Careers and your CV

Salaam

Do you think your cv affects the jobs you apply for?

what makes a good cv?

what makes a bad CV?

and what baout cover letters?

Does any of this even matter?

i dont think employers actually bother reading every minute detail though

i think ur cv probably gets a three second glance b4 they decide whther they are gona call u for an interview

depends what ur applying for

if its a part time job, then i wouldn't spend hours writing up a fantastic cv, but if its ur future career, its a different matter entirely

"Admin" wrote:
Salaam

what makes a good v?

what makes a bad CV?

good spelling, and spelling cv with a v is not going to help you get a job! :roll: :twisted:

that is why I ask you to read my sig...

(corrected)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:

what makes a good v?

what makes a bad CV?

1) Course your CV is affected by the job your applying for... :shock: for example...if your applying for a sales job you would include ceratin skills and attributed then omitt some and vice versa when say your applying for a social care worker position.

btw - if you guys are not already aware YOU shouldnt be using the SAME CV for different jobs!...

2) State your skills and achievements - back them up with examples! Try not to lie as you may be questioned about specific things on your application at the interview stage or application process, be optomistic, know your strengths and discuss them...know your weaknesses but potray them positivley!

3) Check grammar & spelling in all applications...it is the first thing employers notice!

4) Covering letters are important to advise employers of your intention...however they are not needed on all occassions.

5) YES GOOD CV's are important...they can be the reason for you getting/not getting your desired job!

Hope the advice helps inshallah! Smile

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

im 90% sure when i send my cv out i will get asked for an interview, because my line is so specific.

but my problem is, every time at the interview i fall down.

ive been told numerous times i have an excellent cv, and in some cases the best they have seen, but im crap in interviews.

y what goes wrong?just nerves?...

interviews are easy...you either blow them away, or get blown away...

But I a certain my cv is poor.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

But there is one question in interview I always struggle with:

what motivates you?

I cannot say nothing... So use the normal... money... family... erm... dunno.

You could state the prospect of a professional career is what motivates you... or the challenge the job prospect will bring you...or the level of skills and achievements you will be able to gain from the post...just to name a few!

However YOUR motivation will depend on the sort of job your applying for or the sort of career you hope to progress on inshallah!

nerves are not a problem

i dont get nervous in interviews. im just super confident, and bubbly. last few interviews i have had interviewers in stitches.

problem is im too honest. i will not big myself up, as i feel it is fake and they will see thru me. im just too modest. i wont go for set answers they expect, ive read them all, and they come across as too cheesy

"fizzy1" wrote:
nerves are not a problem

i dont get nervous in interviews. im just super confident, and bubbly. last few interviews i have had interviewers in stitches.

problem is im too honest. i will not big myself up, as i feel it is fake and they will see thru me. im just too modest. i wont go for set answers they expect, ive read them all, and they come across as too cheesy

That maybe the problem hun...you may seem over-confident or tooo confident in your abilities!...mybe the interviewers feel intimidated by your positive/over confidence!

My sis was once told advised of the above in her interview feedback (which i suggest you should all request)...she thought she was going to get the job as she was really confident....the interviewer stated she became too laid back, and seemed too positive!

The purpose of the interview is not to get the intrviewer in stitiches lol (but it can sometimes help, depending on the post your applying for) but the purpose of the interview is to sell yourself by showing them HOW and WHY you are best suited for the job!

Set answers are not cheesy if you say them in the correct context and the right time...alas most of the time set answers are not what is required...you just need to deliver your own individual attributes across successfully without being too confident and the best way to do that is through ENTHUSIASM for the job/career!

LIKE THEY SAY EVERYTHING IS GOOD IN MODERATION LOL Wink

Admin,

I can't help feeling a bit glossed over and unacknowledged. I can assure you I've given you some very good advice, and the more seriously you take it and find a use for it the better for you and everyone around you.

Best wishes either way.

"100" wrote:
Admin,

I can't help feeling a bit glossed over and unacknowledged. I can assure you I've given you some very good advice, and the more seriously you take it and find a use for it the better for you and everyone around you.

Best wishes either way.

why...what advice hav you given...maybe it would prove beneficial to us all...so please elaborate... Wink

Another thread. Disrespect, bye for now.

im not cockey or arrogant, but maybe a bit confident. must work on that

if you go in there thinking your not going to get the job then you defo wont get it

its like trying to convince someone to believe something when you dont believe it urself

if u relly beleiev ur right for the job, then convincing them shud be no probs Biggrin

i suppose u can go in there over confident and completly blow ur chances as well

looks like ur f***ed either way :roll:

tell me about it

last interview i went to they asked me when i wd like to start just as i was leaving, thought i was sorted

still didnt get it

"fizzy1" wrote:
tell me about it

last interview i went to they asked me when i wd like to start just as i was leaving, thought i was sorted

still didnt get it

dont worry bout it

i recently quit my job and 2 weeks of 'chillin' and im absolutley skint again, so im back job hunting again

hopefully will get 1 soon as there are alot going becoz off xmas

"100" wrote:
Admin,

Best wishes either way.

No It has not been 'glossed over'

for anyone wondering... [url= here[/url]

Basically... get away from call centres, quit whining... and don't be a day dreamer.

Just Do It! 100's path to success. Nikes motto.

And it IS good advice.

Unless yu meant something else?

I think presentation is important where cvs are concerned, correct

grammer, spelling etc. Ceratin types of font are desirable i.e. Times

New Roman, they hate comic sans its informal apperently. Space it out,

make sure its readable (size 12 font an not 8 Biggrin and not 16 to make it

look theres more on the page Biggrin ) always put recent qualifications first.

The bit they look at in a cv mostly is the interests and hobbies, it shows

ur personality. If you got nowt to put there then get out there an do

summit. Dont brag unless you can back it up wiv summit. oh yeah use credible references Biggrin

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

agree with naz, yeh they do have to be credible references but they dont have to be truthful

there's nothing wrong with slight exageration

i no for a fact most part-time/temp jobs dont check ur refernces unless u wanna work in a hospital or something

as long as u dont put the queen or tony blair down, i doubt they will be any the wiser Wink

"Admin" wrote:
"100" wrote:
Admin,

Best wishes either way.

No It has not been 'glossed over'

for anyone wondering... [url= here[/url]

Basically... get away from call centres, quit whining... and don't be a day dreamer.

Just Do It! 100's path to success. Nikes motto.

And it IS good advice.

Unless yu meant something else?

Um, a tiny bit like that, but you ain't half ruining it. Your loss!

???

Was your advice diferent?

"100" wrote:
Admin, perhaps you should do any old work apart from working in a call centre. It is a pointlessly high-pressure job, a depressing environment, a particular waste of talent, and it did not (for me) help financially allowing time to spare for bigger things. I bet the motivation thing is behind you, someone else's diagnosis, and isn't really 'the source of all your problems' so to speak. Guessing.

from that I get:

1. Avoid call centres. Most jobs are better.
2. Others say I am not motivated, but I really am. It is not really the source of my problems.

Is that correct?

(I disagree with 2, as I can and do fake looking motivated. I myself know I am not. There is nothing I want to achieve, apart from not being miserable.)

I have no idea about whether you are generally motivated and I couldn't care less. And that's just one post, there were a few. Um, and good luck not being miserable then. It's partly down to whether you say things like that.

Time for bed.

i have 100% pass rate at interviews

Dirol

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Salaam

Experience is important...its important to have plenty of experience in the field that you wish to pursue.

I worked voluntary in schools for years before I was offered a job working with kids with special needs...

And working voluntary shows that you have a genuine interest in that field of work....

The actual contents of the CV is very important...one can "gloss over their accomplishments" but should never lie...

And they look at how you carry yourself as a person in interviews...so you really have to sell yourself....be on your best behaviour.

Wasalaam

ive done 15 placements in my field

guess its just too competitive

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
i have 100% pass rate at interviews

Dirol

sounding like ur bigheaded can also be a downfall Biggrin

how u going to get into the interview room wiv a massive head???? Dirol

Pages