Why is it taboo in asian societies for women to cut their hair?

Just asking because I came across which mentioned:

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” ( al-Hayd , 320)

So why is it taboo especially for the older generation? Is there some valid source, or could it be due to maybe influence from other religions in the region which may be against cutting of hair? (I *think* sikhs may consider it wrong to cut the hair... or I may be making that up.)

(PS I cannot seem to find that hadith in the ...)

Thid kind of question can only be answered by the one and only.....an Asian Male! Since they set these rules and passed them on.

I'd also like to know why asian women should not learn how to drive when the Qu'ran and Suunah has no law against it.

Also like to know why its wrong if a female driver overtakes a male driver

Also what's the problem if girls come out with damn good grades which the asian males never did

(Yes I am an asian female - can u tell :D)

Its a cultural thing. I kept cutting my hair despite my fathers extreme annoyance. I just kept it tied back. After marraige, my hair is shoulder length - dad still hates it.

I've heard some cultural stuff about metal never touching a womans hair...dunno how true this is...

Although, there is some religious backing to it. Islamically, girls must not look like men, so very short boy cuts are forbidden in islam.

Saira wrote:
Thid kind of question can only be answered by the one and only.....an Asian Male!

I hate the logic of "when in doubt, blame the men!" - mainly because that puts me in the firing line.

@MuslimSister - there is a hadith on he lines that a woman should not shave her head where some people get the idea from... but that is shaving, not cutting.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
Saira wrote:
Thid kind of question can only be answered by the one and only.....an Asian Male!

I hate the logic of "when in doubt, blame the men!" - mainly because that puts me in the firing line.

@MuslimSister - there is a hadith on he lines that a woman should not shave her head where some people get the idea from... but that is shaving, not cutting.

You know what this means then.......WAR and nope I is no feminist, just seem to have males thorw rules regulations down at me which have no religious basis just cultural notions, women don't seem to do that tho)
Although if You let do anything I want then You're outta the firing line and free to live Biggrin

metal not touching hair?
:S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

metaphor. from do not let the metal touch your head, which ifs from do not shave your head (metal blade...).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

How would Rapunzel ever escaped if she hadn't been an Asian female and therefore cut her hair?!?!?!\

Won't someone PLEASE think of the (fictional) children?!

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:
How would Rapunzel ever escaped if she hadn't been an Asian female and therefore cut her hair?!?!?!\

Won't someone PLEASE think of the (fictional) children?!

How dare you suggest that women are allowed outside the house!

LOL

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

:roll:

Not funny.

And i had no idea about this haircutting thing.

One more thing that's not allowed.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Noor wrote:
it is allowed...

Clearly not everyone agrees with that...

The fact that it's questionable is enough.

#Before you look at the thorns of the rose , look at it's beauty. Before you complain about the heat of the sun , enjoy it's light. Before you complain about the blackness of the night, think of it's peace and quiet... #

Noor wrote:
:roll:

¬_¬

I got many asian friends and there parents wont let them cut their hair they go its a culture thing. I got a bob cut done. Does this mean im imitating a non-believer?

You can't live life worry if there is someone out there who might disapprove - there are better reasons than that to do and not do things.

You have to realise that there are a lot of clueless/illiterate people there too, and for them it generally works by word of mouth - since they do not feel educated enough, they are less likely to question, or even ask for explanation.

An equivalent example is advising people to not eat banananas because if they have too many, they may get too much potassium - whereas a doctor *may* have advised a single person to cut down on bananas due to him specifically have too high a potassium level.

YasminCullen wrote:
I got many asian friends and there parents wont let them cut their hair they go its a culture thing. I got a bob cut done. Does this mean im imitating a non-believer?

WHo's bob and why does he have a cut named after him? and why have you got a haircut in the name of a guy.

("imitating disbelievers" means doing it in a way that distinguishes you... for instance dressing like a nun or a priest etc - as those dress codes have specific meanings to communities and if you saw someone dressed as a priest you would not expect the person to be Muslim.)

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Noor wrote:
it is allowed...

Not true at all. The fact that there's evidence for it being forbidden means that we can ignore the ppl who say this.

?

evidence for cutting hair forbidden? or do you mean something else?

Ya'qub wrote:
MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
Noor wrote:
it is allowed...

Not true at all. The fact that there's evidence for it being forbidden means that we can ignore the ppl who say this.

no 'we' can't ignore 'the people' who say this

yes we can.

Opinions can be wrong. Especially religious ones as they require some basis for them - the principle is everything is allowed unless forbidden. Yet some people try to reverse that and that is wrong.

No YOU can. Don't speak for me.

As far as i'm concerned, they're Muslims and their view counts, and it doesn't seem as though it's a rare opinion.

i DOUBT it's solely culture based, i'm sure they have good reason to believe they're right as much as you have to believe you are.

MakeMeRawr_6TeenF wrote:
No YOU can. Don't speak for me.

you're right (but I stand by the thought that not all opinions are equal).

EDIT - also, is the opinion not automatically discounted til you come across it? til you see some reason for why they think so, is it not just another opinion in a sea of opinions, without much weight?

Rory stop being silly. Why make something complicated when it doesn't have to be? Whether you decide to cut your hair or never cut it, cover it or not, wear what you like etc is NONE of anyone else's business.

They can tell you their view/belief/opinion as to if it is OK in the Eyes of God, but whether you (or anyone else) chooses to follow what they say is entirely up to you (or anyone else).

Ya'qub wrote:
Rory stop being silly.

Nuh-uh

couldn't you like... think out of the box... only when we tell you to?

You wrote:
couldn't you like... think out of the box... only when we tell you to?

:o

No you didn't just accuse me of being narrow minded!

You wrote:
Just asking because I came across which mentioned:

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” ( al-Hayd , 320)

So why is it taboo especially for the older generation? Is there some valid source, or could it be due to maybe influence from other religions in the region which may be against cutting of hair? (I *think* sikhs may consider it wrong to cut the hair... or I may be making that up.)

(PS I cannot seem to find that hadith in the ...)

Look at the Hadith, lovely innit! Smile Just below the ears is pretty short, so I'm guessing cutting it to that length is halal, so long as you don't look like a man.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Pages