Can money buy u happiness?

Research at the University of Warwick has shown that money can definitely buy you happiness.

simple question-do answer it

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

yes

Back in BLACK

No.

what did this research ask of it's partcipants, any specific questions?

Sure if you won the lottery you would be over the moon, "happy" if you like. But once the initial buzz had worn off would you really be happy? If you had no one to share it with? Or if you were left with a once loving, and caring family, who consequently fighting like cat and dog to get a piece of your winnings?

Having money can help towards achieving happiness. It can relieve you from the stress of worrying about who's gona pay the bills, your kids tuition fees, a holiday that you've not had in 10 years, those shoes you've always wanted etc etc.

In all these examples money can assist in a sense of happiness, but true happiness and contentment can't be attained with money. Happiness is something you have to make yourself, you cannot buy it, and no one can give it to you on a plate.

Salaam

Peace of mind, love and a feeling of satisfaction/contentment is invaluable and you can’t buy that with money…

However, as Yash pointed out, money does contribute towards achieving happiness.

I wanted to be a teacher since I was a child, if my parents didn’t have money then I wouldn’t be in higher education at the moment….

Most of my childhood was spent in a two bedroom flat in a racist area…if dad didn’t get a better job, we couldn’t have moved into a house and a better neighborhood….I’m sure moving houses contributed to my parents happiness…. and moving houses costs a LOT of money…

After spending three/fours odd years traveling on buses, getting up early, waiting for buses in freezing weather, being delayed etc…I hate public transport with a passion, so for me, my car is a novelty-I love it…and three odd years of taking lessons certainly cost a lot of money, so does car maintenance…

Taking mum shopping whenever she wants in my car brings me a lot of happiness…as she’s spent most of her life carrying heavy bags of shopping for us….I myself am lazy when it comes to carrying stuff. :?

It also feels good to be able to spend money on loved ones from time to time…

According to an article I read in the papers a while ago…moving houses/changing area’s, changing jobs, getting a makeover and holidays contribute to a person’s happiness, and obviously all of the above costs money.

Money can not buy you happiness… but it does play a strong part in contributing towards ones happiness.

Wasalaam

U need to b happy in ya minds world, when u happy in ya minds world, then money can add to that happinessizzle. But when u got money, n ya minds in an unhappy world, then money cant do nuffin but help u crash land into a cosy psyciatrists chair.

Ya Digg?

_____________- -SupeRazor- -_______________

Some ppl make their goals the stars.
They may live n die n never reach the stars,
but in the darkness of the night, those stars will guide them to their destination.
Becuz they made them in their eyesight

Killing makes psychotics very happy. When the knife goes in they feel euphoric. I would sooner have sanity and sometimes be unhappy. Of course you can spend money and be happy, or take cheer from security, but you can take cheer from other things, like sharing what little you have.

[size=10]I feel I'm gonna move on back down south
you know where the water tastes like cherry wine[/size]

True happyness is sooooooo over rated not to mention an incredibly rare thing...

So lets stick with plain happyness for the sake of the topic. Money does buy you peace of mind for the future, a secured future, peace of mind to do other things, to pursue other ventures. These would make you happy... therefore indirectly money does make you happy.

Its true that money dont buy you love... but you dont need love to be happy. And thats not the question she asked. Does money buy you happyness. Yes it does.

Money helps me buy things that makes me happy e.g. car, computer, mp3 player, new clothes... world peace.

Back in BLACK

Let me think??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Money makes people happy.

Oh yeah money cant buy you emotional things but you dont get that anywy.

I'd rather be rich than poor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think moneys not important then give it all away and then you'll see how important it is in keeping you happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :evil:

"Seek and you shall find."

Is there such a thing as 'longterm' happiness?

I am of the opinion you can be happy for a very short time only. Like when you recieve good news, wake up on the right side of the bed etc...

The rest of the time its not happiness, but being content with yourself.

The 'happiness' can probably be influenced by money. However that will not make you content.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

read some of the comments...

its easy to jus say no and not back it up, but Yashmaki has hit the nail on the head perfectly IMO.

i kinda understand where LilSis and MS come from, in the sense that money contributes to happiness.....but is that real happiness? what about when the money goes?

and cant one be happy when they have no money? coz i sure as hell do think so

give me no car, no flashy house, just enough to get by....But i a nice wife, and i'll be more than happy

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:

Yes!

I think you should have added a poll at the top.

Salaam

Moderation is the answer to most things in life.

Its naïve to believe without any money one can be happy, one just needs to look at the starving children in Africa to realise this..

But at the same time, it’s foolish to believe that money can be the source of all happiness.

Up until the age of 10 my family lived in relative poverty…after that I always received pocket money which only covered my needs such as food/travel etc… and for the first time ever I’ve been in part time employment for the last year now, so I can afford to spend a bit more freely….but I wouldn’t say that there has ever been a time in my life when I was the “happiest” or “most unhappy”…I’ve always been pretty happy individual.

Wasalaam

i wonder how many people are happy and chilling whilst living in extreme poverty :roll:

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
i wonder how many people are happy and chilling whilst living in extreme poverty :roll:

Is that supposed to be a rheotorical question?

How can you be happy and chilling whilst living in extrme poverty??

Money aint the source of all happyness but its a means to an end. It will help you get there alot easier.

Back in BLACK

what, by ur standards, are happiness?

a night/day out with mates?

some nice family time spent together = pricless

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Sirus" wrote:
what, by ur standards, are happiness?

a night/day out with mates?

some nice family time spent together = pricless

day out with mates or a night out with family is fun

but to enjoy the above-u need to be fed on time, have hot water for ur bath, clothes to cover ur body, heating in the freezing winter and a bed to sleep on

and guess what

food, clothes, heating etc cost money :roll:

MuslimSisLilSis,

I agree broadly and you've made excellent points.

Money buys essentials for survival including food, warm shelter and clothing. Money also buys other resources that contribute to happiness. Anyone who did not pay for these essentials ought to consider that somebody did. Of course there are other ways to experience happiness, but obviously not if you cannot afford to sustain your survival. Ways of having essentials that do not involve money, such as by growing food on public land, are increasingly unrealistic in our micromanaged urban societies, and require a great deal of self-sacrifice. Therefore it is obviously true at some level, that money can pay for a person's happiness. Money can also pay for things that will reduce happiness, such as a shiny monogrammed thumbscrew.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
Research at the University of Warwick has shown that money can definitely buy you happiness.

simple question-do answer it

Money can buy you things, happyness is something else.

"Don Karnage" wrote:

But doesn't buying things make you happy?

"Muslim Bro" wrote:
"Don Karnage" wrote:

But doesn't buying things make you happy?

The problem with being happy about your stuff is that you are creating a weakness in yourself. Now your happyness is subject to the status of some random trinket which could break, be stolen, get outdated, get lost, etc.

And there is a difference between the happyness generated from fulfilling basic needs (food clothing shelter) and the happyness that comes from having a good or superfluous amount of money. The first isn't really happyness that's gratefulness or relief - the second is just an illusion.

its happiness NOT happyness

and btw the question raised is about "money"

the amount is not issue

its an established fact that we need money for necessities and we'd be miserable without our basic needs

i havent read all the posts above cos i dnt have time
but i'll just answer the question.
i think money can buy u happinnes to a certain extent. but money cant buy u love, money cant buy u gd relationships with true friends and those around u, money doesnt lead u on the right path to heaven rather the opposite cos it seems people with money seem to get even more greedy.
i actually hate money, it frustrates me so much, i hate the fact that money makes the world round, i hate it!!!! money makes ppl selfish and full of greed.

smile and be happy!!!

madiha,

I don't have any money, so maybe my inexperience shows here, but how is money responsible for selfishness and greed?

"The Great 100" wrote:

I don't have any money,

so who pays for ur internet bill?

fairies? :roll:

"The Great 100" wrote:
madiha,

I don't have any money, so maybe my inexperience shows here, but how is money responsible for selfishness and greed?

I wouldnt say money is RESPONSIBLE for selfishness and greed. Greed is eternal Id say people are born with a certain level of greed which money seems to tempt into growing till it consumes and destroys them.

So who is worse? The greedy git or the money that tempted him? Which is the greater evil?

Back in BLACK

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
"The Great 100" wrote:

I don't have any money,

so who pays for ur internet bill?

fairies? :roll:

I do, but it just so happens I don't have any money.

Fairies MuslimSisLilSis?

Seraphim,

I take it as an extension of LilSis' point that having money is pretty important.

It is possible to be poor and/or living in relative poverty and be stingy and greedy...

Greed and money are not always linked...

Envy is actually permissible towards the rich who spend on the poor...

I'm not allowed envy.

"MuslimSisLilSis" wrote:
its happiness NOT happyness

and btw the question raised is about "money"

the amount is not issue

its an established fact that we need money for necessities and we'd be miserable without our basic needs

It's never brought me any happiness directly, at best addiction and at worse misery.

Happyness comes out of the blue. Like when I found out (literally at her graduation) Annette got her degree in the name "Annette Hamilton." Or when Mom and Dad started getting to know each other after I left and found out there was more behind their marriage than money and expediency afterall. Or when I see old friends returning back to church.

I think the only way money can bring you happiness is if you use it in a way God promises that you will be happy. For example giving it to charity, or to help other people.

The normal stuff people think would bring them happiness - like getting a couple extra cars, a carribbean island or an army of nubile servant girls is just gratuitous self indulgence and that doesn't last

i mean like
when a person has money they dnt seem to be satisfied, they just want more and more, understand??

smile and be happy!!!

Pages