Books...HARAAAAAAAAAM??

50 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hi,

Islam strongly encourages creativity, in the form of Art, literture and many more. As long as what you read doesnt influence you in a bad way then its fine as long as the book preaches about good.

So writing fiction books seems alright look at the autor Khalid Hossenni of 'The kite Runner' and many more books, I agree with what soemone said earlier there are far more importnt factors these days to be concerned with what is haram and what is not, As long as your a good muslim with a clean heart and then thats what matters and thats for Allah to judge

ashah786 wrote:
Hi,

Islam strongly encourages creativity, in the form of Art, literture and many more.

Proof?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

The kite runner was a good book, but i felt very uncomfy when i came upon the rape seen because it involved boys not opposite genders. Rape is bad enough when its male on female but the same gender it was too horrific for me to handle. Had i known this was in the book i would have avoided reading it. This element of the book would definately be disapproved by scholars, but the rest of the book covered some excellent themes. If however it was a factual book detailing someones life that you could find inspiration from then i would have read it, without feeling out of place. Read it as you do news articles. But fiction like that stinks.

As for Sumaiya being 14 so what? Why shouldn't she not only question things but express her own views without the fear of being branded an extremist. It's better that she is truthful and if it does turn out she is following beliefs that contradict Islam then insha'Allah through talking and debating she will learn this and move forward. Age has nothing to do with it, it's highly insulting and patronising to bring it into the equation. Its remarkable that Sumaiya at such a young age is interested in her deen, and has knowledge enough to ask deep questions. Many 14 yr olds are interested in the usual, going out, spending time with friends, cinema, games consoles, music etc. She is interested in her deen Alhamdulilah to that! May Allah open the doors of knowledge for her!

“O my people! Truly, this life of the world is nothing but a (quick passing) enjoyment, and verily, the hereafter that is the home that will remain forever.” [Ghafir : 39]

sumaiya you take things way tooooooooo serious lol

it's not that I'm always right.....
I'm just never wrong

ansel, shut up. im hear basking in everyones praise and sympathy and you ad to come along with a comment like that. Il see you at school!

Behold...Me!

Sumaiya, just don't take these debates personally. We're all entitled to our own opinions and we're entitled to agree or disagree.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Sumaiya wrote:
actually all pop songs are haram (this is my opinion so dont take this as an invitation to have a go at me) let alone cheesy ones

good on you, you dont have to sin to have fun.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Sumaiya wrote:
I think that youd find, judging by my forum topics, that i wouldnt skip my prayers. But wouldnt this be like music though, it can makes you react in a certain way...

What how the hell can we tell that you dont skip your prayers from a few forum topics you posted maybe your just a really bored kid who's got nothing better to do with her summer? your 14 not 40 and i know your trying to impress all these people with your islamic knowledge but your not in any position to debate such issues so please just calm down take prozac if you have to and relax.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

Sumaiya wrote:
actually all pop songs are haram (this is my opinion so dont take this as an invitation to have a go at me) let alone cheesy ones

"Haraam" is not a matter of opinion. You cannot "merely have an opinion" that something is haraam.

It does not work that way.

You CAN have an opinion if something is good or bad, wether it is disliked or not, but for Fardh and haraam, that is not the case. It has very strict criteria.

For something to be haraam, it must have explicit qur'anic evidence, and the denial of that being haraam would be kufr.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

The main reason that scholars say novels are not good (iv nevr heard they're haram) is because they don't benefit you in the hereafter. therefore it could be counted as wastin ur time.
if u like horror, i don't think thats very bad as long as it doesnt stop u from doin wot ur meant to, e.g. prayin Esha alone at night coz ur scared of dracula or zombies or woteva. Wink
But, i do think Romance is the worst Genre for muslims, coz we are told that modesty is REALLY important, and we shud lower our gaze, but its alright to read books, and imagine it all?! :doubt: Nah, i think thats definitely wrong.

(books can't be haram, the Qur'an is a book, you get hadith books... :? )

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

I don't know about you but most books I know of, don't have naked pictures in them.

Courage wrote:
I don't know about you but most books I know of, don't have naked pictures in them.

ASTAGFARULLA!

Who said anything about naked pictures???
What have you been reading?
Shame on you.

Back in BLACK

Seraphim wrote:
Courage wrote:

ASTAGFARULLA!

Who said anything about naked pictures???
What have you been reading?
Shame on you.

Does that answer your question? I was talking to Young Anon who was talking about modesty.

When she was referring to modesty she was talking about the explicit text i think.

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

Young Anonymous Muslimah wrote:
But, i do think Romance is the worst Genre for muslims, coz we are told that modesty is REALLY important, and we shud lower our gaze, but its alright to read books, and imagine it all?! :doubt: Nah, i think thats definitely wrong.

@ Courage: i never said anything about pictures! i was talkin about novels, which are usually just writing.

wot i meant basically, was y wud u b allowed to giv in to ur desires by reading romantic novels, if ur not allowed to even look at the opposite gender? :?

'Allah gives and forgives
Man gets and forgets' Baba Ali

Naz wrote:
When she was referring to modesty she was talking about the explicit text i think.

Thats what i thought.

Courage that makes no sense what you said.

Back in BLACK

Right well we can stay from those books, if they make us want to do haram stuff. I'm pretty ssure it's not haram to read an unIslamic verse of the Bible, so long as you don't start believing it.

In my opinon a man who doesnt read good books has no advantage over a man who cant read.

Back in BLACK

Pages