The vehicle that never runs out of Ice Cream! + Nutella Chocolate Spread is NOT Haraam!

When the suns shining and the kids are all out to play, you'll never miss the jingle of the one vehicle that never runs out of Ice Cream. As a kid, you generally keep spare change in your pocket or you run to your mums handbag and dig out a pound or two. Then, as you grow up, you never seem to loose this fantasy and you begin to realise that the taste of the ice lollies and ice creams from the ice cream van are much better than the ones you keep in your kitchen freezer! They just don't taste the same at all! The jingle just calls your entire street and tempts you, regardless of how old you are and what you were doing at the moment. But have you ever thought that the life of these ice cream vans are full of rivalry and wanting to get their fist, to receive the most customers and most sales? Now, enough of all the happiness, i hope i havn't made you crave for one, but it all gets a little too serious, and an example of it, is in this video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-18402395

Comments

Northen Southener
Member since:
25 April 2012
Last activity:
6 months 1 week

I had to laugh all the way through that! Thanks for sharing it smiley

 

Hummus
Member since:
28 August 2010
Last activity:
2 hours 2 min

I see some copying and pasting there, i wonder where you stole those words from?

Do you have a favourite ice-cream? You must do, you always seem to be having one, or on the way to get one!

 

Northen Southener
Member since:
25 April 2012
Last activity:
6 months 1 week

I like the Mr Softee ice cream in a cone with that strawberry sauce on it.

mmmmm......

I'll have one on the way home I think.

TPOS
Member since:
8 November 2008
Last activity:
5 days 20 hours

Northen Southener wrote:

I like the Mr Softee ice cream in a cone with that strawberry sauce on it.

mmmmm......

I'll have one on the way home I think.


No sprinkles?!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Northen Southener
Member since:
25 April 2012
Last activity:
6 months 1 week

TPOS wrote:
Northen Southener wrote:

I like the Mr Softee ice cream in a cone with that strawberry sauce on it.

mmmmm......

I'll have one on the way home I think.

No sprinkles?!

I heard they are not Halal so no sprinkles. I do have a flake though.

In case someone says that's Harah too - I'm going to stop reading this blog post now.

Foysol89
Member since:
13 February 2011
Last activity:
11 months 2 weeks

The best thing for me about getting an ice cream from the 

van is when you're getting one for someone else and the ice cream starts to melt, so obviously you have to keep licking both ice creams Biggrin

Fav ice cream would be be double coned, double scooped, double flake 99 with chocolate and strawberry sauce Biggrin

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

TPOS
Member since:
8 November 2008
Last activity:
5 days 20 hours

Northen Southener wrote:

TPOS wrote:
Northen Southener wrote:

I like the Mr Softee ice cream in a cone with that strawberry sauce on it.

mmmmm......

I'll have one on the way home I think.

No sprinkles?!

I heard they are not Halal so no sprinkles. I do have a flake though.

In case someone says that's Harah too - I'm going to stop reading this blog post now.


you have no evidence though?!

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Hummus
Member since:
28 August 2010
Last activity:
2 hours 2 min

I think we should be brave enough and have the courage to question the guy that gives us the ice cream, without intimidating him and making him look like he's in the wrong (even though he might be). Im sure if doesn't contain any haraam ingredients, he'll be willing to show you the box and its ingredients. It'll help him because he knows that you'll buy it, so thats 10p extra, for everytime you buy one (if he charges for extra stuff)!

I've been in Foysol's situation. I hate to let it drip onto my fingers and then the floor, thats just wastage of the beloved ice cream. 

I remember a time when there was this one ice cream van... I held out the money, he saw how much i had, and then decided to charge me extra. Then the next time i bought one he charged me even higher! That wasn't fair at all! His prices fluctuate, i think they should always stay the same. Next time, i should bring less change, that way he'd have already given me the ice cream and would loose out if he had to throw it in the bin, just because i was a few pence short!

 

Northen Southener
Member since:
25 April 2012
Last activity:
6 months 1 week

TPOS wrote:

you have no evidence though?!

My mums friends neighbour used to live with an Imam at uni, and the Imams uncle in Pakistan knows someone in the village whos daughter went to a local college where the pricipals son knew a girl whos sister is about to marry a sales rep for a leading sprinkles company in America. The info came from this rep. So you see - it's a reliable source.

Wink

Foysol89
Member since:
13 February 2011
Last activity:
11 months 2 weeks

Northen Southener wrote:

TPOS wrote:

you have no evidence though?!

My mums friends neighbour used to live with an Imam at uni, and the Imams uncle in Pakistan knows someone in the village whos daughter went to a local college where the pricipals son knew a girl whos sister is about to marry a sales rep for a leading sprinkles company in America. The info came from this rep. So you see - it's a reliable source.

Wink

 

*lol* New russian

Lets reunite the ummah under one flag LA ILAHA IL ALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH

Looking To See
Member since:
24 December 2008
Last activity:
3 hours 18 min

that was amazing NS.

and i didnt grow up with icecream van so i cant feel any of those above feelings. In France its different. there's bakeries everywhere and they sell icecreams but we're mostly mr freeze fans.

i find the icecream van icecream too buttery. my fav's McDies's cone. i know this is bad..im trying to change... but yeah..i stopped buying icecream from van like 2 summers ago. just not worth my quid.

 

 

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

TPOS
Member since:
8 November 2008
Last activity:
5 days 20 hours

Northen Southener wrote:

TPOS wrote:

you have no evidence though?!

My mums friends neighbour used to live with an Imam at uni, and the Imams uncle in Pakistan knows someone in the village whos daughter went to a local college where the pricipals son knew a girl whos sister is about to marry a sales rep for a leading sprinkles company in America. The info came from this rep. So you see - it's a reliable source.

Wink

Oh I just remembered that I found out they were haraam the other day - when I found out about nutella and oreos. Yeah, depending on the brand they're likely to have geletin or 'insect material' 

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Hummus
Member since:
28 August 2010
Last activity:
2 hours 2 min

Lilly, your missing out on soo much- Can't believe i know someone who actually stopped buying from the ice cream van two summers ago!

Lets just stay away from these sprinkles, after all, NS must've been right..

Nutella is haram too? Is this including the chocolate spread? I've eaten Haraam food! Astagfirullah!

Ingredients: Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts, fat-reduced cocoa, skimmed milk powder, whey powder, emulsifier:lecithins (soya), vanillin.

I like McFlurry Smile

 

TPOS
Member since:
8 November 2008
Last activity:
5 days 20 hours

The whey is from animals not the vegetarian kind. And it doesn't specify if it's from pigs or not :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Hummus
Member since:
28 August 2010
Last activity:
2 hours 2 min

TPOS wrote:
The whey is from animals not the vegetarian kind. And it doesn't specify if it's from pigs or not :S

I found a couple of responses from the company here: http://www.eathalal.ca/2010/03/nutella-hazelnut-spread-halal-or-haram.html. Its a bit confusing, becuase some places it says it is allowed and some responses say that its not halal. You'll have to read through all of them, to understand.. Ignore the Ferero bits, thats not what applies.

Ive just emailed the company, myself, that way they can clarify everything. Once i get a response, i'll post it on here!

 

Hummus
Member since:
28 August 2010
Last activity:
2 hours 2 min

EVERYONE LISTEN UP! After exactly 39 minutes of emailing the company, i received a response. Im surprised by how quickly they replied too!

This is what i sent to them:

Dear Sir/Madam

Please can you clarify whether the Nutella Chocolate Spread which is sold in the UK, is suitable for vegetarians or Halal. Please can you outline the unsuitable ingredients, if any.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

This is the reply that i received:

Dear Hummus, (no, they wrote my actual name here!)

Thank you for your email. Ferrero UK is delighted to tell you that Nutella Hazelnut Spread is absolutely suitable for vegetarians as the whey powder used to produce all our products is not derived from processes that use rennet of animal origin.

Yours sincerely, The nutella team, Ferrero UK Ltd.

Yahoo

 

Looking To See
Member since:
24 December 2008
Last activity:
3 hours 18 min

Hummus wrote:

EVERYONE LISTEN UP! After exactly 39 minutes of emailing the company, i received a response. Im surprised by how quickly they replied too!

This is what i sent to them:

Dear Sir/Madam

Please can you clarify whether the Nutella Chocolate Spread which is sold in the UK, is suitable for vegetarians or Halal. Please can you outline the unsuitable ingredients, if any.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

This is the reply that i received:

Dear Hummus, (no, they wrote my actual name here!)

Thank you for your email. Ferrero UK is delighted to tell you that Nutella Hazelnut Spread is absolutely suitable for vegetarians as the whey powder used to produce all our products is not derived from processes that use rennet of animal origin.

Yours sincerely, The nutella team, Ferrero UK Ltd.

Yahoo

 

WOUAW WOUAW WOUAW WOUAW WOUAW AWOUAW WOUAW WOUAW WOUAW!!

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

TPOS
Member since:
8 November 2008
Last activity:
5 days 20 hours

Hummus wrote:

EVERYONE LISTEN UP! After exactly 39 minutes of emailing the company, i received a response. Im surprised by how quickly they replied too!

This is what i sent to them:

Dear Sir/Madam

Please can you clarify whether the Nutella Chocolate Spread which is sold in the UK, is suitable for vegetarians or Halal. Please can you outline the unsuitable ingredients, if any.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you.

This is the reply that i received:

Dear Hummus, (no, they wrote my actual name here!)

Thank you for your email. Ferrero UK is delighted to tell you that Nutella Hazelnut Spread is absolutely suitable for vegetarians as the whey powder used to produce all our products is not derived from processes that use rennet of animal origin.

Yours sincerely, The nutella team, Ferrero UK Ltd.

Yahoo

Great! Thanks for doing that Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi