What Do YOU Know About The Karbala?

239 posts / 0 new
Last post

keeping the month of muharram aside one important thing Muslimsis reminded me of is that sunni scholars rarely discuss the events of Karbala. Considering it's a part of our history. Considering we claim to love our prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) family as much as we love the sahabah (ra), why does it seem to get a low profile? It was not just Husayn (ra) who was killed that day but his entire family was slaughtered. So it's very significant.

You'll see the lack of material on the sunni version of Karbala if you do a quick google search, almost every article is from a shia perspective. Why is that? And books are equally lacking. It's as if sunnis are too scared to even discuss it?

We love our prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) family so we should reflect that by showing some sort of interest towards it. We should know about the events of Karbala as much as we know of the likes of Hamzah's (ra) death and mutilation on the battle field.

The issue isn't about mourning the death of Husayn (ra) and his family, no muslim here suggested we should immitate the shia like that, so why make false accusations? The more significant point is why does the sunni tradition seem to almost ignore the events of karbala. The danger is muslims like me could end up reading shia sources as legitimate readings, coz many of their articles don't point out they are shia. Shouldn't sunni scholars produce material to protect muslims from this sort of confusion? Don't tell me i'm "imagining" this void.

"yashmaki" wrote:
keeping the month of muharram aside one important thing Muslimsis reminded me of is that sunni scholars rarely discuss the events of Karbala. Considering it's a part of our history. Considering we claim to love our prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) family as much as we love the sahabah (ra), why does it seem to get a low profile? It was not just Husayn (ra) who was killed that day but his entire family was slaughtered. So it's very significant.

You'll see the lack of material on the sunni version of Karbala if you do a quick google search, almost every article is from a shia perspective. Why is that? And books are equally lacking. It's as if sunnis are too scared to even discuss it?

We love our prophet's Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) family so we should reflect that by showing some sort of interest towards it. We should know about the events of Karbala as much as we know of the likes of Hamzah's (ra) death and mutilation on the battle field.

The issue isn't about mourning the death of Husayn (ra) and his family, no muslim here suggested we should immitate the shia like that, so why make false accusations? The more significant point is why does the sunni tradition seem to almost ignore the events of karbala. The danger is muslims like me could end up reading shia sources as legitimate readings, coz many of their articles don't point out they are shia. Shouldn't sunni scholars produce material to protect muslims from this sort of confusion? Don't tell me i'm "imagining" this void.

Great post Yash!

Only today I was talking to my friends about how little I know about the Karbala.

Last year I went to a Sunni Mosque who had invited a Shia Imam to speak about the events of Karbala...

However, why can't a sunni scholar speak about Karbala....like you said, it was not just Hadrat Husayn (ra) who was killed that day...

And more annoyingly...when the topic of karbala doescome up...some people are quick to ask "Are you a Shia"?

Like discussing the events of Karbala is just a "Shia" thing.

This extreme desire to seperate ourselves from the "Shia" has left us ignorant regarding important aspects of our own Islamic history.

And like you said, there should be a lot of sunni info available regarding the Karbala.

There is a wealth of literature available on Karbala in urdu and to a limited extent in english by ulama of Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah.

To expect the Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah to ever emphasise Karbala as much as the Shi'tes is unrealisitc as a large portion of Shi'tism is based on Karbala whereas for Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah it is not.

Alhamdulillah we love the Sahabah Karaam and the Ahlul Bayt.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

No one is saying emphasise it as the shia do. Since most of us can't read Urdu, even those who are native Pakistanis those sources can't help us, unless scholars provide more audio talks perhaps.

Salaam

I really should have posted this hadith up yesterday.

Basically it should be Ashura tomorrow.

The Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) used to fast on the day of Ashura.

He Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) said: “For fasting the day of Ashura I hope that Allah will accept it as expiation for the year that went before.” (Muslim).

According to another hadith to distinguish our fast from the non Muslims we should fast for two days…so we should fast on Thursday AND Friday. (We could have fasted today and tomorrow).

We really should fast guys…three lots of ten days are considered holy in Islam. The last ten days of Ramadan, the first ten days of Dhull Hajj and first ten days of Muhurrum.

It was on the tenth of Muhurrum that Allah (swt) drowned Pharoah and saved the people of Hadrat Musa (AS).

In fact many things happened on the 10th...I think it was the day when the flood stopped (or started? :? ) in the Hadrat Nuh (AS) incident.

And we all know about the benefits of fasting don’t we….

Wasalaam

Excellent...

Today was the first fast i kept.......it shall follow on by tomorrows,

maybe will keep fridays fast to.

I was the only one who kept it today

didnt fast today

Inshallah tomorrow tho

i saw Shia's beating themselves yesterday on wilmslow road :shock:

they then turned off the end of the road and walked down to their mosque, beating themselves along the way, and their mosque was opposite a school.....and the kids and parents were looking on thinkin... :?

they had a white horse all dressed up......and with red stains down its legs

and then behind it, a shrine

it was sick the way they beated themselves and what they were chanting :shock:

luckily (or not) they didnt get out the knives, i think that was supposed to happen today

[size=7]i recorded it btw[/size]

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Fresh Prince" wrote:

i saw Shia's beating themselves yesterday on wilmslow road :shock:

they then turned off the end of the road and walked down to their mosque, beating themselves along the way, and their mosque was opposite a school.....and the kids and parents were looking on thinkin... :?

they had a white horse all dressed up......and with red stains down its legs

and then behind it, a shrine

it was sick the way they beated themselves and what they were chanting :shock:

luckily (or not) they didnt get out the knives, i think that was supposed to happen today

[size=7]i recorded it btw[/size]

What were you doing watching them :evil: [size=7]how sad[/size]

Then you go recording em... Very bad.

I didnt know Shias here got knives out.. i thought that just happened in pakistan and iran or somat..

Btw... i saw shias beat themselves up today aswell in some what next street next to mine.....felt really sick...could here the noise of the beatings in my own street...loads of people and police everywhere..Yep saw the horse to bechara couldnt help but feel sorry for it..
and the chanting had bad effect on my fast :x wonder what they chant.

they were chanting in punjabi, 'come out of the grave and hug me'

i didnt go to watch em, i was going wilmslow road and they were there - i asked em, how come - it aint 10th yet

they said cops wont let us have thursday, only today

so it was by chance i saw them

and then my mate took my fone and recorded em

and they do get knives out, probs small ones.....even kids :shock:

they had some [i]NASTY[/i] scars and bruises on thier backs

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

BBC today had something about the Shi'ite festival:

[b]WHAT IS ASHURA?[/b]

The day of Ashura is marked by Muslims as a whole, but for Shia Muslims it is a major religious festival which commemorates the martyrdom at Karbala of Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammad.

It falls on the 10th of Muharram, the first month of the Islamic lunar calendar.

It is marked by Muslims as a whole with a voluntary day of fasting which commemorates the day Noah left the Ark, and the day that Moses was saved from the Egyptians by God.

For Shia Muslims, Ashura is a solemn day mourning the martyrdom of Hussein in 680 AD at Karbala in modern-day Iraq.

It is made up of mourning rituals and passion plays re-enacting the martyrdom.

Shia men and women dressed in black also parade through the streets slapping their chests and chanting.

Some Shia men seek to emulate the suffering of Hussein by flagellating themselves with chains or cutting their foreheads until blood streams from their bodies.

Some Shia leaders and groups discourage the bloodletting, saying it creates a backward and negative image of Shia Muslims. Such leaders encourage people to donate blood.

Islamic schism

The killing of Hussein was an event that led to the split in Islam into two main sects - Sunnis and Shias.

In early Islamic history the Shia were a political faction (known as the "party of Ali") that supported Ali, son-in-law of the Prophet Mohammed and the fourth caliph (temporal and spiritual ruler) of the Muslim community.

Ali was murdered in AD 661 and his chief opponent, Muawiya, became caliph. The great schism between Sunnis and Shias occurred when Imam Ali did not succeed as leader of the Islamic community at the death of the Prophet.

Caliph Muawiya was later succeeded by his son Yazid, but Ali's son Hussein refused to accept his legitimacy and fighting between the two resulted.

Hussein and his followers were massacred in battle near Karbala in AD 680.

Both Ali's and Hussein's deaths gave rise to the Shia cult of martyrdom, and to their sense of betrayal and struggle against injustice, oppression and tyranny.

Today, the Shias make up about 15% of the total worldwide Muslim population.

mashaALLAH I am sure people here who are ''sunni'' are well aware that Sayyidina Hussayn and a great number of the Ahlul Bayt were martyed on 10th Muharram.

Pray tell me, a true Sunni would also know what day Sayyidina Umar radhiyallahu anh was martyred? According to the Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah, if the imaan of ALL people after the Ambiya alayhimus salaam and Sayyidina Abu Bakr radhiyallahu anh were placed on one scale, and the imaan of Sayyidina Umar radhiyallahu anh on the other end of the scale; then the imaan of Sayyidina Umar radhiyallahu anh would be more and weightier. This Umar, whose rank is most superior after the Prophets and Sayyidina Abu Bakr radhiyallahu anh; this Umar whom the so-called "Sunnis" claim to love and follow.

Pray tell me about HIS martyrdom.

Pray tell me, a true Sunni would also know what day Sayyidina Uthman radhiyallahu anh was martyred? According to the Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama'ah, if the imaan of ALL people after the Ambiya alayhimus salaam, Sayyidina Abu Bakr and Sayyidina Umar radhiyallahu anhuma were placed on one scale, and the imaan of Sayyidina Uthman radhiyallahu anh on the other end of the scale; then the imaan of Sayyidina Uthman radhiyallahu anh would be more and weightier. This Uthman, whose rank is most superior after the Prophets alayhimus salaam, Sayyidina Abu Bakr and Sayyidina Umar radhiyallahu anhuma; this Uthman whom the so-called "Sunnis" claim to love and follow.

Pray tell me about HIS martyrdom.

Pray tell me why you're chatting about karbala -specifically since the 10th of Muhurrum is 2moro

why are u following the "innovation of the shia"?

and pray tell me what the hell ur doing back when its clear that ur not wanted here :roll:

"naj" wrote:
Omrow Q. R u a shia ?

y, does anyone who disagrees with Med on this topic have to be a shi'a?

and :roll: Lol at the deletion of omrow's post.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Aasiyah.......i didnt ask because of the disagreement./ didnt read through what was said..

Just asking generally since seeing the post he quoted

That ok...

LilSis what Q got deleted.?

"naj" wrote:
Aasiyah.......i didnt ask because of the disagreement./ didnt read through what was said..

Just asking generally since seeing the post he quoted

That ok...

LilSis what Q got deleted.?

:roll: the very question u are referring to - omrow's.

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

"naj" wrote:
It did not get deleted :?

i see u are referring to omrow's article as opposed to his Q directed at Med, which is wot got deleted...

"*DUST*" wrote:
"naj" wrote:
It did not get deleted :?

i see u are referring to omrow's article as opposed to his Q directed at Med, which is wot got deleted...

Oh i c ....... not much of a question that was... more like name-calling :roll:

Worshippers die in Pakistan blast

At least 27 people have been killed in a suspected suicide bomb attack and in subsequent violence at a religious procession in north-west Pakistan.
The explosion tore through a crowd of Shia Muslims marking the Ashura festival in the town of Hangu, sparking rioting among pilgrims.

Pakistan has a history of tension between Shia and Sunni Muslims.

Five people also died in Sunni-Shia fighting in Herat, western Afghanistan, on Thursday, doctors said.

The explosion in Hangu, in Pakistan's North-West Frontier Province, struck a bazaar as hundreds of people walked in a procession from the main Shia mosque in the town.

The army has sent in troops and a curfew has been imposed. No-one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

"We thought the bomb was detonated by remote control, but now it appears to be a suicide attack," local police chief Ayub Khan told the Associated Press news agency.

About 3,000 Shias protested on the streets of Karachi over the killings.

[url=

This happens every year... :?

Yesterday was Ashura day. I did matam. I beat my chest for Imam Hussain alaisalaam. My dad did zanjeer. lot of blood came out of his back. children too used knives to cut their bodies.

All of us came out on the streets. We held the annual procession. Everybody was out even women joined at the back of the march. Then there was a majlis and we heard speeches on Karbala.

Ayatollah rightly named America as "Great Satan".

Hello Malik, nice to see you back

"malik" wrote:
Yesterday was Ashura day. I did matam. I beat my chest for Imam Hussain alaisalaam. My dad did zanjeer. lot of blood came out of his back. children too used knives to cut their bodies.

All of us came out on the streets. We held the annual procession. Everybody was out even women joined at the back of the march. Then there was a majlis and we heard speeches on Karbala.

hey malik, thought ud left! so welcome back.

i have shi'a friends who dont believe in doing matam... :?

I knew a shia at uni who was all against all this beating. well all apart from tapping the chest.

He said tapping the chest was cultural at shock...

But this self harming... how is that justified? and is 'matam' not for a max of three days? (not annual, but three days from actual event,,, centuries ago...)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Aasiyah ..Admin that might probably be coz shias have diff sects so differ on slight issues....

Malik; what is this zanjeer?

I watched the manchester muharram special yesterday on DM about shias...

felt :shock: and was pretty frightning

I dont know why my reply was deleted. Perhaps Admin would provide a reasonable explanation.

"naj" wrote:
Aasiyah ..Admin that might probably be coz shias have diff sects so differ on slight issues....

Malik; what is this zanjeer?

I watched the manchester muharram special yesterday on DM about shias...

felt :shock: and was pretty frightning

Zanjeer is self flagellation - they do it to commemorate the martydom of Hussein

Pages