The Do’s And Don’ts Of Dawah

191 posts / 0 new
Last post

yup

If any sisters are local and are interested, my sister does study circles.

its happenin ryt now, every friday at 7

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

I agree with Muhtarama Yashmaki.

Primary knowledge is gained from ulama. Those who use laypersons as primary sources of knowledge are mislead and easily mislead. Imam Shafi'ee alayhi rahmah said to the effect that he does not like to sit or associate with a person who has no religious teacher. This emphasises the importance of ulama and how they are a must in all islamic activities.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

i would never listen to a "layperson"'s understanding of Islam

such people are very arrogant-they think they know it all

in the study circles i go to-the person who leads the circle is usually a follower of a scholar

so most info comes from their own teachers-who are the ulama

at the same time the reason why I dont listen to ulema is cos the info goes over my head

and also cos I'm relate more to young people

A Hadeeth Noble states to the effect: ''This affair of ours is knowledge, so beware from whom you take your knowledge''

We are strongly advised by Holy Words to choose extremely carefully about who we choose as our teachers and guides because making a wrong choice is destruction.

I can see why some prefer listening to the followers of scholars rather than the scholars themselves because it may seem what the ulama say goes over us. However just continuing to listen to the followers is not going to remedy the situation. In order to benefit from the ulama's speeches it is necessary to make amal and listen attentively; gradually, over time, the amal will bear fruit and a person will learn more than he thinks. Similarly the effect of ulama's company and speech is way more beneficial than that of their followers so even if a follower is saying good things, the alim will be better.

There is the case with Imam Malik, the Alim of Madina Munawwarah. In his childhood he once said to his mother noble that he wishes to be a singer. His mother noble was shocked and upset by this and said from tomorrow you will attend the dars in the Masjid Nabwi salallahu alayhi wa sallam. She commanded her son that you will not understand what is being said, but you must sit there and listen with all the correct etiquette, respect and attention. After a long time the company of sitting in the dars had effect and Imam Malik's thirst for knowledge was kindled and the secrets were opened to him.

Point being even if you cant understand things even then sit there because eventually you will benefit. By us even when ulama give bayan in pashto or bangla we are told to sit and listen attentively because ALLAH's ways are mysterious and listening even when it is in a different language will benefit us in our tarbiyah.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

i know this hafiz who prayed with my bro ...and hes propa jahil now and he sez to me i should have been a singer

astagfirullah !! i was totally shocked hearing this from him ...whats this world coming to

im sure the studycircle LilSis attends, and i know the one my sister holds, are not from 'laypeople'

it works, its effective and the sources of information are legit.

its not used to replace primary sources of knowledge, its just a side thing to help people on a regular basis and keep em on track

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

i used to attend a halqa made up of some alimas

i used to love going sitting with these highly educated people

its was really benefical and spiritual listening to the naseehas, but now its no more coz we tend to organise conferences now in our town and raise money for mosques madressahs etc....

but we do have weekly halqas at the mosque which i love attending

! @ the hafiz who said you should be a singer. I recommend you tell your brother, im sure mawlana can knock some sense into that person.

halqa with alimaat is different to study circles. I agree with the former, but not the later. You can talk about ALLAH Rasul as much as you like, but what you cant do is open up certain books and start studying them without permission.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

wow....study circles arent good neither :roll:

ur too concerned with prohibiting whatts good and ignoring the real probz

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

please define what your study circles consist of. a detailed account would be appreciated.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

i havnt attended one in some time

but the one my sister holds....

every week she starts with Quran Recittation and a lil class - Tajweed

moves on to the topic of the day talk - usually relevant to girls

then some of the girls individually, and collectively recite Nasheeds and Qaseeda and Tala-al-badru-alayna

some Zikr followed by a dua

now i find it hard to see whats wrong with that, Mashallah my sister is very well learned and she spent the last year in pakistan doing an Islamic Studies course by Skaykh-Ul-Islam

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"Medievalist" wrote:
! @ the hafiz who said you should be a singer. I recommend you tell your brother, im sure mawlana can knock some sense into that person.

halqa with alimaat is different to study circles. I agree with the former, but not the later. You can talk about ALLAH Rasul as much as you like, but what you cant do is open up certain books and start studying them without permission.

cant tell my bro...coz first i'd have to answer a thousand questions on how i chatted to him...secondly i had promised him that i wont let anyone know about his bad habits or he'd be shunned...

and as for opening certain books whos permission is needed?
the halqas i attend are basically just deeni naseehats

salaam
there is absolutely nothing wrong with study circles.
A study circle is where you deliver a short talk and then discuss issues on Islam and ask questions. Ideally the study circle should be carried out by a scholar. If a non scholar is doing the study circle then issues of fiqh, aqeedah, tafseer of Quran etc should not be discussed but rather basics of Islam or even better discuss issues that concern people today etc. But ideally to get the best out of a study circle it should be carried out by a scholar.
The issue of reading out of books and teaching can be dangerous...again you need a degree of knowledge and Islamic qualifications to teach Islam.
wasalaam

Thank you editor.

If the study circle is as mentioned by editor then it is good provided it is as editor wrote.

Muhtarama I was saying that if you have alimaat heading your lessons or study circles then there is nothing wrong in that, I was saying that if a non-alim is in charge then there are certain books they cant teach until and unless they have studied the books with ulama and understood them.

It is wrong for you to talk to this hafiz. Remember your intentions may be clean but shaytaan is not,the fact that you do not wish to mention this talking to Mawlana indicates you yourself are aware that it is not good.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

i go to lots of diff study circles

i go to one daily which is led by a lady who is Hafiz-she teaches me Arabic only

another weekly study circle i attend on Sat is by a scholar he teaches me aqeedah issues/hadiths etc

and i attend two other weekly study circles for teenage girls who are far away from Islam-led by my sister-she only touches on social issues and sumtimes Islamic issues (based on lecture she has heard by a scholar)

i attend another monthly study circle led my by sisters mate-she aint a scholar either-she also only touches on social issues or summarises islamic lectures by scholars

i ALSO listen to mums lecture once a week-that too is a summary of a lecture she has heard by a scholar

NO ONE above justs reads out of books and teaches

and like i said-scholar talk goes over my head

i find my saturday class the hardest

Bad Dawah Tactics

We are all ambassadors to Islam. The way we spread Islam can have a big impact on our non-Muslim friends. We can either spread it in a subtle way or by going the whole nine yards. However, the following are things we should stop doing while giving out dawah. Yeeeech.

The Horrendous Vocab

Do research on your audience. This is terrible:

Non-Muslim Female: Hi there… I’m Tiffany. I’m interested in Islam… *reaches out to shake hand*
Fanatical Muslim: I don’t shake hands with kafir scum. Especially kafir girls. Actually girls in general. Astagfirullah.
Non-Muslim Female: But –
Fanatical Muslim: Illicit touching is of the kufaar. I pray that the kufaar will burn in hell and all the kufaar females become eradicated before they whore themselves to innocent Muslim males.
Non-Muslim: Uh…
Fanatical Muslim: Now what is it you wanted to know about Islam?
*Non-Muslim runs off crying*

Courtesy and manners is key. Unfortunately the so-called learned people seem to lack it nowadays though.

The Haram Factor

In Islam, nearly everything is Halal until proven otherwise. It’s sad to see people make it appear the opposite.

Non-Muslim: Okay I’m ready to be a Muslim. I’ll join up. What do I have to do?
Muslim: No pork. No alcohol. No sex before marriage. No interest (mortgages etc). No gayness.
Non-Muslim: But…
Muslim: Shut up. Now hurry up and convert so you can dump your kafir boyfriend and get married to me so I can impress my friends that I married a convert.

The Blame Game
So here I am, chatting it up with this other Muslim brother after Juma when he gives me this smackdown of a tidbit.

Random Muslim brother: Yeah so I applied to McDonalds right…
Hamzah: That’s nice. *rolls eyes*
Random Muslim brother: I know but get this… they DECLINED me.
Hamzah: You must be TOO talented for them. *rolls eyes*
Random Muslim brother: Yo, listen! I think they saw my name on my resumé and noticed that I was Muslim and threw it out.
Hamzah: You’re on to something. *rolls eyes*
Random Muslim brother: Yo man this kufaar society is against us man. I hate them all.
Hamzah: Rolls eyes. *rolls eyes*

After 9/11, the spotlight was firmly on Muslims. However, being famous doesn’t always have its upsides. When the spotlight is on you then people start talking. That’s probably why celebrity marriages last as long as Ramadan… some people just can’t take the spotlight. Muslims are like the same way. The spotlight is now on us...

Because of September 11th, people start asking us queries about Islam because they think we’re the guilty party. Based on the wonderfully non-biased news and media, it’s our responsibility to clarify what Islam is REALLY about. Peace, tolerance etc. It’s our chance to spread the good stuff. Instead, people blow this opportunity by playing the blame game and making up stupid conspiracy theories.

The Moronic Character

Sometimes having a good character is dawah in itself. However it could be the opposite. If you’re a complete jackass then it sorta screws up the perception of Islam now doesn’t it? We need less kafir-cursing, guns-a-blazin' folk and more likeable characters in our ummah. People of the past were likeable. Why are people so rude today? *runs off crying*

[url= MUSLIM[/url]

where are you? theres plenty around major cities or towns

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

"yashmaki" wrote:
Call me ott but i think it's creating fithna there. So i've not been since Sad

MashaALLAH.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"yashmaki" wrote:
Well darth muslimsislilsis, that's good. I only mentioned the issue because a lot of the study circles i've been invited to when i ask whose leading the circle they usually are "laymen". So i assumed most of them were done by laymen, it's like a new trend.

But obviously your circles pay more attention to the importance of a good teacher, may Allah reward them.

No study circles here no one seems to see the importance in them, i'd love to go to one, im very isolated here Sad

i know where ur coming frm

MOST study circles in my town are led by people who dont believe in the importance of a teacher and just open up the quran or hadith book and start to preach

in fact the largest gathering that we have here-were at least 200 housewives attend daily

is led by a HOUSEWIFE based on HER understanding of quran and hadith

that circle is famous for confusing people and focusing on the harsh/unpractical side of Islam

I think study circle's are a must..its a good way of discussin issues and raising questions which you need clarifying...discussion is good becuz everyone puts their view forward so what one person thought might not have come to anothers head hence good at getin ppl thinkin.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Bad Dawah Tactics

We are all ambassadors to Islam. The way we spread Islam can have a big impact on our non-Muslim friends. We can either spread it in a subtle way or by going the whole nine yards. However, the following are things we should stop doing while giving out dawah. Yeeeech.

The Horrendous Vocab

Do research on your audience. This is terrible:

Non-Muslim Female: Hi there… I’m Tiffany. I’m interested in Islam… *reaches out to shake hand*
Fanatical Muslim: I don’t shake hands with kafir scum. Especially kafir girls. Actually girls in general. Astagfirullah.
Non-Muslim Female: But –
Fanatical Muslim: Illicit touching is of the kufaar. I pray that the kufaar will burn in hell and all the kufaar females become eradicated before they whore themselves to innocent Muslim males.
Non-Muslim: Uh…
Fanatical Muslim: Now what is it you wanted to know about Islam?

Courtesy and manners is key. Unfortunately the so-called learned people seem to lack it nowadays though.

The Haram Factor

In Islam, nearly everything is Halal until proven otherwise. It’s sad to see people make it appear the opposite.

Non-Muslim: Okay I’m ready to be a Muslim. I’ll join up. What do I have to do?
Muslim: No pork. No alcohol. No sex before marriage. No interest (mortgages etc). No gayness.
Non-Muslim: But…
Muslim: Shut up. Now hurry up and convert so you can dump your kafir boyfriend and get married to me so I can impress my friends that I married a convert.

The Blame Game
So here I am, chatting it up with this other Muslim brother after Juma when he gives me this smackdown of a tidbit.

Random Muslim brother: Yeah so I applied to McDonalds right…
Hamzah: That’s nice. *rolls eyes*
Random Muslim brother: I know but get this… they DECLINED me.
Hamzah: You must be TOO talented for them. *rolls eyes*
Random Muslim brother: Yo, listen! I think they saw my name on my resumé and noticed that I was Muslim and threw it out.
Hamzah: You’re on to something. *rolls eyes*
Random Muslim brother: Yo man this kufaar society is against us man. I hate them all.
Hamzah: Rolls eyes. *rolls eyes*

After 9/11, the spotlight was firmly on Muslims. However, being famous doesn’t always have its upsides. When the spotlight is on you then people start talking. That’s probably why celebrity marriages last as long as Ramadan… some people just can’t take the spotlight. Muslims are like the same way. The spotlight is now on us...

Because of September 11th, people start asking us queries about Islam because they think we’re the guilty party. Based on the wonderfully non-biased news and media, it’s our responsibility to clarify what Islam is REALLY about. Peace, tolerance etc. It’s our chance to spread the good stuff. Instead, people blow this opportunity by playing the blame game and making up stupid conspiracy theories.

The Moronic Character

Sometimes having a good character is dawah in itself. However it could be the opposite. If you’re a complete jackass then it sorta screws up the perception of Islam now doesn’t it? We need less kafir-cursing, guns-a-blazin' folk and more likeable characters in our ummah. People of the past were likeable. Why are people so rude today? *runs off crying*

[url= MUSLIM[/url]

hahahhahahhahaha

you're a trip sometimes

I like the bad vocab one the most - reminds me of Tex.

ahahahahahhaha

this guy is absolutely hilarious, a bit of a rip off on Maddox - check out the prom one

Man I hated prom... got myself into a little trouble as a result of it.

They are for girls.

You guys don't have proms in england do you?

we have balls!

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

lol I see you read the article already.

Proms are pretty gay - it's an excuse for girls to drag their boyfriends along and compete with each other on who has the cutest boyfriend + dress, most expensive jewelry - and generally who is too be ranked higher on the social ladder for the next year.

I spent prom apologizing to annette for the first half, was gradually discarded with most of the other guys by the last, and then went to various monotonous parties afterward before we had to be back in our dormitories for evening count.

Ahh high school... I miss ye not.

"Medievalist" wrote:
we have balls!

i'd like to think so as well.... Lol

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

Astaghfirullah my comment can be taken to mean something other than what I intended.

Further clarification is that in UK at private schools or grammar schools or university they have christmas balls, and leavers balls and freshers balls.

I did not mean anything other than this.

But effectively our balls and your proms are the same from what I read. Alcohol, illicit touching, drugs, gambling and partying take place.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Medievalist" wrote:
Astaghfirullah my comment can be taken to mean something other than what I intended.

Further clarification is that in UK at private schools or grammar schools or university they have christmas balls, and leavers balls and freshers balls.

I did not mean anything other than this.

But effectively our balls and your proms are the same from what I read. Alcohol, illicit touching, drugs, gambling and partying take place.

hahahahha I thought you were refering to the article!

Ohh how very coincidental.

Now in uk private = public school and public = private right?

We pay to go to private schools here and public are for everybody

Pages