Terror in Mumbai.

Mumbai rocked by deadly attacks

Gunmen have opened fire at a number of sites in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay), killing at least 80 people and injuring about 200 more.

Police said shooting was continuing and that the incidents were co-ordinated terrorist attacks. Gunmen have taken hostages at two hotels and a hospital.

At least seven sites have been targeted across India's financial capital.

A fire is sweeping through the Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai's most famous hotel which is now ringed by troops. ...

These attacks seem to be more coordinated.

They did take the people in charge of anti terrorist operations as a first step (including the HQ I think).

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

You will need to be more clear about the species of fish you are finding... fishy.

I am interested in whether Pakistan will be blamed in any way for this (and whether it actually has a hand in it...)

Could be an extremist Hindu faction, could be a separatist Muslim faction. Could be someone trying to jumps on the recently rolling again Kashmir saga... or it could be something totally different.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I am clueless as to what you mean.

I only dabble in international affairs and mostly have a less than superficial overview of the happenings.

Salam

"Indian Muslims Attack Their Own City of Mumbai. Motives Still Unknown."

That is what the headlines should say. Accurate and non-biased.

But will we ever see media acting fairly towards the idea of honest reporting?

Omrow

Omrow wrote:
Salam

"Indian Muslims Attack Their Own City of Mumbai. Motives Still Unknown."

That is what the headlines should say. Accurate and non-biased.

But will we ever see media acting fairly towards the idea of honest reporting?

Omrow

Firstly, we don't know if they were Muslims, some Hindu militants have also been arrested. Look, let's not do this in a state of moral panic, this is what they want us to do.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Mawlana Jalal ud Din Rumi

Salam

Mumbai terrorists were "cool" - British paper

The article was written by Duncan Campbell and Paul Lewis
And Randeep Ramesh in Mumbai.
guardian.co.uk, Friday November 28 2008 00.01 GMT
The Guardian, Friday November 28 2008

The Guardian newspaper in Britain is one of the top papers in Europe.

Its Friday headline called Mumbai terrorists "cool".

What is this world coming to.

They killed and killed. They were "cool".

This could be taken as a praise for terrorism.

Omrow

Salam

The Lamp wrote:

we don't know if they were Muslims,
some Hindu militants have also been arrested.
Look, let's not do this in a state of moral panic,
this is what they want us to do.

Excellent points.

Lamp has shed some valuable light on this atrocity.

Omrow

new suggestions are that atleast some of the terrorists were British born Pakistanis.

We really are a disease, aren't we?

I was under the impression that the rifts between pakistan and india were cooling down and there wasnt as much animosity between them as before.

What happened is so sad. Inalillah hi wa ina ilayhi rajioon.

I want to know exactly what is going through the minds of these terrorists and exactly how they think they can justify their actions.

What scares me about this attack that it was so random and nothing could have been done to prevent this. I hope nothing like this ever happens in the UK.

I was listening to the radio today and they said the attacks were aimed at British and American tourists. Why would these "terrorists" want to attack British and American ppl in India when they can just blow up the UK or America?

Surely they would kill/injure a larger proportion of the non Muslim population in UK and America then in India which is made predominantly of Hindus and Muslims.

If you ask me they are not very good "terrorists".

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Naz wrote:
I was listening to the radio today and they said the attacks were aimed at British and American tourists. Why would these "terrorists" want to attack British and American ppl in India when they can just blow up the UK or America?

Surely they would kill/injure a larger proportion of the non Muslim population in UK and America then in India which is made predominantly of Hindus and Muslims.

That's a good question.

1. It is a form of scapegoating much like bin Laden operating from Afghanistan targeting New York while making demands upon Israel - you get the big guns to put pressure on third parties and give the locals someone else to blame. In this instance perhaps the idea is to have Israel and the embassies of other hostages pressure India, and to have India pressure Israel, each concerned at the involvement of the other. More likely is that cooperation will ensue among those targeted.

2. More simply, on the other hand, AQ hates the mores of Western tourists, hates India and hates Israel - so the tourist and Jewish centres of Mumbai are just obvious targets.

Prayers for India this weekend.

• It can never be satisfied, the mind, never. -- Wallace Stevens

Is it a good idea to lump this in with Al Qaeda? I thin that is a wrong step.

This is different people trying to hijack different causes. It may even be linked to Kashmir where there has been local movement against Indian rule in some areas this year - movement not agitated from the outside.

if it is someone trying to jump on that bandwaggon, they are morons, fools. They cheapen the lives of real struggles just to jump on a bandwaggon.

I hate bandwaggons.

Britain called the attacks : London Bombing

India, on the other hand is FURIOUS : War in Mumbai

You wrote:
Is it a good idea to lump this in with Al Qaeda? I thin that is a wrong step.

This is different people trying to hijack different causes. It may even be linked to Kashmir where there has been local movement against Indian rule in some areas this year - movement not agitated from the outside.

if it is someone trying to jump on that bandwaggon, they are morons, fools. They cheapen the lives of real struggles just to jump on a bandwaggon.

I hate bandwaggons.

I doubt whether it's al Qaeda too.

I think they'll probably find that there is a mafia connection, if not an almost wholly mafia operation. Mumbai was attacked in the past and the finger was pointed at Dawud Ibrahim, an Indian gangster currently in Pakistan or Dubai or wherever. Rather than look to Al Qaeda it might be a better knee-jerk reaction to blame him.

Al Qaeda usually carry out two simultaneous attacks not seven as was the case here. Also, al Qaeda operatives blow themselves up and don't go in for fights in which they will almost definitely be killed by the other side.

Whoever was behind it, it does nothing to ease Pakistan's situation. Pakistan was looking to make peace with India or at least end hostilities. But with incentives from the West India might join America with its own unilateral bombings of Pakistan.

Joie de Vivre wrote:
Naz wrote:

That's a good question.

1. It is a form of scapegoating much like bin Laden operating from Afghanistan targeting New York while making demands upon Israel - you get the big guns to put pressure on third parties and give the locals someone else to blame. In this instance perhaps the idea is to have Israel and the embassies of other hostages pressure India, and to have India pressure Israel, each concerned at the involvement of the other. More likely is that cooperation will ensue among those targeted.

2. More simply, on the other hand, AQ hates the mores of Western tourists, hates India and hates Israel - so the tourist and Jewish centres of Mumbai are just obvious targets.

Prayers for India this weekend.

I doubt it was Al-Qaeda, they don’t fit the MO plus OBL would have made a telly appearance by now boasting about what his lil gang have done. Al-Qaeda have a problem with the west, namely America and the UK.

Apparently a group called Deccan Mujahideen have claimed responsibility. But how is blowing up two hotels which have tourists and hijacking a Jewish centre going to teach the Indian Government a lesson?

(ps. i got a quickie ques for you Joie de Vivre just remembered it now and hope you dont mind answering it. Its totally off topic so sorry You i will make it quick. If you put kosher meat in a sandwich and then you put it into a sandwich bag and then that bag into your backpack can you then place that backpack on the floor?)

No need to apologise to me - I no loner run this place.

I am just a normal (slightly crazy) participant like everyone else and have a penchant for derailing threads.

I will assume you got a days wait before you get an answer though.

Some ppl get really defensive if you go off topic on their threads so just to be on the safe side i thought i would apolergise in advance. I am in no hurry anyway, just something i observed the other day when i was in an exam and i was intrigued by what i saw.

I heard from someone that the americans were to blame for this.

Does anyone else heard this? i think this is rite cos i don't think mussies would do this.

we shud ban americans from other countries it cant be right that they can get away with this and blame islamic terrorists who weren't even there most of the time

i believe this as the person who told me doesn't lie. also he is 14 and reads papers

i am now training to be an islam but all my friends have stopped talking to me - can i go to the police?

Real Muslims won't do anything like that, as the graveyard undertakers refused point blank to bury them.
Hang on! Why should we ban ALL Americans from going to other countries? Do you know that a chunk of the American population are Muslims?
This friend of yours is 14, I know that doesn't make him a liar, but that is fairly young compared to most people on the Forums. Plus, papers include the Sun and the Daily Express, which are notorious for lying, but yet again I don't know which papers he reads.

i am now training to be an islam but all my friends have stopped talking to me - can i go to the police?

You're training to be an Islam? You know that't the first time I've heard a Muslim (if you are one) calling themselves an Islam. Tell me if I'm being cynical.

“Before death takes away what you are given, give away whatever there is to give.”

Salam

Mumbai attackers are not allowed any Islamic funeral.

They will be refused burial by local muslims.

Well, if the killers are not muslims, then they cant be in a muslim cemetary can they.

Its up to locals religious clerics to decide how they see these 10 "mysterious" boys.

I want to know what will happen to their dead bodies?

Perhaps they will burn them like Hindus?

Omrow

I never knew that the Shahadah contained additional clauses.

"I bear witness that there is no God except for Allah and the prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is his messenger. And I will not commit acts of murder in Mumbai."

Does that sound catchy enough?

No, but you have to believe that murder is wrong.

Salam

Cleric have decided that its not right
to bury these muslim boys in a muslim cemetary.

Anyway, Iran says Mumbai attacks "staged by outsiders".
President Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that the terrorist attacks in
Mumbai were staged by countries "outside the region".

All press reporters know that he meant U.S. and Israel:

Iran questions story behind Mumbai terror

"The main motive behind the terrorist attacks, which were
orchestrated from outside the region, was to strain relations
between Indian and Pakistan," said Iranian President.
"Their ulterior motive is to weaken India and China..."

Omrow

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Omrow

Are you Malik in disguise?

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Ya'qub wrote:

That's weird, because I used to wonder if Malik was Omrow in an alter ego because he had such a similar style.

Gentleness and kindness were never a part of anything except that it made it beautiful, and harshness was never a part of anything except that it made it ugly.

Through cheating, stealing, and lying, one may get required results but finally one becomes

Omrow wrote:
Salam

Omrow

well they need their head examining coz thats just disrespectful. Yes they have killed innocent people BUT they are still Muslims and as far as i am aware you are not allowed to treat or call anyone a disbeliever (which they are doing by not providing them with a Muslim burial) who they themselves have not declared shirk.

I Nefeedel wrote:

LOL

Dawud wrote:
Ya'qub wrote:

That's weird, because I used to wonder if Malik was Omrow in an alter ego because he had such a similar style.

Where is Malik, by the way? I'm starting to miss him. Come back Malik!

Noor wrote:
I Nefeedel wrote:

LOL

that made me laugh too! :L

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Pages