Fact of the Day

Basically, you have to share an ISLAM related fact. Everyone, everyday, or atleast one per day.

In 18hrs and 32 minutes, no one could come up with ONE Islam related fact? disappointing people. disappointing.

I'll start off then.

We have been told the Judgement Day will be in the month of Muharram and on a Friday, also on this day the sun will rise from the West and set from the East.

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

I didn't know that.

(but since the day of judgement would after the whole universe would have been anihilated and recreated, east and west would be small matters I would guess.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You wrote:
I didn't know that.

GOOD. thats the whole point of this thread, to teach each other! so everyone better participate!

Smile

"How many people find fault in what they're reading and the fault is in their own understanding" Al Mutanabbi

Honey in relation to remedies has a place in history ...mentioned in the qur'an and hadith.

'And thy Lord taught the bee to build its cells in hills, on trees and in (men's) habitations..... there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colours, wherein is healing for mankind. Verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought'.
(Translation of Quran 16:68-69)

In addition, the Prophet (PBUH) said:

'Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Qur'an is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Qur'an and honey.'
(Bukhari)

''The ancient Egyptians, Assyrians, Chinese, Greeks and Romans employed honey for wounds and diseases of the gut. When the Children of Israel were in Egypt or journeying through the desert, their promised goal was a 'land flowing with milk and honey'.''

You should drink water sitting down and in three sips. Obviously beginning with Bismillah and after the first sip say "Alhamulillah". After the second sip say 'Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-'Aalamin and after the final sip say 'Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-'Aalamin Ar-Rahmaanir-Rahiim.

There are also hadith that say mention drinking it standing up.

No idea their chronology though, so cannot say if the sitting down one came first or later.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i thought that was just for Zamzam water?

Suhail wrote:
When the Children of Israel were in Egypt or journeying through the desert, their promised goal was a 'land flowing with milk and honey'.''

Fair point, but the jewish believe that this phrase is used to mean fertile land because a land with milk would mean there is grass for cows to graze on and flowers for bee's to use pollen to create their honey, I dont think its as applicable as it may seem.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Or they were provided with Mana from heaven...

You wrote:
Or they were provided with Mana from heaven...

whats that?

(and Salwa)

ok tnx

Although the Quraish didn't believe Muhammad(Saw) was the Prophet of Allah swt, they still trusted him enough to let them look after their belongings and still thought of him as being Muhammad Al Ameen!! (Muhammad the trustworthy)

The shariah counsel of britain allows organ donation - thats news to me.

ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
...Although the Quraish didn't believe Muhammad(Saw) was the Prophet of Allah swt...

Actually, many did. Which was why their kufr was worse (and real kufr as opposed to not believing).

There is the story of Abu Sufyan hiring an assassin to kill the Prophet, giving the instructions to not approach from the front, do not look at the prophet (saw), do not let the prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) know he was approaching, to not even listen to the prophet (saw).

And then there was the disinformation campaign - telling people to not even talk to the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) because they knew it was the truth and if people spoke to the prophet (saw), they would know it too.

You wrote:
ThE pOwEr Of SiLeNcE wrote:
...Although the Quraish didn't believe Muhammad(Saw) was the Prophet of Allah swt...

Actually, many did. Which was why their kufr was worse (and real kufr as opposed to not believing).

yeah should have specified - was talking about those who didn't

'if you hear the crow of a roaster,ask Allah for his bounty for it has seen an angel and if you hear the braying of asses or the barking of dogs at night, seek refuge in Allah for they see what you do not.'hadith muslim and Al Bukhari

Did you know that the Prophet's (pbuh) favorite colour was green (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam)?

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said, "The most beloved colour to the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alayhe wa sallam) was green."

greens my favourite colour too ... Smile

It is prohibited to play chess.

Book 28, Number 5612:
Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said : He who played chess is like one who dyed his band with the flesh and blood of swine.

Book 28, Number 5611:
Abd 'Sa'id Khudri reported: We were going with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him). As we reached the place (known as) 'Arj there met (us) a poet who had been reciting a poem. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said : Catch the satan or detain the satan, for filling the belly of a person with pus is better than stuffing his brain with poetry.

Blue wrote:
It is prohibited to play chess.

Book 28, Number 5612:
Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said : He who played chess is like one who dyed his band with the flesh and blood of swine.

`Ali and Ibn `Umar - Allah be well-pleased with them - detested it because of those who neglected worship due to it and because of the gambling and betting involved. The Faqih of Madina, al-Qasim ibn Muhammad - Allah be well-pleased with him - said: "All that distracts from remembrance of Allah and Salat is dice (maysar)."

Otherwise, al-Nawawi said "In our school it is makruh, not haram, and this is the position reported from a number of the Tabi`in" while al-Qurtubi said in his Tafsir, it is permitted once in a while without being disliked according to the vast majority of the Fuqaha' and despite the misleading words of Ibn Kathir in his Tafsir, "Malik, Abu Hanifa, and Ahmad stipulated that chess is haram while al-Shafi`i disliked it" and the even more misleading prohibition in the unverified editions of al-Dhahabi's al-Kaba'ir presently in circulation.

It is established that Abu Hurayra (who entered Islam in the year 7 after the Hijra) and others of the pious Salaf played chess - but not as an all-consuming activity. In the final analysis the correct position in the matter seems that of Imam al-Shafi`i - Allah be well-pleased with him - who said: "It is disliked and not forbidden, for a number of the Companions played it and countless of the Tabi`in and those after them" - such as Sa`id ibn al-Musayyib, Sa`id ibn Jubayr, Muhammad ibn Sirin, Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir, `Urwa ibn al-Zubayr and his son Hisham, Sulayman ibn Yasar, Abu Wa'il, al-Sha`bi, al-Hasan al-Basri, `Ali ibn al-Hasan ibn `Ali, Ja`far ibn Muhammad, Ibn Shihab al-Zuhri, Rabi`a, `Ata'... [Ibn `Abd al-Barr, al-Tamhid (13:181)] - while the Hafiz Ibn Hajar said: "There is not one firmly-established narration to prohibit chess, neither sahih nor hasan." [Fayd al-Qadir.]

Note: The hadith "Whoever plays chess and dice is as one who dipped his hand in swine's blood" is inauthentic. The correct wording does not mention chess but only dice, narrated from Burayda by Imam Muslim in his Sahih.

Anonymous1 wrote:

Note: The hadith "Whoever plays chess and dice is as one who dipped his hand in swine's blood" is inauthentic. The correct wording does not mention chess but only dice, narrated from Burayda by Imam Muslim in his Sahih.

Proof? i got the above hadith from Sahih Muslim.

You wrote:
Fact of the day: its hot.

it's cold!

Blue wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

It seems like she is talking about a different hadith, one which you did not mention.

hmm i thought i read that :S nvm

Maybe you did?

You wrote:
Blue wrote:
Anonymous1 wrote:

It seems like she is talking about a different hadith, one which you did not mention.

The hadith in Muslim does not mention chess - read the original text - no mention of shatranj - it's talking about a game of dice that involved chance etc

حدثني ‏ ‏زهير بن حرب ‏ ‏حدثنا ‏ ‏عبد الرحمن بن مهدي ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏سفيان ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏علقمة بن مرثد ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏سليمان بن بريدة ‏ ‏عن ‏ ‏أبيه ‏
‏أن النبي ‏ ‏صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ ‏قال ‏ ‏من لعب ‏ ‏بالنردشير ‏ ‏فكأنما صبغ يده في لحم خنزير ودمه

Thus you should be careful of using English translations to come to conclusions - the translation is incorrect.

So..we are not allowed to play chess.

You wrote:
Fact of the day: its hot.

The rule of this thread is to have an islamically related fact.

Nope - looks like there is no problem with chess...

Pages