Creationism v. Evolution

I've recently given up on the Creationist absolutist position. While i'm convinced of the merits of Evolution I do think that this means Creationism shouldn't be taught in schools - though that has more to do with a Constitutional argument.

I'm not sure what the Islamic belief of the creation of the world is but assuming from what you have said about adam and eve before I am sure it is at least acceptably similar to the Christian story in this instance.

Is there anybody here who embraces creationism based on [i]scientific[/i] grounds rather than religious belief? And, if you could, share whatever that scientific basis is with us.

Also how through creationism can we address issues like Carbon dating, the dinosaurs, and evidence of human activity well before 6,000 years ago?

Why are evolution and God incompatible

[i]"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."[/i] --A. Einstein

We reject atheism and evolutionism.

We are creationist but ALLAH Most High has not made us witness over OUR or the Universe'S creation.

Putting a date on age of earth, or wanting some deep explanation about dinosaurs in my opinion is futile discussion.

ALLAH is KHALIQ - The Creator - and upon this is our imaan.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

Muslims like to say that the Qur'an is full of scientific facts - pointing to a somewhat allegorical description of fetal development.

Why is evolution such a prominent exception?

I am no big pusher of scientific facts.

What I do know is that the Quran is true, if science agrees with Quran then science has done right, if science TODAY preaches something anti-Quran then i say we dont have enough knowledge about this and that science has not made a fully informed judgment.

Evolution is only a theory.

I dont see the big deal in it.

It is our belief that the world is God's ACTION, the Quran is God's Speech. In our religion, after Prophethood the greatest rank is that of Siddeeq- One who is extremely veracious.

And when God loves truth so much we cannot imagine that there could be even the slightest possibiliity of conflict between Gods Speech (Quran) and Gods Actions (the world around us.)

Hence whatever is in the Quran is expressed in the world, and whatever the world is is expressed in Quran.

If they apparently dont match it is because we havent understood.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

However if the Qur'an is perfect and there is no compulsion in religion you certainly must be free to test the perfection of the Qur'an based on empiracle study. Are you not doing a disservice to yourself to ignore approaching it from the other angle as well?

Standing firm on the assertion that Science must be wrong because the Qur'an is right doesn't prove Qur'anic perfection, it simply demonstrates your strength of faith.

Shouldn't muslims address why Evolution is wrong and the Qur'an is right on terms other than uninclusive faith when asked?

Alot of questions on alot of topics today dave...

I will give all of them an attempt.. but I have a few things to do first.

Just a few points:

The qur'an is NOT a book of science. However the science mentioned in it is fact. I will go into this further later. I have a few things to say, but rshing on them is not an option... it will cause fitnah...

Evolution is not the same as natural selection. The science has so far shown natural selection.

Creation is not as simple as people make it out. Why would god make a system (the universe), and then ignore the system to create the life?

and aother important philisophical questions is if humans are cloned, will the clone have a soul?

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

mashaALLAH very good points.

There is nothing wrong in empirical research and observation. Infact I am certain that empirical observation of the world around us points to a Creator.

And I believe there are detailed books available discrediting the evolution theory.

My comments were not to be taken that muslims shouldnt bother with science etc. I was only speaking for myself that I dont really find science that interesting; it doesnt do anything for me.

I have friends who are well into science and religion being hand in hand and thats good for them.

So basically, I was only on about myself that I personally dont have much interest in science and Quran. We all have different tastes, bruv.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

"Admin" wrote:
and aother important philisophical questions is if humans are cloned, will the clone have a soul?

Really good question... there should be a topic on it or perhaps a medical ethics in islam topic that addresses it

"Med" wrote:
So basically, I was only on about myself that I personally dont have much interest in science and Quran. We all have different tastes, bruv.

Oh certainly - i'm just feeling inquisitive tonight, not trying to put you on the spot.

But if it sounds like you all agree empiracle evidence is not bad, and that it will back up the Qur'an - why doesn't it in this instance?

Or perhaps dovetailing off of Admins point - does it vindicate the Qur'an through the evidence for natural selection, but not evolution?

Does the Qur'an agree with any of the principles (like natural selection) that Darwin suggested or further research has revised?

Burv, you're acting like evolution theory is proved.

I dont knw the details, but there is loads of fill in the gaps in evolution theory.

Basically, my mate who knows a lot about this goes that evolution theory is pretty rubbish scientific explanation and he just goes on and on and on about why, I tune out.

Suffice that I am sure that any science we see will not conflict with QURAN, and we need to remember as well that science is not objective either. The interpretation of data is subjective.

Ya ALLAH Madad.
Haq Chaar Yaar

All I know about this topic is the qur'an says life started in water.

And some professor from Nottingham has done some research on this and his conclusion was that not even full blown evolution is fully contradictory with Islam.

As a sde note, most scientists do not accept the dumbed down version of evolution fed to us all as fact.

Just like in chemistry, in A Levels the first lesson was all that you have learnt for the last 5 years is a lie. Throw it in the bin.

Some science is just some dumbed down for the masses, that it no longer holds the truth.

"For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'" - David Cameron, UK Prime Minister. 13 May 2015.

"Med" wrote:
Burv, you're acting like evolution theory is proved.

I dont knw the details, but there is loads of fill in the gaps in evolution theory.

Basically, my mate who knows a lot about this goes that evolution theory is pretty rubbish scientific explanation and he just goes on and on and on about why, I tune out.

Suffice that I am sure that any science we see will not conflict with QURAN, and we need to remember as well that science is not objective either. The interpretation of data is subjective.

Well I accept Evolution over Creationist arguments - but I don't find anything religiously wrong with that. I don't know if it's the 100% factual truth, but there is certainly far more evidence than for Adam and Eve or a 7 day creation.

I'm certainly very open to any information that challenges the data behind evolution.

"Admin" wrote:
All I know about this topic is the qur'an says life started in water.

And some professor from Nottingham has done some research on this and his conclusion was that not even full blown evolution is fully contradictory with Islam.

As a sde note, most scientists do not accept the dumbed down version of evolution fed to us all as fact.

Just like in chemistry, in A Levels the first lesson was all that you have learnt for the last 5 years is a lie. Throw it in the bin.

Some science is just some dumbed down for the masses, that it no longer holds the truth.

That's very interesting about the water. And you're right a lot of science has been sacrificed for the almighty soundbite.