what are u first BRITISH or MUSLIM?

nowadays this is a common question asked to muslims living here in the uk....of course its not a right question 2 ask and can be assumed 2 be a very tricky 1 for the muslim youths out there..what are your lots views on this?and what will your reaction be to this question if asked?jazaks

"muslim gyal" wrote:
nowadays this is a common question asked to muslims living here in the uk....of course its not a right question 2 ask and can be assumed 2 be a very tricky 1 for the muslim youths out there..what are your lots views on this?and what will your reaction be to this question if asked?jazaks

muslim 1st then british..your religion comes first but you cnt compare relgion to your nationality...ur relgion is your faith and your way of life and your nationality is where u brought up and it doesnt mean it has to compromise your faith

Salaam i agree with angel muslim first then british no matter what youre religion comes first

To expect people to be loyal to a nation state is stupid. Most of them haven't existed for more than two centuries.

People are ultimately loyal to their religion (if they have one) and/or their clan/extended family. Just look at the Catholic Irish and the Basques.

Muslim>Pakistani>Red Devil>Revival addict>Alien>British

in that order Biggrin

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

Muslim, British citizen.

Explain what being british is apart from citizenship, and I may answer that.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Biggrin thanks i would like more opinions....dont think theres anything about being british than citizenship of course :!:

Or jamal badawi said at the unity conference, this is a leading question, suggesting religion and nationality are mutually opposed. It is an invalid question.

Next question please.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

hayder way 2 go Lol i think i'll follow ur order

invalid question of course we can all say that but its a fact ..alot of us get asked it so we need a good enough answer thats why i felt it 2 be made an issue

heh, I was kidding.

IMO we should all say Muslim, and not be ashamed of it.

admin u joka....im new 2 dis site man.still gettin used to it...pic on sm1 yr own size im only 19 Cray 2 trust me no1s ashamed to call themselves muslim well dunno bout u (joke)dnt bite me

don't worry. I pick on everyone equally.

Always take my comments with a pinch of salt. If you still cannot detect any humour it may be a serious post.

admin dont worry i take yr advice....i only got to this site readin a old magazine in my house dated 2000...well im glad its pretty cool

salaam

this issue is crucial, especially after 7/7 as it is discussed and highlighted in most papers, TV channels etc...

and for that reason I am hoping to write an article on this in the next issue...

some issues i will raise:

[b]what is your identity?
just Muslim. Full stop. Does that mean you dont care about the country you live in?

or British Muslim?
Pakistani/Arab/ Muslim? what do these two mean?
Do you see yourself as British Asian? why?

What does being 'British' mean to you?

Is being Muslim and British a clash of civilisations or is it easy to be Muslim and be British aswell?

Do you have any alliegance to the 'Britsh way of life'?
Are you proud to be British?

if you are dual nationality, eg britsh pakistani...where does your alliegance lie? what means more to you?

should we try to be as British as possible as long as it doesnt mean compromising our deen?

Is anyone proud to be a British Muslim?
Does anyone hate being called or seeing themselves as a British Muslim?
(HT's would say NO we are Muslims living in Britain not British Muslims)

What would you say to those ppl who say Muslims need to be more british or Muslims need to integrate more in to the British way of life?

Is anyone confused with their identity?

Have you thought more about your identity after 7/7?[/b]

your detailed answers and contribution will help me greatly for the article.

wasalaam

also add in ur Q

why a BIG deal is made out of this issue

I've never understood it

we're british cos we were born here

we're Muslim cos thats our religion

who cares what we say first

if we say British Muslim-that dont mean that we're more British then Muslim

why do people read into this issue too much

Salam Muslims
Peace Non Muslims

I don’t think many of us are comprehending the political implications of how we identify ourselves. For me I am a British Muslim, since I’ve spent most of my life in Britain.

But the thinkers and politicians in this country want more, that is, a political allegiance to Britain. You’ll find many personalities avoiding to define ‘Britishness’ explicitly.

Usually their real views are implicit since otherwise it goes against multiculturalism (which is in essence anti-integration) and diversity (which is loosely controlled by host country).

Having said that there is a growing presence today of many who will attack multiculturalism with neo liberal values this we must confront.

To shed more light into this issue I will quote an explicit statement of Melanie Phillips who is a Journalist, Author and a Neo-Liberalist:

Islam is a proselytising religion that does not distinguish between the spiritual and the temporal. So allegiance to Islam takes precedence over loyalty to a non-Muslim state. …Now moderate British Muslims must choose. If, as they claim, they accept that British citizenship means primary allegiance to Britain, they must state unequivocally that the first duty of British Muslims is not to the global Islamic nation [The Sunday Times – London, 04.11.2004]

Salam Muslims
Peace non-Muslims

i agree with MuslimSisLilSisBigBroLilBro..........its looked into faaaar 2 much, does it really matter that much in our daily lives? ive never even thought about it too much unless someone raises the topic. frankly, i find it quite boring to read now. that and the aftermath of 7/7. same old hoo haa

and isnt this is in the 1st issue? what its like to be a british muslim, an account of that londong girl. and the 2nd issue was muslim contribution to britain.

personally, such topics are getting repetitive and not very eye-catching

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

I think the problem is that many 'Brits' have woken up to the fact that Muslims in this country take up the cause of Muslims in foreign lands.

They are bemused by the fact that our global political interests centre in Palestine.

They want us to be bound by inherently British political and economic interests.

They want assurances that we will side with 'Britain' in the 'Great Game'.

"Hayder Sabri" wrote:
i agree with MuslimSisLilSisBigBroLilBro.

Ha ha ha.

ROFLU.

Lol

oh n another thing...........they went you to be all british/fish-n-chips/mashed potato/god save the queen/glory glory england/long live england etc etc

...but the moment your portrayed in a negative light, your a muslim/muslimist/jihadist/islamist/pakistanist and so on

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

[b]Muslim>British>non-smoker>Revival Addict>Optimist>Size 8 shoes. Biggrin
[/b]

Discussing it online aint much of a problem. when some average joe comes up to you and asks if your a muslim? Then you think... Whys he asking me that? Does he look dodgy? What will he do if i say i am? It dont matter i can take him, any day of the week.

I think its a case of fear of being made into a scape goat, that surrounds this topic.

Back in BLACK

"Admin" wrote:
don't worry. I pick on everyone equally.

Always take my comments with a pinch of salt. If you still cannot detect any humour it may be a serious post.

haha what the so-called sense of humour!

just ignore me, i am hyped up thats what this forum does to me!

"Seraph" wrote:
[/b]

ur discription sounds like sumin you'd find in a personal ad Wink

lol, jus needa add good sense of humour and what your seeking to the list!

He is free, he is mad,

ɐɥɐɥ

yea inshallah editor bring dis subject in your next issue ...when is the next issue?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"Seraph" wrote:
[/b]

ur discription sounds like sumin you'd find in a personal ad Wink

Maybe thats what it is...

lol... joke. Thats is soooo not what this is.

eerrr gotta go...

Back in BLACK

"muslim gyal" wrote:
yea inshallah editor bring dis subject in your next issue ...when is the next issue?

yep, inshallah i will do, next issue will be out in ramadhaan inshallah

Muslim->British/Pakistani->Pie-Eating Revival Newbie. Biggrin

hhmm magical pie....

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

Seems like many people have issues with saying their British before they're Muslim...

What about your nationality?...

Who would say that they're Pakistani/Bengali/Guji etc before they are British?

Pages