NO TOPIC 5

203 posts / 0 new
Last post

I shouldnt really bitch about the country I am living in. I really do love it here. But boy are Egyptians lazy.

I'm here working as a primary school teacher in a international school and they've given all teachers ramadan off, cos people here way too lazy to work during ramadan.

There's talks of postponing schools opening until mid october, cos of fears over the swine flu. I remember, when I was the in the Uk, schools stopped closing down even when there were outbreaks of the swine flu, cos it just wasnt feasible to shut so many schools down (one of the schools I was working in had an outbreak too, but we remained open). But here, nationally they're closing schools down, even when cases havent been reported!!

p.s speaking of being lazy, clocks go back here for an hour only during the month of ramadan so we get an extra hour of our fast in bed! They gor forward after Ramadan.

Currently, I'm opening by fast around 6pm!!

Is it me, or, has anyone else also noticed that our dear sister is losing it?

MuslimSister wrote:
p.s speaking of being lazy, clocks go back here for an hour only during the month of ramadan so we get an extra hour of our fast in bed! They gor forward after Ramadan.

I think that's pretty cool. Guess that is a major benefit of living in a muslim majority country - the place can be moulded around you.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Its Egypt. It has that kinda of effect on you.

Latest update is that schools may be delayed until mid october. Not bad cos it'll give me a chance to see the pyramids, museums etc.

However, to make up for this missed time and cos of the facts that parents pay ridiculous amounts of money to send kids to international schools (which so isnet worth the money they pay). Teachers will be working 6day week until Dec to make up for the missed time...

Has anyone told them that swine flu may be worse in winter - it being cooler and all that?

It's like the victory party in the UK over swine flu - no one seemed to take notice that the infection rates started to go down two weeks after the end of the school term when it takes about two weeks for the symptoms to show...

Now that we are a couple of weeks into the new term, there is every chance the infections could start rising again. If they don't, things are closer to being in the clear.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
MuslimSister wrote:

I think that's pretty cool. Guess that is a major benefit of living in a muslim majority country - the place can be moulded around you.

Like the great pig killing spree that happened a while ago...yep, this place really is moulded around the whims of egyptians...

Yeah, I read about that and how they also managed to do it in a kind of (well, not "a kind of" but "a very") horrendous and inhumane manner.

EDIT - does Egypt have a slave history? I read somewhere that in some arab countries, work is looked down upon because of their recent abolishment of slavery and work was considered something that slaves did... but that this is only in some of the countries.

Yeah they were mutilated horribly…the Christians were not happy about that at all, esp since looking after pigs is often the job of poorer Christians, so many lost their jobs (which just added to the current religious tension)…apparently, they were screaming "die pigs, die!" as they carried out the massacre, although that could have just been a exaggeration by a disgruntled ex pat

I dunno about history, but its not uncommon to kind live in nanny's, cooks and cleaners etc here (even amongst the working class lot)...I have 10 matrons just outside my classroon ready to clean stuff if I call them (not that I ever use them).

Its sad state of affair, but at the same time a couple of egyptian pounds a month can feed a poor family for a month - the divide between the rich and the poor is VERY apparent here.

I havent visited the poorer areas here but I've heard that some people here are so poor that they live in tombs...

MuslimSister wrote:
I havent visited the poorer areas here but I've heard that some people here are so poor that they live in tombs...

- I think I read somewhere that there are like half a million residents but can't find any figures.

You wrote:

EDIT - does Egypt have a slave history?

lol... erm, maybe something to do with the bani isra'il?

who do you think built the pyramids? (I mean slaves, not necessarily all Jewish ones.)

Don't just do something! Stand there.

I meant more recently.

oink flu?

I think the sunset looks much more beautiful than thean the sun rising! Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

wednesday wrote:
ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
I think the sunset looks much more beautiful than thean the sun rising! Smile

I can't decide between one or the other...

sunset rocks!

But seeing the sunrise is rarer so more inspiriing

Big Cook, Little Cook, welcome to our cafe.

Shall we muslims join the free Polanski campaign?

Roman Polanski fled America after getting laid by teenager. She forgave him later.

He was arrested in Switzerland last week.

Celebraties are saying so what he raped a 13 years old girl. It was 30 years ago. Old news.

Plus, Polanski is a top director. Therefore, France and Poland claim he is above the law.

There is going to be a demo in his support. Who is attending?

Its dry, Omrow needs to create another poll Blum 3

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Omrow wrote:
Polanski is a top director. Therefore, France and Poland claim he is above the law.

Lol

Having read the link, I would have said, no, let the US make an extradition request. However at the bottom it said this so I figured, in that case, the US autrhorities should let the Swiss know that they won't be extraditing him, otherwise that guy is stuck in Swiss custody for 60 days...unless of course the US extradite him anyway, then the situation changes.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

Its dry, Omrow needs to create another poll Blum 3

Do you want to help?

I'd love to help, but i don't know how to? Smile

I'm STILL not back to school!!

But on a brighter note, i did get to visit sharm el sheikh. Go snorkeling in the red sea and drink beduion tea near mt sinai.

Seems like a more than adequate replacement. (ofcourse making the hours back may make you feel otherwise.)

Thanks Power. I'll teach you sometimes.

MuslimSister wrote:

But on a brighter note, i did get to visit sharm el sheikh. Go snorkeling in the red sea and drink beduion tea near mt sinai.

Is that place as good as looks on TV?

Omrow wrote:

I look forward to the lessons Smile

What does it mean to be 'most perfect in faith' ?

s.b.f wrote:

it doesn't mean anything. It's a misnomer. You can't have 'most perfect': something is either perfect or not perfect.

One thing cannot be 'more perfect' than another.

It might be a bad translation from another language.

But I guess the phrase is used to mean 'most pure in faith'

s.b.f wrote:

having a high level of taqwa.

Omrow wrote:

MuslimSister wrote:

Is that place as good as looks on TV?

Even better.

Absolutely breath taking. The coral, reef, colourful fishes under the sea really felt as if I was in another world.

I loved the sea. Loved the mountains. Half wish I came here for my honeymoon. What I DIDNT like was the amount of naked girls I saw.

Pages