

Right so a smoker who'd been smoking for years who did want to quit but they were so addicted that every time they tried they eventually gave in when it got too difficult but then they realised that cos they had a young child or something they had to force themselves to quit one at a time but it was very hard for them.

OBVIOUSLY they had some sort of willpower and the Capacity to improve their willpower but they only got the means and motivation to STRENGTHEN it by the realisation that their kid might suffer for it.

Just because they did it FOR a child, they're not REPLACING cigarettes with a kid, it's a completely different thing. Lack of smoking is merely an omission of smoking, there is a gap where the smoking would have been and there is also a kid.

exactky what i said, Motivation strengthens your will power and demotivation weakens it.

for staying away from sins etc. your motivation is to please Allah(swt) and to attain Jannah. it's just trying to keep that in mind i guess.

for example if i read an ayat in the Qur'an or hear a lecture i usually get some motivation to stay away from sin etc. vice versa, people or whispers from the shaitan can de-motivate you.

it's the same thing when trying to lose or gain weight, you need some motivation to keep you going

i don't know if any of this makes sense

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

s.b.f wrote:
Lol

What is so funny? o.O

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
Lol

What is so funny? o.O

It's a beneficial secret.

s.b.f wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
Lol

What is so funny? o.O

Lol

Fizz, Can willpower be Strengthened?

MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
MakeMeRawr_8TeenF wrote:
s.b.f wrote:
Lol

What is so funny? o.O

Lol

Fizz, Can willpower be Strengthened?

Let's not argue, when we both know the answer is blinkin' obvious. But do tell, what are your thoughts?

Rawrs has already given her thoughts, read up!

But you tell us yours Smile Blum 3

oh and HOW can you?

Lol

SMH

Pages