Educating MuslimSister

Salaam

I received a letter from the PGCE department confirming my place in the teacher’s training course.

BUT, before I breathe a sigh of relief, this offer is conditional…I have to pass a maths equivalence test next Friday in order get in..

So I have 7 days to revise for GCSE maths. I don’t know how I’m going to find the time…

I already have my GCSE maths…but since I got a pathetic 11/28 in the maths paper in the interview (which was 11year old standard)…I basically have to take another maths test to secure my place.

I was looking at the past papers today…man was it stressing me out. I’m so thick when it comes to maths.

SO..in this thread you maths boffins are going to educate me…

I’ll often post up math problems and you guys will explain to me the easiest way to solve them..

Feel free to post up links…

And….yeah, what role does maths play in Islam? Apparently, many Muslim scholars were mathematicians who contributed to some of the formula’s that we use today….(and if I has an interest in maths I’d know who they were and how to contributed…)

Please enlighten me…

Wasalaam

I'd be happy to help! You're going to pass with flying colors.

What are the subdisciplines on the test? Algebra, Geometry Trig and Calc or just Algebra?

lol and I must say - the change of roles is refreshing, i've been quite intimidated of your intelligence for quite some time now.

Alpha Male complex - what can I say

"Don Karnage" wrote:

What are the subdisciplines on the test? Algebra, Geometry Trig and Calc or just Algebra?

I'm so tired today. I'm not going to post up any maths problems today. Its been one thing after another today...

But..from what I've seen in the paper its a mixture of all of the above.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

I'm so tired today. I'm not going to post up any maths problems today. Its been one thing after another today...

But..from what I've seen in the paper its a mixture of all of the above.

Understandable - that's going to be difficult but I suppose doable in 7 days if you are good at taking a template topic and analytically deriving similar problems... Calc all you would probably need to know is how to do a simple derivative and and integral, trig and geometry can be combined - algebra might be tricky though...

There is a lot of fundamental stuff you just have to memorize for Algebra - especially since so much is based off of it.

But rest!

wow. i know ppl who did A-level maths, apparently its really tough! everyone hated the statistics part worst...

MuslimSis i'll help u where i can inshaAllah. i love algebra, and am ok at the other stuff (which dave can help u with ;))

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
wow. i know ppl who did A-level maths, apparently its really tough! everyone hated the statistics part worst...

MuslimSis i'll help u where i can inshaAllah. i love algebra, and am ok at the other stuff (which dave can help u with ;))

lol that's perfect since I skipped Algebra 2 (worst mistake of my life) to take Calc

"Don Karnage" wrote:
lol and I must say - the change of roles is refreshing, i've been quite intimidated of your intelligence for quite some time now.

Lol.

I too find it refreshing...

In certain matters, its embarrassing how naïve I am…

My naiveness was at its peak today…

I was talking to the lady on the phone regarding this maths test…she was giving me directions to the college.

She was referring to a college in the East of London…the college I thought she was talking about happens to be in the West (thank God I never trusted my own judgement).

I couldn’t find it on “auto route” on the internet…I was phoning up all my mates asking then where it is….I found it in the end.

And….when I walked through the gates of that college I suddenly remembered that I’ve been there before.

Then I was supposed to meet a mate for lunch after the interview…I was sitting waiting for her in the wrong campus.

When it comes to things such as directions, maths, science, history, politics, cars, bills and banks…I am VERY ignorant :?

"Don Karnage" wrote:

Understandable - that's going to be difficult but I suppose doable in 7 days if you are good at taking a template topic and analytically deriving similar problems... Calc all you would probably need to know is how to do a simple derivative and and integral, trig and geometry can be combined - algebra might be tricky though...

There is a lot of fundamental stuff you just have to memorize for Algebra - especially since so much is based off of it.

But rest!

Dave...in English please. I'm not at my brightest at the mo anyway :?

And thanks Aasiya and Shazan..I'll be picking your brains later.

lol that would have been a very lonely lunch

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:

lol that's perfect since I skipped Algebra 2 (worst mistake of my life) to take Calc

note for dave: we're talking about 10th Grade math here, so dont feed her stuff she doesnt need. Wink

remember the american and english syllabi can b somewhat different...

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Don Karnage" wrote:

Lol it was..

As you prob know...every Uni has around three campuses.

I was sitting in the right Uni but the wrong campus...I assumed that the other campus couldnt be THAT far away.

That was a wrong assumption....I must have walked half a mile to get to the right place.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

But rest!

Dave...in English please. I'm not at my brightest at the mo anyway :?

And thanks Aasiya and Shazan..I'll be picking your brains later.

Well... basically each of the above disciplines focuses on different types of problems - to boil it down to it's simplest essence with Algebra you are working with "functions" which are basically machine math problems where you plug in different numbers (values) and get back another set of numbers, Geometry is the study of shapes there are circles (radian geometry) and triangles. The further study of triangles, especially Right angles is covered in Trigonometry there is also a great deal of algebra (functions) in trig. Calculus - and i'm sure they are talking about what's called "single variable calc" is basically only two kinds of problems, derivatives - which are similar to functions in algebra, though you do different stuff with them, and Integrals which are going to be very different than anything before - that has more to due with number sets.

It sounds technical now but when you actually look at it, it will make sense.

But basically all you need to know is that if you understand those basic types of problems and you know how to apply them to possible problems on your test - you will probably be able to cover most of what is on the test and really raise your score.

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
"*DUST*" wrote:

note for dave: we're talking about 10th Grade math here, so dont feed her stuff she doesnt need. Wink

remember the american and english syllabi can b somewhat different...

oh well then she definitely won't need calc - and probably not trig... Algebra mostly and perhaps a little geometry should do her just fine.

Sounds like the Math SATs - that's nothing to worry about at all

:?

Dave..maybe after I post some of the past papers exam questions up you'd realise we're only chatting about 16year old standard maths...in a ordinary public school.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

Lol it was..

As you prob know...every Uni has around three campuses.

I was sitting in the right Uni but the wrong campus...I assumed that the other campus couldnt be THAT far away.

That was a wrong assumption....I must have walked half a mile to get to the right place.

lol so basically you had a good long time to think about your mistake while walking over to the right campus

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Dave..maybe after I post some of the past papers exam questions up you'd realise we're only chatting about 16year old standard maths...in a ordinary public school.

The Bite size revision website will proved to a valuable resource

"Don Karnage" wrote:
But basically all you need to know is that if you understand those basic types of problems and you know how to apply them to possible problems on your test - you will probably be able to cover most of what is on the test and really raise your score.

exactly - with math, the more questions u practice, the easier it gets - do as many past papers as possible before the exam.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

lol remember how we were just talking about people making naive moves?

This would be mine for the day.

You're only going to need to know Algebra probably - you're going to be fine in that case because it's pretty easy to pick up - especially the rudimentary stuff

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

exactly - with math, the more questions u practice, the easier it gets - do as many past papers as possible before the exam.

Yea she's right, Math is a language, the more you use it the better you get at it

The CGP books are EXCELLENT for revision in my experience. I used these books solely for GCSE and alhamdulillah did whatever was destined for me.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Don Karnage" wrote:

Dave u just wanna reason to show off

male ego and that :roll:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Dave u just wanna reason to show off

male ego and that :roll:

That is what he said!

"Don Karnage" wrote:

In maths you must remember to learn how to do things, and forget about the answer. If you do the thing correctly, the answer will be correct.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Med" wrote:
The CGP books are EXCELLENT for revision in my experience. I used these books solely for GCSE and alhamdulillah did whatever was destined for me.

them were well good wen i was a wee kid.....used them books for my science and maths tuition classes

i think gcse bitesize is ok....theres also good lil guides you can get from places like WHSmith that i would reccommend

but it really is easy

[size=7]logic - but then again, we are talking women.....all they know is emotions....maybe im asking for too much[/size]

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

True. I am better at the "emotional" stuff.

But I can also be very logical when I choose to be.

Women are great at being people of many different talents..

Anyway guys...I've promised myself that I won't leave the house for the next 5-6 days.

I HAVE to get through this test.

Few questions...

1) y = r + 3x

make x the subject

2) The selling price of a computer is the list price plus VAT at 17.5 %

The selling price of a computer is £1292.50

Work out the list price of this computer

"MuslimSister" wrote:
True. I am better at the "emotional" stuff.

But I can also be very logical when I choose to be.

Women are great at being people of many different talents..

Anyway guys...I've promised myself that I won't leave the house for the next 5-6 days.

I HAVE to get through this test.

Few questions...

1) y = r + 3x

make x the subject

1) I'm not precisely sure what they mean by the subject - however i'm assuming they want you to give X the value.

As it's presently written Y is the value - or to say it another way, it's presently phrase Y is (=) this (r + 3x)

What I think they are asking is "what is x"

So the rule here is everything you do to one side - do to another.

Y = r + 3x can be isolated down to Y - R = 3x by subtracting "R" from both sides.

The total value of the statement doesn't change since you are in effect adding "Zero"

So now you have Y - R = 3X

Now you have to get rid of the 3 times X by dividing 3 from both sides.

Because you are dividing three from the total value of Y-R you cannot seperate them on that side, so you phrase them like this:

(Y-R)/3 = X

Due to order of operations the function in the parenthesis must be done first, then that value is divided by three.

But your answer to that question is X = (y-r)/3

2 is confusing me... i'm not quite sure what a VAT % is - is that 17.5% of the list price?

"Don Karnage" wrote:

Because you are dividing three from the total value of Y-R you cannot seperate them on that side, so you phrase them like this:

(Y-R)/3 = X

Due to order of operations the function in the parenthesis must be done first, then that value is divided by three.

Dave I have you up to that bit... :?

And regarding the second question..

Isnt it just asking us to take 17.5% away from £1292.50?

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

(Y-R)/3 = X

Salaam,

I hope you don't mind me interjecting here, but I may be able to help with the second question:

Let us start, what do we know...?
-VAT(Value Added Tax) is charged at 17.5% on the original price of an item.
-Now, to add VAT of 17.5% to the price of an item, we would do this:
(price of the item) x 1.175 = price inclusive of VAT
-The value of 1.175 comes from 1 + 17.5 = 1.175 - which is how I like to calculate percentage increases Smile
-So, from the question, we know this much so far:
(price of the item) x 1.175 = £1292.50
-Therefore to calculate the original price of the item, we would do this:
(price of the item) = £1292.50 / 1.175
(price of the item) = £1100

I hope this helps.

May peace be blessed upon you.

Docendo Discimus

"MuslimSister" wrote:

make x the subject

People have found difficulty here when they needed to work backwards from a bill whose total includes VAT (value added tax) at 17.5% to find out what the bill would have been before the VAT was added.
The easiest way to explain how this is done is to take an actual example.
Suppose that a bill which includes VAT comes to £1602.70. We want to know what the amount was before VAT was added.
DANGER You can't work out this answer by finding 17.5% of £1602.70 and then taking it off. The reason for this is that the 17.5% is of the original amount of the bill and not the final £1602.70.

We'll save writing by calling the amount before VAT was added C.
Then, working in £, we know that

[img]

Tell me if that makes sense

"MuslimSister" wrote:

I don't exactly know what you mean

"MuslimSister" wrote:

I'm an idiot - VAT stands for value added tax doesn't it - so it's not a sales tax.

So you are absolutely right just take 17.5% away from 1292.50 and you will get your listed price.

The Algebraic formula (if you care) would look like this:

L + V = S

or for your purposes:

L = S - V

Where L stands for the listed price, S stands for the selling price and V stands for the Value Added Tax.

Pages