Why is it taboo in asian societies for women to cut their hair?

44 posts / 0 new
Last post

And masculine.... first it tells the believing MEN to lower their gaze.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Because you brought your girlfriend home!

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

wednesday wrote:
MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:
Rory stop being silly.

Nuh-uh

hehe : )

What about men? Are they anywhere advised not to look like women? ie long (I mean longer than shoulder length) hair and stuff? Are they too asked not to imitate non-believers?

I am quite sure both the imitation of the other gender and of other religions is unisex (or the phrasing may even be masculine as that is what is used when addressing everyone.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
You wrote:
couldn't you like... think out of the box... only when we tell you to?

:o

No you didn't just accuse me of being narrow minded!

It was a joke. (I am quite sure I suggested the opposite. or narrowly broadminded or something.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:
Rory stop being silly.

Nuh-uh

hehe : )

What about men? Are they anywhere advised not to look like women? ie long (I mean longer than shoulder length) hair and stuff? Are they too asked not to imitate non-believers?

I thought it was sunnah to have shoulder-length hair

Don't just do something! Stand there.

You wrote:
MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
You wrote:
couldn't you like... think out of the box... only when we tell you to?

:o

No you didn't just accuse me of being narrow minded!

It was a joke. (I am quite sure I suggested the opposite. or narrowly broadminded or something.)

Lol

SUCH a scaredy cat xD

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Yup, I have a thin streak of cowardice running through my veins.

if i try to explain to my parents that this sort of stuff is just cultral crap they make me look soo bad. first they would say the scholars say it etc and then its like "ur older than me arent u, u know more than me" or "i dont know anything do i?!" Sad

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

{sigh} Sad :X :/

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I am so circulating this hadith to everyone!! Biggrin

do u think i could find the hadith in urdu? if someone else does please do link it to me, it would be most appreciated!!

Also yesterday when i asked my dad for evidence (:P) he dad goes it says in Surah Nisa that u cant cut ur hair and i was like it probably says to not look like a boy and all that but i need to read up on that. does anyone else know anything about it?

Women cutting the hair
The hadith in Muslim in which it is stated that the blessed wives of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give peace) used to cut their hair, the commentators of Muslim explain that it is applied to women who are old and widowed and does not beautify herself. Imam Nawawi states that this action cannot be imagined as haven been during the lifetime of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give peace).

- It is permissible for an old woman and a young girl who cannot look after her hair, to cut it short a little, in order to look after it.

Walaikum assalam,

In general, the books of the Hanafi school are very strict about women not cutting their hair. The scholars differed, however, about what exactly is meant by this.

What I learned from several scholars was that a woman�s hair cannot resemble a man�s (therefore, it should be below the shoulder); it cannot imitate those of kafir or corrupt women; the best is that it be long.

The recent �answer� by Shaykh Taqi on http// is similar to this.

And Allah knows best.

According to leading Hanafi scholars of Syria, including Shaykh Adib Kallas, there is no harm in a woman cutting her hair, as long as:

a) it remains feminine (and thus does not resemble men);

b) it is not cut with the express intent of imitating non-Muslim fashions; and

c) it is not cut �excessively�.

The texts in the Hanafi school indicating impermissibility of women cutting their hair are understood�these scholars say�to be conditioned by the above considerations.

In the Shafii school, it is permitted to even cut the hair very short if the husband prefers it that way.

:S
aren't the second and last ones contradictory?

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

:S
aren't the second and last ones contradictory?

Not really.

Btw the above mentioned Shaykh Adib Kallas passed away 3 days ago.

inna lillah wa inna ilaihi raaji'oon.

The crux of it all seems to be "it should not imitate men" and then people take that to mean different things...

as for the it should not imitate non muslims thing - I think that cna be discounted as generally it means in a religious manner where it should not imitate something that is considered from another religion - like dress wise this is meant to mean eg dressing up as a preiest. At the same time this can be taken in the opposite manner where... were sikh/hindu women allowed to cut their hair at all? if no, would it not be differentiating from them to cut the hair?

Pages