Have you recently talked to your friendly neighborhood reference librarian?

74 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Seraph" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:

BUT there are pessimistic assumptions i.e. think the worst of everyone AND optimistic assumptions i.e. think the best of everyone. there are many ahadith supporting the latter.

You seem to be stuck with the word assumption on your lips.

i only used the word 'assumption' in my last post because thats what u used, u didnt deny that u assumed, see here:
"Seraph" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
no it isn't 'realistic' either, not everyone lets things 'get to their head'. its not nice to assume.

ahh but your also assuming it DIDNT go to her head.

tut tut....

"Seraph" wrote:
According to dictionary.com: assumption is 'a statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn' or 'a hypothesis that is taken for granted' however if you look at my original statement above I-m so happy you'll find it doesnt quite fit this definition... therefore the act of assuming is irrelavant and your comments nothing but heresay.
if you really want to get caught up on semantics, may i point out that those definitions u quoted are in fact from "WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University", dictionary.com's OWN definition of 'assumption' is 'The act of taking for granted' or 'Something taken for granted or accepted as true without proof; a supposition'.

"Seraph" wrote:
Furthermore you shall find that infact my original statement falls more nicely in the terms of instruction or advice.
i believe fizzy is 23 years of age? altho u like to call yourself 'old', i doubt ur of an older generation? Wink if so, no offence but i dont think u have the authority to 'instruct' her. 'advise' her u can ofcourse, this is our duty towards eachother as Muslims, but not in such a manner that it may cause offence (who would listen to such advice?).

"Seraph" wrote:
Case closed, court is adjourned.
i rest my case... let the jury decide. Wink

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

If the jury can't make up its mind quickly, does it get to stay in a really nice hotel? Biggrin

"Beast" wrote:
"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

If the jury can't make up its mind quickly, does it get to stay in a really nice hotel? Biggrin

i dunno, ask seraph - he's the one who made this a court case. Wink

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

hmmm

aasiyah, thanks for sticking up for me

seraph, didnt realize i was being big headed, your welcome to advise all you like. forgive me if i dont take it all on board.

it is wrong to assume, i was not showing off, only shown poem to about three ppl, is that showing off? i dont know. will refrain from such additions in future.

anyway, case closed your honour

Aasiyah... its free advice... if they take it or not is entirely up to them. Thats why its called advice not a command, as for authority... there is no authority on giving advice... it certainly doesnt have a seat on the UN.

No disrespect to fizzy, and im sure shes generally a well grounded person in which case im sure fame wont go to her head. In which case good for her. But the advice stands.

Ladies and gentleman of the jury... this is not about semantics but of possibilities. Our friend Aasiyah would lead you to believe i was making bad assumptions as a matter of fact. But facts ladies and gentleman leave no room for reasonable doubt.

And according to exibit A:

"fizzy1" wrote:

i had a poem published few years back

had to write it in eng class in uni

was published in uni magazine, then on internet

Purely on the basis of this I-m so happy and with no prior knowledge of fizzy1s character... can we say without a doubt that you know shes a well grounded person.
Thus it becomes a question of opinion and possibilities not of facts. The only facts are the above post and my advice. Is it a fact that an bad assumption was made... no it isnt. Is it a fact purely on the basis of exibit A that we know fizzy1 is a well grounded person... no it isnt. Bcoz facts dont leave room for reasonable doubt ladies and gentleman.

The defense rests.

PS: fizzy1 :- no offense to you meant, hope we're still cool.

Back in BLACK

lol

We got some really good lawyers in here Blum 3

Next time i'll know who to ask to fight my case

"Angel" wrote:
lol

We got some really good lawyers in here Blum 3

Next time i'll know who to ask to fight my case

If only my lecturers ever said the same thing.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:

If only my lecturers ever said the same thing.

There is still hope...did u also do Law?

lol! Lol ok, firstly:

"Seraph" wrote:
Aasiyah... its free advice... if they take it or not is entirely up to them. Thats why its called advice not a command, as for authority... there is no authority on giving advice... it certainly doesnt have a seat on the UN.
u r mixing up my words here^. i made it clear in my previous post that in regards to giving 'instructions' to fizzy, IMO u did not hav the authority to do so. and i thereafter made it clear that OFCOURSE when it comes to 'advice' we each have a duty towards eachother to do so, [b]nicely[/b] - TWO seperate points there!

Quote:
Ladies and gentleman of the jury... this is not about semantics but of possibilities. Our friend Aasiyah would lead you to believe i was making bad assumptions as a matter of fact. But facts ladies and gentleman leave no room for reasonable doubt.

And according to exibit A:

"fizzy1" wrote:

i had a poem published few years back

had to write it in eng class in uni

was published in uni magazine, then on internet

Purely on the basis of this I-m so happy and with no prior knowledge of fizzy1s character... can we say without a doubt that you know shes a well grounded person.
Thus it becomes a question of opinion and possibilities not of facts. The only facts are the above post and my advice. Is it a fact that an bad assumption was made... no it isnt. Is it a fact purely on the basis of exibit A that we know fizzy1 is a well grounded person... no it isnt. Bcoz facts dont leave room for reasonable doubt ladies and gentleman.

ok, so: facts vs. 'reasonable doubt', yes?
my argument in a previous post about bad assumptions vs. good assumptions was based solely on Islamic references... as Muslims we are required to think the best of our brothers and sisters. if you feel they are doing something wrong, the right way to 'advise' would be to take them aside and tell them in such a manner that they are likely to listen - not bring out their (suspected!) faults in the public arena.

Allah (s.w.t) commands us:
“O you who believe! Shun much doubt; for lo! some doubt is sinful.” [49:12]

Imam Bayhaqi narrates in his Shu`ab al-Iman [7.522] that Hamdun al-Qassar, one of the great early Muslims, said:
“If a friend among your friends errs, make seventy excuses for them. If your hearts are unable to do this, then know that the shortcoming is in your own selves…”

Ok, I will preetn my evidence.

from that post alone, how can we say she is NOT a well grounded woman?

Seraph stop digging.

If you admitted your mistake, we would not have wasted so much time over nothing. :twisted:

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

from that post alone, how ca we say she is NOT a well grounded woman?

Isnt that what i was asking? Rhetorical question admin....

My point was we cant tell one way or another. :roll:

"Admin" wrote:

If you admitted your mistake, we would not have wasted so much time over nothing. :twisted:

What mistake?? I admit nothing but the plain truth.

You want the truth! You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! Bah! I deride your truth handling abilities!

Yeah but it was fun playing advocate tho Biggrin maybe some day we'll play for real.

lol Aasiyah... well played... but im sure i dont need to point out the difference between value of facts and opinons... nice try tho. I commend your attempted use of Islamic references and thus showing good moral fiber. But in this case i feel it would be inpractical to send pm in response to every post some1 made.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

from that post alone, how ca we say she is NOT a well grounded woman?

Isnt that what i was asking? Rhetorical question admin....

My point was we cant tell one way or another. :roll:

so because u 'cant tell one way or another' ud prefer to assume she ISNT 'well-grounded'? i'm sorry but thats just mean. :?

"Seraph" wrote:
What mistake?? I admit nothing but the plain truth.

lol, what 'plain truth'? u just said urself that u 'cant tell one way or another' and in ur previous post u said this is all about 'reasonable doubt' VS. facts!! :roll:

"Seraph" wrote:
lol Aasiyah... well played... but im sure i dont need to point out the difference between value of facts and opinons... nice try tho.

hmm, the 'difference between value of facts and opinions' - where does this fit in? man, u change ur tune with each post! Lol

"Seraph" wrote:
I commend your attempted use of Islamic references and thus showing good moral fiber.

u can take out 'attempted' - i DID use Islamic references. Blum 3

"Seraph" wrote:
But in this case i feel it would be inpractical to send pm in response to every post some1 made.

oh so does that mean u find faults in every other poster? Fool
the point of a forum is to discuss topics, so when u have an issue with the [b]substance[/b] of someone's post, ofcourse u reply to it in the same thread. but if u have an issue with the person themself (their personality, etc) then instead of embarassing them, one should PM them. pretty straightforward the way i see it. :?

Pages