what are u first BRITISH or MUSLIM?

107 posts / 0 new
Last post

I dont remember the names of people who audition

I'm not THAT much of a sad addict over a lame TV show :roll:

and he claims he's only watched the show once

and get back to the topic

what do u have to say about being "British" and being a Muslim?

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
I dont remember the names of people who audition

I'm not THAT much of a sad addict over a lame TV show :roll:

and he claims he's only watched the show once

and get back to the topic

what do u have to say about being "British" and being a Muslim?

I don't watch it! The wm hung thing was on the internet.

British and Muslim?

Well coming from a guy that's neither, I'll compare it to being American and Muslim.

I don't see what the problem would be... one is a citizenship the other is a religious group. Now unless the State asks you to start praying to the Queen, or Allah emails yall and tells you you are exempt from J-walking restrictions there isn't a problem and they don't overlap.

There is a problem though (in Europe) regarding cultural identity which probably leads to thinks like the BNP. Islam is not part of the "British" ethnic identity, and as they struggle to modernize and become multicultural it will probably lead to ethnic Britons becomming a bit... clingy as to what the national identity is.

I don't so much see that as a problem in America since from day one we are taught that we are all immigrants and that there is no national culture other than classical liberalism, consitutionalism, and democracy - Which as I understand it don't conflict with Islam - a progressive religion, which boasts a constitutional history (medina was it?) and has worked well with democracy in America since muslims first came.

Like I said I am not British so perhaps I misunderstand ethnic british sentiments of their place in a changing, modernizing britain - but if that is the case it's their problem - not yours. You are all Britains, and you shouldn't let the old prejudiced neighbors down the street dictate who lives on your block.

Being British and Muslim is only an issue when the two become incompatible.

I don’t think that day has come yet.

Just curious - to what extent does Britain having a national religion effect the religious practices of other groups in Britain?

Are there prohibitions on prosletizing etc?

heh, I had to look for the meaning of that word! (and you spelt it wrong!) [url= of proselytizing[/url]

As far as I know, there no such restrictions.

People can convert if they like.

And we are allowed to practice our faith. Even though there some activists trying to curb certain aspects (such as halaal meat, publishing the translation of verses relating to war etc... but currently they are on the losing side.)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
heh, I had to look for the meaning of that word! (and you spelt it wrong!) [url= of proselytizing[/url]

As far as I know, there no such restrictions.

People can convert if they like.

And we are allowed to practice our faith. Even though there some activists trying to curb certain aspects (such as halaal meat, publishing the translation of verses relating to war etc... but currently they are on the losing side.)

Wow ever since I stopped working as a speech writer my spelling has been steadily dying.

So what exactly does the state religion result in?

Ceremonial purposes or something?

erm... we have a queen's speech at chrimbo.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Admin" wrote:
erm... we have a queen's speech at chrimbo.

...what's a chrimbo?

christmas.

I find it slightly ironic that the same government/media who are promoting global governance are now questioning muslims in Britain on their dedication to nationalism.

This is ridiculous. Being British now means nothing more than what your passport says.

If being British isn't racial or religious then what is it?

You can't say it means being loyal to the Queen seeing as how anti-monarchism is a widespread idea and represented by some MP's.

On the flip side what if someone is against democracy and wants the monarchy back. In that sense dedication to democracy would seem to be a poor measure of whether one is British or not.

In terms of culture Britain has never really been culturally monolithic so to speak of Britishness in that sense doesn't make sense either.

"salaf" wrote:

This is ridiculous. Being British now means nothing more than what your passport says.

Apparently not everyone agrees on that point.

"Dave" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:

I meant in terms of what the government/media are promoting as being British. Not the opinions of individuals.

"salaf" wrote:

I meant in terms of what the government/media are promoting as being British. Not the opinions of individuals.

Gotcha.

"Dave" wrote:
"salaf" wrote:

being "British" never ever meant anything

like I said before-we have the least amount of people who vote in elections

and we dont even offer citizenship classes as other countries do

we're the LEAST nationalistic country-and its always been that way

Pages