How do you feel about Ramadan 2008?

166 posts / 0 new
Last post

Ya'qub wrote:
Noor wrote:
when are you going to syria? you are so lucky, im so jealous.

16th insha'Allah! A week on Tuesday.

Don't be jealous though, you may well get to go one day insha'Allah, and you could get a lot more benefit from it than I do.

insha'Allaah!

Noor wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
Going WELL SLOW.

Its not been all that this year.

slow?!

Yes slow.

Back in BLACK

Ya'qub wrote:

This is my favourite with VERY few brackets and footnotes

You should be able to get it from most Islamic bookshops, insha'Allah.

Also available online here:

Jazakallah Khairan for that.
i did'nt manage to go get that one, but i found this website, its really good!

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Seraphim wrote:
Noor wrote:
Seraphim wrote:
Going WELL SLOW.

Its not been all that this year.

slow?!

Yes slow.

Ditto this week has dragged.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Once when the moon of Ramadan was seen, the Messenger Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: "If Allah's servants knew what Ramadan was, they would wish that it were perpetually Ramadan."

Noor wrote:
this ones better. got colour coded tajweed.

What is colour-coded tajweed?

BI'DAH!!

(joking)

Don't just do something! Stand there.

where abouts you studying in damascus?

wednesday wrote:
*Ya'qub: O wikid, enjoy your trip man! and i'm sure you'll benefit from it as much as possible insha'Allah! do you have internet there?

Yes, there is internet, its not a third world country you know!

I shall still be working for the magazine insha'Allah, and will come on these forums occasionally (just to be sarcastic and scare away any newbies).

I went to my last gathering with my jam'aat last night. It was very emotional because there were the three people I met when I went to the mosque for the first time after converting. I made a speech, remembering all the help and support all my brothers have given me, especially when my father died. I can do 'soppy' when the situation calls for it. Then they gave me a HUGE cake (there were over 40 of us) and a mug that says Ya'qub's Mug on it. Lol!

I'll still see some of them this week in the masjid insha'Allah, but this was the last time we'll all be together. Sad

Noor wrote:
where abouts you studying in damascus?

Well I'm working full time (8-3, 5 days a week), so I'll have to just get an evening course. Hopefully Abu Noor Uni, but I'll see what I can get.

I'm living there with two students of Shariah (Syrians), so I'll get as much help from them as possible.

Noor wrote:
- qur'an with arabic text, roman Script and english translation by abdullah yusuf ali.

- this ones better. got colour coded tajweed.

when reading quran (tajweed) is it true your not allow to break breath in the middle of the ayah?
(i'm not talking about the normal stops symbols that are printed in the scripts)
as i had the alim sofeware and sometimes the recitor used to stop in the middle of a long ayah then go back abit and then continue..

Anonymous wrote:
Noor wrote:
- qur'an with arabic text, roman Script and english translation by abdullah yusuf ali.

when reading quran (tajweed) is it true your not allow to break breath in the middle of the ayah?
(i'm not talking about the normal stops symbols that are printed in the scripts)
as i had the alim sofeware and sometimes the recitor used to stop in the middle of a long ayah then go back abit and then continue..

No, you can stop to breathe at the end of any word. But you can't just carry on where you left off, you have to go to the beginning of the phrase and repeat a bit, so it still makes sense. For example, if you were reciting al-'Asr and you couldn't do the whole third Ayah in one breathe, you might do it like:

Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahmin
Wal-'Asr,
Innal innsaanalifee khusr,
illal-la theena aamanu wa 'amilus-Saalihaati wa tawa sau bil-Haq. (Stop to take breathe. Go back) Wa tawa sau bil-Haqqi wa ta wa sau bis-Sabr.

(I think in this you don't actually HAVE to go back, but it was just an example to illustrate.)

How can you do a whole ayah in one breathe? The longest ayah in the Qur'an is like a whole page! And the symbols printed in the Qur'an were added much much later.

Ya'qub wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Noor wrote:

No, you can stop to breathe at the end of any word. But you can't just carry on where you left off, you have to go to the beginning of the phrase and repeat a bit, so it still makes sense. For example, if you were reciting al-'Asr and you couldn't do the whole third Ayah in one breathe, you might do it like:

Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahmin
Wal-'Asr,
Innal innsaanalifee khusr,
illal-la theena aamanu wa 'amilus-Saalihaati wa tawa sau bil-Haq. (Stop to take breathe. Go back) Wa tawa sau bil-Haqqi wa ta wa sau bis-Sabr.

(I think in this you don't actually HAVE to go back, but it was just an example to illustrate.)

How can you do a whole ayah in one breathe? The longest ayah in the Qur'an is like a whole page! And the symbols printed in the Qur'an were added much much later.

jazakallah for that Smile

Asia's Muslims put on a feast for fasting month

By Miral Fahmy - Reuters - 9 Sep 2008

Aromatic beef porridge. Spicy snails. Rich mutton and wheat stew. Sweet vermicelli milk pudding, and lots and lots of dates. Ramadan may be a month of fasting, but for many Asian Muslims it's a gastronomical feast.

Food is as much a part of Ramadan, the holy month which began last week, as religious fervor, with Muslims devoting many hours to cooking the perfect meal to break the dawn-to-dusk fast.

The month is also a time for charity, with many mosques and

wealthier Muslims donating or cooking food for the poor.

"Ramadan is a big celebration for us in Asia, with a lot of special foods," said Ichwan Syam, secretary-general of the Indonesian Ulema Council, the leading Islamic legislative body in the world's most populous Muslim nation.

"Food is almost symbolic. It helps the poor, reminds Muslims of their social responsibility. It brings families together and it also brings joy after a day of fasting," he told Reuters.

During Ramadan, devout Muslims abstain from food, drink and sexual activities during daylight. A hadith, or saying, attributed to Prophet Muhammad tells Muslims they experience two joys: when they break their fast and when they meet Allah.

In a tradition harking back to Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, many Muslims initially break their fast with dates. The fruit, usually dried, is used in cakes, stews and sweets.

In Indonesia, no Ramadan would be complete without kolak, a refreshing dish made from coconut milk, starch, sugar and fruits which is eaten as an appetizer at the fast-breaking meal.

Kraca, a modest version of the French escargot, is also a favorite starter. It is made from fresh paddy-field snails, washed and shells pierced, that are boiled with lemongrass, spices and best enjoyed by sucking the fiery liquid and picking out the flesh with a stick.

To finish off the meal, most Indonesians eat timun suri, a tropical, pale yellow fruit shaped like a papaya but with white juicy flesh, which is chopped and tossed with a milky syrup and topped with shaved ice.

SPICY, SWEET AND SOUR

In mainly Muslim Malaysia, Ramadan means bubur lambuk, a special rice porridge cooked and distributed for free by the centrally located Kampung Baru mosque, one of Kuala Lumpur's most famous, for more than 50 years.

Every day, hundreds of Muslims queue for hours to get a taste of the famed porridge, which was originally made by one of the mosque's former imams.

"It's really nice, I can't wait for Ramadan to taste the porridge," said office worker Fareedah Hussein.

The exact recipe is a closely guarded secret but ingredients include coconut milk, beef, dried shrimps, ginger, cinnamon, star anise, cumin, Chinese celery, onions and fried shallots.

India's Muslims also enjoy similarly rich fare, including haleem, the months' most popular dish which hails from the south. Made from mutton or chicken or a combination of the two, the meats are stewed with spices, wheat and lentils until tender.

The dish is so popular that restaurants in big cities such as Mumbai and Chennai bring in chefs from Hyderabad to cook it. Mosques also provide a meat and rice porridge to the poor, which is usually funded by wealthy Muslims.

Sevian, made from vermicelli boiled in milk with almonds, pistachios, dried dates, saffron, ghee and sugar, is also cooked in large vats during Ramadan and eaten hot or cold.

"The season is unthinkable without the vermicelli preparation," said Pallav Singhal, executive sous-chef at the Grand Hyatt in Mumbai.

According to Islam, fasting during Ramadan is meant to purify the soul and unify Muslims.

Although the month's feasting often borders on gluttony with people stuffing themselves, clerics say Ramadan meals are also good for the spirit as many people donate food to the poor and sit down for meals with family and friends.

"Hardly any one goes hungry during Ramadan," said Indonesian cleric Syam.

Mum who microwaved baby gets life

ITN - Monday, September 8 2008

A US mother who killed her baby daughter by cooking her in a microwave has been jailed for life.

China Arnold's actions were a "heinous atrocity" that was "shocking and utterly abhorrent for a civilised society", Judge Mary Wiseman said.

Arnold, 28, intentionally put one-month-old Paris Talley in the microwave and cooked her to death after a row with her boyfriend over whether he was the baby's biological father, the court in Dayton, Ohio, heard.

A jury found her guilty of aggravated murder last month.

Judge Wiseman said: "No adjectives exist to adequately describe this heinous atrocity. This act is shocking and utterly abhorrent for a civilised society."

Her daughter was pronounced dead on August 30, 2005 at the Children's Medical Centre in Dayton.

David Franceschelli, prosecuting, said Arnold intentionally put the baby in the microwave and burned her to death and has shown no genuine remorse.

The baby's DNA was found inside the microwave in the apartment she shared with her then-boyfriend Terrell Talley and her four children.

Now I do believe in the old saying: "Hell has no fury like a woman scorned".

She should have been sentenced to death for this.

Inshallah you'll love Syria. Don't forget us, keep coming to the Forums and do your best and think fisabillah.
Yaqub, mate, it's been great knowing you on the Forums with your influential personality and take care.
Say hello to Bill Payer, Tissue and Biscuit Guy if you bump into them.
And BEHAVE! No funny business please! Don't get arrested!

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Thanks for the kind words.

Courage wrote:

Say hello to Bill Payer, Tissue and Biscuit Guy if you bump into them.
But what does this mean?

Are snails halal?

I had the opportunity to try some and after munching several it occurred to me what if they are not halal. After all how do you find the jugular vain in a snail? Do snails even have jugular veins? Where they get the snails from? Im gussing the backyard wont have enough. Do hey have like a snail farm or something.

Naz wrote:
Are snails halal?

I had the opportunity to try some and after munching several it occurred to me what if they are not halal. After all how do you find the jugular vain in a snail? Do snails even have jugular veins? Where they get the snails from? Im gussing the backyard wont have enough. Do hey have like a snail farm or something.

u at a snail?!
as far as i know theyre not halal lol.. Fool

If you desire Allah to be persistent in granting you the things you love,, be persistent in doing the things that he loves - (Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal)

xSmurfy786x wrote:
Naz wrote:
Are snails halal?

u at a snail?!

yeah im sister dared me so didnt really have a choice lol. I tried them when i was abroad. I dont know i kinda made the assumption that they were halal because we were in a Muslim country and when your in a Muslim country you dont have to worry about whats halal coz its all halal.

xSmurfy786x wrote:

u at a snail?!

If something is not halal, then there needs to be proof for it.

If it is not explicitly haram, then it can't be haram. For goodness sake!

Ya'qub wrote:
xSmurfy786x wrote:

u at a snail?!

If something is not halal, then there needs to be proof for it.

If it is not explicitly haram, then it can't be haram. For goodness sake!

I was just about to say that...drats.

As far as im aware snails are halal

Back in BLACK

Is it Halal to Eat Snails?

Q.) Is it halal to eat snails,caterpillars, locusts and ants?

A.) It is permissible to eat locusts. (Shaami vol.9 pg.446) Snails, caterpillars and ants are not permissible. (Ibid) And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Noor wrote:
Is it Halal to Eat Snails?

Q.) Is it halal to eat snails,caterpillars, locusts and ants?

A.) It is permissible to eat locusts. (Shaami vol.9 pg.446) Snails, caterpillars and ants are not permissible. (Ibid) And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

By Mufti Ebrahim Desai

On what evidence? What/Who is Shaami? There is nothing on the internet. Every fatwa I've ever seen quotes a hadith or verse from the Qur'an, or at least has a long explanation using some Qur'anic/hadithal evidence, but this on doesn't. If not, why not?

Shaami scholar, recorded hadith.

Noor wrote:
Shaami scholar, recorded hadith.

If the hadith is recorded, why don't they quote it? This is confusing (it doesn't mean I'm going to go and eat snails in protest).

Its probably a tafsir on a hadith by a scholar.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Naz wrote:
I tried them when i was abroad. I dont know i kinda made the assumption that they were halal because we were in a Muslim country and when your in a Muslim country you dont have to worry about whats halal coz its all halal.

You should be surprised then if I tell you that haram meat was imported into Makkah and Medinah from Brazil.

MuslimBro wrote:
Naz wrote:
I tried them when i was abroad. I dont know i kinda made the assumption that they were halal because we were in a Muslim country and when your in a Muslim country you dont have to worry about whats halal coz its all halal.

You should be surprised then if I tell you that haram meat was imported into Makkah and Medinah from Brazil.

Well you're gonna need some evidence to support a claim like that.

If it's something you heard from someone who heard from someone who etc etc then that is no good.

Everyone is Muslim in Mecca and Medinah and if they are claiming that they're meat is halal, we should believe them unless there is proof otherwise.

Pages