urdu/punjabi numbaz

116 posts / 0 new
Last post

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Admin" wrote:
I prefer the english way. It has no 'disrespectful' term.

everyone is shown respect.

I agree, I also prefer English…

I come from an Urdu speaking family; however I speak the most terrible Urdu that I end up insulting people without even meaning to.

I don’t have that problem with English; I find it easier to choose my words.

Few weeks ago I took a call in the radio station…the lady spoke Urdu and I wanted to tell her to hold on for a moment as we’ll put her on air in a bit….

I didn’t know how to say “on air” in Urdu so I said something like “wait karo hum aapko abhi radio ke undher dalter hai”….which means “wait we’re going to put you INSIDE the radio in a bit”.

My Urdu grammer is terrible, I always end up insulting people…its best that I stick to English.

lol, i hate it when you get yourself into these kinds of situations (my urdu is along the lines of "rubbish" and occasionaly contains mixture of mirpuri). My lil bro speaks the worse mirpuri its hilarious.

English is far more easier!

But if your urdu [b]was good[/b] then I for one have to say it is way more respectful then angrezi (english language).

I received nothing I wanted
I received everything I needed.
My Prayer has been answered.

"MuSlImAh786" wrote:
But if your urdu [b]was good[/b] then I for one have to say it is way more respectful then angrezi (english language).

English doesn't have respectful/disrespectful terms, "you" is just used for everyone...if u dont feel confortable sayin "you" when refering your parents, call them "mum" and "dad"etc....

"MuSlImAh786" wrote:

I don't think English is disrespectful at all.

Unless you use slang or swear word in your speech.

any language can be disrespectful..............if you speak Eton English even that sounds fancy

BUT

a lot of poets, scholars, etc will tel you............. English is a weak language

you cant interprate Farsi, Urdu, Arabic, Ottoman Turkish into English - loses vvalue and interpretation....such is its simpleness

its a fact

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

English can be a very respectful language

if ur articulate and know how to choose ur words carefully

i hate Urdu-i sound like a fool when i speak it

hey so what if english does not have the vocab of those languages?

In arabic there are supposedly 15 diferent words for camel. It may be god for poetry, but normally one or two are more than enough.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

you wont understand admin

urdu and farsi i can vouch for, im not familiar wiv arabic - they cant be captured in English, many texts lose meanings and emphasis

i was reading a Seerah book, and the author mentioned the original was in Ottomon Turkish, and despite best attempts, its not the same in english.

u hav an english nasheed - good lyrics but not very deep

u hav a naat - those lyrics dnt hav same effect in English

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
you wont understand admin

urdu and farsi i can vouch for, im not familiar wiv arabic - they cant be captured in English, many texts lose meanings and emphasis

i was reading a Seerah book, and the author mentioned the original was in Ottomon Turkish, and despite best attempts, its not the same in english.

u hav an english nasheed - good lyrics but not very deep

u hav a naat - those lyrics dnt hav same effect in English

I agree with Hayder, the emotions that are captured in urdu, farsi and arabic cannot be related in the same way in english.

THROUGH LOVE all that is bitter will be sweet.
Through Love all that is copper will be gold.
Through Love all dregs will turn to purest wine.
Through Love all pain will turn to medicine.
Through Love the king will turn into a slave!

that is not because English is a weaker languege. Its because Idioms and phrases cannot be translated word by word.

Translate something from english to another language. It will lose some of its zest.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

lol, admin - hav u ever read urdu/farsi poems? stories? understood the Qawalis or naats?

English is a good language, but far inferior - any knowledgeable person who can speak all or some of the languages mentioned will tell u that

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I suppose Urdu is more emotional then English..

But, since I can barely speak it I’m very rarely moved by it…I express myself a lot better in English and feel more connected to people who also express themselves better in English.

But I agree with someone who said that “suraiqi” is a sweet language….I love that language.

yes any knowledgeable person not fluent in english will tell you that.

"Admin" wrote:
yes any knowledgeable person not fluent in english will tell you that.

lol

"naj" wrote:
how well do you guyz know your urdu/punjabi numbaz?

i ONLY know till 33 in urdu

wheneva fam have a convo and they,mention some urdu number i'd

want to know whats it is in english and it gets my mum mad LOL.

she thinks everyone my age knows their numbaz and IM the only weird 1.

i'll know what the numba 50 is and 25 and 100 etc... but not like 41,42,43,44. they also get very riddlyfyde 1 gets confused.

so PPL tell me how many U know plz.

THANK YOU

your better then me,i only know twenty after that i realise im repeating the da same numbers again!

Actions speak louder than words!

I know my number up to 100-no joke Dirol

but if someone says to me what 47 in Urdu I wont know

I can only recite non stop from 1-100 in urdu

my urdu teacher taught me

btw guys DONT diss English

its the best lauguage-better then snobby Urdu

"MastKuri" wrote:

your better then me,i only know twenty after that i realise im repeating the da same numbers again!

u jokin i thought u knew dem..your urdu is quite good ,

my urdu aint good i know. but i speak urdu i meant to know de numbers

lilsis knowing 100...dats off the hook, u aint urdu are ya?

i dont think urdus snobby at all. or SO called posh

"naj" wrote:

My dads from Karachi-dads side all speak this extremly posh Urdu that makes me sick-they dont know punjabi

mums from Islamabad-her family speaks punjabi but before marraige mum only knew english

dad taught mum how to speak Urdu

we all speak English at home

but mum and dad speak to one another in Urdu

Urdu is snobby-u ever heard Alim Online from Geo speak? thats how my family speaks urdu :roll:

that way that man who presents alim online talks can be quite irritating,
at times hes sounds k, my sis says he talks to slow ...my cousins find him annoying.

"naj" wrote:
"MastKuri" wrote:

u jokin i thought u knew dem..your urdu is quite good ,

my urdu aint good i know. but i speak urdu i meant to know de numbers

i dont think urdus snobby at all. or SO called posh

my urdu is really good naj but im crap at numbers i have to ask mum which number she'd talking bout,my punjabi sounds hilarious,cant speak it properly to save my life lol

Actions speak louder than words!

"naj" wrote:
at times hes sounds k, my sis says he talks to slow ...my cousins find him annoying.

He is way too slow.

false pauses to retend he is intelligent... or the autocue is too slow!

I find the geezer very annoying.

nor can i speak punjabi properly...i picked punjabi up coz my parents talk punjabi between themselves, i mean i propa understand it but talking it is rather embarrasing incase you mess up your words or mix some urdu with your punjabi...i mean u get PPL who laugh innit

"Admin" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

He is way too slow.

me too

he's waay too dramatic

he irritates me beyound belief-I also cant stand people who speak like him either

he is to me like sharp nails on a blackboard-thats how annoying his urdu is

"Admin" wrote:
"naj" wrote:

He is way too slow.

LOL..i thought i waz the only 1....i can say more but i think its best to shutup..lol false pauses ......oh dnt remind me

wh ... at sha ... all ... I ... [smile for 3 seconds] ... not ... [breathe] ... remind ... you ... ... of?

oh yea lemme just say his naat voice is ok u know. my mum likes his naats or whateva they called what he tends to do on his programme, once again he can sometimes go propa off the hook.

"Admin" wrote:
wh ... at sha ... all ... I ... [smile for 3 seconds] ... not ... [breathe] ... remind ... you ... ... of?

oiiii...... Lol im looking forward for his nxt programme lol....im gonna try not to laugh.

try a false pause during laughter.

hahah haa ... hahaha

he is urdu speaking muhajir, they spk a different type of urdu to the punjabis.

Karachi is full of urdu speakers, and that man is a man of altaf husseins jama'at, no wonder he is a gud actor.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Darth V-Hayder" wrote:
get married then Smile

phew, not the only non-mp then.........not discriminating or creating a divide!.....but its for equal opportuniyt purposes Smile

im frooooooom...............town near faisalabad

snap! im from nr faislabaad too, and got family in lahore.

i got a book yesterday, learn urdu in 2 months. dya think it will work?

ps. you think urdu is hard? try speaking welsh- my sister is fluent, it sounds like gobbledeegook to me

Pages