Have you recently talked to your friendly neighborhood reference librarian?

Yes
20% (4 votes)
Yes
20% (4 votes)
No
30% (6 votes)
No
30% (6 votes)
Total votes: 20

Boy I like libraries - never did before but now I read a lot more than I used to.

THEY HAVE EVERYTHING.

I recently watched a horrible Russian movie about WWII called "Come and See" (don't go and see)

Not the sort of thing one finds at Blockbuster.

Anyway, today I am chilling with the reference librarian to talk about how we are going to research my senior project (that 100 page paper thing).

AND HES BRINGING COOKIES.

Can't beat that.

That's how you make friends with me - offer me cookies and i'll take a bullet for you.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Boy I like libraries - never did before but now I read a lot more than I used to.

THEY HAVE EVERYTHING.

I recently watched a horrible Russian movie about WWII called "Come and See" (don't go and see)

Anyway, today I am chilling with the reference librarian to talk about how we are going to research my senior project (that 100 page paper thing).

Can't beat that.

That's how you make friends with me - offer me cookies and i'll take a bullet for you.

lol, looks like we share another passion StarWarz and Cookies.

I took freshly baked cookies to work a few days ago... every1 scoffed them... i had one Cray 2 but that also got me a few favors... hahahahah.

Libraries are dull unless you have a real interest in a particular subject then you'll be in there. I just order the books i want from the web and they deliver all the books to the main library reception where i can go and pick them up when they all arrive.
Not sure what libraries are like in America but here majority of libraries are linked togeather so if one library doesnt have the book they can always place a reserve on it and have it transported to your closest library... very handy.

Back in BLACK

double choco chip...YUM

just visited the libary today, couldnt find any good enough non-fiction book
to read..thats how small the libary is

anyone read the book "SOLD"...or a "CHILD CALLED IT",wicked books

anyone a fan of danielle steel & sidney sheldon?

"Don Karnage" wrote:

THEY HAVE EVERYTHING.

Was it black and white?

Why didn't you like it? Was it the acting, the propgannda, the gruesomeness?

"Don Karnage" wrote:

Can't beat that.

Is this a service they offer?

You probably have to pay for it, right?

My local librarians don't have a clue. I went to the library about 2 years ago and I asked the woman, 'Do you have Homer?' She replied, 'Homer [i]Simpson[/i]?'

The librarians at the Uni library aren't that much better. They couldn't even get me a copy of a recent newspaper. I asked one of them, 'Do you have the Sunday Times from last week, 27 Nov' and she said 'what day was that?'

But one good thing is that if they don't have a book you can get them to request it from any library in the country. But it's only free for postgrads, undergrads have to pay £6.00. Lucky I managed to get 4 request forms off my tutor before he realised he wasn't supposed to give them for free to undergrads. Lol

Libraries are way cool.

But I prefer bookshops. They always have better selections of books.

Borders now have a small cafe above the books. Drinking hot chocolate and reading a book on yourown...thats just bliss.

Btw Irfan you know in B'ham town centre whats the name of that really massive bookshop...the one that has lots of stairs? Its SO pretty.

There are two bookshops in the City Centre with lots of stairs. Both Waterstones and both are within 1 min walking distance of each other.

New Street Waterstones and Pavillions Waterstones.

Don't know which one is most pretiest, but I guess you mean the New Street one. It's the oldest one and, I guess, has more grandeur.

"Beast" wrote:

My local librarians don't have a clue. I went to the library about 2 years ago and I asked the woman, 'Do you have Homer?' She replied, 'Homer [i]Simpson[/i]?'

Lol, you have to expect it though.

Dave it looks like we share a common interst, some of my happiest childhood memmories are of the library, seriously whenever I see a book with yellow pages, I sniff it a marvel at the nostalgia, the sweet muskyiness raises.

I still remember the first 'big' book I ever read. It was 'A horse and his boy' (in the chronicles of Narnia series) afterwards I remeber thinking, hey I can read these big books, and so I did.

The childrens section of our library was all decked out like a little forest with log chairs and stuff, so that made it all more mysterious and wonderful.

Never really attached myself to non-fiction though, so I don't really go for the uni library that much.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

"Beast" wrote:

Don't know which one is most pretiest, but I guess you mean the New Street one. It's the oldest one and, I guess, has more grandeur.

Yeah thats the one.

Its way cool. Old buildings make great libraries.

That picture don't give it justice...people need to see the circular, staircase inside.

yes yes, libraries are very nice. But y'knw whats looks even better? Islamic Libraries!!

We used to have bengali ulama as our neighbours and their frontroom had books on EVERY wall. Literally the whole front room was covered with books. Now THAT looks nice.

Similarly our madrassah has a nice library aswell.

Unfortunately some bad things happen in public libraries.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
Unfortunately some bad things happen in public libraries.

Lol

Birmingham Central Library. Right at the back of the top floor is where the Eastern History books are - it's also the place where 'some bad things happen.'

I often get distracted.

most libraries rent out films

my uni library did it for free and they were all up to date films

my local library you have to pay a small charge to rent out cds and films

im probably the only one who finds libraries expensive

because im always paying fines for overdue books, many of them which i dont even read

whcih uni do you lot think got the best library?

i think Birmingham uni would be hard to beat

Beast, you think that library is the top dawg?

this is the baddest, the [url= library![/url]

used to LOVE going library, but this internet has sadly taken me away from my books :?

would go all the time jus for Tintin[size=7]...and animorphs[/size]

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I loved the library when i was younger....i think i read all the sweet valley high books :oops: I also liked horror books back then

I miss goin to library cant rember the last time i went to my local library. The only library i go to is the uni one and that has bloody boring books :x

omg!!!

i loved sweet valley high!

still got a box of all the old books i have never thrown away

my cousin had them ALL

"Angel" wrote:
I loved the library when i was younger....i think i read all the sweet valley high books :oops: I also liked horror books back then

I miss goin to library cant rember the last time i went to my local library. The only library i go to is the uni one and that has bloody boring books :x

LOL, I used to read sweet valley high books too bein a twin myself Blum 3 .. do you remember the babysitters club books too?

Don't go local library anymore, stopped around year 8. Uni library only has the textbooks for the modules, no fiction books.

' Nay, verily! With me is my Lord, He will guide me ' {2662}

"Princess_Of_Terror" wrote:
"Angel" wrote:

LOL, I used to read sweet valley high books too bein a twin myself Blum 3 .. do you remember the babysitters club books too?

Deja vu, how could i forget! i miss good old times.....you guys bring back all those memories Cray 2

Princess you have a twin that is soo cool, identical?

EDIT

i read a few but wasnt really into them a much as SVH

think every young girl read those

I used to read point horror books... but out-grew them quickly... jthey were just too tame for me.

Back in BLACK

"Seraph" wrote:
I used to read point horror books... but out-grew them quickly... jthey were just too tame for me.

same. after the first few, it all just gets predictable...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

i used to read those with my cousin, we wd have sleep overs and read them aloud

i wd be soooo scared, wdnt go to bathroom on own, made her wait outside

I used to love the Library, I used to go there and randomly pick a book up and read it, when i couldn't be bother to go to uni, you find some interesting facts out. But I also got a big fine, so i can't take no books out, so i rarely go now.

"A true Muslim is thankful to Allah in prosperity, and resigned to His will in adversity."

[url=http//

"Aasiyah" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:

same. after the first few, it all just gets predictable...

I've read many point horror books. I actually found some very scary.

Goosebumps books were very tame.

"fizzy1" wrote:
i read a few but wasnt really into them a much as SVH

think every young girl read those

I've lost count of the number of SVH books I read. I loved them SO much.

I read the kids ones, high school ones and even some of the Uni ones.

The twins fascinated me. I think there's a bit of Jessica and Elizabeth in every girl.

anybody remember them books that could end differently?

you start of reading a scneario, and you are the main character....you then have to choose at the end of the 2 or 3 pages what your next action is. you could change the story of your character, make him die or carry on

the aim was to not die for as long as possible

VERY good ones

stories were thrilling and you could read the one book all the time and have a different story Biggrin

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Black Prince" wrote:

you start of reading a scneario, and you are the main character....you then have to choose at the end of the 2 or 3 pages what your next action is. you could change the story of your character, make him die or carry on

errrr no care to elaborate? Who made these books?

cant remember :?

im plannin on viistin library soon anyway

will look out for em again

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Black Prince" wrote:

VERY good ones

stories were thrilling and you could read the one book all the time and have a different story Biggrin

yea i remember those...i think by R.L STINE or something...were they called goosebumps or something,

i used to enjoy reading them..years back though

S.V.H were also one of my fav reads

Pages