What Do YOU Know About The Karbala?

Salaam

Muhurrum starts next week. It’s the first month of the Islamic calendar and it’s when the Karbala took place.

It was in the battle of Karbala that Imam Hussain (ra) and most of his noble family was brutally killed on the battlefield by the armies sent by Yazeed bin Mu'awiyyah.

Up until only a few years ago…I knew absolutely nothing about Karbala. It is not something that’s stressed as much in many Mosques around here.

As a result many Sunni’s are ignorant about the events of Karabala.

There are many, many lessons to be derived from the events of Karbala….Imam Hussain (ra) did not compromise with the falsehood. He sacrificed not only his own life but all of his family and children for the sake of truth and to save the glory Islam. This teaches us that commitment to right and truth should be above all other personal benefit and interests.

What lessons or messages do YOU derive out of the events of Karbala?

Why are the events of karbala not narrated as much in many mosques?

How should we behave during this month? Is it wrong to express happiness and/or get married this month?

What do you know about what took place in the battle of Karbala? Do NOT copy paste long articles pls…

Why do people distribute haleem this month?

And maybe I’m asking for too much…but please, PLEASE be mature and humble enough to contribute to this thread without bashing shia’s/wahabi’s etc and make room for differences of opinion. Keep sectarianism out of this thread.

Please share all you know…

Wasalaam

We have an [url= on this topic on the website. However I may replace/remove it as I am not really happy with it. There are a few things that do not make sense, and there is a possibility it may be of shi'ite origin. I have asked a few people to look into it, but have not had a response...

I do not believe we focus enough on Islamic history as a whole really. I recently found out the timeline of the muslim empire reading Wikipedia!

(I have said before we normally study life of prophet >>> the rightly guided caliphs >>> martyrdom Imam Hussain >>> Umar the second >>> Harun Rashid >>> Sallahudin Ayubi >>> 1924, with the loss of spain somewhere in there...and that was because I studied Islamic history as a part if AS Level RE!)

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

I actually didn't know that Sunni muslims paid much interest in Karbala - I know the Shia consider it important for obvious reasons but I figured since Sunnis don't place such an emphasis on Hussein all that much they didn't bother

On the contrary.

He was the grandson of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him)

The Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) stated 'Hussain is from me, and I am from Hussain. Allah will love those who love Hussain'.

What we quibble over is wether the leadership of Amir Mu'awiyah, Yazid's father, was legitimate or not. We both agree Yazid's position was not acceptable.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

Mu'awiyah was the famous general wasn't he?

"Don Karnage" wrote:
I actually didn't know that Sunni muslims paid much interest in Karbala - I know the Shia consider it important for obvious reasons but I figured since Sunnis don't place such an emphasis on Hussein all that much they didn't bother

This is a mentality shared by some Muslims.

My mum is going to do a speech on Karbala next week.

She was asked if some people if she’s a Shia. :?

But its important for Sunni’s as well as Shia’s to know what happened in the battle of Karbala.

Obviously, sometimes the account may differ.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Mu'awiyah was the famous general wasn't he?

Khalid Ibn Waleed was 'the famous general'...

Amir Muawiyah was also a general, then governor of syria. Later he became the caliph in the year of Unity when Hadhrat Imam Hassan (Hadhrat Imam Hussain's brother) gave up his position to unite the umah.

Regarding this there is also a hadith of the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) which says that Hassan will unite two factions of the prophet (saw)'s ummah. This hadith is probably rejected by shia's.

Discussing various aspects of Islamic History is good but to speciify certain subjects for certain times is innovation. The events of Karbala etc can just as easily be explained in Ramadaan rather than in the build up to Muharram.

It is from the imitation of the shia to do this.

I will refrain from it and inshaALLAH at a time which is correct may perhaps say a little.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:
Discussing various aspects of Islamic History is good but to speciify certain subjects for certain times is innovation. The events of Karbala etc can just as easily be explained in Ramadaan rather than in the build up to Muharram.

It is from the imitation of the shia to do this.

I will refrain from it and inshaALLAH at a time which is correct may perhaps say a little.

Intresting.

I've always thought its common sense to speak about the virtues of Ramadan in Ramadan...the virtues of Hajj in Dhul hajj...and Shaaban/Rajab in Shabaan/Rajab etc etc

Of course, we can also speak about them as well all year round.

Muharrams virtues have nothing to do with Karbala or with the Ahlul Bayt.

Just as Rabi al Awwal has nothing to do with Milad. We reject whatever has been innovated.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:

Muharrams virtues have nothing to do with Karbala or with the Ahlul Bayt.

I'm sure they don't.

A brutal historic battle can not add to the virtues of a month.

The events of Karbala occurred in Muharram. I would find it apt to discuss them in Muharram.

After all the months of the year are not a bidd'ah. They are there for a reason. And some have been referenced in the Qur'an.

We come from different views. By your people it is the culture to celebrate anniversaries be they death (Karbala) or birth (Rabi al Awwal) or feasting (giyarveen) or battles (badr) etc. These are marked yearly.

By us we find no indication that this is an ibaadah in either the Quran or the Sunnah and so refrain from innovated "acts of worship".

We agree to disagree.

Hope whoever talks here spreads truth and exposes who the true villains of Karbala were, who the true martyrs were, who the true loyal servants to Islaam were and who the true traitors were.

A few questions that should be addressed:

1. The status of Ameer Muawiyah ibn Abi Sufyaan radhiyallahu anhuma.

2. The ruling in regards to rebelling against the ruler.

3. The role of the Kufans throughout this. Why, when, how their attitudes and loyalties changed.

4. Also for this to be understood fully the three choices that Sayyidina Hussayn presented before Umar ibn Sa'd, and the subsequent letter sent by himself to Ibn Ziyad.

Any1 who wants the burden of explaining the truth of this event rather than fabricating or making it a simple issue should deal with these issues specifically in detail.

I will NOT discuss this issue until an appropriate time is reached.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Med" wrote:

When will that be?

Bid'ah?!

You cannot wait for an appropriate time!

:twisted:

"MuslimSister" wrote:
"Med" wrote:

When will that be?

I am unsure at the moment.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Ok I will give a serious answer rebuking Med's assertions.

Written by Moi. When?? well... now!

Quote:
[size=18]On timeliness and Godliness![/size]
[i]By al Shaykh al halwa wal Imamul gajrela Admin![/i]

[b]Teach in the path of Alah using wisdom[/b]

The qur'an saysteach the path of Allah using wisdom. What dioes this mean?

Well... at the time of conflict bring people closer to Allah (swt) by talking about conflict. At the time of happiness bring people closer to Allah (swt) by talking about happiness.

So talk about everything at the appropriate time.

[b]I disagree! This does not mean you can have anniversaries! Bid'ah Bid'ah! Bid'ah![/b]

Well. Read the Qur'an. On the anniversaries to one of the wars it was revealed to not say of those people who died (or were killed to be more accurate) in the path of allah as dead.

So you are probably thinking....noone is talking about what to think about shaheeds! But I say look at why the verse was revealed! It was revealed at an anniversary of a battle when the shaheed were beng called dead. People were remembering the anniversary.

[b]A one off?[/b]

Well... No. Not really. At the anniversary of the next battle, a diferent verse was revealed. Do not even think of these people as dead.

Again, on the anniversay of a battle.

I rest my case.

Don't "rebike" too hard Admin - you might hurt yourself

[EDIT] but where's the fun in that?!

I corrected the spelling error.

"Don Karnage" wrote:
Don't "rebike" too hard Admin - you might hurt yourself

[EDIT] but where's the fun in that?!

"Admin" wrote:
[i]By al Shaykh al halwa wal Imamul gajrela Admin![/i]

Lol

[size=9]I NEVER WORE IT BECAUSE OF THE TALIBAN, MOTHER. I LIKE THE [b]MODESTY[/b] AND [b]PROTECTION[/b] IT AFFORDS ME FROM THE EYES OF MEN.[/size] [url=, X-Men[/url]

Quote:

By al Shaykh al halwa wal Imamul gajrela Admin!

didnt see that....... Lol Lol Lol

and i humbly confess, am his mureed

The Lover is ever drunk with love;
He is free, he is mad,
He dances with ecstasy and delight.

Caught by our own thoughts,
We worry about every little thing,
But once we get drunk on that love,
Whatever will be, will be.

ɐɥɐɥ

"Admin" wrote:

I do not believe we focus enough on Islamic history as a whole really. I recently found out the timeline of the muslim empire reading Wikipedia!

lol i thought i was the only one that studies islam on wikipedia!

anyone got any info about Ali's martydom coz i aint got a clue :oops:

has that got anything to do with the even shias celebrete when they hit them selves.

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

"2" wrote:
:

has that got anything to do with the even shias celebrete when they hit them selves.

They done celebrate, they mourn but its against Islam as you are harming yourself but since this is not a thread bout Shia's we'll talk bout the topic at hand

We always have many programmes here in Scotland and one we organise ourselves here. I dont think Muharram is a time to celebrate nor mourn but rather it is to remeber why all of the family of the Holy Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam (Peace and Blessings be upon him) was martyred.

Due to the Shahada of Imam Hussain (ra) we have Islam in our lives today. Yazeeed the corrupt ruler had said to Imam Hussain (ra) that you do your preachin of Islam and i will do my thing ie promote illegal relationships, drinking etc but Imam Hussain (ra) couldn't bear to see the downfall of Islam as Islam isnt only about preaching but talkin and taking action against the wrong-doing.

nah man i was on about ali

what happend to him?

What you put in the hearts of others; is what goes back into your own heart…

"MuslimSister" wrote:

Why do people distribute haleem this month?

I know the story behind that dish

gather around ppl...

basically when the people were all martyred in the battle-only women and children survied

they had hardly any food

but what they DID have-a bit of lentil, meat, wheat etc they mixed it all together

thats where the "haleem" orginated frm

its very yummy and a popular dish n karachi

till this day people continue this biddah by singling out Muhurrum for haleem distribution

God bless em

specifying the eating of haleem to any certain time is an innovation with no backing in Quran or Sunnah.

Worship is as proscribed in the Quran and Sunnah.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Its not worhip. Its food.

And I feel slightly bad saying I cannot stand the thing.

Then again I have only had it from takeways, and what I suspect they do is make one dish one day, another the next, and the third day mix the leftovers, and call it haleem!

"Med" wrote:
specifying the eating of haleem to any certain time is an innovation with no backing in Quran or Sunnah.

Worship is as proscribed in the Quran and Sunnah.

Med, seriously.

There is nothing in the sources to specify that corn flakes should be eaten at breakfast, but people do it anyway.

salaam

does any body know of any good speeches!! in urdu, about the events of the Karabala have searched and iam still searching the Minhaj-ul-Quran website, all seem to be a bit vague, saying that havent lisend to them all in full!! if anybody can please help id be very grateful i have a speech to prepare for the 5th!!

JazakAllah

Wa/salaam

Beast bro, the difference is that people have made it a part of religion and have made it an act of virtue and worship.

Thus it is rejected.

The issue is clear, alhamdulillah.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Pages