Educating MuslimSister

127 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Don Karnage" wrote:

So you are absolutely right just take 17.5% away from 1292.50 and you will get your listed price.

Ok..and whats the easiest way to work that out?

I don't need to know the algebraic formula do I?

"The Dark Paladin" wrote:

Salaam,

I hope you don't mind me interjecting here, but I may be able to help with the second question:

Let us start, what do we know...?
-VAT(Value Added Tax) is charged at 17.5% on the original price of an item.
-Now, to add VAT of 17.5% to the price of an item, we would do this:
(price of the item) x 1.175 = price inclusive of VAT
-The value of 1.175 comes from 1 + 17.5 = 1.175 - which is how I like to calculate percentage increases Smile
-So, from the question, we know this much so far:
(price of the item) x 1.175 = £1292.50
-Therefore to calculate the original price of the item, we would do this:
(price of the item) = £1292.50 / 1.175
(price of the item) = £1100

I hope this helps.

May peace be blessed upon you.

Thank you!

And thats the answer..I've totally got you.

So, is it always important to add 1 to 17.5%? Is that with every percentage decrease question?

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

Because you are dividing three from the total value of Y-R you cannot seperate them on that side, so you phrase them like this:

(Y-R)/3 = X

Due to order of operations the function in the parenthesis must be done first, then that value is divided by three.

But your answer to that question is X = (y-r)/3

Dave I have you up to that bit... :?

Oh right now I see what you are asking.

Basically what I was doing there was trying to isolate the X in the formula

think of everything on the left side of the (=) as a seperate kingdom from the right, and everything on the left equals everything on the right no matter what is written.

so like 5-4 = 0+1

It looks different but works out to be the same.

Anytime you are trying to isolate one part of the formula you have to do the same operation to one side as you do to the other that way the sides always equal.

So for example:

5-4 = 0+1

Say I wanted to just get the 5 all by itself on the left side

I would add four to both sides that way the -4 on the left becomes zero when I add four to that side, and on the right side a positive four is added to one

so literally this is what we are doing:

5-4 (+4) = 0+1 (+4)

and if you do the math the result is

5 = 1+4

5=5

so one side always equals the other.

This gets difficult with division and multiplication.

When you have something like 12-3 = 3 x 3, and you wanted to isolate the 3 on the right side, you would have to divide 3 from both sides.

However since you are not just dividing 3 from 12, or -3 on the left, but rather the whole side (12-3) - because you are dividing three from the whole side on the right (3), you have to group the 12-3 and divide by that group.

You do this by adding parenthesis to (12-3) and then adding a "/3" to that - to communicate the person must first subtract 12-3 and then take the product of that and divide by three

so you have 12-3 = 3x3

then (12-3)/3 = 3

then (9)/3

then 3 = 3

Using parenthesis to indicate that you must do something before another is called [url= of Operations[/url], and is literally exactly what it sounds like - the order in which certain operations are carried out.

By the time I had reduced your problem to this:

Y-R = 3X

I still hadn't isolated X yet - it was 3 times X, so I needed to divide the 3 out of there.

I divided 3 from both sides so that the values remained equal and got:

(Y-R)/3 = X

Using order of operations to indicate that you first have to evaluate Y-R before you divide it by three for the value on the left to equal the value on the right (x)

Sure!

lol I am just confusing you more aren't I

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Salaam,

I hope you don't mind me interjecting here, but I may be able to help with the second question:

Let us start, what do we know...?
-The value of 1.175 comes from 1 + 17.5 = 1.175 - which is how I like to calculate percentage increases Smile

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

And thats the answer..I've totally got you.

So, is it always important to add 1 to 17.5%? Is that with every percentage decrease question?

Salaam,

Things suddenly seem to be getting quite busy on this board - lots of people replying to the same question in diffrent ways, so (to avoid confusing you) I'll hold back on answering; unless you get really stuck Wink Besides, that 'Talespin' guy (Don Karnage) seems to know what he's talking about... Biggrin

Regarding percentage increases/decreases, these are the techniques that I picked when I was at University:
-Percentage increase => 1 + (the percentage to increase by) i.e. to increase a value by 15% we would use: (value) x 1.15.
-Percentage decrease => 1 - (the percentage to decrease by) i.e. to decrease a value by 15% we would use: (value) x 0.85.

I hope this helps.

Docendo Discimus

No stay!!! You explain things far better than I do - i'm just confusing the poor girl!

(You know Talespin?!)

-Percentage increase => 1 + (the percentage to increase by) i.e. to increase a value by 15% we would use: (value) x 1.15.
-Percentage decrease => 1 - (the percentage to decrease by) i.e. to decrease a value by 15% we would use: (value) x 0.85.

I hope this helps.

It does help.

Thanks for explaining stuff in a very simple way.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

It does help.

Thanks for explaining stuff in a very simple way.

You are most welcome.

Inshallah, I'll aim to log onto this board (for an hour or so) every alternate evening. So if you have any other questions then I'd be more than happy to help you then.
In the meantime I'm sure that Don and the rest of the gang can help - they certainly have the right level of knowledge...

P.S. From my experience 'ratios' are also a favourite topic for these types of tests - you may want to read up on them too...

Docendo Discimus

lol

that 1st question was easy peasy

but Dave jus made it sound more hard

s.nob Lol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
s.nob Lol

#@$#%!!!!

you brought it upon yourself

kingdom of heaven is on, 5th time watchin it now :roll:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
you brought it upon yourself

kingdom of heaven is on, 5th time watchin it now :roll:

Damnit now I have to watch it.

I saw that 3 times in theaters to make up for the fact I never saw gladiator in theaters when it was out.

i saw it once in 'theatres'

4 times at home, my brother keeps watching it - in parts

and then keeps askin me what the story is about and whats happenin :roll:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

hahahaa that's gotta be several levels of annoying

yup

he jus watched a little bit again

which means, hes gonna watch it again later...starting from some random point in the film :roll:

he watched alexander like that.....end...beggining...end-ish....middle.....early-middle.....beggining thru to almost end

:roll:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

lol i'm surprised he watched Alexander at all.

That movie was gay - literally.

lol although I had to chuckle at hollywoods overambition,

Movie Producers: "Because we are valueless liberals we shall write a 'daring and sensational movie' about Alexander the Great and we will show that he was Homosexual because it is daring and artistic and we are liberal"

Reporter: How do you intend to do that?

Movie Producers: "By making Alex hug his lover a lot. We were informed by our target audience answered 'no' 9 times out of 10 when we surveyed them with the question "would you see a movie with homosexual sex in it?" so we decided to hint at it with prolonged awkward hugs"

Reporter: "What about all that high and mighty "artistic" talk from a couple seconds ago"

Movie Producers: "...the Studio has no comment at this time"

lol...now that was a GAY film

what was Colin Farrell thinking :roll:

but then...u heard bout Brokeback mountain :shock:

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Yea - I stayed away from that movie, typical hollywood trash.

I don't even know how they can sustain a plot for that movie "Hey guys I got a great idea... let's make a movie about cowboys moving cattle around on a desolate field, and they'll be gay"

What the hell!??

What happened to the good ole days of crimsom tide and broken arrow?

"Don Karnage" wrote:
VAT stands for value added tax doesn't it - so it's not a sales tax.

So you are absolutely right just take 17.5% away from 1292.50 and you will get your listed price.

Soz Dave but, it doesn't it.

A solution:

(original price) plus (17.5% of Original price) = value with VAT

or:

[b]O + ((17.5/100)*O) = V

take out common factor 'O' :

O*(1+ 17.5/100) = V

O*(1.175) = V

O = V/1.175[/b]

Now if you do what Dave proposed (take off 17.5%):

still with: O + (17.5/100)*O = V

take off 17.5 % of what you have:

O + (17.5/100)*O - V*(17.5/100) = V - (17.5/100)*V

simplifying:

O*(1.175) - 0.175*V = V*(1-0.175)

and so you get confused.

BTW Dave, make 'x' the subject of the formula does mean what you guessed it to be, its pretty common terminology in UK. thought it was universal.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Blah you're right - double check my answer on two, am I right there?

"Don Karnage" wrote:

so like 5-4 = 0+1

It looks different but works out to be the same.

Anytime you are trying to isolate one part of the formula you have to do the same operation to one side as you do to the other that way the sides always equal.

if you mean that post, then I think its beautiful, but I'm actually trying to teach someone basic algebra and they don't seem to be getting it, so I might also print this out and use it with them.

All my techniques seem to result in confusion, e.g. Treat 'x' as regular number, except you don't know its value, think of 'x' as a bag of oranges etc 'Do the same to both sides' also needs to be reinforced.

Oh DAve incase I never mentioned it before... Salaam, Salaam. Smile

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

lol very good then... I was a bit foggy when I wrote that out and caught a couple of strange mistakes which I later corrected, but I think all I did was confuse her...

And salaam salaam back at ya!

I covered standard index form, trigonometry, percentages, and pythagoras theorem yesterday.

Boy, all dignity went out the window as my 17year old brother and accountant uncle were trying to explain stuff to me and laughing and making fun out of me at the same time.

Not everyone can teach. Especially not silly boys.

If I wasn’t desperate I would have bashed the calculator on my brother’s head each time he called me a “stupid girl who should leave maths to men”.

I still have to look at probability, algebra, fractions etc etc.

Does anyone know if we can download or get Edexcel or Aqa GCSE maths papers from the internet?

If not..is a trip to WH Smith needed?

"Dawud" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
VAT stands for value added tax doesn't it - so it's not a sales tax.

Soz Dave but, it doesn't it.

A solution:

(original price) plus (17.5% of Original price) = value with VAT

or:

[b]O + ((17.5/100)*O) = V

take out common factor 'O' :

O*(1+ 17.5/100) = V

O*(1.175) = V

O = V/1.175[/b]

Now if you do what Dave proposed (take off 17.5%):

still with: O + (17.5/100)*O = V

take off 17.5 % of what you have:

O + (17.5/100)*O - V*(17.5/100) = V - (17.5/100)*V

simplifying:

O*(1.175) - 0.175*V = V*(1-0.175)

and so you get confused.

BTW Dave, make 'x' the subject of the formula does mean what you guessed it to be, its pretty common terminology in UK. thought it was universal.

Hey, this does not make sense to me

how cna you get from
O + ((17.5/100)*O) = V
to
O*(1+ 17.5/100) = V

PLEASE EXPLAIN!

"Seek and you shall find."

The easiest was I heard was…

There’s too many ways to do percentage increase/decrease….

"MuslimSister" wrote:
The easiest was I heard was…

There’s too many ways to do percentage increase/decrease….

[b]Hey that really is easy! good explanation!!! why wasn't this taught at school[/b] :evil: :evil: :evil:

But I still don't understand Dawuds post
HOW CAN U GET FROM
O + ((17.5/100)*O) = V
to
O*(1+ 17.5/100) = V ????????????????????????

DAWUD PLESASE ANSWER YOURSELF!

"Seek and you shall find."

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Does anyone know if we can download or get Edexcel or Aqa GCSE maths papers from the internet?

[url='s[/url] a link to the AQA papers and mark schemes (dont cheat ;)) but Edexcel is always stingy with past papers and stuff, u can search for em online tho (via google?).

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

[url='s[/url] a link to the AQA papers and mark schemes (dont cheat ;)) but Edexcel is always stingy with past papers and stuff, u can search for em online tho (via google?).

THANK YOU!!!

I won't need to leave the house after all...

[size=9]That looks really hard though :? [/size]

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

THANK YOU!!!

I won't need to leave the house after all...

[size=9]That looks really hard though :? [/size]

lol, you're welcome. and dont worry about how hard it may look - just do as many practice papers as possible and inshaAllah when it comes to the actual exam, the paper will just be like another one of the past papers uv been doing, relatively easy. Wink

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Pages