42 days dentention law!

34 posts / 0 new
Last post

Courage wrote:
Yes the burden is on the prosecution, but the prosecution needs time to set up a case, which is why if there's no basic evidence that the person is guilty then they'll be released. But do you really think it's wrong to detain someone for a few hours while they're being investigated? That's not saying that YOU ARE guilty!

Sorry to break up this *lovely* party between Omrow and Courage Wink - but I just want to stick my quiet 2p piece before I take my leave:

The prosecution have enough time to set up a case/make sufficient investigations before any arrest, detainment and charge. They have to comply with PACE which sets this as a requirement. Unvercover surveillance, for example, is a method used to "investigate" before any arrest and detainment. Therefore you do not arrest and detain a person JUST so you are able to "investigate". You require some solid grounds to do so. Otherwise you are labelling them guilty before innocent. Investigation is also an ongoing process - both before and after arrest, detainment and charge. In any event, to detain a person for say 42 days doesnt make any sense - are the police THAT slow that they require 42 days to dig up some little piece of evidence with which to make a charge? :roll: The presumption should be innocent should be until proven guilty.

The presumption of *guilt* until innocence is proven (i.e. by detaining an individual for almost 1 1/2 months) is a fatal mistake, and it is one that should never be accepted by anyone with any sense of justice.

Using the same logic we could argue that the police wouldn't shoot somebody unless they were guilty. :roll:

But we all know that doesn't work... (Jean Charles de Menezes) Sad :?

May Allah shine sweet faith upon you this day and times beyond. May your heart be enriched with peace, and may your home be blessed always. Ameen.

Well, me and Omrow aren't talking about terrorist offences. I'm talking about normal offences, and yes under PACE the police can hold an individual for 96 hours maximum, if they can PROVE that they need it and something will come out of it.
I don't know about you but, I've never heard of rape, murder, violent suspect being under surveilence. Do you accept that for these crimes arresting, holding and investigating is reasonable?

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Omrow wrote:
That is a normal response from those who have
lost and start crying like a baby.

p.s. Love is funny.

Omrow, if you're not going to answer all my points, especially about how you'd handle a rape or murder investigation without ANY detention, then that's fine.

Chin up, mate! Life's too short.

Pages