Do you celebrate Xmas?

Salaam

So does any Muslim here actually take part in Xmas celebrations....

Presents, decorations, xmas tree.....

Please elaborate...

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
Salaam

So does any Muslim here actually take part in xmas celebrations....

presents, decorations, turkey.....

pls elaborate...

wslaam

i got some of my friends who are muslim tha celebrate it as in on christmas day they have like a proper meal with turkey and roast and all the works.
i dont personally since i never have but i dont mind all the chocolates that come before it Biggrin

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

if you can get me some chocolate that would be great.

Doctor Who is coming on tomorrow.

I cooked a Turkey last year.

I like that we get the day(s) off.

However neither is a celebration of christmas.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:

I cooked a Turkey last year.

I like that we get the day(s) off.

However neither is a celebration of christmas.

but you do it during christmas every year? Blum 3

its nice though when everyones together though for a meal and spending time with eachother Smile

The Wisest of Man Is Not The One Who Knows, But The One Who Seeks Knowledge In Order To Perform

if you can get me some chocolate that would be great.

You wrote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

My family (me/parents) don't celebrate it but some of my extended family do. Last year I was at my uncle's and my aunty made a roast lamb dinner and it was disgusting. :/ She asked her white friend how they make it and, well, none of us pakis liked it Blum 3 One of my cousin's was actually sick and my aunty got upset cuz she'd never made food that no one liked before :oops:

Anywayy I'm home this year, and tomorrow will be just another normal saturday Smile

How about yourself, Ed?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:

Anywayy I'm home this year, and tomorrow will be just another normal saturday Smile

It won't be a normal saturday

nope.

its quite sad how even us muslim enjoy the "christmas feeling" coz we cant create it for OUR celebrations. (im guilty too)

all those scenes in movies of christmas dinners and christmas get togethers. etc...

apart from that

the actual atmosphere around this time of year; the short light hours, the movies on TV, the snow, etc... living in the west, all these things (on their own) are normalish things, but when put together they are somehow linked with christmas. yep, they've managed to join short daylights hours with the birth (?) of "christ"

these westerners are good at ... whatever it is they did.

maybe a "christmas" in Australia should help cure all this, I mean, icecream, summer, hardly any nighttime, etc... no better cure! AUSTRALIA HERE I COME!!

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Lilly wrote:
yep, they've managed to join short daylights hours with the birth (?) of "christ"

huh? :S

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Lilly wrote:
its quite sad how even us muslim enjoy the "christmas feeling" coz we cant create it for OUR celebrations. (im guilty too)

why is it sad?

we give/recive xmas presents/cards, have a family meal.

only thing we don't do is decorate the house.

we celebrate the birth of Prophet Isa (as).

but i thought that christmas day wasnt actually the birth of prophet Isa (as) but was actually a pagan festival (as always) and the christians turned that around and made it christas.

i woulda thought that celebrating christmas even if u believe it to be the birth of Isa (as) who is a prophet in Islam, it is a christian celebration and therefore to celebrate it would be imitating a religion other than islam.

"Verily, in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest"

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv4Hpz-GI3g&]

lol at the vid.

Jesus (pbuh)wasnt born on the 25th, so I dont know why 'christ'mas is celebrated on 25th. We have family friends who are christians and give presents around christmas, so we give some as well. I haven't personally attended any parties or work du's as they have of a lot of alcohol present.

"The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.." - unknown

i dont, i can see it for what it is now. But when i was younger primary and early years of secondary school it was the norm to give and take xmas cards. i guess muslim kids got swept away with the xmas celebrations, they didn't want to be seen as outsiders.

At home it was the norm to have a meal, but it wasnt every year without fail. we tried turkey roast once, and hated it. Then we used to have chicken roast with roast veg and gravy and mums pilau optional lol. We were allowed to put up lights, and those cheap paperchain type decorations.

Looking back i think a lot of this occurred because there was no parental intervention. No one stepped in and said "you can't celebrate xmas for xyz reasons because we are muslim.". Islam was not the central focus of our lives growing up, there were certain things we had to do as muslims but i would say parents were liberal they would let us take part in other celebrations as long as we didn't take it too far.

Obviously now i know this is wrong, least to me it is. As a muslim i am trying to teach my children differently. I tackled halloween this year and xmas. My son was eager to collect the xmas cards, even happy, but he did reply "we don't do xmas do we, we are muslim and santa clause is my teacher, he's not real"

I think muslims and asians in general take part in xmas to fit in. Some think they should since they live here,and should become part of their culture. But i think this is taking integration too far, it's more like assimilation. i mean can you imagine if a christian, hindu, sikh, or jew tried to celebrate Eid? Or if muslims wanted to join in vsaki celebrations? So why is it deemed integration and cool to celebrate xmas? i seriously don't get it. I can understand kids being ignorant like i was but adults whats their reasoning?

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

adults were kids once. and i dont know about anyone else, but i've always seen xmas time as a happy time (not anymore, i've alhamdoulillah, detached myself now). maybe they havent manage to fight that happy/warm feeling anywhere else, so some sort of attachment to this time of the year was created. ITs mainly tv and school that does that to us.

i mean, its snowing and its cold, but im singing silent night in the middle of the road? if this isnt socialization what is it?

and i really like the lights outside the houses, its so bright and warm, in the bus on your way home from a long cold and dark day...

i wish we could do somehting that isnt xmas related and that involved lights in winter..but the whole winter season is taken up by xmas...i've seen xmas tress and them inflatable snowmen around in november!

a meaning to christ-mass is death of Christ. ()

The word "Mass" means death and was coined originally by the Roman Catholic Church, and belongs exclusively to the church of Rome.

The ritual of the Mass involves the death of Christ, and the distribution of the "Host", a word taken from the Latin word "hostiall" meaning victim!

In short, Christmas is strictly a Roman Catholic word.

()

Bible clearly states in Jeremiah 10:2-4, "Thus saith the Lord, learn not the way of the heathen; and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven. For the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain. For one cutteth a tree out of the forest. The work of the hands of the workman with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold. They fasten it with nails and with hammers that it move not."

heard this and more in a lecture. just doing some research now, and finding all of this written by a Christian. Not to worry, off i go to type this guy's name in google and see what it says about him!

edit: yep...some says he's completely crazy..coz he said some crazy stuff about Harry Potter, witchcraft and a bit of conspiracy theory...

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Other religions, as a way of punishment were banned from certain forms of entertainment etc. That does not fully apply to Muslims.

As for being happy, what is wrong with that? you get a day off, you get a day away from the busy world by virtue of everything being shut.

There is no guilt in enjoying such things - it does not make you a Christian or push you outside the fold of Islam. Don't try to push the legitimate and allowed pleasures out of your life as that will only leave the cold behind and that is dangerous.

Christmas gets much used by Muslims of especially the south Asian culture - everyone is off, so a perfect day for a wedding. except that this year it falls within the month of Muharram and that puts some people off.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

s.b.f wrote:

It won't be a normal saturday

You are right-parents decided to call family over for dinner for some reason.

its because they knew no one would be at work - a perfect excuse to gatter and gossip and natter etc.

The only time I've taken advantage of xmas - was on my wedding day. I got married on the 25th Dec so we always mark the occasion. My non Muslim friends were amazed that I got married on such a special day...I didnt tell them that, we only chose the 25th cos it was a bank holiday and therefore the best day to have family come down and hall availability...

Xmas has become such a non issue ever since I've left the UK. Here in Dubai, I wouldnt even know that its xmas (and I love that)...most non Muslim xpats go home this time of year..

I had family over this year, so I was busy, if I wasnt I might have made a roast dinner....for no particular reason other than the fact that, there's more stuff available in the Supermarkets...

Other than the xmas sales...I don't miss xmas at all.

You're missing Doctor Who.

You wrote:
its because they knew no one would be at work - a perfect excuse to gatter and gossip and natter etc.

yep Smile Plus cuz of the snow no one bothered to come out their house and this gave them a reason to Smile

what do you think ed?
ive seen shaykh ul islam dr sahib cut cakes etc, 'celebrating christmas' (not celebrating but being there in the joyous occasion spreading the message of peace, letting the minority christian community of pakistan know that we are happy to see them, and they are accepted with open hearts as being part of a muslim majority pakistan and that this is acceptable!

so what do u think?

p.s ive also heard about quaid-i-azam muhammad ali jinnah being at a church on christmas day letting people know that the pakistan he is creating is equal for all pakistanis no matter whether, muslim christian hindu sikh etc,

Anonymou wrote:

p.s ive also heard about quaid-i-azam muhammad ali jinnah being at a church on christmas day letting people know that the pakistan he is creating is equal for all pakistanis no matter whether, muslim christian hindu sikh etc,

It's also Quaid -e-azam's birthday on the 25th Dec! Smile

I dont think anyone who understands Islam 'celebrates' Xmas as its not an Islamic celebration.

Muslim scholars/leaders use this occasion to promote interfaith and build bridges with other faith communities by attending their xmas celebrations/dinners etc. As Christians celebrate xmas to celebrate birth of Jesus then its an opportunity for Muslims to talk about Jesus in the light of Islam.

I dont think any Muslim individual has a tree in his house, decorates house, gives cards to each other and beleives that xmas is an Islamic celebration.

If you cook a turkey with ur family that dont mean u are celebrating xmas but just that u wanna try tasting a turkey Smile

TheRevivalEditor wrote:

I dont think any Muslim individual has a tree in his house, decorates house, gives cards to each other and beleives that xmas is an Islamic celebration.

some do!

TheRevivalEditor wrote:

some do!

probably a minority and if they do, it cant be Islamic as xmas is not an Islamic celebration
if ppl 'celebrate' xmas either cos of christian reasons of birth of christ or cultural reasons or whatever reasons then surely it cant be from the deen and it would come under category of 'tasshabuh'- imitating the kufaar.

otherwise we might aswell start celebrating diwali and all other religious festivals....

we have our own celebrations and that should be enough for us

yep ofcourse Smile

TheRevivalEditor wrote:
TheRevivalEditor wrote:

some do!

probably a minority and if they do, it cant be Islamic as xmas is not an Islamic celebration
if ppl 'celebrate' xmas either cos of christian reasons of birth of christ or cultural reasons or whatever reasons then surely it cant be from the deen and it would come under category of 'tasshabuh'- imitating the kufaar.

otherwise we might aswell start celebrating diwali and all other religious festivals....

we have our own celebrations and that should be enough for us

ALSO please read this from revival Q & A issue 7:

Praise be to Allaah.

There is no doubt that what is mentioned of celebrations is haraam, because it is an imitation of the kuffaar. It is well known that the Muslims do not have any festival apart from Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, and the weekly “Eid” which is Friday (Yawm al-Jumu‘ah). Celebrating any other festival is not allowed and is either of two things: either it is an innovation (bid‘ah), if it is celebrated as a means of drawing close to Allah, such as celebrating the Prophet’s Birthday (Mawlid); or it is an imitation of the kuffaar, if it is celebrated as a tradition and not as an act of worship, because introducing innovated festivals is the action of the people of the Book who we are commanded to differ from. So how about if it is a celebration of one of their actual festivals?

Decorating the house with balloons at this time is obviously joining in with the kuffaar and celebrating their festival.

What the Muslim is required to do is not to single out these days for any kind of celebration, decorating or adornment, or special foods, otherwise he will be joining the kuffaar in their festivals, which is something that is undoubtedly haraam.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said: Similarly it is forbidden for the Muslims to imitate the kuffaar by holding parties on these occasions, or exchanging gifts, or distributing sweets or other foods, or taking time off work and so on, because the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtida’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem Mukhaalifat Ashaab al-Jaheem: Imitating them on some of their festivals implies that one is happy with the falsehood they are following, and that could make them (the non-Muslims) take this opportunity to mislead those who are weak in faith. End quote.

Those who do any of these things are sinning, whether they do it to go along with them, or to be friendly towards them, or because they feel too shy (to refuse to join in) or any other reason, because it is a kind of compromising the religion of Allah to please others, and it is a means of lifting the spirits of the kuffaar and making them proud of their religion,

End quote from Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/44

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked about a Muslim who makes the food of the Christians on Nawrooz (Persian New Year) and on all their occasions such as Epiphany and other feast days, and who sells them things to help them celebrate their festivals. Is it permissible for the Muslims to do any of these things or not?

He replied: Praise be to Allah. It is not permissible for the Muslims to imitate them in any way that is unique to their festivals, whether it be food, clothes, bathing, lighting fires or refraining from usual work or worship, and so on. And it is not permissible to give a feast or to exchange gifts or to sell things that help them to celebrate their festivals, or to let children and others play the games that are played on their festivals, or to adorn oneself or put up decorations. In general, (Muslims) are not allowed to single out the festivals of the kuffaar for any of these rituals or customs. Rather the day of their festivals is just an ordinary day for the Muslims, and they should not single it out for any activity that is part of what the kuffaar do on these days.

End quote from al-Fataawa al-Kubra, 2/487; Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 25/329

It is well known that the Muslims do not have any festival apart from Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha, and the weekly “Eid” which is Friday

You missed the ashurah, which was taken from the Jews.

"It is well known" does not fit the burden of proof for most things.

I assume that you never wrote all that, but did you read it before cpying it to pretend that it was your words?

Pages