Being Mates With Non Muslims

Salaam

What’s wrong with it?

Editors editorial in the latest issue of the Revival touched on this issue…

He said “When was the last time you invited a non Muslim to your house? When was the last time you tried to explain to a non Muslim about your beliefs and lifestyle? When was the last time you went out of your way to help a non Muslim? When was the last time you gave a non-Muslim an Islamic leaflet, magazine or even the Quran? When was the last time you invited a non Muslim to your mosque or an Islamic event? I hope some of you will say 'I have', but sadly it's not the majority. So what do you expect from the non Muslims in this country if they don't understand us or think that we're a bit weird”

Someone told me that there’s a verse in the Holy Qur’an that states that one should not be “friends” with the Jews and Christian.

I would love to hear a scholarly interpretation of the word “friend” that is mentioned in that verse….

I have many non Muslim mates in Uni…they’re fascinated with Islam…most of our discussions revolve round Islam.

I am close mates with many “on-the-verge of converting” type of non Muslims.

And wasn’t our Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) sent as a “mercy to MANKIND”….He Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was a Mercy to everyone…. In his kindness and fair treatment He did not make any difference between the believers and non-believers. He was kind to the pagans of Makkah and fought them only when they fought him. He made treaties with the Jews of Madinah and honored the treaties until they broke them….

I’m sick and tired of hearing certain Muslims talk about how “dirty” non Muslims are…..I know of Mosques who have the nerve to ban non Muslims from entering…

I was even told that it is “haraam” to give charity to non Muslims?!!

And IF friendship between Muslims and Jews or Christians was totally haram and if they really were as “dirty” as some make them out to be, then why would Islam allow a Muslim man to marry a Jew or Christian woman?

IF we totally cut ourselves of from non Muslims…if we perceive them as being “dirty”…if we refuse access to the Mosques etc…why on Earth would they want to convert and/or learn more about Islam?

And why don’t Mosques open their doors and encourage non Muslims to come and learn about Islam?

What’s your relationship like with non Muslims?

Share your thoughts….

Wasalaam

great topic Muslim Sister. having worked and gone to school with non muslims all our lives most of us have many non muslim friends. these friends have always been interested in Islam and we do oblige them

however there are some who would say it is not our business to educate them but i would disagree

in todays climate it is our duty to inform and educate them no matter how annoying it gets having to repeat things

i find that non muslims on the whole are genuinely interested and they really do not have any ulterior motives in questioning us

the media has to an extent played with their minds but when they hear the truth from us they are receptive to it

salaam
the majority of my friends are non muslims both from uni and my old college. I find that i have more in common with non muslims than muslims. The reason for this could be that i wasn't really brought up in a asian populated area, i even went to a church of england primary school. The majority of non muslims in my opinion are interested in islam and would like to know more but are scared to ask in case we get offended, this i know for a fact as one of my friends told me out right but i told her wots there to be offended? Most non muslims if they knew more about islam would convert and i think it is our job to educate them, becuase if we don't who will, after all it was our parents and other muslims who brought us up and taught us about islam. Who else can the non muslims ask if not their muslim friends?

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Truthfully i have been raised up with asain ppl, but having said however i dont have anythin against non-muslims, i have a mate who aint muslim and when i talk bout islam she enjoys it, also she loves looking at pics which hold islamic significance..

Also we once had this jew boy in our class and i can honestly say i have never seen sum1 treat a girl with so much respect, he used to be soo polite and always kept his gaze lowered and amazingly enough he converted into islam, may Allah (swt) keep him on the right path.

Mashallah.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

many non-muslims have a very misguided view of us through the media
the more non-muslim freinds we make , the more we can teach and correct them

At the same time becoming friends does not mean goin down the local for a pint.

You can have non-muslim acquaintances, but you must stick to your islamic principles.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Yep true, you cant justify doin dawah by adapting the lifestyle (ie drinking/clubbin) of your non-muslim friends, which is why you can educate them as to why islam forbids drink and free-mixing. People are genuniely curious.

sure, people dont get influence by non-muslim freinds
it may appear they have more fun than you since they follow no religion they allowed to drink,dress,illicit relationships,clubs ect
we cant do those acts because there not for our benefit but dont preach all the time or have no humour , you will find they no longer want to be your freinds

"Raf786" wrote:
sure, people dont get influence by non-muslim freinds
it may appear they have more fun than you since they follow no religion they allowed to drink,dress,illicit relationships,clubs ect
we cant do those acts because there not for our benefit but dont preach all the time or have no humour , you will find they no longer want to be your freinds

Islam aint about being boring, you can have fun and have a laugh also haveing a sense of humour is good and nor is it forbidden.

no pints? :oops:

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Salam

There is nothing wrong with having friends of any religion.

Prophet had friends from among Jews as well as Christians.

Islam is a very tolerant relgion. It does not accept racism or discrimination of any type.

I have even atheists as my friends.

By the way, good topic lady.

Omrow

according to the narrow minded lot-its HARAAM to befriend the "dirty" kafir :roll: :roll:

but like it has already been pointed out-how come Islam allows Muslim men to wed jew and christian women

"MuslimSister" wrote:
Salaam

What’s wrong with it?

He said “When was the last time you invited a non Muslim to your house? When was the last time you tried to explain to a non Muslim about your beliefs and lifestyle? When was the last time you went out of your way to help a non Muslim? When was the last time you gave a non-Muslim an Islamic leaflet, magazine or even the Quran? When was the last time you invited a non Muslim to your mosque or an Islamic event? I hope some of you will say 'I have', but sadly it's not the majority. So what do you expect from the non Muslims in this country if they don't understand us or think that we're a bit weird”

Someone told me that there’s a verse in the Holy Qur’an that states that one should not be “friends” with the Jews and Christian.

I would love to hear a scholarly interpretation of the word “friend” that is mentioned in that verse….

I have many non Muslim mates in Uni…they’re fascinated with Islam…most of our discussions revolve round Islam.

I am close mates with many “on-the-verge of converting” type of non Muslims.

And wasn’t our Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) sent as a “mercy to MANKIND”….He Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was a Mercy to everyone…. In his kindness and fair treatment He did not make any difference between the believers and non-believers. He was kind to the pagans of Makkah and fought them only when they fought him. He made treaties with the Jews of Madinah and honored the treaties until they broke them….

I’m sick and tired of hearing certain Muslims talk about how “dirty” non Muslims are…..I know of Mosques who have the nerve to ban non Muslims from entering…

I was even told that it is “haraam” to give charity to non Muslims?!!

And IF friendship between Muslims and Jews or Christians was totally haram and if they really were as “dirty” as some make them out to be, then why would Islam allow a Muslim man to marry a Jew or Christian woman?

IF we totally cut ourselves of from non Muslims…if we perceive them as being “dirty”…if we refuse access to the Mosques etc…why on Earth would they want to convert and/or learn more about Islam?

And why don’t Mosques open their doors and encourage non Muslims to come and learn about Islam?

What’s your relationship like with non Muslims?

Share your thoughts….

Wasalaam

[b]Does Islam Forbid Befriending non-Muslims?[/b]

Question
A Greek Christian friend of mine came to me and said that he wanted a book that guides him to the way a man should live. I handed him a copy of the Qur'an. He took deep interest in reading it until he came across the following verse: “O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust.” (Al-Ma’dah: 51)

Reading the verse, he asked "why is that so?" Why is your book telling you that we can't be your friends? Does that mean I can't be your friend? And at his request I am seeking help from you to throw some light on it. I am too confused by this. And if that is so then why does Islam allow us to marry Christian and Jewish girls (Despite the fact they might not want to change their religion.) Please reply soon.

Answer:
Name of Mufti Muzammil Siddiqi
Wa`alaykum As-Salaamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

In The Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, thank you very much for having confidence in us, and we hope our efforts, which are purely for Allah's Sake, meet your expectations.

In his response to the question, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America, states the following:

“The Qur'an does not say that non-Muslims cannot be Muslims' friends, nor does it forbid Muslims to be friendly to non-Muslims. There are many non-Muslims who are good friends of Muslim individuals and the Muslim community. There are also many good Muslims who truly and sincerely observe their faith and are very friendly to many non-Muslims at the same time.

Islam teaches us that we should be friendly to all people. Islam teaches us that we should deal even with our enemies with justice and fairness. Allah says in the Qur'an in the beginning of the same Surat Al-Ma’dah: “O you who believe! Stand out firmly for Allah as witnesses to fair dealings and let not the hatred of others to you make you swerve to wrong and depart from justice. Be just, that is next to piety. Fear Allah, indeed Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do.” (Al-Ma’dah :8)

In another place in the Qur'an, Allah Almighty says:

“Allah forbids you not with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them. For Allah loves those who are just. Allah only forbids you with regard to those who fight you for your faith, and drive you out of your homes and support others in driving you out, from turning to them for protection (or taking them as wali). Those who seek their protection they are indeed wrong- doers.” (Al-Mumtahinah: 8-9)

Moreover, Allah Almighty has described Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, as "a mercy" to the worlds. He was a sign of Allah's Mercy to all, Muslims as well as non-Muslims. In his kindness and fair treatment he did not make any difference between the believers and non-believers. He was kind to the pagans of Makkah and fought them only when they fought him. He made treaties with the Jews of Madinah and honored the treaties until they broke them.

He, peace and blessings be upon him, is reported to have received the Christians of Najran with kindness in his Masjid in Madinah. They argued with him about Islam, but he returned them with honor and respect. There are many examples from his life that show that he was the friendliest person to all people.

In the verse you quoted, the word "Awliya" is used. It is a plural and its singular is "wali". The correct translation of the word ""wali"" is not "friend" but it is someone who is very close and intimate. It is also used to mean "guardian, protector, patron, lord and master".

In the Qur'an this word is used for God, such as “Allah is the Protector (or Lord and Master) of those who believe. He takes them out from the depths of darkness to light…” (Al- Baqarah: 257)

There are many other references in the Qur'an that give this meaning. The same word is also sometimes used in the Qur'an for human beings, such as “And whosoever is killed unjustly, We have granted his next kin "wali" the authority (to seek judgement or punishment in this case)…”(Al-‘Isra' :33)

The correct translation of the verse in Surat Al-Ma’idah is: “O you who believe! Do not take Jews and Christians as your patrons. They are patrons of their own people. He among you who will turn to them for patronage is one of them. Verily Allah guides not a people unjust.” (Al-Ma'dah :51)

It is obvious that Jews patronize the Jews and Christians patronize the Christians, so why not Muslims patronize Muslims and support their own people. This verse is not telling us to be against Jews or Christians, but it is telling us that we should take care of our own people and we must support each other.

In his Tafsir, (Qur’an exegesis) Imam Ibn Kathir has mentioned that some scholars say that this verse (i.e. the one you referred to) was revealed after the Battle of Uhud when Muslims had a set back. At that time, a Muslim from Madinah said, "I am going to live with Jews so I shall be safe in case another attack comes on Madinah." And another person said, "I am going to live with Christians so I shall be safe in case another attack comes on Madinah." So Allah revealed this verse reminding the believers that they should not seek the protection from others, but should protect each other. (See Ibn Kathir, Al-Tafsir, vol. 2, p. 68)

Muslims are allowed to have non-Muslims as friends as long as they keep their own faith and commitment to Islam pure and strong. You are correct in pointing out that a Muslim man is also allowed to marry a Jewish or Christian woman. It is obvious that one marries someone for love and friendship. If friendship between Muslims and Jews or Christians was forbidden, then why would Islam allow a Muslim man to marry a Jew or Christian woman? It is the duty of Muslims to patronize Muslims. They should not patronize any one who is against their faith or who fights their faith, even if they were their fathers and brothers. Allah says: “O you who believe! Take not for protectors (awliya') your fathers and your brothers if they love unbelief above faith. If any of you do so, they are indeed wrong-doers.” (Al-Tawbah : 23)

In a similar way, the Qur'an also tells Muslims that they should never patronize the non-Muslims against other Muslims. However, if some Muslims do wrong to some non-Muslims, it is Muslims's duty to help the non-Muslims and save them from oppression . The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said that he himself will defend a Dhimmi living among Muslims to whom injustice is done by Muslims. But Islam also teaches that Muslims should not seek the patronage of non-Muslims against other Muslims. They should try to solve their problems among themselves. Allah Almighty says, “Let not the Believers take the unbelievers as their patrons over against the Believers…” (Aal-'Imran :28)

He Almighty also says: “O you who believe! Take not for patrons unbelievers rather than Believers. Do you wish to offer Allah an open proof against yourselves?” (An-Nisaa’:144)

May Allah guide you to the straight path, and guide you to that which pleases Him, Amen.

Allah Almighty knows best.

"MuslimSister" wrote:

[b]SO.... LETS ALL ANSWER THE ABOVE QUESTIONS...SHALL WE?[/b]

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
"MuslimSister" wrote:

[b]SO.... LETS ALL ANSWER THE ABOVE QUESTIONS...SHALL WE?[/b]

I'll answer Mr Ed's Q Dirol

1-non Muslims often come to our house-they're my sisters on the verge of converting mates

2-obvioulsy when they come to our house mum/sis tries to expain Islam to them...and when people at Uni ask I try to explain stuff to them...and my driving instructor is an non Muslim...she's full of prejudices and misconceptions about Islam :evil:

3-we have an old non Muslim lady that lives across the road-we sumtimes help her out

4-i reg give out Islamic lit/mag to non Muslims

5-i have never invited a nonMuslim to a programme-but last sunday someone else did and he converted Blum 3

what makes me laugh is how some crazy muslims see non Muslims as the "enemy" and what makes me angry is when certain muslims REJOICE at the death of inncocent non Muslims :evil:

so Mr ED why dont YOU answer the Q now

Salaam

An Awliya (can’t remember his name at the moment) used to bothered by his Jewish neighbour.

The non Muslims waste products used to fall in his house daily, however the Wali used to make no comment and would clean up the mess daily…a year down the line the non Muslim was so impressed by the tolerance and patience of the Wali that he accepted Islam…

In other words even after the sewage of his Jewish neighbour dropped in his house the Wali still never called him “dirty”.

Another one of our pious predecessors Ibn Mubarak would not feed or clothe his own children until he had fed and clothed the children of his non Muslims neighbour.

We have numerous examples from the life of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) when he manifested patience, tolerance and compassion towards the non Muslims, even after they abused him and as a result they accepted Islam.

Wasalaam

Soo true muslimsis, i mean who are we to treat non-muslims in a bad way or declare them as "dirty kafir" when our own beloved Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and other great personalities treated them with great compassion and were very tolerant towards them?

It is our duty to be nice to non-muslims and attract them towards Islam not to make them run away, that is what our ummah is lackin, patience/tolerance and understanding of the non-muslims.

Salaam

Once the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was seated in Madinah, along with his Companions. During this time a funeral procession passed by. On seeing this, the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) stood up. One of his Companion remarked that the funeral was that of a Jew. The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) replied, “Was he not a human being?”

This is a stark contrast to the many Muslims behaviour today…there are some who perceive Jews as “the enemy” and in more extreme circumstances you get some who have the nerve to rejoice at the death of innocent non Muslims.

In another incident the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) once borrowed some money from a Jew. After a few days the Jew came to demand payment of his debt.

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) told him that at that moment he had nothing to pay him with. The Jew said that he wouldn’t let him go until he had paid him back. And so the Jew stayed there, from morning till night, holding the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) captive. At that time the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was the established ruler of Madina and could have easily taken action against him.

His Companions naturally wanted to rebuke the man and chase him away. But the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) forbade this, saying, “Allah (swt) has forbidden us to wrong anyone.” The Jew continued to hold the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) captive until the following morning. By morning the Jew was so moved by the Holy Prophet’s Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) tolerance, that he embraced Islam. In spite of being a rich man, he had detained the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) the day before on account of a few pence. But now the Holy Prophet’s Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) noble conduct had had such an impact on him that he was willing to give all his wealth to the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) saying, “Spend it as you please.”

The “Them and Us” mentality wasn’t present in the time of the Holy Prophet (saw)….even though the non Muslims at that time were open in their hatred for the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) and His message.

Wasalaam

I went to primary school which was mixed and then went to secondary school which was also mixed. At primary I might have had one gora frend but at secondary no way. I spoke to them sometimes abt some stuff but to be honest didnt really have much in common with them. My 2ndry skul was private skul but that didnt make me mix with them. I kept muslims as my close friends and gore were sometimes I wud say acquantices.

Thats not to say I hated them. I had a laugh sometimes with them but to be honest I dont get them. I dont understand what it is they are about. Same at uni.

Some of the muslims get on with the gore more than apne, they sit by gore, talk freely with them etc. I cudnt do that cos I wudnt kn what to say. I dnt like sitting by them and only talk when it is relevant or a must in ordr not to be seen as rude or insulting. But really, WHAT is a person supposed to talk to them about?

I ges i live in a parallel life to them. NEVER have i brought a gora home, i had a hindu friend who was alright but wudnt call him to my home.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
But really, WHAT is a person supposed to talk to them about?

islam

the weather

current affairs

uni work

increase n price of milk

:roll:

"Med" wrote:

Some of the muslims get on with the gore more than apne, they sit by gore, talk freely with them etc. I cudnt do that cos I wudnt kn what to say. I dnt like sitting by them and only talk when it is relevant or a must in ordr not to be seen as rude or insulting. But really, WHAT is a person supposed to talk to them about?

In my old work place there were a lot of white people who used to talk bout drinkin/clubbin etc but then there were other people who wouldn't even mention it and talked on a more general level, i got on with these ppl as they were intereted in islam too.

You got to just share what you have in common and put aside your differences and just explain to them why islam says "this" or "that" about certain things and they normaly say "that makes sense", they just lack understanding.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

increase n price of milk

for shame..

Btw Med out of curiousity your muslim friends, are they mainly pakistanis (or from the sub-continent)?

I'm not trying to be offensive but I think maybe the reason you're so unfamiliar with gore is because you are very culturaly pakistani, whereas they are culturally not. Just a thougt.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

goray can be muslims

they could be interested in Islam and our ways

they could be potential converts

whether as a result of you, or something you give them....and maybe down the years they may click

to not associate and draw their attention would be unfortunate

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

The way everybody is talk'in you only make non muslim frinds to convert them. Nowt wrong with it but why can't you just be frinds with them coz they are good to get on wiv, why do you feel the need to convert them. Some Non muslims respect islam even if they don't believe in it. On the other hand some dont.

no-one says you have to

but it wouldnt do any harm to try....only if it were right tho, i accept some cases its best not to

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Dawud" wrote:

Btw Med out of curiousity your muslim friends, are they mainly pakistanis (or from the sub-continent)?

I'm not trying to be offensive but I think maybe the reason you're so unfamiliar with gore is because you are very culturaly pakistani, whereas they are culturally not. Just a thougt.

Yes most of my muslim friends were pakistanis before I went to uni, now alhamdulillah I am REALLY pleased to say ALLAH has made libyan, moroccon, turkish, saudi, somali, kenyan, sudanese as my muslim brothers aswell.

Thats one thing I love abt uni, its given me a chance to meet muslims from other parts of the world. There is one shafi'ee somali brother at uni, and subhanALLAH he has the most beautiful character EVER. I also had bengalis as mates from b4.

Its not that I dnt want to talk to gore, but I just dnt knw what to say. I knw u say, just make general convo. I try that but it doesnt go anywhere other than how u settlilng in, u from sheffield etc. K c u later. and next time i c em i jus nod and ask alright?

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Naz" wrote:
The way everybody is talk'in you only make non muslim frinds to convert them. Nowt wrong with it but why can't you just be frinds with them coz they are good to get on wiv, why do you feel the need to convert them. Some Non muslims respect islam even if they don't believe in it. On the other hand some dont.

I would not like my friends to burn in hell. At the same time I know it is their choice to believe. (and I aint much of a preacher... I rarely do any).

If you don't want them to convert, they are acquaintances, not friends.

most of our mates are "gore"

thats cos unlike Paki's they have good manners they are reliable/dependable and dont let u down

If your gore mates want to convert then thats a good thing, ain't nowt wrong with it. But one shouldn't force or pressure one to become a muslim. They should out of their own freewill.

"Naz" wrote:
If your gore mates want to convert then thats a good thing, ain't nowt wrong with it. But one shouldn't force or pressure one to become a muslim. They should out of their own freewill.

Most of them will not want to.

And the term should not be goray or gore, but 'non-mulim', as religion has no colour. (just something general for all posters to consider).

They may not even want to think about religion. At hte same time you must satisfy your own heart. If you wanna chat about Islam, do so, but as a person, not a preacher. They may like it. They may not. Their choice.

Pages