If you were gonna die...

... For definite in one minute - no longer no shorter. what would you do?

1 hour?

1 Day?

Would you sleep? would you relax? would you be praying all the time or would you sit with family/friends?

1 week?

1 month?

Would you go to work? Would you be angry? would you show annoyance?

1 year?

2 years?

Would you go for a holiday? would you try to save up money?

10 years?

20 years?

50 years?

At what points would your priorities change when dealing with faith and the world? Would you be waiting for the end?

In real life we do not know how long we have. So from the above, which do you use as a guide?

i feel as if i am going to live forever.

If you had the choice to find out exactly when and how you'd die, would you want to know?

I certainly wouldn't.

There's a film about that (sort of).

Don't just do something! Stand there.

why did that post twice? i swear i clicked post once. it happened before on other thread too

yaqs, why u edit ur post?

There was a double post. I deleted one... but Ya'qub has edited the second one to become a different post.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

i would love to know even if i had some kind of terminal disease! i would want to repent and hug my family and everything

Ohhh good one!

You wrote:
... For definite in one minute - no longer no shorter. what would you do?

Say the kalimah and then meditate.

Quote:

1 hour?

Tie up any Qazas I had to do. Say bye and leave some last words then meditate.

Quote:

1 Day?

Same as above. Probably meditate outdoors, somewhere nice.

Quote:

Would you sleep? would you relax? would you be praying all the time or would you sit with family/friends?

Mainly I'd relax. I think relaxation would help me to focus more on hope, and they say, the awareness of imminent death focuses the mind wonderfully. I'd be like "So long world. You took your best shot at me, and I gave some back. Now it's on to the real stuff."

Quote:

1 week?

Relax. Meditate. Comfort family.

Quote:

1 month?

Spend the first week making preperations for death and then forget I'm going to die and carry on as normal.

Quote:

Would you go to work? Would you be angry? would you show annoyance?

Wouldn't go to work, unless I had a month or more to live...and a job.

Quote:

1 year?

Make preperations for a week and then carry on as normal. Maybe write a book.

Quote:

2 years?

Make preperations for two days and then carry on as normal. Possibably write a book.

Quote:

Would you go for a holiday? would you try to save up money?

I'd do what felt good and sound at the time.

Quote:

10 years?

Take life with greater calm and sincerity. Appreciate its transience and work on perfecting my existance/character within it.

Quote:

20 years?

I suppose that's me now. So, meditate and try to be more soulful than demonic...and carry on as normal.

Quote:

50 years?

Am I really going to live for another 50 years. A part of me hopes not, then another part of me says maybe that would be wonderful. Basically I'll put my effort into living well in the next 5 years and let the '50' take care of itself.

Quote:

At what points would your priorities change when dealing with faith and the world? Would you be waiting for the end?

Probably at the 10 years stage. Think of it this way. "The docs say I only have 10 years to live? Thats about 3000 days when I could get hit by a bus!"

Quote:

In real life we do not know how long we have. So from the above, which do you use as a guide?

Somewhere between the hour and 50 years.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Noor wrote:
i feel as if i am going to live forever.

So far so good...

Biggrin

Back in BLACK

that would make them even more unhappy, after you've died that is. wouldn't that be worse then?

Would you not that they died old and happy long before?

I read a news story a few years ago about a 90+ year old couple from India getting a divorce.

When asked why they waited for so long, they answered they were waiting for their kids to die first.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

wednesday wrote:
Atleast I won't be alive to witness that :roll: (I know I can be selfish)

OR I can only say, whatever comes my way with a *shrug*

you are saying that now but i doubt that will happen and you will feel different.

and please attempt the questions as a whole instead of just one of the ages. (no need to do them all)

(Thanks Dawud!)

Personally one of the best talks about death.

Your Last Day on Earth

">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eudHJlCNxIQ]

Listening to it (It's 46 mins long so no idea if I will get always through it)... Why does the guy start randomly shouting and then going into a more graver voice?

IMO it is not realistic to live every day as if it was your last.

Time and its passage IMO gives and takes meaning from you. Hence my original post asking many questions.

You wrote:
Listening to it (It's 46 mins long so no idea if I will get always through it)... Why does the guy start randomly shouting and then going into a more graver voice?

That's what I like about him, his voice constantly keeps on changing. But if you can't listen to all of it then make sure you listen to the stories of the people of the past, esp. the story of Harun Rashid and the man.

You wrote:
IMO it is not realistic to live every day as if it was your last.

It is possible, and this is one of the reasons why many pious people of the past were successful. As long as you're spending your time doing some good, even if it is a little then no doubt you're spending your time usefully.

Well past that bit. Gonna switch off now (last words being "no means of comfort").

id go to all my friends and tell them im going to die and tell them to pray for me and make sure they read quran so i can have it when im dead. i wouldnt tell my mommy because she'd start crying and make me cry. but i might tell my cousin and tell him that after i die i want to smell pizza at the qatam.

I'm curious about death. To paraphrase Kerouac somewhat vaguely, perhaps people yearn for a return to the snugness and innocence we knew in the womb, but we first press on through thick and thin to make this life worth something. If you ever get depressed it's useful to remember that contemplating death might be a universal aspect of the human condition, not a personal and tragic symptom of any malaise.

I believe if I were facing imminent death I would make lots and lots of notes about my feelings and what I want to do, and then I have no idea if I would do it but to improve my character I shall proffer that I would stop procrastinating over everyone I would like to help, all the people I would like to meet, and all the wild things I would like to accomplish by way of a legacy.

Ya'qub wrote:
If you had the choice to find out exactly when and how you'd die, would you want to know?

I certainly wouldn't.

There's a film about that (sort of).

I would like to know that. I'm curious about everything.
  • It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

would you like to die sitting on the toilet?

shows what kind of person you are.

me.

not.

it is a humiliating way to die. there is stuff on this subject.

wednesday wrote:
Noor wrote:

Is there a point in thinking like that? I mean you're still gonna die. So I don't see how the manner of death should affect your will.

I would rather it be quick and painless that slow and painful if that matters...

You wrote:
wednesday wrote:
Noor wrote:

Is there a point in thinking like that? I mean you're still gonna die. So I don't see how the manner of death should affect your will.

I would rather it be quick and painless that slow and painful if that matters...

it doesn't matter how painful, slow, quick, long it is.

the angel of death appears in two forms, depending on how good/bad you were, the angel will appear accordingly.

and for a bad person, it aint a pretty sight.

one of the prophets fainted when they saw the appearance, think it was musa (as) or was it ibrahim (as)?

Yes I do know - but it's a sense that I would like to avoid as much as possible.

Muslim Sister wrote a great about this.

Great topic Admin

I think knowing about death kinds of defeats the purpose of us being put into this world and being tested. Many people would do what they want and repent before they died.

I wouldnt want to know when I die because I might just do good deeds because I knew my time was near thus my intentions wouldnt be true.

If I did know I was dying then I would spend more time with my parents/hubby and rest of family, remeber Allah (SWT) and the Beloved Prophet (SAW) every second of my life.

Joie de Vivre wrote:
Muslim Sister wrote a great about this.

Hey! I wrote half of it and didn't get a mention! Hmph.

My dad was told he had a month to live. This was (IMO) perfect, because A) it wasn't (such) a long and drawn out, painful death and Dirol It was long enough to get all his 'affairs' in order and for all his friends to come and visit him to say goodbye, and no1 had any regrets of 'not having the chance to tell him everything' etc.

ftr not only did Yaq'ub put all the blue headlines, capital letters, paragraph breaks, punctuation and spaces into Muslim Sister's previously unreadable article, he has probably more than anyone on the site gone off and done half the things on the list.

Pages