What's the point of The Revival?

96 posts / 0 new
Last post

"Hayder on Holiday" wrote:
[size=24]BYE Cray 2 Cray 2 Cray 2 [/size]

dont let the cyber door hit you on the way out.

Back in BLACK

so.. a follow up question.

Where next?

For the website?

I have a few ideas, but they will take time... so what do you think we need?

(leave the chatrooms idea out... if needed they can be implemented...)

A bit more interactivity?

I would like to start work on an online radio... no Idea how much work... so as I said above it will take time... (and linked forums where people can discuss the topics as they are being discussed could work... here the chat feature will only be present during the live stuff, so the presentors could be made as mods...)

Islamic Imagebank? there are others out there though... but I find them pretty poor. I can hardly ever find a good image when I need to. its could eb the art corner...

add a database driven events/media/tv guide...

add a CMS solution. This would need to be done for the above...

add a news blog...

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Do you have enough time, volunteers, resources, money, etc to do all that?

"Beast" wrote:
Do you have enough time, volunteers, resources, money, etc to do all that?

No.

That is why I am asking what should be done.

The CMS stuff is a must.

after that I am sure people will stepup if need be. (There is alot I can do on my own aswell...)

The other thing is not everything has to happen at once. baby steps. 1 at a time.

At xmas time, I prepared alot of teh site so that when real work is done, there will be no niggling problems.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Quote:

I would like to start work on an online radio... no Idea how much work...

very simple, theres a number of ways of doing it.. advantages to some over others.. Shoutcast is probably the easiest to get started.. u just setup a shoutcast server, set it up with winamp, and broadcast everything playing on ur system. get a microphone, get a phone that can feed into your line in socket.. and u got live call ins.. will take you 2 days max to set up.

Quote:
so as I said above it will take time... (and linked forums where people can discuss the topics as they are being discussed could work... here the chat feature will only be present during the live stuff, so the presentors could be made as mods...)

sounds like you want paltalk, personally im not too fond of it.. ive not looked into customising it.. so it might be ok. but u gotta pay for a full version.. not sure how youd integrate it with a web portal.

Quote:

Islamic Imagebank? there are others out there though... but I find them pretty poor. I can hardly ever find a good image when I need to. its could eb the art corner...

4images

Coppermine

Gallery

not sure if u want forum members to post images, if so im sure one of the above has a phpbb bridge mod.. otherwise have a look at the attachment mod on the phpbb site..

Quote:
add a database driven events/media/tv guide...

Web calendar

not sure if u can bridge it with phpbb?.. im sure phpbb has a calendar mod?

Quote:
add a CMS solution. This would need to be done for the above...

not sure where to start on this.. there are hundreds about, i say start with mambo, theres a way of migrating it with phpbb, simple if u start with fresh forum, complicated when u migrate..

Quote:
add a news blog...

I say plan it out propper, if u want a CMS, start with that.
make a separate development area on ur server, install a CMS, play about with it add remove content.. and then build on top of it, link ur forum, gallery, newsfeeds, blogs.. etc etc.

[b][i]Round and round the Ka'bah,
Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,
All the way to jannah[/i][/b]

Do you think the radio idea is feasible?

Would it be 24 hours or a few hours a day or a few hours a week?

What/how many listeners are you expecting, what's your target audience?

What's the aim of the online-radio?

Re: news blog. I could expand my daily news 'monitoring' to help you out.

i reckon its okay..

the revival definatly got potential to be one ofthe top Islamic streams on the net..

just do a search on shoutcast.com for islam, theres not much thats interesting there.. but from the stats, you can see that people still listen..

obviously its not going to have live shows 24 hours..
maybe 1 show a week to start with, depending on how popular it is..

to fill out the other slots, you can have nasheed programmes, quran recitation, lectures debates visitors can listen to whilst on the site.. all you need to do is to set up a winamp playlist every day.. another thing thats possible is to set up a request function.. so ur playlist is on the web.. users just request one and it gets queued..

also its a good way to get new visitors to the site.. when u do a search on shoutcast, for the revival readio station, it would have a link to the site.

bandwidth.. may be an issue.. but if you've got a 1meg upload with ur ISP.. it should let u have about 20 concurrent users?? im guessing..

Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,

The Revival website? My wages.

The mag? personal donations, ads. Its was all supposed to be ads, but the money men are a bit tight fisted atm.. so donations are helping alot.

I think in the long run donations should be eliminated.

And after this month we will have four issue of the mag out.

I am considering sticking ads on the website.

Maybe even allow a bookshop to have an online store through The revival, where we take a cut...

Radio wise, we can have a 24/7 stream where the new content is added of a few hours a week... have alot of prerecorded stuff. As we find our feet, we can increase the live stuff.

I would not like paltalk type thing... I have used it, but not something I like...

I have looked into the newsblogs... and their integration with phpbb is pretty poor. there is a phpbb blog, but that is not what I want... (wordpress looks good, but people have had mixed results using the phpbb login...)

CMS wise it will have to be a custom solution. The CMS out there all use databases, or flat-file databases. I want every article to have its own page. I have a concept that I need to code... I only want the db for logins etc...

i get what ur saying about the phpbb integration of blogs.

i've found that you will need experience with the php&mysql language to have any success with integration.. long thing in my opinion.

i reckon you should keep them seperate.

i dont think there is any need integrating phpbb users with the cms. after all its only the revival team that would have control submitting content. therefore its not too much work having seperate logins for a handfull of revival staff.. if it really bothers you.. match the usernames and passwords.

blogs.. hmm.. not sure what ur intending to do.. would you like to give every member their own blog space? - yes it would be nice.. but don't see any real benefit of it.

i say keep it seperate, and make one blog that revival staff can update. ensure you choose one that supports rss output though,.. it will make displaying of latest items easier to display on your cms.

book shop..

Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,

By blog, I mean a separate newsblog.

Its not mixed with the normal content of the site. Something like wordpress may be useful.

I am considering wether I should try to integrate or not... It has its benefits, aswell as the drawback that noone has achieved it yet...

The shop if done would mostly be in the hands of the store...

I may do some set-up though... but I leave that to the rest of the team to decide...

I had osCommerce in mind. Is Zen-cart better?

to be honest..
i've only used Zen Cart..

os commerce looks good too..
another one is

Like a good Sahabah,
One step, Two step,

leaving the shop bit aside (as first we will need a shop who will be willing to do it... then see what their needs are.), where do you lot think we should head?

"Admin" wrote:
leaving the shop bit aside (as first we will need a shop who will be willing to do it... then see what their needs are.), where do you lot think we should head?

Always stablize your flow of capital before expanding

"Andoverpolo" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:

Always stablize your flow of capital before expanding

Or follow the Amazon example.

Expand so fast that if you implode, the remains will still be massive. If you do not implode, you will be even more massive...

...But I am considering just set up a shop, hand it over to some book store to use. They do everything. We take a cut.

A good finance option if you ask me.

Cubecart is not bad but i recon theres better ones out there but as Admin said we need a shop willing to do it first.

When you say Radio are we talking an online streaming radio? I dont think its feasible anyother way to be honest. Unless Admins been holding out on us with some wicked new idea?

The News Blog i recon is a must. You've got to have your site updating itself with the latest news.

Back in BLACK

Greetings Admins,

There was a British gentleman I was recently talking to who has a very interesting idea - he wants to build a network for all the mosques in the UK, a webpage for every mosque, with newsletters - and plugs into the various islamic magazines throughout the country. He mentioned he was interested among other things in targeting the muslim youth. It sounds like an interesting way to reach a larger audience for you - and you did mention expansion a while back.

Just a thought.

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Sometimes there is no point to the Revival.

And sometimes it is only through the darker times do we discover our nobler selves.

Dont be dis-heartened MS, the revival is a public brand we're bound to get some weirdos on here now and then.

Back in BLACK

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Sometimes there is no point to the Revival.

She's got a point. The Ed told me when I left that the Revival was also a community.

But we sure didn't act like it today - that creep said some outrageous stuff and we got caught up in the minutea of how many "strikes" before he was "out."

And look - he just walked away.

lol he even [i]told[/i] us what he was going to do when he first came - he wonders from forum to forum causing trouble and getting banned.

Nobody to blaim but ourselves really.

Although i agree with you Dave, and that creep did say alot of s***

It would be judgemental of us to ban every new member who came on here after they first step across the line. Judda.. for one used to do that, but he's a bit tame now.

I recon we should atleast give them a chance, and as admin said he could only stay if he apologised.... obviously he didnt.

And lastly we did react as a community. As soon as saw what he was doing, as soon as everyone read what that creep wrote... we all jumped on his case. Even Med eventually realised this guy was being a prat.

And as you can tell from whats left of his posts, they were editted as soon as they were made. So the mods were doing their jobs.... after a certain someone sent a few certain PMs...ahem ahem

In conclusion.... no one was backing that idiot coz we all saw he was in the wrong and we dealt with him.

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
So the mods were doing their jobs.... after a certain someone sent a few certain PMs...ahem ahem

Youre able to read our PMs?!!

I thought admin said only the admin could do that - not even moderators.

"Seraphim" wrote:
It would be judgemental of us to ban every new member who came on here after they first step across the line. Judda.. for one used to do that, but he's a bit tame now.

i dont recall Judda ever making any [i]personal[/i] insults against [i]sisters[/i].

noone mentioned banning the scumbag until he made those disgusting comments.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:
So the mods were doing their jobs.... after a certain someone sent a few certain PMs...ahem ahem

You got that from what i said?

I think we've got our wires crossed here....

hhmm how can i put this:

"i sent pms to Admin and the mods to chuck that wackjob"

yeah i think that about covers it.

Back in BLACK

"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

i thought seraph meant HE sent PMs? but if he's referring to u, he's obviously suggesting that he is a mod aswell.

and Dave i'm pretty sure that Mods can go into our inboxes.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"*DUST*" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
"Seraphim" wrote:

i thought seraph meant HE sent PMs? but if he's referring to u, he's obviously suggesting that he is a mod aswell.

and Dave i'm pretty sure that Mods can go into our inboxes.

Im sorry people....

but i think ive developed a condition where NO ONE READS MY POSTS!!!

hello people read what ive written ^^???!!! :x

Back in BLACK

Ohhhh I gotcha Seraph.

They can go into our inboxes?! :shock:

...excuse me I need to shred some files

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Ohhhh I gotcha Seraph.

lol,

Dave do u hav something to hide?

Back in BLACK

"Seraphim" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:
Ohhhh I gotcha Seraph.

lol,

Dave do u hav something to hide?

Not anymore Biggrin

pity the only way to access your inbox is if I scan the database... not something to do lightly...

(there is probably a mod out there that allows this... but I have kept these forumsrelatively mod-free)

Pages