THE GLOBAL PEACE AND UNITY EVENT 2007

Salaam

The two day massive, family oriented extravaganza is back on again in London on the 24th and 25th of November.

In previous years I’ve attended a lot of these events - at the Excel Centre, Alexandra Palace, Wembly arena, local Town halls…I even used to attend the ones that took place out of London.

However, I don’t attend these events as much as I used to for many reasons….

1.It takes up an entire day or two. It’s very exhausting.

2.Can be expensive. A two day ticket for the Excel for one person is £20. It costs £9 to park your car in the car park for a day. Its about £5 for people travelling on trains to get there. And then you have to buy your own over priced food.

3.I don’t actually ever learn anything – the large amount of people that are present, number of stalls/exhibitions, noise, lost kids etc etc makes it hard to focus.

I’m don’t actually understand the point of these events…its more of a - day out with friends and family thing for me now…(which I can do anytime/anywhere)

We’re very fortunate that we live in a time that Islamic events are on the rise….we live in a time where so many people are proud of their religious identity, we so lucky that we’re able to hire out beautiful venues like the Excel…however, have we lost the focus?

SO much time, energy, money and effort goes into organizing these events. But what exactly is the point?

I do believe that there are some benefits to such events. But I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

I prob will attend this event. However, I no longer hold Islamic events as a necessity or obligation any more.

How often do you guys attend religious events?

Wasalaam

I attend them very often. I try to attend all the ones which are held by MQ and if my Shaykh is gona be present, then i'm there.

Most of the events which happen in my area are organised by myself and other sisters. Each event has a different aim and we try to fulfil that. We have a small team and we make sure our events turn out good.

I don't really go to other events which happen in my city with the intention of learning knowledge, i usually go because i no i'm gona see some of the sisters whom i haven't seen in yonks and because of the company.

Sometimes i attend purley because i feel sorry for the organisers cz i no not many will attend that particular event.

Charity, Nasheed events are good. Halal entertainment for the family and easy way of rasing money. They serve a good purpose.

GPU is just something for the family, well the nasheed part of the event anyway. I don't think that aims to give out knowledge or anything but just a gathering with a lot of Muslims.

I haven't really attended these big events (even though some are really close to my house) coz I think you don't really learn anything. Most of the events I have attended were talks.

However this year will be different because I'm now an active member of my IS, so I will have to attend Islamic talks and events which will be taking place. One thing I'm looking forward to... bossing people about Biggrin

"MuslimBro" wrote:
One thing I'm looking forward to... bossing people about Biggrin

lol, who's gona take a skinny wimp seriously?!

i dont doubt that these events are a positive thing, but maybe not for me

i dont think they are aimed at giving knowledge - more about showing how we can all stand under one roof and unite. Whether these events are actually uniting us is a different issue. But there are some good points from it. The money raised for good causes is always one. awareness of issues is too

however, if i have opportunity to go - wudnt turn it down. but equally, wouldnt be the type of event i would rearrange my routine to get too..

them programmes are priceless - where the Suhba of the Shayoukh can be attained, and knowledge is like pricless gems....

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

i went to GPU last year cos i got free tickets! 'twas my 1st such event and was quite fun (but not much else).

i know a t-shirt manufacturer who LOVES such events cos he makes a truckfull of cash.

i'm sure quite a bit of charity money is raised too.

TOO many politicions for my liking tho...when Simon Hughes said 'assalamu alaikum' i had tears (of embarrasment) in my eyes.

there was LOADS of screaming for the nasheed 'artists' which reminded me of a take-that concert (not that i've ever been to one of those, mind!)

but on the whole i think its better that they have them than if they didn't

Don't just do something! Stand there.

ur all so negative

these events are cool

good islamic halaal events

u can have fun, especially for kids. listen to nasheeds

listen to good talk

view a massive variety of stalls

meet so many ppl

do dawah

unique opportunity to promote your own projest

taste sum new dishes

speak to the media

inshallah i shud be going if revival can sort a stall out
if no stall i will still try to go... an event active muslims cant really afford to miss out on

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
taste sum new dishes

a cold box of oily rice?

"TheRevivalEditor" wrote:
ur all so negative

these events are cool

good islamic halaal events

u can have fun, especially for kids. listen to nasheeds

listen to good talk

view a massive variety of stalls

meet so many ppl

do dawah

unique opportunity to promote your own projest

taste sum new dishes

speak to the media

inshallah i shud be going if revival can sort a stall out
if no stall i will still try to go... an event active muslims cant really afford to miss out on

you have to accept that its not everyones cup of tea

i have been to a fair few, mostly with you!

the speakers are advertised as the main highlight...none of them ever get me going.

but i love the nasheeds

they are kool

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Salaam,

I love attending Islamic events, I try to go to as many as I can, in city and out of city ,small or big.

I find them both very eductaional and enjoyable.

You get to meet all kinds of muslims , have a good chit chat with them nice food to munch on while your doing so.

Can't wait for GPU inshallah I shall be going, only for 1 day tho.

A rose protects its beauty with thorns..a woman protects hers with a veil

mega bus missionnnnnnnnnnn Lol

To be beautiful is to expect nothing in return.

By the way guys. Those of you who are planning on attending. Its a £20 ticket for 2days. However, if you book before the 31st of October its only £15.

And MuslimBro and Yaqub I expect you guys to be there.

salaam
what i think is for the younger generation it really is quite fun i think i went to a milad-un-nabi in the wembley arena it was pretty enjoyable and most of the youngsters i know enjoyed it aswell. On a whole i think it would be better for the younger people to go and be influenced in a positive way about there religion and there religion to be portayed as enjoyable aswell. thats my opinion what do i kno eh.
hudafiz

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

I spoke to a friend of mine and he might get me a free ticket coz he works for Islam channel, but still kinda don't wanna go coz I've never been to a big event such as this one.

I heard that there was an event somewhere and Sami Yusuf was there and some of the sisters took off there headscarves and threw it at him, can someone confirm that this happened and if so where.

I fear that some events where nasheeds are being played are becoming more of like a rock concert, where people are screaming, and are close to idolising the singer. Am I taking this too seriously?

Ed if you do have a stall there then I will definitely come coz I'm willing to help out, and more importantly.... meet you Smile

"MuslimBro" wrote:
I heard that there was an event somewhere and Sami Yusuf was there and some of the sisters took off there headscarves and threw it at him, can someone confirm that this happened and if so where.

you mean the recent one at wembley? or the islamic relief one?

"Noor" wrote:
you mean the recent one at wembley? or the islamic relief one?

Dunno which one, I just heard. Didn't bother asking the brother but I think it happened some time back.

then you must be talking about he islamic relief one. some sisters did go crazy but not that crazy.

Sami Yusuf was in Trafalgar Square and Wembley. I'll ask the brother where it happened coz he said that Sami Yusuf actually stopped the show and said to them what are you doing.

I was surprised coz you don't expect that from sisters, esp. ones who are attending a nasheed event.

lol. i find that hard to believe that some sisters flung of their hijaabs.
anyway, not everyone attends nasheed events just to listen to the nasheeds but rather to check out the 'fit' nasheed artists :roll:

"Noor" wrote:
lol. i find that hard to believe that some sisters flung of their hijaabs.

i dont and i wouldnt be suprised if they did.
Ive only ever been to one nasheed (just dont have the time) and it wasnt what i expected.

Ppl were constantly talking all the way through the talks and nasheeds. Most of the time the scholrs were having to talk over the ppl. One of the scholars a women from Bolton finally told those that were talking to either shut up or get out (go sister). You had kids running up and down (why do parents always insist on bringing their brats with them to such events. Leave them at home!). 5 minutes into the talk ppl were getting up to get something to eat and drink (your here to listen not to have a 3 course meal).

No not the gum drop buttons! – Gingy

but come on, hijaab is just ott. screaming, waving their hands around etc yh ok, thats expectable from some sisters but flining of their hijabs of? :shock:

i'd only believe that if i say that, even then, i'd probably think i'm dreaming.

The event is next month and they still haven't announced any of the speakers/artists.

I'm looking more forward to the stalls than the nasheeds and speakers.

last year the line up had LOADs of good people....but the format (really short time each, load cheering from audience etc) meant that the speakers didn't have much chance of putting arguments/ points across. the problem was too many people not enough time

maybe in some circumstances less really is more.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

once u go through the gates can u go back out? like stay there for a few hours, chip for a bit and then come back in 2 hours time.

or is, once ur out ur out.

You can do what you want - come in and out.

Its a beautiful area - overlooks the Thames and office boat thingies. It sparkles at night. Its worth checking out the surrounding area.

They give you a bright wrist band to wear all day so they know that you have a ticket.

lol. have they got u recruiting or something Wink

i might come, well thats if mummy lets me go which i doubt she will :? Sad

"Noor" wrote:
i might come, well thats if mummy lets me go which i doubt she will :? Sad

thats 1 thing i h8 mumz alowing there sons 2 do things but think twice and sometimes deny there daughters the same things and imo the girl means no harm whereas the boy has bad intentions

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane, by those who couldn't hear the music...

no my mum aint like that. she lets her daughters go everywhere (after some persuading). we practically live on the streets of sheffield.
cz it's in london she may not want me going on train by myself but if my cuzins are going then she should be fine with it inshaa'Allah.

im not saying you but in general i know a lot of families like that

Pages