What do you think of parents forcing you to do obligatory religious acts?

What else could be added?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

explain your answers and share your thoughts through this commenting thing...

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

i dont know, but i couldnt really answer any of them

If I had to choose one then it would have to be the last one definitely.

I chose "up to a point". Not sure what tht is. Maybe late teen years as a maximum?

Overpreaching also has consequences and can push people away, make them rebel.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I was torn between last and second last.

It's parent responsability to make sure we pray etc.. as they will be accounted for it on Judgement day. BUT after you reach puberty (the Islamic one) then you're on your own and your parents are not accountable for your action anymore.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

The last one! (although should it be ''It is the parents duty to make sure their CHILDREN are doing these duties''?)

It's the parents duty to make sure praying etc is fun and the importance of it! Also they should lead by example, act how they would like their children to act.

Jihad of the Nafs (The Struggle of the Soul)

Truth's_Razors wrote:
The last one! (although should it be ''It is the parents duty to make sure their CHILDREN are doing these duties''?)

Woops, yes i think i was supposed to write that :oops: can the option be changed now?

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Fixed.

This sort of reminds me of a discussion I had my mum once where I brought up free will. "What do you mean free will? There is gods will and that is what you do."

Lol

should've said "theres no compulsion in Islam, surah Baqarah" Blum 3

i've been told that parents will be questioned and punished if their children did not carry out their religious duties. But i thought everyone just accountable for their own sins? :S

I think there is a verse something like "save yourselves and your families from hellfire". But at the time forcing people is not the best way and can cause greater rebellion.

4 Me personnaly its wen my dad keeps telling me 2 go read/ or have read namaaz....i dnt need remiding every 2 min....

*dirol*''Biggy'*dirol*

Of course it's the parents responsibility that the child carries out these islamic obligations. But at the same time the parent needs to evolve what they teach their children into discussions and help them elaborate their thoughts instead of: 'do this, do that, and why are you not doing this?' since that comes across as nagging which can lead to rebelling and irritation.

Majority of the people seem to be going for the last option. So when you say "force" what do u mean?

And those who went for option 3, what age do you think they should stop at?

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
And those who went for option 3, what age do you think they should stop at?

As soon as the kid reaches puberty.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Last 1 Smile

This is because at the end of the day whatever your parents tell you, they tell you because of your benefit. They want you to do right.

I use to hate it when my mum use to tell me to do this and do that, but then i realised I need to grow up and understand her point of view. Even though she is wrong I have to respect her in every way, because at the end of the day paradise lies under the mothers feet and Prophet salala wa alay hi wa salam said You have to be obidient to your parents. Smile Smile x

I hope I did'nt say anything wrong. Fprgive me If I did .
JazakAllah

Yes you should always respect your parents. always.

But, the Q was about the ways in which your parents make you do the right things.

Anyway when i said "forcing", what did you guys understand this to mean? violence? or something else?

I took it as meaning nagging.